• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 7,352 Views, 871 Comments

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For (A Death Battle Parody) - TundraStanza



Think about it like Death Battle, only with less death and more hyperactive dialogue. It all started with a fateful encounter between Deadpool and Pinkie Pie. It turned into something bigger.

  • ...
34
 871
 7,352

PreviousChapters Next
Edgy Much? Moving Forces

Advisory: Please set "Formatting" to "Dark" so that colored text is legible. Thank you.

What? Were Shadow the Hedgehog and Batman too busy?
Properties in this chapter belong to Hasbro, DEATH Battle channel, and Sega.
---

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For

(A Death Battle Parody)

~On the ground I lay...~

You know what I hate? Characters that try way too hard to look edgy to their peers.

Well, I hate to disappoint you. But today's match is all about the wannabe edgelords, particularly those that work for more comical and mentally unstable bosses.

Hey, I'm cool with that! It'll be one less edgelord camping shots at me in my backyard.

You live in a trailer park.

Not the point. We've got Infinite the Jackal from Sonic Forces!

And Tempest Shadow from My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).

He's W and I'm B.

And it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle!

~~~Death Battle~~~

-Real name: Fizzlepop Berrytwist
-Species: Unicorn
-Damaged horn, unable to cast spells with any control beyond fireworks
-Worked for the "Storm King"
-Adapted hoof-to-hoof combat
-Leather armor
-Orbs that repel magic and trap victims in stone
-Emotionally unstable

One day in Canterlot City, the capital of the magical land Equestria, Princess Twilight Sparkle was trying to present a last-minute idea for their first ever Friendship Festival. But growing neurosis was the least of her problems as that was the same day they had uninvited guests.

Yeah... the villain of the weekend was some ape guy calling himself the "Storm King". He sent a blimp with some of his big, ugly troops led by... gasp! A unicorn with a broken horn! We've totally never seen that before!

You've never seen pony creator versions of fan art then.

It was a joke, W. Come on! Work with me here.

This unicorn called herself Tempest Shadow and she openly demanded that the ponies surrender. Now, what exactly could stand up to so many ponies with magical powers, let alone the closest thing pony-kind had to gods all present at once? The answer is magic-proof armor and magic-reflecting rocks.

Basically, plot armor working for the bad guys. The irony!

Born as Fizzlepop Berrytwist, Tempest was a unicorn that once had childhood friends. But then, something with an Ursa Minor happened and broke her horn down to a jagged stub. Then, her friends sort of... left without a word. She was damaged both physically and emotionally.

Wait, a pony that was abandoned by their friend and then she turned around and swore the destruction of all other ponies' lives in retaliation? Isn't that the back story for Starlight Glimmer?

Not exactly. Starlight took it upon herself to look for magic-containment rocks and built a small village from the ground up. Tempest looked to the aid of a powerhouse that promised to fix her horn after she completed her services.

But why did she seek help from a lightning monkey? Wouldn't it make more sense to seek surgery from another unicorn? You know, someone that actually has that body part and knows how it's supposed to look?

Well... it's not the only time any villain has ever fallen for a trick that looks stupid in hindsight.

Fair enough. Go on.

Without her horn to reliably cast spells, Tempest had to learn to fight mainly with her hooves. Additionally, she wears the same colored, magic-proof armor as those in the Storm King's army. In a way, it protects her from her own miscasts as well as magic from enemy unicorns.

She also carries around a bunch of special black rocks. These things can reflect magic powerful enough to destroy bridges. They're also great for making life-size statues of any creature that they touch... meaning that they trap the actual creatures in stone. Huh... When did My Little Pony get so dark?

That would be back in 1986, when one of the older television specials transformed ponies into shadowy dragons while under the control of an evil master.

Oh. ... S*Ess*t.

Anyway, surprise! The Storm King was lying about restoring the horn all along! So when he tried to turn Twilight and her friends into stone, Tempest leapt in the way and knocked him over a ledge. He got caught by one of his own petrifying orbs and smashed to pieces upon hitting the ground below. Later that night, Tempest became their friend and revealed her true name.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie doesn't sound so ridiculously childish.

While she seems to have a few years of combat experience, her cold personality and bursts of anger make it difficult to completely remain in control of the fight. If she isn't careful, she could end up following her former boss in a pile of pebbles.

... Was that a pun?

Yes!

Don't ever do that again.

Aw...

~Open up your eyes...~

~~~Death Battle~~~

-Real name: (Stripped from official records)
-Species: Anthro jackal
-Mild injury to face; wears a mask at all times
-Worked for Dr. Eggman
-Phantom Ruby: Enables levitation, flight, and illusions so convincing that victims actually experience the pain
-Exceptional reaction speed
-Prone to monologue
-Has yet to convince anyone aside from himself that he's "not weak"

Not much is known about the masked presence that joined forces with Dr. Eggman. What we have managed to gather was that he started out as a mercenary, leading his own squad of other anthropomorphic creatures: Jackal Squad.

