• Published 24th Jul 2017
  • 1,704 Views, 44 Comments

Journey through Alola - darkmage1997



Will, Fluttershy, Toby, Serenity, and Silver Spoon travel through the Alola region

  • ...
18
 44
 1,704

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 53: Mina's Trial (Part 1)

After arriving at the Pokémon Center to get their Pokémon all healed up, our heroes were currently going over the strategy for Mina's Trial, "Ok, it's safe to assume that Mina is going to use Fairy Type Pokémon, which are weak against Poison and Steel Types. Fire Types also have a defensive advantage over Fairy Types. We also need to avoid sending in any Fighting, Dark, and Dragon Types," Will stated.

"I have that one Pokémon I caught in Ultra Space," Toby commented.

"You mean Drapion, right?" Will asked.

"Yeah. It should be able to help me out. But I also have Metagross and Mawile as well," Toby added.

"I have Steelix, Probopass, and Bronzong on my team, so I'm good there," Fluttershy said.

"Haunter knows Sludge Bomb, and I had Magnezone learn Flash Cannon," Silver Spoon added.

"And finally, I have Aggron and Muk. So I think we're set for the trial," Will stated.

"So, we only saw that trial in the canyon, but what exactly is this whole trial thing?" Rusty asked.

"As the name suggests, it's a task that trial goers, like the four of us, must accomplish to earn one of these Z Crystals," Toby said, showing Rusty the Firium Z.

"Each trial is different, so we have no idea what to expect from Mina," Will added, as the bell went off. The four trainers went to collect their Pokémon, "Mina will explain the details of the trial when we get there," he said, as they left the Pokémon Center, only to find Mina standing outside.

"You guys ready?" Mina asked.

"We are," Will replied.

"Then follow me," Mina said, leading them through the village. They eventually arrived at a house boat. This led to some confusion amongst the group.

"Uh, Mina? Not that we're judging or anything, but isn't this boat a little.... small to hold a trial?" Fluttershy asked.

"It is, if you look at it from the angle you're looking at. Anyhow, here's how my trial is going to work. The four of you are to travel across Alola collecting various flower petals from the other Trial Captains. What will these petals do? Well, you're just going to have to collect all seven petals to find out," Mina said, as she led them inside the houseboat. Inside, they saw a corner of the room, littered with canvas paintings and other art supplies.

Mina's Trial
Trial Goers: Will, Flora, Toby, and Sylvia

"For the first part of my trial, only one of you needs to battle me. Who will it be?" Mina asked.

"I'll go," Will volunteered, as he stepped forth.

"We'll each use two Pokémon. Two knockouts are need for a win. Sound cool?" Mina asked. Will nodded, as Mina readied her first Pokeball, "Ok then, Mawile, come out and play," Mina said, releasing a Mawile of her own, but it was a different color than Toby's.

"Ok, Marowak! To my side!" Will said, releasing Marowak.

"You can have the first move if you want," Mina said nonchalantly.

"Alright then. Marowak, use Bone Rush!" Will instructed. Marowak, wielding it's club, charged at Mawile, and started swinging at the Deceiver Pokémon, getting one or two hits in, which seemed to affect Mawile greatly.

"Not bad, but we have our own little bite. Mawile, use Crunch!" Mawile, at Mina's request, then charged at Marowak, and, using it's massive jaw like horns, chomped down on the Bone Keeper Pokémon with great force, causing an explosion, that sent Marowak skidding back, "Now, use Disarming Voice," Mawile then let out a piercing cry, that homed in on Marowak, damaging it further.

"Hang strong Marowak, use Flame Wheel!" Will instructed. In a wheel of fire, Marowak then slammed into Mawile, knocking it out.

"Hmm, not bad composition," Mina commented, recalling Mawile, and readying her next Pokeball, "Now, let's see you deal with this one!" Mina said, sending out a large, purple, bulldog looking Pokémon, with large tusks.

