• Published 24th Nov 2018
  • 2,667 Views, 676 Comments

Along New Tides - Merchant Mariner



After the Event, a group of mariners make their way through a deserted world.

  • ...
15
 676
 2,667
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 18 )

Hell, yeah, I'm looking forward to tome Two, and the 4-F tales as well! That ought to be something!
Hey, waitaminnit... I'M supposed to be writing 4-F! I better get to work! Stay tuned to my page for chapter One, which should not be too long. I hope... frickin covid...

wow this chapter is totally amazing and talk about a huge hint for ANT2 this is going to be amazing.

10684123
Mind telling me the name of the story?

10684408
I don't mind at all. Problem is...I haven't come up with one yet!

10684510
What about "F-inal Destination", playing off of the F thing

The Designs Complete.

And so, we finally arrive at the end of the book, but not the story, for the story must continue, in any or many ways.

Will Italy become the Dragonlands of Europe, manipulating the volcanos to make the surrounding farmlands safe for top quality food production?

Will the mice drill down to basement rock, following the water tap, to start hydrothermal mineral mining and higher power capabilities? Will they start micromanufacture of nanogems of mechanical and/or magical nature?

Will Carnac fall into mothball status for decades or just years while Starswirls suggests local maintenance keeps a slower repair and upgrade rate on it for maybe portaling to Girls realm at least, or even using both as anchor points for tracking the local realm cluster, to keep ahead of the Four Horses etc?

Will any of the navy drag up the 1940s Thorium reactor design Oak Ridge did before they found out it used up nuclear waste, such as plutonium and so was scrapped because there was no warhead material left? If they did, would Oakavango? become a ready source of decadal ship power?

Is BabaYaga just exploring, marking out her territory, or checking on the local salesmen so she knows where to curse first and easiest?

So much fun, and they havent even started seeing the results of the breeding and hybrid charts yet.

Next up, What do you mean, you crossed a Breezie with a Dragon, Fly.:pinkiegasp:

10684868

Will Italy become the Dragonlands of Europe, manipulating the volcanos to make the surrounding farmlands safe for top quality food production?

Well that would be hard given that by design, most dragons either come from Eastern Europe, plus some more in Celtic Nations. Not saying it ain't possible, but I'd be more curious about the troves of artifact vaults in long lost Roman and Etruscan sites... and those under the Vatican, of course. By design modern monotheistic religions don't have any divine power, but that doesn't mean they didn't 'appropriate' ancient archives from other civilizations.

Will the mice drill down to basement rock, following the water tap, to start hydrothermal mineral mining and higher power capabilities? Will they start micromanufacture of nanogems of mechanical and/or magical nature?

Give them time, they're not even fully uplifted yet. Plus they still have some rather irate HPI agents looking for their two deserters. And these two got a fair few things coming their way before their situation can even start to stabilize.

Will Carnac fall into mothball status for decades or just years while Starswirls suggests local maintenance keeps a slower repair and upgrade rate on it for maybe portaling to Girls realm at least, or even using both as anchor points for tracking the local realm cluster, to keep ahead of the Four Horses etc?

Common sense would usually have you not forget about the giant magical particle accelerator lying a teleportation away from your backyard. Probs the kind of sites you'd at least want to put a few wards around, you know, just to make sure the first passing unicorn doesn't blow half of Brittany to smithereens.

Is BabaYaga just exploring, marking out her territory, or checking on the local salesmen so she knows where to curse first and easiest?

One thing's for certain: she will be back, and Ol' Baba ain't the kind of Crone you wanna cross.

Well then, Ich await the adventures to come.

Wow! This is a huge story and I only came across it just now?!

I'm gonna tuck into this after I catch up on a couple others; I think I'll like it because size does matter.

As an experienced mariner, what are your thoughts about the Ever Given, a Golden-class container ship, which ran aground in the Suez Canal on March 23, 2021? I am amazed that a Golden-class container ship could be pushed off course sideways by a sandstorm. I would think that Suez Canal operating rules would stop all ship traffic if winds get that strong.