Some fans call this pre-masked version "Zero", but I'm not convinced that they really want to steal from both Megaman X and Coke Zero. So, he'll just go nameless for now.

Earlier that day, Eggman had stumbled across a strange, red rock that granted him a vision of an empire exactly as it looked in one of his dreams. But as quickly as he had gotten a glimpse, the vision faded. Almost immediately, his base was invaded by a band of mercenaries on a raid. This was the first available documentation of Jackal Squad's hits.

Thinking quickly about how the ruby had made his whole world seem like something else, Eggman dreamed himself up a bunch of Eggman robots to deal with these intruders. By sheer dumb luck, the ruby caught the Jackal Squad in a vision so life-like that they were nearly gunned down by the illusions.

Okay, wait. That is not how illusions work. Even if your senses of hearing and sight were somehow fooled by something like Matrix programming, you can't actually bleed if whatever cut your vessels didn't actually exist to break skin. Virtual reality is not 3D printing in real-time!

W, it's probably best if you don't think about stuff. Otherwise, you're going to get a headache... and maybe that blue-screen some computers experience when they overload programs.

*sigh* Anyway, the alleged "Ultimate Mercenary" was so impressed by this power that Eggman held that he decided to accept Eggman's offer to join sides. But then, Shadow the Hedgehog came by on a reconnaissance mission and pretty much wiped out the rest of the squad that had stayed behind. The jackal tried to attack back, but he was quickly overwhelmed and received a cut on his face.

That's why he wears a mask? Come on! Even Dr. Doom's facial cut was bigger before he stuck a metal mask over it. Why do these guys keep overreacting to these minor wounds? At least all of your limbs are still real! I have a shotgun for a leg!

Using the power of the Phantom Ruby, the mercenary called himself Infinite, and helped Eggman attack various cities of the world. Naturally, Sonic the Hedgehog ran in to save the day. However, everyone was shocked when Infinite somehow moved fast enough to avoid the blue blur's attacks. Then, the new team captured Sonic and locked him up on a rebuilt Death Egg prison for six months.

Not that it did anything to Sonic's attitude. You'd think they were just giving the hedgehog a nice vacation with how his attitude was still cocky and arrogant before he managed to escape.

Almost all of Infinite's power comes from the Phantom Ruby. These include flight, levitation, and creating the reality-and-sense-breaking illusions that somehow hurt victims as much as real objects and creatures would. I cannot believe we are just meant to accept this.

Oh, his powers aren't nearly as bad as his monologue. The guy never shuts up! It's almost always about fear in enemies that isn't actually there and about how he isn't weak and how he isn't weak and how he isn't weak...

You said "how he isn't weak" three times now.

How many times do you think he said it if that's how many times I can remember without even looking at the game again?

Oh. ... Great.

The guy's over-reliance on the Phantom Ruby tends to mean he rarely gets his own hands dirty. He almost acts like the fight is boring him, even when that enemy is a kid with their own prototype of illusion-casting that managed to negate one of his attacks.

All the posing and posturing eventually led to Infinite's defeat against the tag-team of Sonic and a self-insert character. And then Eggman fell to a three-man team of Sonic, another dimension's Sonic, and that self-insert character.

What kind of drugs does it take to make this game and call its current state a finished product?

I'd put the blame more on the company heads that want the money and don't understand how time and required software works. But I digress.

Whatever the case, Infinite didn't last very long. ... See, W? This is how I make a pun. Don't try to imitate.

I hate you right now.

~I'm the toughest of terrors. I am the darkest of days...~

~~~Death Battle~~~

Alright, the combatants are set. Let's settle this debate once and for all.

It's time for a Death Battle!

~~~Death Battle~~~

We get an overhead view of a settlement in a desert. Flaps over a street market shake in the hot winds. A windmill squeaks obnoxiously loudly. Some guy knifes another creature's pouch and runs off with a few coins. A stray child takes shelter against a wall behind a dumpster.

Inside a bar-in-the-wall place, a biped beast wipes grime off the counter with a rag. A broken analog clock ticks, but its second hand is stuck at a spot between the "1" and the "2". There's a large jukebox that just switched tracks to a song that is somehow calming, yet ominous at the same time.

A pony walks in with a magenta Mohawk, a broken horn, and a scar over her eye. She holds up a picture and her horn sparks. The bartender lifts his hands in the air and shakes his head wildly. She leaves in a huff, but not before blasting the jukebox with enough volts that the song cuts off in the middle.

Meanwhile, several robots start marching through the alleys and the streets. It is possible that their presence started a chain of burning buildings on their way in. But any shots from their weapons while on screen aren't starting any new fires. A few giant soldiers in black and blue armor slam their fists against the robots, pinning them to the sand in piles of nuts and bolts.

