• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,866 Views, 795 Comments

Robot Pony - Dreadnought

  • ...
22
 795
 3,866

PreviousChapters Next
Madam Speaker

Author's Note:

Well, I know it's been a while. I hate to sound like a broken record, but my time has been consumed with military training. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the year. Until then, enjoy this chapter!

Princess Twilight Sparkle, sovereign of all Equestria, sat on her throne, patiently watching the doors to the throne room.

Slowly, smoke seeped through the seams around the doors.

The Royal Guards readied their weapons and took defensive stances to guard their princess.

Twilight just sighed and waited.

Suddenly, flashing lights and lasers started pulsing. Boom! BOOM! BOOM!!! came the beat. The doors burst open and in walked the expected nuisance, the Lord of Chaos himself. Waving to nonexistent crowds, he strutted down the hall to a pulsing pop tune. "Princess Twilight, so good to see you!"

"Discord," she responded curtly.

The guards sheathed their weapons but remained tense and watchful.

The music faded as Discord said, "I came as soon as I received your telegram. Though really, it was quite disappointing. The least you could have done was make it a singing telegram."

"I'll consider it in the future," she responded dryly.

"So, what do I owe this unexpected summons?" he asked, leaning forward upon a podium that hadn't been there before.

"Sunset Shimmer has sent me some interesting news from the human world."

"Oh, do tell."

"It seems as though, for the first time in their history, the United States of America is without a Speaker. Without one, their government cannot function. It seems that their legislature is thrown into chaos."

"Sounds fascinating," responded Discord with a devilish smile.

"I want to ask you - "
"Yes?" he drawled.

Twilight sighed, "Are you responsible for this?"

"Moi!" Discord drew a shocked breath. "You're accusing me? You think the Lord of Chaos would seek to spread chaos to... Oh, I see your point."

"Well?"

"As much as it may disappoint you, I am not behind this."

"And you aren't going to take advantage of this? Cause chaos in the Capitol? Perhaps try to become the new Speaker?"

Discord thought, "Hmm... I could become Speaker. There is no requirement that the Speaker be a member of the House. Come to think of it, the Speaker doesn't have to be a citizen, much less human."

"Really? Anypony could be Speaker?" she asked, intrigued.

"Yes, it's a little loophole in their Constitution." Standing upright and turning to leave, he said offhandedly, "Besides, I wouldn't really want the job."

He took a step and Twilight asked, "Why?"

Discord stopped mid-step, seemingly caught off guard by the question. "Well, I wouldn't mind making some chaotic laws. Like everyone wear only their left shoe, walk backwards down the sidewalks, or speak Klingon on Tuesdays and Fridays. But I cannot just issue edits. The House would have to pass such laws by a majority. And being Speaker means I'd have to follow a lot of rules."

"Rules?" Twilight prodded, leaning forward a bit.

"Yes, rules and parliamentary procedure and all that. And the biggest challenge is building a consensus among a diverse group of people from all across the country. Most of whom can't get along."

"Their not friends?" Twilight asked, leaning even more forward.

"No, I'd say not. Friendship is certainly lacking in the House. I bet - " He stopped when he noticed Twilight had a wide, somewhat scary smile on her face.


The group of CHS students huddled around Rarity as she sat at the cafeteria table reading the newspaper.

Sunset Shimmer came up to them, "What's going on?"

"Would you care to explain this?" asked Rarity curtly.

"What?" asked Sunset Shimmer as she set her bag aside.

Rarity slid the newspaper across the cafeteria's table.

Sunset picked it up and scanned the headline. "Princess Twilight Sparkle is running for Speaker of the House!?"

TV STATIC

PreviousChapters Next