• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 7,352 Views, 871 Comments

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For (A Death Battle Parody) - TundraStanza



Think about it like Death Battle, only with less death and more hyperactive dialogue. It all started with a fateful encounter between Deadpool and Pinkie Pie. It turned into something bigger.

  • ...
34
 871
 7,352

PreviousChapters Next
A Hero Emerges

Advisory: Please makes sure "Formatting" is set to "Dark" to allow colored text to be legible. Thank you.

MCs represent!
Properties in this chapter belong to Hasbro, DEATH Battle channel, and Nintendo.
---

The Moment No Pony was Waiting For

(A Death Battle Parody)

~Da-na, da-na, da-na...~

They're the faces of their franchises and the praised heroes in their stories.

But only one of them gets to claim victory here and now!

Twilight Sparkle, Equestria's "Princess of Friendship".

And Mario, savior of princesses and kicker of Koopa tail!

For this battle, neither combatant will have access to items that make them invincible for indefinite time periods. We want to test only their skills and what they'd most likely carry under their normal circumstances.

Basically, they're not getting extra alicorn magic from other princesses or any leaves that somehow outlast stars. You want that stuff included? Make that fight scene on your own time!

He's B and I'm W, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.

~~~Death Battle~~~

-Species: Alicorn, previously a unicorn
-Bearer of the Element of Magic, fueled by literal energy from friendship and emotions
-Flight, magic, and strength of all three basic pony types
-Illumination, teleportation, magic beams, magic shields, transfiguration, levitation, partial intangibility (see episode "Inspiration Manifestation"), dark magic (see two-parter "The Crystal Empire"), gravity alteration, spell reproduction/copy
-Detail-oriented and extremely book smart
-Stubborn and neurotic; prone to making mistakes when events aren't happening by the book/plan

The land of Equestria is filled with several ponies. Some can fly and control weather. Others can push around heavy objects and enhance plant growth. Then there are the ones that can cast spells to affect parts of the world around them.

Enter Twilight Sparkle! She's a book smart horse that used to be a unicorn. After finishing a spell revolving around... *sigh*... the 'Magic of Friendship'... she became an alicorn, growing wings in the process.

As an alicorn pony, Twilight's magical power is stronger than before. She also gained the strength of an earth pony, once accidentally breaking part of a door with her bare hoof, and the flight of pegasi. She has often been tasked with saving the world alongside her friends on multiple occasions. She has faced and survived encounters with the likes of shadow ponies, a reality-warping draconequus, a swarm of shape-shifting changelings, dragons, a magic-stealing centaur, and a unicorn that had enough raw magic to surpass some of her own capabilities.

And get this: She was destined to become friends with five other ponies just because one of them broke the visible light spectrum by flying so fast that they made a sonic boom! Oh, and she has a dragon for an assistant. I can't make this s*ess*t up!

Among Twilight's humble spell collection are spells for levitation, illumination, copying other ponies' spells after a single observation, dark magic that draws on negative emotions, gravity altering, partial intangibility that allowed her to free two ponies from crystal imprisonment, and transfiguration on both inanimate and living targets.

Jeepers! What can't this Element of Magic pony girl do?

Well, she's not without faults. Her hyper-focus can leave her so engrossed in a book's contents that she doesn't remember to sleep and eat. She also has extreme bouts of neurosis, losing confidence and sanity when things don't go according to her well thought-out plans. For example, she once tried to tell the princesses of the sun and moon to move the sun and moon... even though they had already been doing so for their entire lives. Heck, Celestia was capable of moving both of these heavenly objects for one thousand years by herself. They don't really need reminding.

Yeah... kind of a brain-fart moment for the youngest princess.

Second youngest.

What?

Princess Cadance and Shining Armor gave birth to the currently youngest princess: Flurry Heart. Twilight is actually the aunt to the youngest princess.

Oh, right. ... That creature.

Anyway, after an adventure that involved finding a lost civilization and ousting a Storm King, Twilight set up an entire school to allow all creatures of Equestria to learn about the Magic of Friendship.

Okay, but why are her friends also teachers at this school? Don't most of them have actual jobs to take care of back in Ponytown?

Ponyville.

Whatever!

"So try again! Make new friends! And if something that you can't control happens that changes things, work through it together! That's what friendship is!"