"What the hay are these things?" asks the dark horse.

One of her soldiers shrugs an arm before getting zapped in the face by a stray, red blast. When the unicorn turns to look for an enemy, a floating red figure graces the field with his presence. He holds a hand against the "nose" of his mask while a gem on his chest glows in patterns of black and red.

A loudspeaker erupts from a floating machine in the distance. "You are interfering with a Dr. Eggman takeover! Stand down or get shot! Infinite, take care of any resistance!"

The masked creature holds his arms open wide. "It seems my hands are tied. If your pitiful buffoons won't stop destroying the doctor's property, then we'll have no choice but to destroy you."

"Destroy us?" The unicorn laughs curtly. "You're hilarious!" She glances at one of her remaining soldiers. "Focus on tearing up the rest of these things. I'll handle Mr. Bigshot!"

The soldier salutes and leaps over a building on top of a group of robots. Meanwhile, the floating anthro seems to chuckle in mild amusement.

"You can't fool me with your false bravado." His bushy tail twitches. "I see a scared, little girl in the depths of the soul in your eyes. You are but a lonely child who has lost everything near and dear. What hope can you possibly have to stand up to that which is Infinite? It is not unlike an ant trying to fight a killer whale."

Sparks dance on her stub of a horn. "Just shut up and-"

Tempest Shadow gallops over to the side of a building. She jumps up along two walls that are really close to each other. This allows her to reach a rooftop within seconds. She leaps through the air and the floating enemy.

Infinite seems to blink out of his spot and instantly appears five inches to his right. The dark unicorn can't even reach a hoof to him as she tries a roundhouse kick. He crosses his arms, creating a sphere of red light to appear around himself. When he reaches out both, the sphere expands with what sounds like a series of really slow record scratches.

As the red light passes over her, Tempest groans before landing on the next rooftop. Is her vision going weird, or is the air actually flickering in a pattern of dark red cubes every now and again? Her latest enemy has vanished. He briefly appears behind her and kicks her in the rear. She tries a burst of lightning spell, but it scatters wildly and there's no longer any foe in that direction.

The masked jackal repeats this process of appearing behind and slamming against his target. He does this several times, eventually ticking her off to yelling a war cry. She pulls out five, dark black-yet-green rocks and kicks them in all directions around herself. One of them glances off his shoe and he gasps as he flies lower. Whatever that substance is, it appears to be quickly growing to surround his right ankle.

"What?!" Infinite calls out.

"Enjoy being a lawn ornament, chump!" Tempest smirks.

Infinite growls before conjuring a new sphere of red around himself. It seems to draw in a dark red cube around his feet. When the cube leaves, his shoes look like they are relieved of stone and he floats up higher with a chuckle.

"That's impossible!" Tempest stares wide-eyed. "Only the Storm King's staff can undo anti-magic stone!"

"I admit I've never seen your pitiful toys." Infinite wipes some imaginary dust off his shoulder. "But they do not hold the light of a candle to the power of the Phantom Ruby that I possess."

"Phantom... Ruby?" She raises her brow. "What is that supposed to be? A new Element of Harmony?"

"You do not need to understand what element it contains." He holds his gloved claws open. "But it will not be very harmonious. Only fear matters when all is said and done. Observe."

A black sphere appears out of his palm and floats above the unicorn. She looks at it carefully with squinted eyes.

"This is but a fraction of Null Space. You will be trapped inside for eternity in a never-ending, nonexistence. I will not even let you have the satisfaction of dying in light or darkness. It will simply be... well... an end to anything you perceive as light and darkness. Farewell."

He launches a second black sphere at the first black sphere. This seems to agitate the sphere to grow into a much larger orb. It acts like a black hole, sucking in air and some of the roof tiles. Tempest turns on her spot and attempts to gallop away. But the vacuum force lifts her up and pulls her toward the sphere without any say. She tries launching one of her orbs at the blackness, but that too gets swallowed up. She lets out a cry before her head disappears into the Null Space.

"Hmph." Infinite crosses his arms and fiddles with the front of his mask.
---
Tempest Shadow finds herself galloping along a path. It is composed of nothing but purple and black cubes as far as she can see. She can't even hear her hoof steps. All she can hear clearly is the sound of her own breath. Glancing back, she sees a jagged wall of purple cubes chasing after her. She feels like she mustn't let them catch her.

A few small, blocky hills appear along her path. She turns slightly to the left and right while still galloping forward. The advancing wall seems undisturbed by the hills and continues to draw closer to her tail. She pants for breath as she keeps going.
...
How long is this chase going to take?
---
Eventually, the dark horse jumps out of a black hole and slides along the roof. The pocket of Null Space shrinks down and dissipates.

