• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,866 Views, 795 Comments

Robot Pony - Dreadnought

  • ...
22
 795
 3,866

PreviousChapters Next
New Year 2024

Knock! Knock!

After a brief moment, the door opened to reveal Shining Armor. "Sunset Shimmer, good to see you."

Sunset smiled, "Hello Shining. How's college?"

"It's challenging, but if you work hard, it's manageable."

"Good to hear."

Shining smiled knowingly, "But you didn't come here to hear about my time at West Point, now did you?"

Sunset chuckled, "No, I'm here to see Twilight."

Shining turned and called up the stairs, "Twiley, you've got company!" Turning back to Sunset, he said, "Come on in."

"Thank you," she said as she stepped inside.

Footsteps reverberated down the stairs and Twilight Sparkle appeared. "Sunset."

Shining walked over and took a position on the couch in the living room.

"Twilight," greeted Sunset before holding out a piece of paper.

"What's this? An invitation?"

"Yes," confirmed Sunset.

"You could have just texted me, you know," responded Twilight.

"I did that to Pinkie, and she insisted that in-person invitations are better."

Opening the invitation, Twilight said, "A party?"

"Yeah, I'm having a New Year Eve's party."

In the background, Shining jumped up and began furiously waving his arms.

Noticing where her friend was looking, Twilight turned around to look at her brother and Shining played it off as stretching his arms. She turned back to Sunset. "I'll be there," she said.


The New Year's party was rocking. Everyone had brought food, with Pinkie bringing a round of desserts and Applejack breaking out bottles of cider, much to Rainbow Dash's delight. Video games were available, with Rainbow Dash and Applejack once again competing. All around, it was good fun.

A few minutes before midnight, the girls gathered around the television for the broadcast from Times Square. Soon the hour was at hand. The ball started its descent.

"One minute to go!" cheered Pinkie Pie.

The ball continued to drop.

"Thirty seconds, y'all!" announced Applejack.

Everyone counted down, "Ten... nine... eight... seven... six... five.. four... three... two... one. Happy New Year!"

Everyone wished each other a happy new year.

"Happy New Year, Twilight," said Sunset Shimmer.

"Happy New Year, Sunset. However, the start of the new year is rather arbitrary."

"Uh oh," said Applejack.

"Here we go," added Rainbow Dash.

Twilight adjusted her glasses, "There's really no special reason for January 1st to be the start of the new year. It's neither the solstice nor equinox. It's not like the Chinese New Year and based on lunar movements. It's not even the aphelion or perihelion of our planet's orbit. It's truly arbitrary." She concluded, "Really, any day could be made the start of our calendar."

Silence reigned for a moment until Rainbow Dash dryly noted, "Geesh Twilight, you're fun at parties."

TV STATIC

Author's Note:

Have a Happy New Year's Eve! See you next year!

Dreadnought

PreviousChapters Next