• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,942 Views, 509 Comments

Not another One-Shot-Ober - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of mostly comedic vignettes about ponies in their native Equestria.

  • ...
12
 509
 2,942

Bonus: It's Only a Flesh Wound

This is a spiritual sequel to AShadowOfCygnus' Twilight Sparkle Gets Stabbed in the Back. I highly recommend you read that first, because this will make more sense if you do. If you don't, I guess the title gives away the main plot point, at least.

It's Only a Flesh Wound
Admiral Biscuit

“Discord!”

His blood turned to ice. He knew that voice—hated that voice, incidentally—and he also knew that the owner of that voice ought to be dead.

A cold feeling of dread gripped him. He dared not turn . . . but he dared not not turn.

A moment's reflection caused him to realize that he was completely fucked no matter what he did, so he might as well see it coming. He turned to face four foot nothing of pissed purple pony.

“Twilight Sparkle! What an . . . unexpected surprise. I thought you were—“

“Dead?”

He tilted his head in a minute nod.

“I'm afraid not.”

“But . . . the knife.”

There was a bright flash of teleportation magic, and the knife appeared between them, its blade coated with the rust-red stains of Twilight's blood. “When I regained consciousness, it was there beside me.” She set it on the ground between them. “I'd advise against touching it. Probably has a pretty powerful curse on it now.”

“When you woke?” Discord furrowed his brow, then snapped his fingers. “Celestia found you, didn't she? I knew she would. I was looking for her, but she wasn’t in her throne room. It must have been frightening, knowing that you were seriously injured; you were probably hallucinating from blood loss. . . .”

“I was not. I know what I heard.” Her eyes blazed. “So don't pretend it didn't happen. Have a little respect. You're the avatar of chaos, not of lies. That was Sombra, and he's dead.” Twilight took a step towards Discord. “Nopony came. You could have gotten help, but you didn't. I lay there on the floor and bled out, and then I died.

“Dying sucks. You don't even know how it feels.”

“Please. I've been turned to stone by the Elements of Harmony.”

“And I've been turned to stone by a cockatrice, so I am familiar with the process, thank you very much.

“The first time I died was when I attempted to cast Starswirl's unfinished spell.” Twilight closed her eyes at the memory. “Now I know why it was unfinished—it killed him before he could write down the final section. I suspected as much . . . but I didn't believe.

“That was mercifully quick. One moment I was there, and the next moment I was gone. Not this time . . . this time I got to experience my body failing, got to feel my power leak out with my blood, until there was nothing left.

“And then I came back, for my purpose has not been served. Not yet.”

“Your purpose?”

“Friendship.” Twilight glared at Discord. “Have you ever wondered why ponies rule, and not, say, dragons? Or dragonequuses? Because nowhere in your shriveled little heart does it occur to you to ever do anything selfless. Did I know I might get stabbed in the back? Yes, I did. Did I try to make friends anyway? Yes, I did, and I'll have you know that before I came over here, I forgave my would-be assassin.”

Discord breathed a sigh of relief. “So do you forgive me, as well? I feel that I have just learned a valuable friendship lesson.”

Twilight shook her head. “You have not yet. But I forgive you just the same.” She examined her hoof, then looked back up at Discord. “You can only hope that Fluttershy feels the same. That she is willing to forgive someone who she thought was our friend that gloated while watching me die.” Twilight picked up the knife in her aura and idly flipped it around in the air. “When Fluttershy's mad, she's scary.”

Author's Note:

I'm honestly not sure that this is the right ending to the story. Perhaps there isn't a right ending.

Comments ( 69 )

No snuggles for a month!

Unless I missed it still no mention of who stabbed her in the first place.

Unless the scary Fluttershy bit is from personal experience, maybe Twilight accidentally kicked a puppy or something.

6659927
I totally wouldn't mess with Fluttershy. When she's pissed, she's scary.

6660928

Unless I missed it still no mention of who stabbed her in the first place.

My money's on the unity unicorn, but Shadow never said, so I don't know.

6660603
She probably won't speak to him for at least that long.

6661235 not to mention he's going to need an impressive apology bouquet to even start working to get back on speaking terms! :fluttercry:

6660928
6661235

It's deliberately left open to interpretation.

Also, hilariously, this got the original story half again as many favs as it did the first time around.

Poor, poor Discord... He's going to PAY.

6680684
Really, anything with a SoL tag is good, if that's what you enjoy.

Probably the most-loved by my readers are the Golden Harvest/Noi stories, and Sam and Rose is good as well. For really obscure BG ponies, go with the Silver Spanner stories, or Sea Swirl.

One of these days, I'm going to come up with a table of contents blog post.

One of these days.