"What?" Infinite drops his arms to the side. "Impossible! It can't be. How did you escape Null Space?"

Hearing her enemy lose confidence convinces Tempest to scoff. "I walked out."

Despite her damaged horn, she manages to unleash three magical bursts. They erupt into blue fireworks and contrast the reddish hue of Infinite's illusion sky. These fireworks elicit a grunt from Infinite as he dodges and holds up his arms to cover his eye. They also light up a faint image of something else. Curious, Tempest gallops over to that spot on the roof and flicks her front hoof out. It contacts something solid, and a statue suddenly appears.

"What the...?" Tempest looks back at the floating jackal, then forward at the statue. The shapes are almost identical.

Infinite sounds like he growls. "Back off!"

He shoots a red blast from his hand. It collides with the unicorn's shoulder, forcing her to slide sideways. She grunts briefly... until she starts cackling.

"And just what do you find so amusing?" The jackal radiates energy from his Phantom Ruby.

"It's just as I thought." Her grin almost looks like there's a fang on one side. "Nobody can just shake off anti-magic stone. You're not the real enemy I've been fighting. You already lost several moves ago."

Claws curl up into fists. "I'm real enough to destroy you!"

Infinite surrounds himself with pulsating energy. Tempest pulls out one more greenish-black rock. As Infinite unleashes an imitation Chaos Blast, Tempest kicks her rock horizontally. She gets caught in the explosion and flies over to the first rooftop. Meanwhile, her rock collides with the Infinite statue and pushes it over the edge.

"No!" Infinite shouts as he flies over to hover above the edge and look down.

His statue self falls several feet. After the fall drags out for some cinematic time, it shatters upon impact with the ground. The floating Infinite yells out as he fades out of existence. His respective illusions over the town also break. These include the extra robots that the Storm King's army was beating up.

"Blast it all..." Eggman hovers away as quickly as possible in his Egg-Mobile.

Two of the soldiers hop onto the roof. "General Tempest Shadow! Are you alright?"

Tempest groans and shakes as she slowly stands up. "I'm fine, you idiot. Did you find out where the purple pony princess went?"

K.O.!

~~~Death Battle~~~

Whoa! How did that happen? I almost blinked and I missed it!

This was a pretty close battle. There are probably several ways in which Infinite could have won. But unfortunately, there are some inconsistencies with his own powers that work against him. First of all, the Phantom Ruby often breaks its own rules back in Sonic Forces. One minute, it requires an external power source. Yet in the next encounter, it somehow fully recharges without said external power. In other words, it can't be relied on all the time.

What about Infinite's victories? Didn't he manage to beat the likes of Shadow, Silver, and Sonic?

Not exactly. His false sense of pride comes from the Phantom Ruby and it can at best, create life-like illusions. While he managed to trap Shadow and Sonic in illusions of Green Hill Zone and Null Space respectively, both of the hedgehogs managed to escape just by running forward toward an end goal. Additionally, even though the Phantom Ruby allowed him to fly at a similar speed and mobility to Silver, it did not allow him to directly control the actions of his foe.

Couldn't he just kill Tempest by summoning an illusion of the sun like he did against the Resistance from Sonic's world?

Not realistically. Infinite needs to be within a set distance from his victims in order for his illusions to have any weight to them. While this maximum distance is unknown, he couldn't have been off-planet to keep up his Ruby projection of the sun. And the sun is several times bigger than the planet. In order to truly kill Tempest with that overwhelming heat, he'd need to risk killing himself too.

Okay, but there's no way that Tempest can move as fast as Infinite right? He can dodge "Fastest-Thing-Alive" Sonic!

Technically, he does edge Tempest out in reaction speed, but attack speed and endurance are another story. Without that Phantom Ruby, Infinite can't even keep track of Shadow before getting overwhelmed. There's no evidence to suggest that he can dodge every projectile weapon. Though he dodged Omega's lasers near the end of the Sonic Forces game, he wouldn't need to be moving anywhere above 10% the speed of light at that distance. And lightning spells, even misfired from Tempest, would be moving faster than 10% the speed of light in close-quarters combat.

I guess we should factor in defenses too. Tempest has armor over most of her body except for her head. But she's got the scars on her face to prove she can take a few hits and still keep going. Whereas Infinite's mask doesn't cover anything but his face. That's like... one out of the three vital areas I can think of that need the most protection. "Ultimate Mercenary", my foot.

In the end it came down to a difference between a projection of power versus one's actual capabilities. Where Infinite boasts, Tempest can back up her word.

Looks like no matter what world he's in, Infinite still can't defeat Shadow.

The winner is Tempest Shadow.

~~~Death Battle~~~

---

Author's Note:

I was contemplating the idea of writing a full Sonic Forces x MLP fanfic. I guess this is as close as I'm going to get.

PreviousChapters Next