• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 2,904 Views, 695 Comments

Never the Final Word (Vol. 2) - FanOfMostEverything



The continuation of an open anthology of continuations of other authors' stories.

  • ...
8
 695
 2,904

PreviousChapters Next
horizon's Howloween (FoME's "Solar Wind")

Author's Note:

[Comedy]
This is a continuation of FanOfMostEverything's Solar Wind. (1,372 words, [Comedy][Random][Slice of Life])

SOLAR WIND SPOILERS: Luna asks Celestia a question on behalf of Captain Fantasia of the Dreamguard: Why has Celestia subtly avoided batponies (here called chiroptera) for centuries? Celestia admits that, due to her link to the sun, she farts helium, and only the chiroptera can hear her do it.

Twilight Sparkle was quiet for quite some time. Fantasia took a measured sip of her coffee. Twilight stared into her teacup.

"You know," Twilight said slowly, "this explains so much."

"It does?" Fantasia said, curious despite herself.

"Like the pre-classical holiday of Howloween," Twilight said, finally taking a sip of her now-cold tea and falling into a much more comfortable lecturing mode. "From which Nightmare Night took many of its traditions."

"I'm aware, Princess," Fantasia said, rolling her eyes. "It's not like it's our most important celebration or anything." Then she stopped and stiffened. "Wait. You're not saying ...?"

"The old legends of the Three Tribes say Princess Luna was out defending Equestria alone because her sister was feeling ill after an especially hearty banquet. Luna was defending a settlement on the borders of pony lands from an incursion of timberwolves, and though she fought with the strength of a hundred ponies, she was being slowly overwhelmed. Then, suddenly, every single timberwolf began howling at once, and fled Equestria in a mad rush --"

Hooves slammed to the table. Twilight looked up, startled.

"They were spooked by the arrival of chiropteron reinforcements," Fantasia hissed.

Twilight blinked. "Well, yes, that's what the legends have always said, but when you consider the unity of the wolves' retreat, and the fact that they were sprinting directly away from Everfree Palace --"

"They. Were. Spooked. By. The. Arrival. Of. Chiropteron. Reinforcements,"

The two locked stares for a moment -- Fantasia trembling in unexpected fury, Twilight's eyes wide in surprise.

Finally, Twilight tore her gaze away from the captain, drained the rest of her tea in one gulp, and coughed. "Reinforcements," she said. "Naturally."

PreviousChapters Next