• Published 24th Jul 2017
  • 1,704 Views, 44 Comments

Journey through Alola - darkmage1997



Will, Fluttershy, Toby, Serenity, and Silver Spoon travel through the Alola region

  • ...
18
 44
 1,704

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: Melemele Island Grand Trial (Part 1)

Crawling out of the cave, Toby, Silver Spoon, and Rotom all made their way through the meadow, and made their way back over to where their friends were waiting, "Hey guys, sorry for the wait," Silver Spoon said, as Toby handed Lillie Nebby.

"Oh Nebby, you're so troublesome, you know that, right?" Lillie asked, as she put Nebby in the bag.

"Hang on, why not put 'Nebby' in a Pokeball?" Luna asked.

"Oh, well, Nebby isn't actually my Pokémon. I'm just taking care of it," Lillie replied.

"Well, we'd better get going. The professor's probably worried sick about you," Will said, as they left Melemele Meadow.


Outside Melemele Meadow,

Our heroes, after reuniting Lillie with Nebby, exited the Meadow, and soon found themselves face to face with Professor Kukui, "Ah, good, you found Lillie! Thanks a mill!" Kukui thanked.

"Where's Hau?" Lillie asked. She had a point. They hadn't seen Hau since the Verdant Cavern Trial.

"By now, he's probably finishing his battle against Hala," Kukui theorized.

"Beg pardon?" Lillie asked.

"It's part of the island challenge. Upon completing the all of one island's trials, you have to battle the kahuna of that island. The battle against a kahuna is known as the Grand Trial. You guys should catch that Tailwind, and make a U Turn back to Iki Town," Kukui explained, as he took his leave, heading in the direction of Iki Town, in the company of Lillie..

"Iki Town is where we first met, right?" Lincoln asked Toby.

"Yeah, that's right. It was during the festival for Tapu Koko," Toby replied, as they walked back to Iki Town.

"I keep hearing about that name. Who or what is Tapu Koko exactly?" Lori asked.

"Tapu Koko, the Land Spirit Pokémon, an Electric and Fairy Type, and one of the four guardians of the Alola Region. Tapu Koko loves battling above all else. It uses it's speed to confuse it's opponents," Rotom said, displaying a picture of Tapu Koko.

"We only saw it once ourselves. And that was when we first met Lillie and Nebby," Will commented, as they continued to walk.


After about 15 minutes of walking, our heroes finally arrived back in Iki Town, where they saw Kukui and Lillie, waiting for them, "One thing to know about the Grand Trial is that it's completely different than battling your average run of the mill trainer. They're masters of Z Moves, and they won't hold back all that much during the battle. Another thing, Hala trains Fighting Type Pokémon, so you'll needs to focus on Flying and Psychic Type Moves. That being said, he has enough Pokémon to battle up to three trainers a day. He's already gone up against Hau and that Busujima kid. Which of you will go first?" Kukui asked.

"I think I'd better test the waters, and go first, if that's all right with you guys," Will asked.

"Yeah, I don't think I'm mentally prepared to battle Hala," Fluttershy commented.

"Same here," Toby piped in.

"Ditto," Silver Spoon chimed.

"Alright. If you're ready Will, then Hala is waiting for you, up there," Kukui said, pointing in the direction of the stage they used at the festival for the battles. With a deep breath, Will walked in that direction. Walking up the stairs, he saw Hala, doing some kind of exercise with a large, burly Pokémon, with huge, three fingered hands.

"Alright Hariyama, that'll be it for now," Hala said, as he took notice of the group, "So, you've cleared Illima's trial, have you?" Hala asked.

"Yes. And now I'd like to formally challenge you to a Grand Trial," Will requested.

"Very well. Please, take your place," Hala urged, as he took his place on one side of the stage. Will did the same on the opposite side, "HO! Allow me to formally introduce myself. I am the Kahuna of Melemele Island, and Alola Sumo master, Hala. If you're ready, let us begin," Hala said, sending out a Mankey.

"Ok, here's my Pokémon, go Grimer!" Will said, sending out Grimer.

"Allow me to first explain the rules for this battle. We'll each use two Pokémon. When both of either sides Pokémon can not continue, the Grand Trial is over. As my challenger, you may have the first move," Hala said.

"Alright then. Grimer, use Sludge Attack!" Will instructed. Grimer then hurled Sludge at Mankey, who barely seemed fazed by it, "Now use Pound!" Will instructed.

"Mankey, when Grimer get's in close, use Fury Swipes!" Hala instructed. Grimer was about to Pound Mankey, but the Pig Monkey Pokémon dodged, and started scratching repeatedly.

"Hang strong Grimer! Use Poison Gas!" Will instructed. Grimer then belched Poison Gas in Mankey's face, poisoning it, "Now, use Pound!" Will instructed. Grimer then managed to Pound Mankey, knocking it out.

"Mankey, return!" Hala said, recalling Mankey, "You did well old friend. Take a well earned rest," Hala said, turning to his Hariyama, "Alright Hariyama, it is time!" Hala said, as Hariyama stepped on stage.

"That Pokémon's huge!" Lana commented.

"Hariyama, the Arm Thrust Pokémon, a Fighting Type, and Makuhita's evolved form. It's Arm Thrust's are powerful enough to send a truck flying with one slap. The blubber that is visible is actually a thick layer of muscle, which, when it hunkers down, can become as hard as rock," Rotom said.

"Hariyama sounds tough," Leni commented.

"Once again, the first move is yours to make," Hala urged.

"Ok, Grimer, use Sludge!" Will instructed. Grimer then flung Sludge at Hariyama, which poisoned it, "Oh no," Will said.

"Hang on, why does Will look worried?" Lincoln asked.