"Granbull, the Fairy Pokémon, a Fairy Type, and the evolved form of Snubbull. Though it looks scary, it's actually a sweet hearted Pokémon, that is very timid. This contrast makes it especially popular among young people," Rotom explained.

"Granbull, use Scary Face," Mina instructed. Granbull then shot a menacing look at Marowak, which made the usually hardy Pokémon cower, as it glowed blue, "Now, use Thunder Fang!" Granbull then charged at Marowak, biting down with fangs covered in electricity. Marowak then fell unconscious.

"That Crunch attack from Mawile must've damaged Marowak a lot more than we thought. Granbull is tough," Lincoln commented, as Will recalled Marowak.

"You did great Marowak. Take a nice long rest," Will said, as he got out his second Pokeball, "Now, go Muk!" Will said, releasing the Sludge Pokémon.

"A Poison Type against my Fairy Type? Smart thinking," Mina commented.

"Thanks. Now, try this one for size, Now Muk, use Sludge Bomb!" Muk then fired off the sludge attack, which was able to get a direct hit on Granbull.

"You still good Granbull?" Mina asked. Granbull nodded back to it's trainer, "Ok, then use Fire Fang!" Granbull charged at Muk, with it's fangs covered in fire, as it bit down on Muk, causing an explosion. When the smoke cleared, Muk then burst into flames.

"Tsk, Fire Fang was able to burn Muk," Will commented.

"So, what does Burning mean for Pokémon?" Ronnie Anne asked.

"Well, for starters, not only does it deal damage over time, but it also reduces the physical attack power of the Pokémon that's inflicted with burn," Toby replied.

"But Muk isn't using Physical Attacks, it's working with Special Attacks, like another Sludge Bomb!" Will exclaimed. Muk fired another volley of sludge at Granbull. This time, it was able to score a knockout.

"Whoa.... strong," Mina said, as she recalled Granbull, before approaching Will, "You've cleared the first part of the trial. Each of you, take this," Mina said, giving the four trainers a Pink Petal, "That is one of seven petals you must acquire in order to pass my trial. Your next petal will be waiting for you at the cemetery on Melemele Island," Mina stated.

"Well, then I guess that's where we have to go next," Will commented, as the four of them left the boat house.

"Come on Serenity. You can come too," Fluttershy said. Her daughter was following after her mother, only to be stopped by Mina.

"I'm afraid not. For the final trial, the four of them must show they have grown during the Island Challenge using their own power. In other words, no spectators are permitted," Mina stated.

"What? The other Captains had no problems with Serenity or the Louds spectating," Silver Spoon voiced her complaint.

"Yes, because their trials were designed to have trial goers grow with strength of their friends. But the final trial must be completed with the trial goer's own power alone," Mina replied.

"Doesn't look like there's a way around it," Will commented.

"So, what? We just hang around here until you guys come back?" Lincoln asked.

"Seems that way. Hopefully it won't take too long," Toby replied, as they called for Air Ride Pokémon.

"Serenity, you can wait in the Pokémon Center if you want. We'll be back as soon as possible," Fluttershy said to her daughter, who nodded. Once they mounted their Ride Pokémon, the four trainers left to Melemele Island.


Outside of Hau'oli Cemetery, on Melemele Island,

The four trainers began their trek into the graveyard, where they ran into Hau, with his Primarina by his side, "Hey guys! Guess you're all taking Mina's trial too?" Hau asked.

"Yeah. Though, why she wanted us to come here is beyond me," Will replied.

"Probably because your opponent is going to be Ilima, and he's somewhere inside," Hau replied.

"Hmm, so we're battling trial captains for Mina's Trial," Toby replied.

"Yeah. Though I will tell you this.... Ilima is going to make you work for that petal. He gave me and my team a real challenge for that petal," Hau said. His Primarina then motioned to Hau, "Oh, right, I know. We got to move on to the next location. It's been great catching up with you guys, but we got to get going!" Hau said, as he and Primarina raced off.

"That boy is like an air particle," Will commented, as the ventured into the cemetery. It didn't take long for them to find Ilima, who was sitting on a bench.

