• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,865 Views, 795 Comments

Robot Pony - Dreadnought

  • ...
22
 795
 3,865

PreviousChapters Next
Inspiration

A man sat beneath a tree in the English countryside. Next to him lay a pad of paper, with all sorts of musical notes and lyrics crossed out. Absently, he strummed his guitar.

Suddenly, the sky before him ripped open with a terrible screech. He started to bolt, but stopped when he saw something in the rip. A figure slowly formed into a green unicorn. It looked as shocked as he did.

"Lyra!" came a voice. "Did you succeed?"

"Yes," said the green unicorn. "I've successfully opened the portal. But I don't know how long it will last."

A white unicorn with three diamonds on her flank appeared next to the other. "What is that?" she said, pointing at the man.

"A human."

"A human? You mean they're real?"

"Yes. All my life I've wanted to see a real human. Now," tears started to well up in her eyes. The image blurred. "Noooo!" came a cry before the sky returned to normal.


A few weeks later on Abbey Road...

"♫Lyra in the Sky with Diamonds!♫"

The music came to a halt.

"I don't know," said a thin man, " 'Lyra in the Sky with Diamonds', just doesn't seem to have a nice ring to it."

"Come on Paul, those are the lyrics."

Paul turned to another band member. "What do you think, George?"

George merely shrugged.

"Ringo?"

"As long as I can play my drums, I don't care what the lyrics are."

Paul turned to the producer in another room. "What do you think Martin?"

"When people here 'Lyra', they're going to think about a harp."

Paul thought for a moment. "What's another 'L' name we can use. How about 'Lucy' ?"

"You can't be serious," said John.

"Let's give it a try."

"Where did you come up with the lyrics?" asked Ringo.

"They came to me," insisted John.

"Okay," said Paul, " 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' on three. One. Two."


Years later, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds would be ranked one of the best songs by The Beatles.

TV STATIC

Author's Note:

After three days of driving, I finally reached the end of the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

PreviousChapters Next