• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 7,344 Views, 871 Comments

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For (A Death Battle Parody) - TundraStanza



Think about it like Death Battle, only with less death and more hyperactive dialogue. It all started with a fateful encounter between Deadpool and Pinkie Pie. It turned into something bigger.

  • ...
34
 871
 7,344

PreviousChapters Next
Introverted Gray Waves

A/N: Please make sure that "Formatting" is set to "Dark" before continuing to read. Thank you.

Some animals are calmed by the sound of music. Others get aggravated. Choose carefully.
Warning: This chapter may contain spoilers to Fire Emblem Fates and its DLC. Viewer discretion is advised.
Properties belong to Hasbro, ScrewAttack, and Nintendo.
---

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For

Season the Sixth

~Clear crystal water right out of the spring, these are a few of my favorite things...~

Man, it feels like it's been forever since we did one of these.

Research and development takes time, especially when it comes to important things like lifespan in a deadly situation.

I guess, but what's the deal with people singing to cheer up animals and pep up other soldiers? It's not just princesses anymore; even the dudes are doing it.

In any case, singing animal lovers is exactly the descriptor for today's combatants. Fluttershy: the kind caretaker.

And Shigure: the Sky Knight.

He's B and I'm W, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.

~~~Death Battle~~~

Fluttershy
-Pony type: Pegasus
-Element of Kindness
-Good at communicating with animals
-Has a singing voice that rivals Disney princesses
-Soft-spoken and reserved personality
-Self-applies steps to be a little more open each day
-Can be triggered to be aggressive and deadly focused
-Speed can overtake Rainbow Dash's comfortable average (roughly estimated to be 3,800 m.p.h.)

In the land of Equestria, ponies take charge of practically everything from weather to trainyards and from mountains to valleys. You can't help but expect nice things to happen... unless you live the life of Fluttershy.

Yeah, taking after her parents, Fluttershy was pretty much hindered when it came to simply talking to other ponies. She wasn't always free-spirited when flying and she constantly got teased for it. Personally, I would have just clicked my shotgun. That tends to shut up errant mouths in a heartbeat.

Well... she doesn't have that, but she was friends with the hotheaded Rainbow Dash, who challenged the bullies to a race for, in her words, "Fluttershy's honor". Unfortunately, the racers' combined air disruption knocked the pony in question spiraling to the ground. But good news: She was rescued by a swarm of butterflies.

Butterflies? Are you kidding me? How the heck do winged bugs save a horse from turning into ground paste?

The only logical explanation is that the butterflies were made of some kind of dark matter, in order to produce the force necessary to decrease her acceleration and her momentum safely. After a distant explosion was caused by Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom, Fluttershy managed to calm down every single animal in the vicinity and earned her cutie mark.

Three pink butterflies? Why couldn't it have been a cooler animal? ... like bats?

More on that later. After some time, she eventually changed permanent residence to a cottage on the ground where she could tend to animals more closely and care for them during times of sickness, fear, or... just about any time really.

Despite the adjective in her name, she can turn up the intensity when she needs to. If any animal acts unruly, she can bend their will with nothing but her eyes.

This "Stare" is so powerful that it can cause chickens to walk backwards, convince a swarm of bats to hold still on a tree, and even reverse the effects of the stone gaze of a cockatrice.

As cool as that sounds, the "Stare" doesn't work on everything. Pony children and a certain draconequus are completely immune to its hypnotic effects. Though, apparently it can work on herself if she activates it while looking in a mirror.

Then it's a good thing she doesn't just rely on her "Stare". When properly motivated, Fluttershy can do many things that you wouldn't normally expect from a timid character. Such rare feats include flying fast enough to catch up to Rainbow Dash (while also pulling a hot air balloon with the rest of her friends riding it), standing up to a dragon and making it cry, soothing the pain of a manticore, befriending the spirit of chaos, and calming Cerberus: the dog that guards the gates of Tartarus, known in Greek mythology as a region of the Underworld.

She can pick up a new sports skill on the fly if she finds it fun, and she can sing well enough that it absolutely blows away her animals and her friends. It's too bad she constantly retreats back into that shy personality of hers.

Well, that's to be expected. Introverts don't usually win one struggle and never see it again. It's a constant battle, at least in their own minds, just to face the normal interaction with the rest of the world around them.

Enough about shut-ins, W. What's the story behind that lone fang that's still in her mouth?

Oh, well... there was this one time where her friend's crop was getting bitten and drained by vampire fruit bats. So, Fluttershy's friends convinced her to use her Stare on the bats to get their attention while Twilight used a spell to alter their diets. But then the magic sort of backfired and accidentally transferred traits of the bats to slowly transform Fluttershy into a pony hybrid version of a bat. Then, they did that trick you mentioned earlier regarding her Stare being used against herself in a mirror to perform the counter-spell. But, she still has a small fang even now that even she doesn't seem to know about. ... Oh, and her cutie mark temporarily changed into three pink bats during that original transformation.

... And I thought the pink party one lived an insane life.

"Um... it's... good to see you, too."

