• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 7,351 Views, 871 Comments

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For (A Death Battle Parody) - TundraStanza



Think about it like Death Battle, only with less death and more hyperactive dialogue. It all started with a fateful encounter between Deadpool and Pinkie Pie. It turned into something bigger.

  • ...
34
 871
 7,351

PreviousChapters Next
Side Battle: Too Many Powers

Advisory: Please set "Formatting" to "Dark" before scrolling down. Thank you.

A/N: Work with what you know. I happen to know the fan-made character just a little too well.
Properties in this chapter belong to Hasbro, ScrewAttack, RoosterTeeth, and TundraStanza.
---

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For

Season 5

Side Battle

I'll get the flame shield.

What would you do if you had the power to copy certain powers that you had previously witnessed?

Why, I'd abuse the hell out of them, obviously!

These two combatants are about to do just that in this battle of the overpowered.

Velvet Scarlatina from the RWBY series...

... will face Shier the Nightmare from The Moon Shall Rise From Hell's Ashes.

She's N and I'm the guy, F.

And it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.

---Death Battle---

Velvet
-Velvet Scarlatina
-Team: CFVY
-A faunus with rabbit-like ears
-Likes taking photos... a lot of photos
-Weapon: A camera conduit that can create solid "light copies" of any weapon that it has photographed; limited number of hits
-Maximum capacity shown: All of the weapons from Team RWBY, Team CFVY, Team JNPR, Sun, and Penny
-Trained to be a Huntress at Beacon Academy
-Aura: 100
-Very agile and jumps high, but has limited endurance

Hang around at Beacon Academy for a few days and you'll probably meet the 18-year-old, rabbit-eared girl known as Velvet Scarlatina. She tends to be rather shy, whether by choice or as a coping mechanism for the constant bullying against her faunus phenotype.

Stupid anti-furries. They're always making a bigger problem than the guys they hate.

She has trained at Beacon to become a Huntress and is the third letter on Team CFVY.

Where the heck is "F" in "Velvet Scarlatina?"

N-No. She's the "V".

There's no "V" in "coffee". Come on, N! You're supposed to be the smart one!

Ugh! *She shakes her head.* When she's not trying to retrieve her ears from the bully, Velvet can usually be found taking pictures of other people.

She really likes Sun's abs, doesn't she?

Those aren't just for a photography elective class. Her pictures often capture the weapons in the images, storing them in the camera that doubles as her Huntress weapon. When given permission, she activates her weapon's secret power.

The secret power of turning into Ditto from Pokemon!

Er, not exactly. Her camera weapon can create solid "light copies" of the weapons in its stored pictures, which she can use to the same effect as their original wielders. The catch is that these weapons only last for a few hits before phasing out. So, like Coco says, Velvet has to 'make them count'.

At her best, Velvet has at least one picture of each of the weapons of her teammates, her friends from Team RWBY, Team JNPR, Sun's nunchaku-guns, and Penny's backpack. Keep in mind, that the android can manipulate swords around with nearly invisible coils that can spin in place to shoot mech-stopping lasers!

Which brings us to Velvet's Semblance. She can copy the original wielder's proficiency and technique for as long as she's holding the light copy of the right weapon. However, that ability fades when the respective weapon does.

Kind of like how Ditto has far fewer power points when using its opponents' moves.

Sure, we'll go with that. Even without copying other people's techniques, Velvet can jump several feet in the air and run around at supersonic speeds, essentially the speed of sound.

~Velvet, she can really move! Velvet, she's got an attitude...~

Yes, yes, the similarity with Sonic isn't lost on me, F. Thank you very little.

If she can copy other people's moves just by taking a snapshot of their weapons, wouldn't that make her the most powerful Huntress in the entire RWBY universe?

Well, not quite. Her Aura is just as amazing as the others since it can protect her against much of the initial damage dealt against her. However, a high endurance is not a cheat code for infinite health. In fact, she can be knocked out of a state where she's using one weapon, forcing her to take a few seconds to recover her breath.

And ultimately, Weiss had to step in and unlock her own hidden potential to take down the mech that gave Velvet a punch in the face.

Still, you've got to give props to the writers for biding their time so long before pulling out their Deus Ex Machina fighter.

I'll give them props when she can bring back Monty Oum from the dead.

Ouch.

"Most people don't know what it's like on the battlefield. I mean, even experienced fighters can get scared and start seeing things."

