• ...
51
 1,533
 5,537

PreviousChapters Next
Day of The Moon

Nightmare Moon did not look surprised by Twilight's refusal. If anything, she looked amused, but her expression didn't really seem to have changed at all. "Do you speak for all of your ponies?" she asked Twilight.

"As their ruler, I do," Twilight said. "And it is because I have their best interest in mind and at heart that I choose not to surrender them to you. That I choose to fight, if that is my only other choice."

"Are they aware that their queen is condemning them so?" Nightmare Moon lowered slightly her neck, and her grin spread wide. Too wide. Too many fangs. "Are they aware of the carnage that awaits them because you refused to surrender? Are they aware of the way their lives will be ruined because of your decision?"

Twilight still held Nightmare Moon's gaze. "My ponies trust in me." Her voice rose a little as she said, "But if any of those here are against my decision, they are free to speak their mind." No one did, and after a few seconds of silence she continued, in her previous tone, "I do not trust your words, but even if I did I would not trust your rule over my citizens. I believe that I am doing what is best for them, and I am putting my own life on the line for it. That is all."

"It is war that you want, then," said Nightmare Moon. "It is war you choose."

"It is war you came to bring. It is war you threatened us with to make us surrender. Don't mistake conquest for peace."

Nightmare Moon did not answer with words. She merely smiled, showing an unnaturally wide display of sharp fangs, while her slit pupils rested firmly on Twilight. Then her wings flared. Magic enveloped her horn. Her starry, nebulous mane rose up in swirling spirals. The pool of shadow at her hooves broke out into a carpet of darkness running like oil as it spread over the ground in the entire town, causing those guards who were close to earth and had wings to instinctively take flight.

Cold winds began to blow through the streets of the city, and shadows started to creep over buildings, as a foggy kind of darkness settled over everything, obscuring the light. Soon something worse followed. The sky went from clear cyan to midnight blue, and darkening still. The Sun's light dimmed, as if the darkness surrounding it was consuming it.

The feeling of illness that had affected everyone only multiplied. More than a few guards doubled over or lost their footing, and took a while to regain their composure. Even those more used to or capable of dealing with the malaise flinched as the tide or darkness passed over them.

The Moon rose unnaturally through the black and starless sky, and came over the Sun to cover its sight, but it too was swallowed by the blackness surrounding it. Darkness deeper than the deepest night fell over the Empire, barely cut through by the many magical lights cast by those who could, and never past a certain distance. The only thing everyone could still see clearly was Nightmare Moon herself, standing in front of Twilight, grinning with her eyes wide. "So it is, then."

Heavy sounds of marching hooves and something heavier still began to echo throughout the city.

PreviousChapters Next