• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,945 Views, 509 Comments

Not another One-Shot-Ober - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of mostly comedic vignettes about ponies in their native Equestria.

  • ...
12
 509
 2,945

November

November
A Sam and Rose Story
Admiral Biscuit

I wrapped my hands around my double-chocolate mint mocha and brought it to my mouth. The drink warmed my hands, a promise of what was to come when it crossed my lips.

My eyes were closed, letting my nose take the fore. The peppermint almost overpowered the other smells of the mocha, but not quite. The heavy, savory flavor of the chocolate was there, just below the surface, waiting to be explored.

I held my position a moment longer, wanting to revel in it. I'd always been a bit of a skinflint when it came to spending money at drinking establishments—whether they be bars or Tim Horton's—but now I had seen the error of my ways.

I could have been back home, maybe treating myself to a bit of store-made coffee. With my eyes closed, the dull hubbub of conversation around me might have been Vancouver . . . but even over the mint and chocolate and coffee and muffins, scones, and other baked treats, I could vaguely make out the smell of wet pony.

It was a teasing smell—not as pungent as wet dog—but it was there, and a reminder that no matter my fantasies, I was here.

Fortunately, a nosefull of whipped cream will effectively derail any maudlin thoughts.

I set the glass down carefully, and almost wiped my nose with the back of an arm, before remembering the sweater I was wearing in deference to the cold outside. Instead, I pinched my nostrils, scraping the whipped cream off between thumb and forefinger, and discreetly wiped it off on a napkin, twitching involuntarily as my sweater rubbed against my chest.

I never would have thought that there would come a time in my life when wearing a sweater would feel weird, and I thought about taking it off.

That also wasn't something I'd have considered in the past. But the ovens kept Sugarcube Corner nice and warm, and while I was still cold right now, I might start to sweat by the time I was done with my drink.

I'd cross that bridge when I got to it. I stuck a straw in my cup and absently stirred my drink, losing any thoughts I might have had in the slow spin of the whipped cream around my glass. I'd finally come to terms with being on speaking terms with the literal providers of dairy products.

That Borden's cow is a rather apt corporate logo, I thought, before the particularities of the movement won out over the bitter part of my brain.

I was so lost in my thoughts that Rose snuck up on me. Ponies were surprisingly quiet when they wanted to be.

She'd gotten familiar enough with my height that she just went up on her hind legs to nuzzle my cheek, and I returned the greeting.

She had a pair of saddlebags draped across her back, and the scarf I'd knitted her loosely around her neck. I wasn't really sure how much that helped keep the cold away—had I dressed only in a scarf and gone into town, I doubt if I would have been any warmer than if I'd left the scarf at home.

Maybe it was psychological. I don't know. But I'd seen other ponies wearing them, and scarves were easy enough to make, after all.

I took another sip of my mocha while Rose made her way to the front counter, to order a drink for herself. The Cakes were doing brisk business; both Pinkie and Carrot were at the counter, preparing and serving orders, while Cup darted between the display cases and the ovens.

Her two foals were playing in a crib just a little bit out of the way, but close enough that they could be watched.

Rose came back with a steaming mug of hot chocolate held tightly in a hoof. In some ways, their handicap when it came to horns or wings made the earth ponies more graceful.

She set the cup on the table and hopped onto the chair across from me. Although her position looked more awkward than mine, if it really was uncomfortable, they'd re-design their chairs. I couldn't plant my feet on the floor without knocking over the table with my knees.

“Are you keeping busy, Sam?”

I waved my hand in a so-so gesture. “Still a lot of work at the mill. Farm ponies are emptying their silos. I guess that keeps up year-round.”

Rose nodded.

“But there's a lot of ponies that aren't working right now. There isn't any farm work, you know.”

“You could chop more wood.”

“I have been.” I sighed and took a sip of my drink. “Ginger's always happy to have me out there helping out.”

Rose unwrapped her scarf and draped it across the back of her chair, then picked up her mug between her hooves and blew across the top of it before taking a sip. “In a month or two you could shovel snow. Do you know how?”

I nodded absently. “Hey, Rose, I've got a bit of a personal question if you don't mind.”

“Sure.”

“I've been noticing that some ponies are getting shaggy, and others aren't. I figure it's a winter coat.”

She nodded.