---Death Battle---

Shier the Nightmare
-Dilan Shier
-A human soul forced into the newly formed body of Nightmare Moon
-Serves relatively hidden under the guidance of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna
-An ever-evolving Nightmare pony every time she absorbs a fragment of the Nightmare
-Holds limited powers from some of the Nightmare pieces she has absorbed: Lightning Punch, Shadow Sprint, Hatred Absorption, and Solar Shield
-Weapon: Pinnacle Epee (a mainly stabbing weapon for fencing); trained in swordplay by Luna and her closest Night Guards
-Adrenaline perk: One of the fragments takes over personality-wise and power-wise when Shier loses strength or is near-death
-Willing Nightmare parts: Nightmare Spectrum (the fragment from Rainbow Dash), The Pony of Shadows AKA Posh (the fragment from the castle of the two sisters), "Tail Demon" (Sombra), and Reflect Sun (the fragment from Celestia)
-Symbiosis: If Luna suffers injury, so does Shier

To any newcomer, Shier might seem like your common human protagonist trapped in a pony villain trope. But she didn't start there. Twenty-six year old Dilan Shier was once a medical assistant in a foreign world called 'Earth'.

And she was originally a guy. I don't think I'd ever have survived so long if turning into a pony had taken away my p-

But a night out in town with some friends ended abruptly when a speeding Ford rammed straight into the backseat of the car Dilan was riding in. Due to a lack of faith, he ended up in Limbo, the first circle of Hell.

But he wouldn't stay long. A mysterious burning lady slammed right into him, launching his soul right through dimensions onto the floor of the Castle of Two Sisters in the middle of a wild forest. Turns out, he became what N here would be if she were older, wore armor, and were completely evil.

I'm going to try really hard to ignore that you implied that I could be completely evil. Besides, Shier didn't have anyone else in her mind to influence her actions. She even met up with Steven Magnet and later Zecora. Through the zebra's book, Shier learned about the origin of Nightmare Moon, the creature whose body she now had.

Zecora led her to Ponyville on a shopping trip, and then basically ditched her after Luna and two bat ponies showed up. Seeing as Shier didn't have a lot of fighting experience, even when she was still human, it didn't take long for them to beat her to a bloody pulp.

That is until some deeper instinct of the Nightmare kicked in and used her tail to defend her. As it turns out, her mane and her tail can reach and expand for long lengths. Each is strong enough to carry several pounds, such as both of the bat ponies at the same time to defend against one of Luna's lightning spells... or that one time she held up all of her individual armor pieces at once.

After a quick blast from the Elements of Harmony, Shier fell unconscious, waking up in a medical wing in Canterlot Castle. There, she learned that she would be the "temporary" guest of both the resident princesses until further notice. Add to that some magical symbiosis nonsense, and eventually Sombra ended up joining Shier in her own tail.

While the union is a little... unorthodox... the inclusion of this new "Tail Demon" actually provided a new power for Shier. As more and more fragments of Nightmare were discovered across Equestria that possessed various ponies, Shier could now use her tail to neutralize the darkness of hatred and restore those ponies back to their normal selves. In addition, she could conjure medium-sized dark crystals, exactly like those of the Crystal King's dark magic.

Wait, if he's in her tail, does that mean he constantly has a good view of her... you know?

Utilizing Sombra's power to feed on hatred, Shier can also tap into a little bit of the power of each Nightmare fragment she absorbs. Her current Nightmare-fueled powers include a hoof-full of lightning when she jabs with her right, the ability to overshadow other ponies, Shadowride and Shadow Sprint, which let her hide within and dash between the shadows respectively, and a magical shield that repels other magic and projectile-based attacks.

After some training with Luna's Night Guard, and some card game nonsense with Discord, Shier knows how to duel with straight swords, and stab a hundred times in one second. Her sword of choice is the Pinnacle Epee, a card which can change into a fencing sword and back again whenever she wants.

It gets even crazier. Unbeknownst to others, Shier actually attempted to fight Tirek in order to provide a distraction while Twilight and her friends opened up the mystery box of Harmony. But even though the centaur drained her of her magic, he did not get all of it. Within her subconscious mind, every one of the Nightmare fragments' personalities lives on. Each can have a turn taking control of Nightmare Moon's body should Shier feel drained of energy or fall unconscious. Additionally, the personality in control has access to all of the powers that they had before Shier absorbed them.

The default personality that surfaces is the fragment from Rainbow Dash called Nightmare Spectrum. She can fly around at Mach speeds and create lightning strikes with any of her hooves.