"Greetings. Captain Ilima here. I see that you guys are taking Mina's trial?" he asked, greeting them.

"We are. I assume we have to battle you?" Will asked.

"Yes and no. Yes, a battle will be fought, but no, all of you needn't battle me. Just one will do," Ilima replied.

"Ok, that would make things go faster," Toby commented.

"Indeed. Now then, who will take me on?" Ilima asked.

"I went first for the trial, so one of you three should take it," Will suggested.

"How about you, Flora?" Silver Spoon asked.

"Well, I suppose I can go. But is it alright for us to battle here?" Fluttershy asked.

"Hmm, you raise a valid point. Why don't we take this to the Motel Parking lot? That seems more appropriate," Ilima suggested. With that, the five of them made the trek to the Motel.


At the Motel,

"Alright, for this battle, we'll use three Pokémon each. Once all three are of either side's Pokémon are unable to continue, then the battle will be over. Substitutions may be made freely at any time. Do those conditions sound reasonable?" Ilima asked.

"They do," Fluttershy simply replied, while Will, Silver Spoon and Toby were all off to the side.

"Ok then, for my first Pokémon, it will be this one. Go, Kangaskhan!" Ilima said, releasing a large, kangaroo like Pokémon.

"I think I saw that Pokémon back on your ranch, Will," Silver Spoon commented.

"Of course. I have plenty of Kangaskhan to look after newly hatched Pokémon," Will replied.

"Kangaskhan, the Parent Pokémon, a Normal Type. It is fiercely protective of it's child. If you see a baby Kangaskhan playing alone, do not attempt to catch it, for the parent will be nearby," Rotom explained.

"Ok, Steelix, I need your help!" Fluttershy said, sending out Steelix.

"My, quite a large Pokémon you have!" Ilima said, surprised at how big Steelix was.

"I caught this one before the Grand Trial against Hala, when it was just an Onix," Fluttershy replied.

"Well, in any case, you may have the first move," Ilima said.

"Thank you. Now, Steelix, use Stealth Rock!" at her command, Steelix fired a bunch of rock which were floating around Ilima's side of the field.

"Hmm, not bad. You're using Stealth Rock so that all Pokémon I send out after Kangaskhan will take damage. But you shouldn't underestimate Normal Types. Kangaskhan, use Fire Punch!" Kangaskhan's fist then became enveloped in flames, as it charged at Steelix.

"Quick, dodge it using Dig!" Fluttershy quickly instructed. Steelix then burrowed underground, dodging the Fire Punch.

"That's a good defense too, but ultimately fruitless! Kangaskhan, use Earthquake!" Ilima instructed. Stomping it's foot, Kangaskhan then sent out a massive tremor, which force Steelix out from underground, "Now, Dynamic Punch!" wasting no time, Kangaskhan threw a powerful punch, which seemed to explode, dealing more damage to Steelix, who then looked confused.

"That's a side effect of Dynamic Punch. It always confuses an opponent if it manages to make contact," Will commented.

"Steelix, return!" Fluttershy then recalled Steelix.

"Once returned to the Pokeball, a Pokémon's confusion wears off. Smart move. Now, what will be you second Pokémon?" Ilima asked.

"I think I'll go with this one. Go, Hawlucha!" Fluttershy said, releasing Hawlucha.

"Hawlucha, we haven't seen that one in quite a while," Toby commented.

"Ok Hawlucha, do a Flying Press!" Fluttershy instructed. Hawlucha leapt up into the air. Then, it crashed into Kangaskhan, looking like a high diving wrestler. Kangaskhan staggered, but was still standing, "Now, Karate Chop," Hawlucha then went on a more direct attack, delivering a powerful karate chop to Kangaskhan. The Parent Pokémon tried to keep standing, but it was no good, and Kangaskhan fell unconscious. Ilima then recalled his Pokémon.

"Well done Kangaskhan. You did great," Ilima praised, as he readied his next Pokeball, "Now, Snorlax, to my side!" Ilima said, sending out a massive, green Pokémon with a cream colored belly. It looked like it's eyes were shut.