~~~Death Battle~~~

-Species: Human
-One of the Star Children, destined for great things
-Hero of the Mushroom Kingdom
-Strength enough to break bricks and crush foes underneath
-Capable of surviving many circumstances that would kill ordinary men
-Items and powers: Fire Flower, Ice Flower, Propeller Shroom, Gold Flower, Hammer, Super Star
-Determined and straightforward; tends to use up available items far too quickly

Mario has had several different occupations throughout his life: Plumber, chef, construction worker, quack. But the most impressive on his resume would be Hero of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Yeah, after saving his girlfriend from a giant ape, he upgraded to rescuing a princess... multiple times.

For the most part, he barely speaks. That's just fine, as there's usually no time to explain before he gets sucked into his next adventure. More often than not, he ends up fighting the minions of the evil King Bowser. These include Koopas, Goombas, living bullets, Bo-bombs...

... lizard wizards, paper demons, and a caterpillar. Huh. There's got to be something in all of those Shrooms he eats. I mean, if tripping balls makes him grow bigger, why can't they do the same for me?

Moving on. Aside from the 'growth Shrooms', Mario has a few different flowers that give him control over certain elements such as fire, ice, and gold.

Wait, gold? You mean like that Gaara guy from the Sand Village? Does that mean Mario can sweep enemies away in a wave of gold dust?

Uh... no. There's no evidence to suggest that Mario can do anything like that. But he can turn certain enemies and obstacles into gold coins.

Oh! So he can tank the economy! Nice.

Right... anyway, Mario's Super Star gives him temporary invincibility and obliterates any normal enemies that touch him while he's in this state.

And if he's up for a game of whack-a-Koopa, he can pull out his hammer, or just kick their shell at enemies with his boot.

Even when he doesn't have access to a power-up, he still has the reaction speed necessary to pilot a light-speed star vehicle. This means that he can process what he's seeing a split-second faster than the average man.

So he's 'seeing faster'?

Do not start me down that road. We don't have time for me to draw out my entire rant on the W-Board.

"Oh yeah! Mario time!"

~~~Death Battle~~~

Alright, the combatants are set. Let's settle this debate once and for all.

It's time for a Death Battle!

~~~Death Battle~~~

Sunlight shines down upon the town this day. Birds chirp and sing while flowers bloom in the presence of their pony caretakers. The camera sways from side to side, floating over various houses. Eventually, it centers in on the Castle of Friendship in all of its sparkling glory. The resident princess flies into view and lands all four hooves in front of the castle door.

She opens a part of the giant door and trots inside. Her humming of a catchy tune indicates a pleasant mood. She doesn't even mind that the hallway she goes down is far longer than the inside of the tree's trunk should allow. Everything is certainly fine.

The background music performs a record scratch as the alicorn stops her trot to perform a double-take. Her dragon... her little purple assistant... her baby boy... is lying on the floor... dead. Her eye twitches as she looks around for any explanation whatsoever. Her gaze falls upon the man in a green outfit and overalls.

"Luigi, Number 1," he mutters. His giant hammer is covered in blood and a few stray dragon scales. He turns to look at the pony. "Huh?"

She yells at the top of her lungs, causing an earthquake all around the castle.

...

In the restroom, the giant green pipe from a previous fight is still sitting there. A short man in a red outfit and overalls pops out and does a flip before standing on the tile floor. He looks around the place, humming to himself.

This brief search and pondering is interrupted by a crazy lady's shout echoing through the walls. He initially yelps in surprise before briskly walking out of the restroom door. He gasps at what he sees next. His brother, Luigi, is covered in scorch marks and is running back and forth, trying to dodge magic beams coming from a lavender horse with wings.