Anyway, until then:

Golden Harvest/Noi
Playing in the Park
36: So It Begins
(related--A Foal's First Words, A Berry Merry Hearth's Warming)

Sam and Rose
Sam and Rose library
November

Silver Spanner
Silver Spanner gets her Cutie Mark
Silver Spanner, Journeymare

Sea Swirl
Sea Swirl's Dive
The Trek to Ice Cream Rock

Apple Honey's Perfectly Ordinary Day is another good SoL with an obscure BG pony.

Finally--if you don't mind all OCs, Interview with a Cab Driver is a good read . . . however, if you like audio readings at all, I'd strongly recommend that instead. AShadowOfCygnus' reading is magnificent. He nailed Golden Agate's voice.

6680776
Thank you ;)

if you like audio readings at all,

I do. In fact I just listened to the piece of pure art that is Maud & Kirk.
My life is now closer to completeness.

6680836

Thank you ;)

You are quite welcome!

I do. In fact I just listened to the piece of pure art that is Maud & Kirk.

If you liked that, you need to watch this:

6680847 ...:rainbowhuh: ...:rainbowlaugh:
Positively Pythonesque. 'Tis a good note to end the night on, so thank thee very much. Too bad I don't smoke anymore, this would have been... well, incredible is not a strong enough word really... while stoned.

6680954
Now I almost want to get stoned to watch this. That would be freaking epic.

6680976 That it would :pinkiecrazy:
And now my night has shortened to about five hours because of you! Argh. Expect more comments shortly, good night.

6680847

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse by now (hurr durr, horse puns), but it's still nice to see this making the rounds. :scootangel:

6703865
Well, it's just one of the craziest, most-awesome things ever.

6758436 It's Pinkie... Expect the unexpectoratable.
She could have an accidental cabinet meeting at a kitchen refinishing shop, and end up with a dovetail.

Okay, I'm done here.
...For now.

6758498

Okay, I'm done here.
...For now.

Don't stop!

6758508
Okay, but they only get lamer...

Pinkie had an idea. The Diamond Dogs had their own kinds of magic, she'd heard, and they were a lot like rock farmers if you tilted your head to one side and squinted at the idea just SO. What would they do for somedog who had lost her tail?
"Me know powerful things, pony, and am with loving kindness for your cupcakes. It right to help pink pony." The strange old dog had brought joy to her heart with those words...
But her hopes, looking back at herself in the end, had been curtailed.

Still, it wagged nicely. "Woof!' she tried the word, not sure whether she really liked it.

6806056
That's exactly why I like her. :twilightblush:

D48

6859828 While psychology can never be neglected, this is one area (of many) where the physical difference between our horses and the ponies in the show is in strong effect. Horses have relatively small heads with similarly small brains which use relatively little energy so they don't need all that much blood to go through their enormous necks. Ponies on the other hand have huge heads and brains with very high energy needs (for reference, the human brain uses as much energy as the rest of the body combined at a jog), so there will be a lot of blood flowing through their relatively small necks. Furthermore, the size difference very much works in favor of horses because larger creatures generally have more mass per unit of surface area and more deeply buried organs so they will retain heat better, especially in vital areas.

"And then I came back, for my purpose has not been served. Not yet.” (Probably pointless to spoiler things when I'll be discussing them openly, but I guess I can at least spoiler the direct quote... Bleh, dunno what the right spoiler-etiquette would be)
Anyway, one might say she had... Determination!
Because, seriously, that is what it sounds like.
The dialogue is almost paraphrased from what Flower says about their own experiences with Determination! and bringing themselves back.

I guess she's going for a Pacifist run then.
Makes you wonder... Is this her first time through, or did she do a Neutral (though likely still heavily Merciful) run first?
But that does spell good things for this time-line, at least; With the power of Determination! she should be able to befriend anyone, given enough tries.

7074881

The dialogue is almost paraphrased from what Flower says about their own experiences with Determination! and bringing themselves back.

What's that from? I'm not familiar with the reference.

I guess she's going for a Pacifist run then.
Makes you wonder... Is this her first time through, or did she do a Neutral (though likely still heavily Merciful) run first?

It's a lot easier for a Pacifist run when your enemies can't kill you :derpytongue2:

I'm not sure what I was thinking for this entry. Probably kind of a mix of Gandalf in LoTR and Eric Dreben in The Crow (although with less murder). I just felt like Cygnus' story needed a bit of resolution, and thought that this was one possibility.

7114191
It's from Undertale.
And I misspelled the spoilered part, apparently (bleh >.<) but now it should be clear.
Mostly, it just seems to be how they explain save-points, and using them to return to life after dying, except that Twilight actually gets revived in the future instead of the past.
Even with the spoiler-markings, I'm probably spoiling undertale secrets, but mreh, at this point Undertale spoilers are everywhere online - enough so that my intended third playthrough was kind of ruined, so I'll probably stick to my current two.