"Whoa, that Pokémon is huge!" Silver Spoon commented.

"And heavy too. It's a Snorlax," Will replied.

"Snorlax, the Sleeping Pokémon, a Normal Type, and the evolved form of Munchlax. Snorlax' stomach is able to digest even the most corrosive of poisons. It's normal diet consists of 900 pounds of food, after which consuming, it falls asleep," Rotom explained.

"Sounds like a threat to the grocery bill," Toby commented.

"Not really. I found recipes on making it so that small Pokeblocks or Poffins can make it feel to Snorlax like it's eaten it's fill," Will replied, as the rocks from Stealth Rock slammed into Snorlax, causing a large explosion, "And Stealth Rock is still in effect," he added.

"Ok, Hawlucha, let's get in the first attack with a Karate Chop!" Fluttershy instructed. Hawlucha wasted no time, in delivering a powerful Karate Chop to Snorlax, who looked to tank the attack.

"Snorlax had high defense power. It's going to take more than that for Flora to take down Snorlax," Will commented.

"Ok, then how about Power Up Punch?" Fluttershy said, as Hawlucha delivered a powerful punch to Snorlax. While Hawlucha's Attack power increased, Snorlax didn't seem too bothered.

"Alright, now for our attack. Snorlax, use Heavy Slam!" Ilima instructed.

"Not good. Heavy Slam is a move that get's stronger the more the user outweighs the opponent," Will commented, as Snorlax slammed into Hawlucha, who skidded back. It was still standing, but it took a lot of damage.

"Not good. Hawlucha, use Roost!" Fluttershy instructed. Hawlucha then glowed green with feathers circling it, and all the wounds it got from Heavy Slam were instantly healed.

"Using a healing move, now? Then I guess we'll do the same. Snorlax, time to Rest," Ilima said. Snorlax then looked like it went to sleep, as it glowed green, and all it's wounds were healed.

"Roost and Rest are both healing moves that restores a Pokémon's energy levels. The only difference between them is that Rest requires a Pokémon to fall asleep," Will commented.

"If that's the case, the Flora has an opening," Silver Spoon commented.

"And I need to seize it now! Hawlucha, use Power Up Punch, back to back!" Fluttershy said. With that, Hawlucha began throwing punch after punch against Snorlax, gaining attack power each time, until Snorlax fell back.

"Not bad. Hawlucha's attack power was increased from the first Power Up Punch it threw. That's what led to Snorlax being easily toppled like it was," Ilima commented, recalling Snorlax, and readying his next Pokeball, "Now, Smeargle, to my side!" Ilima said, releasing his Smeargle As Smeargle materialized, Stealth Rock damaged it.

"Can you keep going, Hawlucha?" Fluttershy asked. Hawlucha nodded, "Ok, then use Flying Press, once again!" Hawlucha once again leapt into the air, and glided at Smeargle.

"Use Double Team," Ilima said. Afterimages of Smeargle then began appeared, as Hawlucha slammed into a fake on, "Now, use Ariel Ace," Smeargle then slammed into Hawlucha, sending the Wrestling Pokémon skidding, knocked out as a result.

"Thank you Hawlucha. You did great," Fluttershy said, recalling her Pokémon.

"Smeargle's signature move is called Sketch, which allows it to copy almost any move it sees," Will commented, as Fluttershy readied her next Pokeball.

"Ok, Steelix! I need you help, please!" she said, releasing her massive Iron Snake Pokémon, "Steelix, use Iron Head!" Fluttershy instructed. Steelix then charged headfirst at Smeargle, it's head taking on a metallic coating.

"Smeargle, use Counter!" Smeargle then took the attack, and then delivered a powerful blow to Steelix, knocking it out.

"Counter returned twice the damage Smeargle took," Toby commented, as Fluttershy recalled Steelix.

"Thank you Steelix. You did great. Now then, for my last Pokémon, go, Crabominable!" she said, releasing Crabominable.