“That's what I thought. But I noticed that almost none of the unicorns have one, while most of the earth ponies do.” I motioned towards the front of the shop, where Pumpkin and Pound had given up on whatever game they were playing and were curled around each other in an adorable little pile. “You guys can, um, interbreed, so is that why? Is it genetic?”

Her cheeks colored slightly, and she took another sip of her hot chocolate to give her time to think. It was weird; they went around naked all the time and didn't see any issue with letting everypony see their junk, but some kinds of talking about sex bothered Rose. I wondered if it was just my choice of words. Maybe interbreed sounded too animalistic to her.

“Yes; parents from different tribes can produce offspring, or a foal can be of a different tribe than her parents, if they're not purebloods.”

“What about donkeys and zebras and stuff? Does that work too?” That had nothing to do with my question, but since I'd brought up the subject, I was kind of curious.

She nodded and focused on her drink. I felt like I'd somehow touched a nerve, so I moved back to a safer—I hoped—topic. “So that's why some of you have winter coats and some don't.”

“No, it's not that.” She tilted her head towards a booth where Applejack and Rarity were gossiping. “It's vanity. A lot of ponies don't like to look shaggy, so they go to the spa and have their coats thinned for the winter. Earth ponies usually don't, unless they're stuck-up. But a lot of unicorns do, even though it means that they're cold in the winter.” She snickered, then rested a hoof on my shoulder. “Like you do.”

I nodded. “We could have had this discussion a while back, and it would have saved some time.” I sighed. “I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm still glad that you managed to find me a razor. It's hard to be neat with scissors. On a different topic, how do you keep busy during the winter?”

“We've got the hothouses,” Rose reminded me. “So we can grow some flowers. They're not as good as spring flowers, because they don't get as much sun. It's actually a lot of work to keep them happy. There isn't any rain, so we have to water them ourselves.”

“I'm happy to come over and help, if you need it,” I offered. “Easier than chopping wood.” I looked over at the window, where small splatters of rain were collecting on the panes. I'd come early to avoid it, but it looked like I'd be getting a bit wet on the way home.

To the best of my reckoning, it was November. They'd celebrated Nightmare Night two nights ago, and with Rose's help, I'd made myself into a bedsheet-ghost. I can't imagine I looked any less ridiculous than the other mare I'd seen who'd had the same costume idea.

I probably could have gotten away with going as myself, but that hardly seemed in the spirit of the holidays. Next year, though, I was going as a Diamond Dog. I could make myself a pretty good fursuit out of yarn . . . I wasn't sure if Diamond Dogs had breeds like dogs did at home, but if anyone asked, I'd just say I was a Komondor.

Rose had gone as some sort of historical pony nobility. She'd had her mane done up in some sort of a bouffant, and wore a thick ruff collar. That was actually it for her costume—some of the ponies went all-out, while others just wore a headpiece or some other significant bit of gear and figured that was good enough.

I couldn't quite figure out how that worked in their minds: it was like some kid wearing a bedsheet cape and saying he was Superman . . . of course, with my own bedsheet-ghost costume, I could hardly talk.

I focused back on the present. Rose was lost in her own thoughts, taking small sips of her hot chocolate. When she put down the mug, she had a small line of chocolate above her lip; without thinking I reached across the table and blotted it off.

“Sorry.”

“It's okay.” She looked across the table at me. “We ought to get going. The rain's supposed to be getting heavier soon.”

I looked around. Sure enough, tables and booths were emptying out. I think the weather was something that the earth ponies were attuned to; most of the stragglers were unicorns. Maybe they couldn't control it, but they could feel it.

“I guess.” I didn't want to leave; it was nice and comfortable inside. I'd finally gotten to the point where my body temperature felt just right, and I wasn’t in a hurry to brave the cold yet. Still, the sporadic rain wouldn't be so bad; if I had to go home in a downpour, I'd regret it.

Both of us finished our drinks and we walked to the door together. Once we were outside, Rose nuzzled my cheek again and then went off towards home, her scarf wrapped proudly around her neck.

I stood there in the street for a minute, looking at Sugarcube corner. There was something nice and normal about meeting a friend for a drink, something that had been missing from my life. Maybe it was the changing seasons that made me want to seek out the crowd, perhaps as a way of fighting back against the long, dark nights that would be coming. Maybe the ponies and I weren't that different after all.

I glanced up at the sky. The clouds were getting darker: it was high time to head home. If I was lucky, I'd get there before the rain got heavy.

Author's Note:

Skipping ahead some from where we left off in Dinner with Rose.