10743925
Well I have yet to find a detailed case study of the incident, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt given I don't know much more about the specificities than hearsay.

Saying that, we're talking about a very large ship (as in: on the radar they're big enough to look like moving landmasses) moving in constrained waters with little room for error. Wind was a factor, obviously. Container carriers of that size have huge freeboard, and with crosswind the entire flank of ~400*25m acts like a huge sail pushing the ship sideways or veering it off course. It *is* always accounted for, but wind isn't necessarily constant and even a small gust can have a huge effect and induce a turn if not immediately noticed and countered.

More than just that, the ship is moving along a canal. Suction effect is a thing that can happen with the bottom, causing what is called 'squat' at speeds dragging the ship lower (which can hit the seabed in some incidents) in the water. Suction can also happen on the sides, which is more usually a problem when approaching or leaving quay with the bow or aft of the ship starting to 'stick' to a quay.

Combine both. Gust of wind surprises crew, tugs the ship to the side, starts a suction effect. Plus the whole fact it's extremely hard to halt a vessel like that in an emergency...

What I'm curious is how liability will be managed regarding the incident. Usually under pilotage the Master remains liable for incident occuring on his vessel, but Suez, like Panama, is a special-ish case where crossings occur in convoy, command is often completely relinquished to locals, and... it falls under certain specificities. To which extent Suez' Pilots will be found liable, and to which Evergreen will be... that I genuinely want to know.

I wish that I had the range of species available to me that you have been able to use, but I wrote "Safe Landings" before the MLP movie came out, not to mention the later episodes with other species such as the reindeer. I certainly like the way you have been assigning the various species to appropriate environments.

When I wrote "Safe Landings", some people suggested that I should do the same for ships as I had for aircraft. Your story proves why I was wise to avoid the temptation. Your knowledge exceeds mine a thousand-fold. I'm just sorry that I hadn't known about this story until recently as I would have made comments as the tale progressed.

10960830

I wish that I had the range of species available to me that you have been able to use, but I wrote "Safe Landings" before the MLP movie came out, not to mention the later episodes with other species such as the reindeer. I certainly like the way you have been assigning the various species to appropriate environments.

When I wrote "Safe Landings", some people suggested that I should do the same for ships as I had for aircraft. Your story proves why I was wise to avoid the temptation. Your knowledge exceeds mine a thousand-fold. I'm just sorry that I hadn't known about this story until recently as I would have made comments as the tale progressed.

That's kind of the thing I like with verses like MLP and many other modern fandoms. They keep expanding and adding new elements to lore, which in turn means newer fanworks aren't just rehashing the same stuff, but adding new gears and belts to the machinery.

I mean... Take Ponies After People. Starscribe started it on a basic premise, and every other author that took it up after that added to the complexity and expanded it with new bits. Because fanworks and official episodes added to the lore.

For some it's too complicated to follow or hard to get into. Personally, I like verses that take a while to chew through.


Either way, thank you for taking the time to read my story. It's always a pleasure to read comments, and feedback from authors with more ink under their pen than little me is always welcome.

10963278
By the way...

Twilight added after the old unicorn finished recanting about the situation on Earth.

I think you mean recounting. Recanting means something entirely different.

The Knight, the Crone and the Lover,
The Sands of Port Said,
Heroes of Mice and Magic,
Doom and Gloom under Cursed Boughs

So the Knight is probably Rodrigo. Crone definitely Baba Yaga. Lover, maybe Alkeski. Heroes of Mice and Magic is most likely the Two Scientist. Doom and Gloom are probably the demons.
Sands of Port, maybe the WSU?

11085809
No need to mysteriously interpret what the 'Sands of Port Said' is about. It's an actual city, merely looking at where it is on the map ought to tell you what it's all about.

Thanks for the fav by the way, always happy to see folks enjoy my story.

11086515
Wait really. Now I feel dumb lol

Ood, what a ride. Thoroughly enjoyed this story : )

Login or register to comment