~~~Death Battle~~~

Shigure
-Human that rides a pegasus into battle
-Inherited his mother's love for singing
-An excellent painter
-Sometimes goes flying for leisure
-Welcomes the company of animals when he sings
-Weapon of choice: Naginata
-Singing can help his allies recover 2 HP each
-Can ride faster than Caeldori: the Sky Knight that's supposedly perfect in every way (as perceived by her father Subaki)

There were once two powerful kingdoms: the constantly dark Nohr and the bright, bountiful Hoshido. Naturally, as kingdoms of opposing positions are ought to do, they got in a war with each other.

It had everything a good war should. Fighting, swords, death, loss of loved ones... you name it. And what kind of war would be complete without prisoners?

One of these prisoners that Hoshido took away from Nohr was a young woman named Azura. She had a natural prowess in singing and picked up combat with pole-arms during her lifetime.

Since she was a pretty anime woman, of course she was going to get laid. But war zones aren't exactly the best place to raise kids. Out there, you win some and you lose some.

Children?

Yeah!

Er... well... Luckily, Azura discovered a place where she could store her child safely for a while: the Deeprealms. These pocket dimensions in the world acted as temporary havens where children of the armies could grow up without constant fear of enemy invaders. The catch was that time worked much differently in the Deeprealms, accelerating years at a time in a matter of real-world weeks. As such, Shigure reached his teen years very shortly after Azura left him in there the first time.

And that whole "safe from enemy invaders" thing? Yeah, turns out it wasn't so safe after all. Just as Azura and her friends went sailing to check on things, a whole bunch of spirit-like invaders from a lost civilization attacked and slaughtered everyone in Shigure's village. He barely had time to climb onto a pegasus and fly to Azura's boat before collapsing from exhaustion.

With no one left in his Deeprealm to care for him, he decided that he needed to grow up and joined his mother in the quest to restore peace to the warring kingdoms. He practically inherited all of his mother's gifts and then some. His singing voice can restore a breath to his weary allies and his ability to swing a Naginata is enough to keep up with the rest of the army's pole-arm wielders.

As a Sky Knight class, he can ride his pegasus several feet farther than the average soldier can walk. He can also hang around above cliffs and treetops that the foot soldiers can't even touch.

He has memorized all of Azura's trademark song, including the forbidden fourth verse which can somehow weaken and potentially wipe out an ancient dragon that self-proclaimed itself as a god. The drawback is that singing this verse while powered by his mother's amulet will kill him painfully... or wipe the memories away from a group of kids that voluntarily relinquish them.

Wait, it takes a life or it takes memories? How the hell does that work?

Since it's life-risking, he reserves that verse as a last resort when he sees no other options. When Shigure isn't fighting enemy troops or dragon gods, he can usually be found painting gorgeous works of art or singing to a group of animals that like to be around him.

Pfft. Boring!

Listen to this, B. Shigure likes to fly on his pegasus for leisure and relaxation. Doing so enables him to beat Caeldori in a flying race, the same Caeldori that has proven to be the best strategist, planner, guard, and aerial fighter in their group of allies. His pegasus flew faster... because he was relaxed.

Ha ha! And you said doing nothing would never pay off. Well, look at me now!

*sigh* You've completely missed my point.

"My song is pure!"

~~~Death Battle~~~

Alright, the combatants are set. Let's settle this debate once and for all.

It's time for a Death Battle!

~~~Death Battle~~~

The sky is clear and blue today. It's almost a reflection of the blue hair on the young man riding a pegasus. He hums to himself as he takes in the moment. Then, he peeks over the side and catches a glimpse of something familiar. He flies down to investigate.

"Good tidings, Mozu!" he calls as he guides his ride to flap its wings and hover above one position.

"Oh hello, Shigure." Mozu greets back. "I was just looking for a bear I spotted earlier. But..."

She points down with her Naginata. Shigure follows the makeshift pointing device to what lies on the ground. It appears to be an orange creature with a brown hat covering its face. There's a scabbed-over stab wound in its chest area.

"I kind of got sidetracked with an exotic kind of meat." Mozu chuckles nervously. "I need someone to keep an eye on this while I go look for the bear. Would you mind helping me?"

"Of course." He nods. "I'll remain here while you search for your next meal."

"Thank you kindly, you blue cinna-bun." She puts on a determined face before turning on her heel. "We'll be having bear steaks tonight! Just you wait!"

"Looking forward to it!" He smiles at the farmer as she leaves his sight.

The pegsasus lands on the ground next to the orange creature and lowers its wings. The young man sighs as he looks around. He holds the pole of his weapon upright, keeping the blade pointed away from anything in particular. Taking another look at the recent kill that his comrade made, he speaks softly.

"What a shame. I probably would have liked to enjoy your company. But worry not, little creature. Your death was not in vain, for it will keep some of my friends alive a little longer."

