• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 2,910 Views, 697 Comments

Never the Final Word (Vol. 2) - FanOfMostEverything



The continuation of an open anthology of continuations of other authors' stories.

  • ...
8
 697
 2,910

PreviousChapters Next
Ultra-the-HedgeToaster's Wandering Pedestrian (FoME's "Contest! Villain Exchange Program")

Author's Note:

[Drama][Eldritch]

The following is a tangent inspired by FanOfMostEverything's "Contest! Villian Exchange Program" (1,066 words, #contest, #villain exchange program, #let's see what happens)

BLOG SYNOPSIS: I held a contest with the prompt "Write a story with a pony villain in the human world, or vice versa." Ultra thought this meant our human world at first, which led him to realize no one's written a story about EqG humanoids on Earth as we know it...

Hans stared at the strange apparition in the street, the living cartoon caricature of a girl - her skin not the "not-actually-yellow" associated with Asian ethnicity, but the bright yellow of a character from the Simpsons. She turned, and it was a shock just to see her move. Was this a hologram? Did he miss some news about leaps in the tech industry? Was this some sort of super-high tech prank? ...Was he being filmed?

Her enormous eyes that took up a good third of her face widened in shock and repulsion, and she staggered back into the alley.

Somehow, even realizing it was him she was repulsed by, Hans Müller was still more focused on her cartoonish appearance than anything else. She had taken several steps back, halfway into the shadow of the alleyway.

The light didn't reflect properly. There was a sharp line running down her body, not so much covered by the shadow as simply darkened. He looked down. Her shadow was a perfect cutout shape on the streets of München, despite the mid-morning sun. He looked at his own fuzzy, diffuse shadow for comparison.

It couldn't be a hologram, he realized; even had such a thing existed it couldn't have explained what he was seeing. Not unless perhaps an advanced civilization of aliens had decided to make first contact and chosen a cartoon character as their proxy.

The cartoon girl gave a strangled noise as she tripped on the uneven pavement, and Hans rushed forward to grab her without thinking.

But he had been standing several meters away, so now he was just standing awkwardly over her fallen body, both of them frozen, staring at each other. Eventually, he reached out a hand. She accepted it.

Her hand felt like... like... he wasn't sure what. Warm, smooth. Perfectly smooth. Beyond that, he really couldn't tell; it was like some sort of alien meta-material in the shape of a human hand, or so he imagined, having nothing to compare it to. The "alien" hypothesis was starting to seem frighteningly less implausible by the second.

The girl cleared her throat, and Hans realized he was still just holding the girl's hand.

"Entschuldigung," Hans mumbled out loud as he helped her to her feet.

"What?" she said.

"Oh, you speak... English?" Hans exclaimed in surprise.

"Uh... yes...?" The girl tilted her head in a way that somehow seemed perfectly natural, though Hans had never seen someone do it who wasn't playing an alien or an eccentric detective on television.

So the aliens spoke English... Of course they did.

PreviousChapters Next