The Pony of Shadows can twist her form using the shadows of her enemies, creating strangling limbs and twist with enough force to crack a normal pony's neck.

Even Sombra can jump in and properly raise his dark crystal pillars to match the height of skyscrapers.

But the strongest of Shier's willing fragment personalities is the one taken from a brief connection with Celestia. Reflect Sun has enough magical power to scorch her enemies, throw objects with telekinesis, teleport, create multiple shields to defend herself and her allies, and even obliterate everything around her with a self-destructive Supernova. But this is a last-resort move, leaving nothing behind but a helmet that can temporarily loan a small power boost to whatever pony puts it on.

Dang, with all that power between herself and her multiple personalities, she sounds invincible.

Well, not quite. Remember, there are forces that can overpower Celestia. So, it's probably safe to assume that interdimensional magic and a nasty surprise like the Smooze could also overpower Shier. Additionally, Shier has an unbreakable symbiotic relationship with Luna. If Luna experiences pain, Shier feels the same kind of strain on her body. Oddly enough, this also applies to whatever they taste and their sobriety.

Wait... are you saying that if both of them drink booze, they'll get twice as drunk in half the time?

Pretty much, yes.

That sounds awesome! I should get me one of those symbiotic pony twins. We'll be a blast at parties!

*She sighs.* One of you is enough, F.

"I've started having doubts regarding how good and bad really work as far as the afterlife is concerned. I'd speculate that there's something even bigger out there. Beyond that, I guess it will demand some time for me to look into further."

---Death Battle---

All right, the combatants are set. Let's settle this debate once and for all.

It's time for a Death Battle!

---Death Battle---

On a cliffside, Velvet Scarlatina walks up casually. She bends her knees in preparation. The wind blows, creating a bit of reverberation against her ears. In the next instant, the white launch pad under her feet swings to a 90-degree angle. The Huntress goes flying through the air.

Presumably several yards later, she grabs hold of a tree branch with both hands. She swings under and over with the flexibility of a gymnast. After one loop, she lets go and steps both feet against a lower branch ahead of her. She hops to the next tree. Eventually, her maneuvers finish with a perfect landing technique on the forest floor.

As the Huntress walks along, she suddenly stops in surprise. She sees what looks like a black horse wearing midnight blue armor plating and metal tips atop feathered wings. The pony's ear twitches, convincing the mare to turn around. The dark pony's red, gas-like tail curls around in anticipation. She stares ahead with both her orange eye and her turquoise eye. Each of the irises are slit like a dragon.

Velvet wonders if this is a new kind of Grimm. The pony opens her wings, sensing hostility in the air.

"FIGHT!"

A light shines from Velvet's pocket to either of her wrists. She jabs the air a few times, creating the sound of shotgun blasts. Shier gasps while jumping to the side. A tree behind her gets the full impact of the white shots, shattering the tree into logs and splinters. The Nightmare pony takes flight toward the canopy.

The light weapons change shape around the Huntress's hands. They now look like a couple of pistols with sharp guard attachments. Velvet hops up and uses her feet to push off one tree after another to pursue her target. The sound from the 'pistols' is more like that of a couple battle rifles as she fires.

Shier turns and weaves around various branches. The bullets mostly hit wood, though a couple nick her back armor plating. Grunting, she pulls a U-turn around one of the larger trees. She tries a right jab of her own against the quickly approaching opponent. The light pistols vanish and a staff weapon quickly takes its place to block the incoming punch.

Sparks travel along the staff's length, causing Velvet to twitch all over under her skin. She splits her light staff into a couple of segments, connected by a translucent chain. She twirls it around to whack the enemy a few times from either side. Shier groans and holds either hoof against her muzzle.

Velvet does a flip before landing on the ground. She runs ahead at a blurry speed. Meanwhile, Shier shakes her head from the pain and flies after. As the Huntress runs, the light from her pocket projects a giant scythe. Velvet grabs hold of it and swings it against some of the trees she passes by.

The Nightmare pony dives down to avoid the incoming wood and she seems to fade into the second dimension as a tree stump's shadow. Part of that shadow then dashes to the shade provided by the next tree stump. That keeps repeating for a few more shadows, until she comes back into the third dimension right in front of Velvet. Shier pulls out her card and it becomes a red-orange epee.

The Huntress matches her opponent's new weapon by exchanging her light scythe for a light rapier. Each of them thrust at each other and parry for a few strikes. Then, a flash of the pony's eye leads into a flurry of stabs that ultimately send the light rapier flying. Several more stabs hit Velvet in multiple places. Her Aura glows faintly to keep the worst of the damage off of her.

