• ...
51
 1,533
 5,537

PreviousChapters Next
ThInFi

"I suppose." The Charioteer clicked his tongue. "So, anything else you want to ask?" He threw a sideways glance at Stella, still standing there and staring at them.

"She can't see me, right?" Stella asked. Then she thought better of it, and turned towards Starshine instead. "You can't see me, right?" Then she thought better of that as well, and said, "Sunburst sure is a worthless idiot, isn't he?"

Starshine's complete lack of reactions was enough to convince Stella she was indeed not being seen. The non-purple alicorn instead was looking at the Charioteer, pushing her tongue against the inside of her cheek as she tried to think of something. "You don't mind if I tell Twilight about this meeting, right?"

"Of course I don't. I wouldn't be letting it happen otherwise," the Charioteer replied. "Oh, by the way. Wanna see something cool?"

"Always," Stashine said, suddenly beaming with excitement. Then she frowned a bit. "Just, you know, as long as it doesn't involve more destruction."

"Don't worry about that. Think of a number." The Charioteer looked deep into Starshine's eyes. "Any number. And I mean really any number."

Starshine bit her lower lip as she thought about it. "Okay. Got it."

"Minus ninety-one point twenty-five time square root of thirteen."

"Wro- Wait no that's right." Starshine stared confused at the stallion. "I mean I guess that is cool but it's also kinda creepy. But yeah, that's the one I was thinking of."

"I thought you said you can't read minds," Stella pointed out. "Wait, no, you didn't say that. You said you weren't doing it. Then again you might have been lying."

"Did you read my mind?" asked Starshine.

"No, actually," the Charioteer said. "It's a little more complicated than that. Watch out for the unstable brick by the way."

"What unstable-" Starshine was cut off as a portion of the pile of rubble she was sitting on gave out, making her tumble and roll to the ground. "Oh. I get it." She remained motionless on her side, staring towards the sky.

Or at least at what she thought was the sky, as she was actually staring straight through Stella, who stared back at her before looking at the Charioteer again. "Care to explain that?"

He ignored her, and began to whistle a tune.

"What's that song?" Starshine asked, without moving from her spot on the ground.

"I don't think it has a name," the Charioteer replied, his whistling uninterrupted as he spoke. "The black llamas who live on the Boiling Mountain use to sing it when they go into the Blue Forest, and teach their children to do the same. They say it keeps the shykkoroks away."

"What's a shykkorok?" asked Starshine.

"I have absolutely no idea," the Charioteer said with a laugh. "I don't even know what universe that place is in. But it does mean that the song evolves with time, if you will. There's no written version, it's more of a general idea of how it's supposed to go and everyone has their own spin on it. So there's really no wrong way to play it."

PreviousChapters Next