7638037 If I could remember the name I would have put it in my first comment. Sorry. :unsuresweetie:

7638093
That's alright. Maybe one of these days I'll start googling and see what I can find. :pinkiehappy:

No, this is absolutely not right(imo). Not after how thorough the author was in the original. But at least it may cheer someone up.

Well. Reading this collection has certainly been an experience. This is an especially nice capstone. Thank you for a wide variety of different little stories.

7794038

No, this is absolutely not right(imo). Not after how thorough the author was in the original. But at least it may cheer someone up.

I did talk it over with Cygnus before I posted it, and he also pre-read it. I'm not sure that it needed a follow-up, either, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I read it.

7794594

Well. Reading this collection has certainly been an experience. This is an especially nice capstone. Thank you for a wide variety of different little stories.

:heart:
I had a lot of fun experimenting with styles in a couple of them, and it gave me a chance to use some little ideas that had been bouncing around in my head.

7998493
All of pony races seems to have a very high regeneration. Broken wing? Few days. Piano on head? Few days.
Only ones that are dead seems to be from old age, not from wounds of any kind, as far as we know. And yes, I know that is supposed to be 6 year girl show... at the start. ;)
One start to think that maybe all of them are immortal? Well, exept Sombra, but even he cheated death...

On other hoof: did you merge your stories? Because I'm almost sure that one story (Under Sink) was One-chapter one shot, and now, well, it's like combo of one-shots? Or just I'm going crazy? O.o

7998801

All of pony races seems to have a very high regeneration. Broken wing? Few days. Piano on head? Few days.

Yeah, they do. Cartoon physics and all that, and maybe magic healing + natural magic and maybe they really are made out of marshmallow.

On other hoof: did you merge your stories? Because I'm almost sure that one story (Under Sink) was One-chapter one shot, and now, well, it's like combo of one-shots? Or just I'm going crazy? O.o

You might be getting it mixed up with Noises by alexmagnet, which was the inspiration to this story. All of these stories have always been in this collection and not anywhere else.

8005298 You forgot adding in Mares of Diomedes Two : Alicorn Edition, Easter Style.

You know what they say about the body of Christ

...That is the most horrible story idea I have ever had and I want it to exist now.

8005351

You forgot adding in Mares of Diomedes Two : Alicorn Edition, Easter Style.
You know what they say about the body of Christ
...That is the most horrible story idea I have ever had and I want it to exist now.

I don't think I'm capable of writing such a story.

8005414 You SAY that, but I know you Biscuit. I know you. The mindworm has been planted.

8005531
I know. Curse you. <shakes hoof>

8007876 Shh, shh, it's okay. You can de-infest yourself by doing what it wants.

...And it feels weird now to think there's no Silver update in 3 minutes.

8007893

>> Admiral Biscuit Shh, shh, it's okay. You can de-infest yourself by doing what it wants.

I dunno, that one's a far stretch. Like, that would literally piss off everyone except for you.

...And it feels weird now to think there's no Silver update in 3 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at the clock.

8011619 You say that but you never knooooowww

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

9162108
Yeah, I had to really think about it. And even then, I was still picturing Pinkie's. XD

9517077
If only it was that easy.

BTW.
Did you read the comics FIENDship is Magic?
The stuffed copy in front of Chrysalis door?
I think that how her costume must look like

Fakest of fakes.

9516974
A super hero who fought a crab...

9517018
Ah . Makes sense

9517099

Did you read the comics FIENDship is Magic?

I have not. I believe I have them, I just haven’t had time to read them yet. :derpytongue2:

9517068
I read that comic!!!
Many of those are gold!
I want Tiberius to be seen in the show!
Also Kibitz :))

9517118
Sombra and Chrysalis... Darn. So GOOD.
Chrysalis explains her story...
If...she ain't lying... Arg hope S9 confirms

Read em!! Like you never read before!

9517129

I want Tiberius to be seen in the show!
Also Kibitz :))

I do, too. Both of them are great characters. :heart:

Chrysalis explains her story...
If...she ain't lying... Arg hope S9 confirms

She’s probably lying. I don’t trust her. :derpytongue2:

Read em!! Like you never read before!

If I ever have free time . . . (although it wouldn’t take that much free time to catch up).

I like Sam's story because she clearly wants to belong to the community but the strong nudity taboos of earth are holding her back. It's interesting to wonder what other cultural norms she's working against, either human or pony. I suspect that friendly intimacy is one of them. Ponies seem (at least in this version of Equestria) to find close platonic physical bonding, like cosleeping, as normal. I get the sense Sam is less troubled by this than nudity but still harboring confusion over if Rose might actually have some romantic interest in her. And I think she'd be way less accepting of cosleeping if it was a stallion friend!

Login or register to comment