"Hariyama's special ability: Guts. When suffering an ailment, like Poison or Paralysis, it's attack power is doubled," Rotom clarified.

"Hariyama, use Fire Punch!" Hala instructed. Hariyama's fist became cloaked in flames, as it punch Grimer, sending it into the wall, knocked out.

"Whoa, just one hit?!" Luna exclaimed.

"That Hariyama is tough alright," Toby commented, as Will recalled Grimer.

"Thanks for your hard work Grimer," Will said, readying his next Pokeball, "Go Dartrix!" Will said, sending out Dartrix.

"Ah, so the Rowlet you received from Kukui has evolved. Very nice," Hala commented.

"Thanks. And it got a lot stronger too. Dartrix, use Razor Leaf!" Will instructed. Dartrix flapped it's wings, sending the leaves at Hariyama, damaging it a little.

"Hariyama, hold your ground, and block the attack!" Hala instructed. Hariyama then put up both hands, blocking the oncoming attack.

"Alright, use Peck Attack!" Will instructed. Dartrix dived right at Hariyama, beak first.

"Use Fake Out!" Hala instructed. Hariyama slapped Dartrix between it's hands, making Dartrix flinch, "Now, use Knock Off!" he added. Hariyama then slammed Dartrix on the ground.

"Fake Out stops a move cold by making the Pokémon it's used against flinch. Combine that with Knock Off, and that's a recipe for trouble," Kukui commented.

"You're good William, but let's see how you deal with this. Hariyama, use Focus Energy!" Hala instructed. Hariyama then began glowing.

"Hold up, what's 'Focus Energy'?" Luan asked.

"It's a move that increases a Pokémon's Critical Hit ratio. If I know Hala, I know what's coming next," Kukui replied, a grim tone in his voice.

"Here we go Hariyama!" Hala said, crossing his arms, the Z Crystal in his Z Power Ring now glowing.

"A Z Move already?!" Will exclaimed.

"YES! I am the Kahuna!" Hala said, as he started punching repeatedly, then throwing one last, powerful punch. Z Power then began flowing throughout Hariyama, "This is our full power! All Out Pummeling!" Hala said, as Hariyama then began firing fist shaped projectiles made of the Z Power at Dartrix.

"Quick, try and dodge that Z Move!" Will called out. Dartrix began flying, and did well in evading most of the oncoming projectiles, but was eventually hit by some. Dartrix hit the ground, but still refused to give up, "You got spunk Dartrix. That's always a good sign," Will commented. Dartrix cried out, as green light then erupted from it.

"What is that?!" Lisa exclaimed.

"I've read about this! The ability for all Grass Type Starter Pokémon, like Dartrix, is Overgrow. When almost all of it's strength is gone, all of their Grass Type moves become supercharged," Lillie commented.

"Dartrix, it's all or nothing with this next move, so let's make it count! Use Razor Leaf!" Will instructed. Dartrix then fired more leaves at Hariyama, only they were much more powerful. It seemed to deal a ton of damage to Hariyama, "Now it's our turn!" Will said, as he did the pose for Normal Type Z Moves, surrounding Dartrix with Z Power, "Now Dartrix, unleash your full power! Breakneck Blitz!" Will exclaimed. Dartrix then began charging full force at Hariyama, sending the Arm Thrust Pokémon flying upon impact.

"And that's that. You did well my old friend. Now take a long rest," Hala said, recalling Hariyama. He then turned to Will who gave a Pokebean to an exhausted Dartrix, "That was exceptional battling, William. You certainly know you stuff," Hala complimented.

"Thanks Hala," Will said.

"As proof of your victory over me in the Melemele Grand Trial, take this," Hala said, handing Will a brown Z Crystal with a Fist symbol in the middle, "That is Fightinium Z, and you saw the pose I did to unleash it's power, right?" Hala said, demonstrating the pose again.

"Yes Hala, thank you," Will said. Hala then turned to Fluttershy, Toby, and Silver Spoon.

"As for you three, I take it you're going to wait until the day after tomorrow to take your Grand Trial?" he asked.

"Yes Kahuna Hala," Fluttershy replied.

"Hmm. If you want to do some more training, then I would recommend going to Ten Carat Hill, at the southern most point of the island. There are plenty of Pokémon there that should prove vital in training. There's even a secret treasure hidden within," Hala explained.

"We'll do that, sir," Toby said.

"I've locked Ten Carat Hill's coordinates in my map. We should be able to get their by this evening," Rotom said.

"Alright. Then let's get going," Will said.

"We'll catch up with you guys later," Kukui said, as he and Lillie took their leave.

"I hope there are some cool Pokémon there!" Lana exclaimed.

"Rotom, what Pokémon can we find there?" Silver Spoon asked.

"Searching: Ten Carat Hill is home to many rough terrain Pokémon, including Rockruff, Mawile, Machop, and a few others. Hmm?" Rotom said in intrigue.

"What's up?" Will asked.

"I'm detecting a rare Pokémon, not native to Alola somewhere in Ten Carat Hill," Rotom said.

"What kind?" Leni asked.

Unfortunately, I am unable to process this information," Rotom said.

"Well, I'm sure we'll find it when we get there," Will commented, as they made their way towards Ten Carat Hill.

Author's Note:

Team So far:
Will: Dartrix (M), Alolan Grimer (F), Makuhita (M)

Fluttershy: Brionne (F), Trumbeak (F), Zorua* (F), Smeargle (M), Crabrawler (M)

Toby: Braixen (F), Vulpix (F), Pikachu (F), Noibat (M), Litten (M), Steenee* (F)

Serenity: Buneary (F), Grubbin (M), Misdreavus (F)

Silver Spoon: Marill (F), Butterfree*(M), Magnemite (N/A)

Totem Stickers So far: 17/100

PreviousChapters Next