"Help!" Luigi calls, though he isn't sure to whom.

The shorter, yet older brother pulls out a yellow star with eyes from his pocket and triggers it. He glows in a rainbow aura as some catchy, upbeat tune plays in the background. He runs over just as Luigi crouches into a fetal position. The horse's next beam hits the glowing man spot-on and creates a cloud of smoke.

As the smoke clears, it appears that neither the man nor his brother are harmed.

"Mario!" Luigi calls out in relief.

Whatever power the star granted Mario wears off, as does the invincibility theme. Mario points a finger toward the restroom, indicating that Luigi should leave that way. Luigi nods and quickly dashes off to do just that. The alicorn princess doesn't look too happy with that direction.

"You're not getting away!" She flashes out of her position in a magenta light, then reappears right in Luigi's way.

Luigi screams that his escape route is cut off. Mario jumps over, crouches, then proceeds to upper-cut the pony out of the way. Luigi takes this opening to run into the restroom and jumps down the giant green pipe. Three identical sound effects mark his descent.

The pony rubs her cheek with her hoof. "You let that murderer get away! I won't let you leave here like he did!"

Oddly enough, Mario looks okay with that as he adjusts his hat and gloves. "Let's-a go!"

Twilight Sparkle lowers her head and fires three spells from her horn. Mario hops over the first spell, slide-kicks under the second blast, and spins himself into a double lariat. However, when one of his fists collides with the third spell blast, he abruptly stops his spin. He holds his right hand with his left, massaging against the new pain. While he's doing that, Twilight flies up for a loop before gliding into a body tackle.

Mario bends his knees while doing several back-flips. His shoes touch the wall before he rebounds forward and up. He pulls out his hammer from his deep pockets and swings it down over his head. Twilight conjures a spherical shield around herself. Upon contact, the giant hammer bounces off the shield. Mario yelps before hitting the shield three more times.

With a flash from her horn, Twilight teleports out of the shield and appears right behind the man. She casts a quick magic blast. This blast catches Mario in the back and sends him sliding along the floor. His hammer collapses several feet down the hall. Twilight flaps her wings and gains some altitude.

Picking himself up, Mario chomps down on a Propeller Shroom. He spins around really quickly on his feet. With the sound effect of a bi-plane, he quickly rises into the air to meet Twilight's current position. Her brow furrows as she casts another spell. Mario forces himself to drop a few inches before floating around in circles. The latest spell flies right over his head.

Twilight takes a deep breath before her eyes fill with white light. A wave of magic covers the length of the hall in front of her. Mario holds onto his orange propeller hat, bracing for an impact. But it doesn't seem to physically hit him. He looks around in confusion.

Behind him, the young dragon's corpse suddenly floats up and collides with the ceiling. The plumber's hammer flies into the ceiling as well. Actually, it seems more accurate to say that these objects fall to the ceiling. It's at this time that Mario realizes that he's slowly spinning upside-down. He attempts to gain some extra air by spinning his propeller, but this action quickly conks his head against the floor.

A little dazed, Mario's Shroom effects wear off and he returns to his casual red outfit. Twilight observes his falling path toward the ceiling and fires a beam of magic right to where he's going to be. Mario shakes his head just in time to get blasted backward. After spinning head-over-heels for what feels like the umpteenth time this day, he manages to fish out a blue flower with eyes from his pocket.

Twilight flies up after the upside-down plumber, charging up her horn to finish him off. She gasps as several blue fire(?) balls shoot around and at her. After a couple hits, the pony feels herself encased in a block of ice. Her flight momentum plus gravity lead to a hill-shaped path that she follows. Mario lands on the ceiling, bending one knee for a heroic pose.

He pulls off his hat and declares, "Oh yeah! Mario's the winner!"

