• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 2,910 Views, 697 Comments

Never the Final Word (Vol. 2) - FanOfMostEverything



The continuation of an open anthology of continuations of other authors' stories.

  • ...
8
 697
 2,910

PreviousChapters Next
Georg and FoME's Two Be a Master (Estee's "Twenty-two years. One thousand and eighty-two episodes.")

Author's Note:

[Comedy][Slice of Life][Drama][Crossover]

This is an offshoot of Estee's blog "Twenty-two episodes. One thousand and eighty-two episodes." (25 words, 1 image, no tags)

ONE POKÉMON SUN & MOON ANIME SPOILER: Ash Ketchum finally won a Pokémon League tournament outside of a filler arc.

(Georg)

"Now, I know how upset you all are over our show being cancelled after nine seasons," said Twilight Sparkle from her position of authority next to the picnic basket.

"Actually," started Applejack, "it gives me some more time to spend at the farm, maybe start a family of mah own."

"And I've been running myself positively ragged!" exclaimed Rarity, slumping down on her nearby divan. "What with running three boutiques, teaching at the school, and all of the other responsibilities of proper leadership, I've been under such stress." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "I fear at any time, I might see... a grey hair."

"As I was saying," continued Twilight, waving one of Pinkie Pie's donuts for emphasis, "you're all upset!"

"Not that much," said Pinkie. "I get to finally date!"

"And I know how much you want our franchise to continue," continued Twilight despite the objections. "So I've taken measures—"

"As long as they don't take too long," said Rainbow Dash through a mouthful of crumbs. "I've got a Wonderbolts exhibition this afternoon."

"—to ensure the franchise lasts into the foreseeable future!" There was a rustling in the nearby bushes, and Twilight perked up. "Ah, there they are now."

"There they are!" a familiar young voice called from the bushes. "Pikachu, go!"

"Princess uses Teleport," announced Twilight just moments before there was a flash of purple light and she vanished.

Then the picnic was over as the red and white balls began to fly...


(FoME)

Officially speaking, the kid shouldn't have even been allowed inside the Punch Bowl. Of course, officially speaking, Berry didn't know how to tell human ages at a glance. Unofficially speaking, she knew he needed help in a glass and a sympathetic ear as much from maternal experience as from her talent. "Here you go, kid. Chocolate milk. Always helps Pinchy after a bad day. So, what's your story?"

The boy just stared at the countertop in a familiar way. Not the enthralled stare of a pony who'd found the meaning of the universe in a blend of alcohol, salt, and wood grain. No, this was the shocked gaze of somepony who'd run face-first into the impossible and didn't know how to deal with it.

"Take your time, kid." Berry started rubbing a glass with a dish towel. It was early enough that there weren't any glasses to actually clean, but she had to keep up appearances.

"It..." A shaking hand took the glass of milk. A bit slopped over the edge as the boy drank. "It was supposed to be simple."

Berry said nothing. She knew a slow-forming monologue when she heard one.

"It was supposed to be simple," he said again. "A new region. New ways to battle. New friends to make, new challenges to overcome. But something like her..." When he finally looked up, there were tears in his eyes. "I had finally broken my streak, you know?"

Berry also knew prompts. "Did you, now?"

He nodded. The arm not holding the glass cradled a memory. "Got the championship. Haven't won one since the Orange Islands, and that was... Never mind how long ago it was. It never really felt like it counted. I couldn't tell you why, but it just didn't. And it's not like I haven't done incredible things outside of the League, but... I'd broken my streak. Took home the gold. And then I wanted to see if I could start a new streak, you know?"

Berry nodded. She did know. She knew the allure of "Just one more" far too well. But she also knew it wasn't her turn to speak.

"I was going to go to Galar. Some weirdly picky immigration laws there, something about preserving the local ecosystem, but Pikachu could come with me, and he's all I've ever needed when starting out. But then the weirdest Rapidash I've ever seen—no offense, ma'am—comes out of nowhere and tells me about a place full of Pokémon no one's even heard of. I'd be the first. The best by default." He smiled, the weight of experience slipping away to reveal a childlike innocence that better matched his body. "How could I resist?" The smile fell. "But then..."

"Then?"

"He's gone. He's gone and this time I don't know if I'm ever getting him back."

Berry winced. Young as he sounded or old as he seemed, she wouldn't wish the kind of heartbreak in those words on her worst enemy. "Why?"

The boy's whole body shook, as much from fear as sorrow. "She's worse than every evil team put together. More powerful than the strongest legendaries. There was no stopping her."


"So, what's your favorite food?"

"Pika!"

Fluttershy blinked. "Ketchup?" She shook her head and smiled. "Well, I'm going to have to insist you have it on something, but I'm sure everyone at the sanctuary will be happy to meet you."

PreviousChapters Next