---

A much littler pegasus pony flies around the treeline as quietly as possible. She calls out her friend's name in hushed whispers, but with a sense of urgency. Her body quivers and she bites her hoof nail as she moves further along. The longer she travels without hearing a reply, the more she worries. That's when she looks to the side and gasps.

Lying face-up with a hat over the muzzle, her friend isn't moving. It looks like an open wound released a stream of blood recently. But who would do such a thing as stab with a sword or a knife, or even a-

She spots a suspect: that sharp tool on top of a pole. Her eyes fixated on the weapon, she looks down and around. Eventually, her gaze rests on the suspicious face. To her, it seems to be smiling like a serpent playing with its food... and it's staring right at her friend's unmoving body.

"Applejack!" she cries out as she rushes over to her friend's side. "No, no, no, no, no. Get up! Please, get up!"

After brushing the hat to one side, she presses her friend's chest, gives a breath into her mouth, and puts her ear close. No breath exhaled, no heartbeat, nothing. Tears flow down the little pegasus's eyes. Then, her eyes switch to a furiously dry state. She jerks her head to look at the blue-haired face from earlier.

"You..." she seethes.

The man is simply baffled at what he's witnessing. "Pardon?"

"You do not! Kill! My! Friends!"

After a scream of rage, she flies straight for his face.

Out of a reflex, he lifts his Naginata defensively. Fluttershy's hoof slams against the weapon. She recoils backwards in the air while Shigure nearly falls backward off his steed. He grabs onto the reins, directing his big pegasus to fly upward.

Fluttershy zooms after and passes by the bigger creature easily. She starts flying around in circles and making passive hits against her new enemy. Shigure grunts against a couple of the impacts. He guides his ride to turn left while his spins his Naginata above his head.

"Wrong verse!" he declares.

Guiding his own pegasus to descend at an angle, he quickly reaches forth with the extended blade. A bashing sound effect is heard. Fluttershy yelps as a couple feathers from her wings tear off from the impact. She drops altitude quickly before taking a ninety-degree angle to fly parallel to the ground.

Shigure and his steed give chase, descending in an arc path. His one visible eye stares out past his combed-down hair. His hand twitches around the rein, urging his ally to fly faster. He flies pretty low to the ground and looks ahead.

The little pony gets an idea and flies straight into the canopy of one of the trees. This tree jiggles in place before fruits of red, yellow, and green shake loose and fall. She flies to the next tree and somehow shakes its fruit loose as well. She keeps going like this and so forth.

"What is this?" Shigure guides his ride left and right to avoid the makeshift projectiles. For the apples that can't be avoided, he cuts through cleanly with his pole-arm's blade.

Suddenly, Fluttershy is right in front of the bigger pegasus. She opens her eyes wide and stares with an intense aura. The steed rears back and immediately lands its hooves against the ground. The sudden deceleration sends the rider toppling head over heels across the screen.

Shigure groans as he tries to sit upright and holds his hand against his head. He looks around slowly. His Naginata is wedged into a patch of dirt beside him. He reaches over to grab it, only to watch it disappear in a blur of yellow and magenta.

The camera zooms in on a small fang before zooming out to reveal the rest of its mouth and its owner. Fluttershy practically growls as she spins the weapon around. Without a moment to spare, she stabs the Naginata through the young man against a tree trunk.

Shigure coughs up blood. "My song... is sung..." He then hangs limply.

"Brutality!"

~~~Death Battle~~~

Good gosh! Where did that monster come from and why is it wearing a little pony as its body?

It's usually not in Fluttershy's nature or intentions to outright kill other people. However, desperation and stress have pushed her over the edge, leading her to inflict harm upon even her closest friends. Taking that a step further with a complete stranger isn't completely beyond her.

I'll admit, I wouldn't be too happy if a close friend of mine got killed either.

Shigure may have had a slight advantage in formal combat experience and intelligence, but most of that requires his teamwork with his pegasus during a battle. Once he lost that, there wasn't much he could do on his own. Even if he had resorted to his last resort fourth verse, that would have required time that he just would not have against Fluttershy's naturally aggressive speed.

But how did Fluttershy's Stare work on his pegasus? Aren't they both ponies?

Ah, but that's just it. The Stare does not work on ponies from Equestria since they hold similar levels of sentience as herself. Shigure's pegasus is closer to that of a feral horse, and the Stare can work on other animals. In Shigure's defense, he cannot be affected himself.

That just leaves the question of long-ranged vs. short-ranged combat. While reach is good, it doesn't quite stack up to the speed and focus Fluttershy gets when she's motivated, plus she's strong enough to crush ribs with just her hooves.

And with no other allies to support him, Shigure wouldn't have many options for such a confrontation.

I guess Shigure is a one-hit wonder.

The winner is Fluttershy.

~~~Death Battle~~~

Next time on Side Battle *cough cough* *hack* *cough cough*

...

Uh... we may have a problem here.
---

Author's Note:

Well, as you've probably already guessed, I don't have a set schedule for the work I submit to this site. But I'll do my best to enjoy myself, and maybe even entertain some of you if I'm lucky.

PreviousChapters Next