"My, my, you went and got your Crabrawler to evolve, did you? Not a bad move," Ilima commented.

"Ok Crabrawler, let's first use Swords Dance, then into Power Up Punch!" Fluttershy said. Swords then appeared and circled Crabominable, raising it's attack power, just as Crabominable delivered a power punch to Smeargle, raising it's attack power even more. Smeargle was just barely hanging on.

"Smeargle, use Recover!" Ilima instructed. Smeargle then glowed green, as it's injuries healed themselves.

"Smeargle may be back to full health, but Crabominable has been raising it's attack power this whole round. One more attack may be all Flora needs to finish this battle," Silver Spoon commented.

"Ok, let's finish this now!" Fluttershy said, as she began to do the pose for the Fighting Type Z Move, "Constantly training helps raise our strength. Now, you can feel that strength for yourself! Now Crabominable, use All Out Pummeling!" she said, as Crabominable became enveloped in Z Power. Crabominable then fired off projectiles of Z Power, shaped like fists and feet at Smeargle, before delivering one final blow, which was able to knock out the Painter Pokémon.

"And with that, you win the match. Thank you for all your hard work Smeargle," Ilima said, recalling his Pokémon, as Fluttershy praised Crabominable.

"You were great Crabominable!" Fluttershy said, as Ilima approached her.

"With this victory, you and your friends all have earned these Orange Petals," Ilima said, giving the four of them an Orange Petal each.

"That makes two," Toby commented.

"As for your next match, you'll be heading to Mount Akala to face Kiawe. Shall I escort you there?" Ilima offered.

"Thanks Ilima. We would very much appreciate it," Will replied, as the five of them all called an Air Ride Pokémon, and took off for Akala Island.

Author's Note:

Team so far:
Will: Decidueye (M), Alolan Muk (F), Alolan Marowak (M), Hariyama (M), Aggron (M), Zebstrika (M)





Fluttershy: Primarina (F), Crabominable (M), Steelix (M), Tyranitar (M), Probopass (M), Hawlucha (M)





Toby: Ninetails (F), Lycanroc (Midnight Form)(F), Turtonator (M), Drapion* (M), Metagross* (N/A), Mawile (F),






Serenity: Lopunny (F), Vikavolt (M) Sylveon* (M), Budew (F), Seedot (F),Mareep*(M)






Silver Spoon: Azumarill (F), Lycanroc (Midday Form)(M), Magnezone (N/A), Goodra* (F), Haunter (M), Glaceon (F),




Lincoln: Toxapex* (M)






Lori: Skarmory (F)





Luna: Houndour (F)





Lynn: Gyarados (M)





Lucy: Sandile (F)





Lana: Minccinno (F)




Lisa: Elgyem (M)





In Storage or in Training:
Will: Ash Hat Pikachu(M)(Kanto and Kalos), Clauncher (M), Skrelp (M), Krabby (F), Growlithe (M), Slugma (M) Numel, (M) Litleo (M), Buizel (F), Shroomish (M), Tangela (F), Budew (M), Ferroseed (M), Magmar (F), Electrike (F), Tynamo (F), Helioptile (M), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (M), Corphish (M), Seedot (M), Goodra (M), Trevenant*(M), Pumpkaboo (Large Size)(M), Yamask (F), Litwik (F), Duskull (F), Shuppet (M), Mimikyu (M), Haunter (M),
Jangmo-o (M), Gible (F), Axew (M), Timburr (M), Tyrogue (M), Pancham (M), Meinfoo (F), Croagunk (M), Riolu (M), Dragonair (M), Barbaracle (M), Poipole (N/A)