But at this time, Twilight's entire body glows inside the ice block. Just before it hits the ground, she appears to phase through the edge of the block, leaving nothing but the ice to crash into pieces on the floor. Meanwhile, the pony princess teleports and appears right in front of the still upside-down plumber. Rage turns her white magic to black and green, and she focuses it into a large beam attack.

Mario digs through his pockets for something. He grunts a silent question as he takes a quick look into his overalls.

---

Earlier...

The shorter, yet older brother pulls out a yellow star with eyes from his pocket and triggers it. He glows in a rainbow aura as some catchy, upbeat tune plays in the background. He runs over just as Luigi crouches into a fetal position. The horse's next beam hits the glowing man spot-on and creates a cloud of smoke.

As the smoke clears, it appears that neither the man nor his brother are harmed.

"Mario!" Luigi calls out in relief.

Whatever power the star granted Mario wears off, as does the invincibility theme.

---

"D'oh..." Mario goes to himself.

The slightly upward diagonal beam of dark magic crashes through Mario and the ceiling above his feet. He cries out as his Ice Flower power is quickly stripped away. The reverse gravity spell is still in effect and the man in pain quickly floats up into the sky and away from the Equestrian planet.

Twilight levitates the hammer and tosses it through the hole in the ceiling. She flies up and magically throws it further along. The rate it falls away from the planet is faster than its owner. Before Mario can utter a last, "Mama mia," the hammer collides with his Adam's apple. His eyes roll back on his face as his hat floats off his hair.

K.O.!

~~~Death Battle~~~

Holy *eff*! I didn't know there was a bad ending to Super Mario Galaxy!

This was a bit difficult to determine for sure. At a purely physical strength level, Mario probably has the edge, as his most common method of fighting is with his fists and his feet. However, strength alone is typically never enough to win a Death Battle. That's why we needed to take note of their other capabilities.

Mario typically has a bunch of power-items to choose from, ranging from fire attacks, ice attacks, and even just straight-up walking through enemies. But we couldn't assume every Mario was the same Mario. Many of the movie and cartoon-specific feats don't match up with what the staple game series Mario can do. Outliers such as Smash Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy titles had a tendency to exaggerate his abilities too. Plus the Mario Bros. 2 game wasn't meant to be a Mario game. It was actually a re-imagining of another game with a completely different protagonist. So, no time-stopping watches or giant radishes would have made it into this fight.

Finally, Mario cannot actually hold every single item he's ever come across all at once. This is where we have to differ from our real-show counterparts. We need to give Mario something that makes sense for him to carry around in his own ordinary circumstances and not solely on what could be found in specific worlds.

On the flip side, we've got Twilight Sparkle who has been pretty much the same character throughout her cartoon series. None of what she's capable of has been lost. Everything she can do as a unicorn, she can still do as an alicorn. She's probably even better at doing those things too.

Twilight had more options for maneuvering and adapting to problematic situations due to her natural flight and knowledge of spells that she has at all times. Contrary to Mario who had to take time to use items, she can use any of her powers. This meant that Mario had to spend most of the fight playing catch-up.

Mario could react to obstacles that were coming at him at light speed, but some of Twilight's spells are near instantaneous, meaning they were shooting and changing the environment for Mario even faster than he could react.

And since it wasn't shown in the simulated battle, I'll explain one more thing here. Mario's golden flower might have been able to change Twilight to gold had it ever made contact. However, Twilight has been shown to be able to alter her very species even when she's not in her alicorn form. Plus, she can transfigure organic and non-organic material with a combination of other spells she's picked up over the years.

There's no doubt that Mario is a great face for Nintendo and an awesome hero, but he just didn't have the means to beat Twilight nine times out of ten.

In the end, Twilight's larger magical repertoire, intelligence, and adaptability won her the hard-fought victory.

Mario just couldn't Twi...light hard enough.

The winner is Twilight Sparkle.

~~~Death Battle~~~

---

Author's Note:

Sometimes, I wonder if I use revenge too often as a motivation for these fights to take place.

PreviousChapters Next