• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 2,915 Views, 697 Comments

Never the Final Word (Vol. 2) - FanOfMostEverything



The continuation of an open anthology of continuations of other authors' stories.

  • ...
8
 697
 2,915

PreviousChapters Next
FoME's Nutrition Tables (Daedalus Aegle's "Huh")

Author's Note:

[Slice of Life][Classic Literature Reference]

This is an expansion of Daedalus Aegle's blog "Huh." (108 words, #just putting that out there)

BLOG SUMMARY: DA noted the parallels between the tale of founding Equestria and the Aeneid. I decided to make some more.

The three assistants had been able to conjure the miraculous Fire of Friendship, but while they'd thawed the ice of hatred between them, the actual ice needed more time. Thus, they shared stories, both the tales of their homes and those of their journeys.

"As we were leaving, an oracle told us we wouldn't find a new home until we were so hungry, we'd eat our tables," Pansy said when her turn came again.

"My master always told me pegasus oracles just flew up until they started seeing things from thin air." Clover held up a hoof to forestall any objections. "Mind you, he didn't have anything better to say about unicorn diviners. Star Swirl believed that the only way to see the future was to go there yourself."

Smart Cookie nodded. "I see who taught you how to be sensible."

That got a lopsided grin. "He'd either be flattered or insulted if he heard that, and I'm not sure which." Clover looked around the cave and sighed. "Any minute now, sir."

The others laughed at that, and Clover joined in after a moment of uncertainty. Another drop of icemelt fell to the cave floor. "So what do you think the oracle meant by that?" Cookie asked Pansy.

She shrugged her wings. "Ours is not to interpret the will of the gods. Especially when all of our tables are made of clouds. We'd end up drinking them instead." Her stomach growled, almost as loud as the windigoes. "Not that I'd mind at this point."

"Well, closest I've got is some trailbread." Cookie rooted through his rucksack and pulled out something almost but not entirely unlike his namesake. It seemed closer to a brick in color, shape, and density. "Between that and a table, I'd take the table, but it's technically edible. Don't suppose either of you has anything better?"

Both shook their heads. Cookie sighed, stomped the trailbread into three pieces ("A little grit might as well be seasoning with this") and the long night carried on, songs and stories briefly interrupted by contemplative chewing.

PreviousChapters Next