• ...
51
 1,533
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
Noi

Stella was sliding closer, just barely. Twilight wasn't moving back, instead the distance between them was shrinking, slowly, bit by bit. It was a contest of endurance, and with how much energy they poured into each moment even Stella's outburst of rage was quelled eventually. She was stuck staring at Twilight with a more neutral expression, always pushing against her, gaining progressive slivers. There was no backing down and the exertion on both of them was still great, but it was a slow process, one that invoked thought despite everything.

The two alicorns looked at each other through the distortions their magical clash brought about, hardly seeing their faces but always finding one another's eyes to stare at. Stella's weren't as bloodshot as they'd been when she'd charged forward, and Twilight's weren't glowing as fully anymore, although they still had some light in them.

There was no air to carry words and no room for them to speak with all of their bodies focused on their struggle, but still there was a way for them to exchange words, thoughts put into syntax and structure, riding along the waves of the magic each poured against the other and then farther along to where the one standing in front could sense them and understand them and hear, without hearing, what the other had meant to say. It was slower than talking, not quite as clear.

Twilight went first. "What do you think you'll get out of this? Why are you even doing it? Do you really think killing me will prove anything meaningful?"

Rage ignited in Stella once more, and she pushed forward slightly more than she had until a moment before. "You wouldn't understand. You can't understand. Even if I showed you. You're beneath me, and you must be eliminated."

"What good do you think that will do you? What about the rest of Equestria? You'll be treated like a monster by everyone."

"They'll think what I want them to think. They'll treat me like I want them to treat me. Like I deserve to be treated. It doesn't matter what they may think now, not with my coil and my powers. But you'll have the pleasure of seeing me as I am and remembering me for the short rest of your life."

"Why now? Why anything and everything you've done? All the time spent with Chrysalis, taking the scales and holding on to them for so long, why all of this? What's the point in any of it? You're walking in circles, Stella."

"What does it matter to you? It's none of your business, and you have more important things to focus on right now. But I suppose if you know you're going to die soon you may as well wish to sate your curiosity."

Their horns were just about to touch. Twilight looked at Stella. She was sad, and tired, and resigned. "I'm not sure if it's right for me to be sorry."

Then there was a red flash.

PreviousChapters Next