In desperation, she seems to pull out her next light weapon copy at random. It becomes a folding sword that she uses to whack the epee out of Shier's grasp. She then tosses the end like a rope dart. Shier glides into a tree's shadow to avoid the flying blade. With a grunt, Velvet holds her arms above her head as her light copy becomes a giant hammer.

She slams the hammer into the ground, displacing much of the dirt and rock underneath and around her. Shier is forced to rise up back in solid form. The force of the shock wave sends the Nightmare pony into a nearby tree, cracking the bark behind her. As she looks ahead, her opponent's hammer phases out while a mini-gun phases in.

"Oh, foxtrot," Shier mutters as she closes her eyes and conjures a big orange sphere around her.

Translucent bullets fly out of Velvet's weapon copy and batter the magical shield. Said defense vibrates a lot, but doesn't seem to break. It's too bad she doesn't have the hammer anymore. Instead, she pulls out the next best thing while running forward. A giant samurai's sword is lifted high before she slams it down.

The shield breaks and Shier gasps. She barely has enough time to utter one more syllable before Velvet swings her current weapon copy sideways. The Nightmare pony is sent rolling along the cracked up earth. She shakes as she tries to stand up, but can't. She exhales as she closes her eyes.

Velvet's weapon switches again to a two-piece set. A round shield is equipped to her left hand while a sharp sword is grasped in her right hand. She runs forth and prepares to jab the sword right down on the grounded enemy.

*Bling!*

A rush of seven colors moves the pony's body away. Velvet's attack hits nothing but a rock. Before she can ask, "What?" a flurry of hoof strikes hit her from every conceivable direction in succession. Electricity courses all around her as the Nightmare pony delivers an uppercut to her face. In midair, Velvet's Aura flashes once more around her before seeming to fizzle out.

From above, the Nightmare pony claps her hooves together. This creates a huge bolt of lightning heading straight down. Velvet's eyes go wide as there is nothing left to stop this burning, internal pain. Her body goes limp as she collapses on the rocky crater below.

The pony hovers in place by flapping her wings. Her magenta eyes stare down at her opponent in disappointment.

"K.O.!"

---Death Battle---

Huh. That win was rather...

Shocking?

No, well-earned. What you just said is asinine.

Aw...

While Velvet technically had a wider variety of weapons to choose from, it didn't really matter when Shier had the means to defend herself or evade almost the entire arsenal. It's true that Velvet can run at speeds that match sound. However, Shier's potential speed surpasses that. I don't just mean with Nightmare Spectrum's powers. Within the world that Shier currently resides, it's explained that shadows are actually composed of places where light crosses over itself, creating the illusion of light's absence. In other words, her ability to sprint from shadow to shadow is actually happening at light speed, many times faster than even Mach 2 or 3.

Even against the weapons' power that she couldn't avoid, she had a few personalities that could tag-in to the fight, just in case. And before you guys say Death Battle doesn't allow outside help, those other personalities are permanently stuck in her subconscious. They're all technically a part of her, meaning they're not outside help. Chill!

Shier's fencing speed is also faster than Velvet or her copy of Weiss's technique. Even if she somehow snapped a photo of Shier's Pinnacle Epee during the fight, it wouldn't have helped her much. Remember, those light copies only last for a few hits. So even if she started out hitting back with the same speed as Shier, her copy wouldn't last for as many hits as the real thing.

Couldn't Velvet just copy Nora's Semblance to absorb the lightning?

Only when she's wielding her light copy of Nora's hammer, and again that would only last for a few hits. Not enough to withstand all of the hits from both Shier and Spectrum combined.

Yeah, even when she's in a nice mood, Spectrum could probably shock twelve different Benjamin Franklins flying their kites with keys on the same day. As seen in one of RWBY's arena battles, one direct electricity shock can wipe out three different ladies' Auras at once. With all her endurance, I'm afraid Velvet's Aura just doesn't quite add up to that.

Finally, Shier is no stranger to guns. Remember, she started out her life as a human being. Twenty-six years on Earth is plenty of time to hear about the basics. She would know that getting shot would be a bad thing and instead try to dodge and defend accordingly.

This little bunny should have stayed home.

The winner is Shier the Nightmare.

---Death Battle---

Next time on Death Battle...

A fireball charges up in the darkness.

"Fight me or leave!"

---

Author's Note:

For the record, I do like Velvet more than I like Shier.

PreviousChapters Next