Fluttershy: Ash Hat Pikachu (M)(Unova), Buizel (M), Clauncher (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (F), Krabby (M), Croconaw (M), Slugma (M), Growlithe (F), Magby (M), Numel (F), Litleo (F), Combusken (M), Vaporeon (M), Eevee (F), Seedot (F), Shroomish (M), Tangela (M), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M) Grotle (M), Bayleef (F), Goodra (F) Smeargle (M), Electrike (M), Blitzle (M), Tynamo (F), Helioptile (F), Aron (F), Pawniard* (F) Zoroark*(F), Alolan Geodude (M), Toucannon (F), Phanpy (F), Lycanroc (Dusk Form)(M), Mimikyu (M), Pumpkaboo (Super Size)(F), Yamask (M), Litwik (M), Duskull (F), Shuppet (F), Haunter* (M), Jangmo-o (M), Gible (F), Dragonair (M), Axew (M), Riolu (M), Timburr (M), Tyrogue (M), Pancham (M), Croagunk (F), Meinfoo (F), Swanna (F), Poipole (N/A), Bronzong (N/A)




Toby: Ash Hat Pikachu (M) (Sinnoh), Buizel (M), Clauncher (F), Corphish (M), Slugma (F), Magby (M), Numel (M), Alakazam (M), Seedot (M), Tangela (F), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M), Grovyle (M), Scizor (M), Gothorita (F), Duosion (M) Goodra (F), Tsareena* (F), Alolan Vulpix (Snowball)(F), Delphox (F), Incineroar (M), Empoleon (M), Espeon (F), Luxio (M), Electrike (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo (M), Helioptile (M), Aron (M), Bronzor (N/A), Typhlosion (F), Skrelp (M), Growlithe (M) Pawniard (F), Flareon (F), Gardevoir* (F), Charizard (M) Haunter (M), Pumpkaboo (Super Size)(F), Litwik (M), Duskull (M), Shuppet (M), Mimikyu (M), Yamask (F), Riolu* (M), Jangmo-o (M), Axew (M), Timburr (M), Pancham (F), Croagunk (M), Meinfoo (F), Gible (M), Tyrogue (M), Dragonair* (F), Noivern (M), Alolan Raichu (F)Poipole (N/A)





Serenity: Spinda (M), Goodra (F) Clauncher (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (M), Krabby (F), Marshtomp (M), Growlithe (M), Slugma (F), Magby (F), Numel (F), Litleo (F), Pignite (M), (M), Detective Pikachu (M), , Shroomish (F), Tangela (M), Ferroseed*(F) Ivysaur (M), Leafeon (F), Dewott (F), Minun (F), Electrike (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo(M), Helioptile (F), Aron (M), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (M)Pikachu (Chubbykins) (M), Buizel (F), Togedemaru (M), Emolga (F), Pachirisu* (F) Misdreavus (F), Pumpkaboo (Tiny Size)(M), Yamask (M), Litwick (M), Duskull (F), Shuppet (M), Haunter (F), Mimikyu* (M), Jangmo-o (M), Gible (F), Dragonair (M), Axew (M), Riolu (M), Timburr (M), Tyrogue (M), Pancham (M), Croagunk (F), Meinfoo (F), Poipole (N/A)






Silver Spoon: Buizel (M), Skrelp (F), Corphish (F), Krabby (M), Plusle (F), Slugma (F), Litleo (M), Ash Hat Pikachu (M)(Hoenn), Growlithe (F), Seedot (M), Tangela (M), Budew (F), Ferroseed (M), Servine (F), Clauncher (F), Gallade (M), Blastoise (F), Electrike* (M), Blitzle (F), Tynamo (M), , Aron (F), Bronzor (N/A), Pawniard (F), Jolteon (F), Infernape (F), Shroomish (F), Helioptile (F), Numel (F), Magby (M), Elekid (M) Butterfree* (M), Shuppet (F), Duskull (M), Litwik (M), Yamask (F), Pumpkaboo (Super Size)(F), Mimikyu (M), Jangmo-o (M), Gible (F), Dragonair (M), Axew (M), Riolu (M), Timburr (M), Tyrogue (M), Pancham* (M), Croagunk (F), Meinfoo (M), Hippowdon (F), Poipole (N/A)

Totem Stickers So far: 97/100

PreviousChapters Next