• Published 20th Apr 2015
  • 6,917 Views, 786 Comments

A Nightmare Returned - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Nightmare Moon has returned and once again wants to plunge Equestria into eternal night. Unfortunately for her, it seems she is unable to.

  • ...
38
 786
 6,917
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 56 )

WE DEMAND A SEQUEL!!! :flutterrage:

You can't blue-ball us like this!

I-if you don't mind... :fluttershyouch:

This makes me want a sequel but at the same time I don't because that ending was perfect. You leave me very conflicted.

I love it.

6338324 No, there will be no sequel. Honestly, just thinking about how much work I put into this story wears me out, and I finished the actual writing months ago. I am very proud of what I have written, and how much others have enjoyed it. However, I have no idea what a sequel would possibly be about (please don't write to me with suggestions). Even if I did, there is the matter of quality. At this time, even if I did try to write a sequel, I doubt I could come up with something that would match the quality of the story enough to be a sufficient sequel. Even if it is a good -- or even great -- story on its own, it will not be as good as this. Kind of like with some of the movies made: the original was great, but each sequel is of lesser and lesser quality until they are seen as horrible, but people continue to see them so they keep being made.

Well, since she’s in the dream realm I guess she can always visit Cherry if she really wants to. God only knows what they’ll get up to in a realm as malleable to Nightmare Moon as reality is to Discord.

that was possible one of the best endings I have ever read, well done:twilightsmile:.
so it is said: You cant keep a good Nightmare down.

Interesting close.

And while you state no sequel, you could do a sort and sweet bonus chapter under 1k words or something, just to give Nightmare Moon a kindness. One obvious direction is she visits Chocolate Cherry's dreams and hint towards either taking Cherry as a host, or getting Nightmare a new body. With or without full powers.

Considering Nightmare appears back to in her pre-incarnation state, she's rebuilding her power anyway.

This was a great story, excellent work.

6338366 perhaps make an entirely new story with nightmare moon? :scootangel:

Ending is such sweet sorrow. But it was a satisfying ending. :pinkiehappy:

Still... no Nightmare Cherry? Maybe that'll be Ponyville's surprise for the next Nightmare Night. :pinkiecrazy:

No conclusion for Chocolate Cherry?

6338366 if you're not going to write one yourself, would you give your blessing if somepony else wrote one?

6338545 If someone likes the idea and wants to try something with it, go ahead and best of luck to them.

When you do have a mouth and must scream, and still can't. Well played Nighty.

Sequel, please. :twilightsmile:

I really love this ending. Nightmare Moon is finally back where we love her. A tormentor of souls and Grogar got what he deserved. I am so glad, she is not dead. And it is great, how she states I am no hero, I am a nightmare. Which means any try to reform her had failed! I am not sure, if I want a sequel, because this is already perfect.

The donkey jumped at the sound of his name being bellowed. Turning toward the source, he dropped down into a bow, lowering his head until the tip of his chin touched the ground.
"Master Grogar, you're alive. I was certain that the mare had killed you."
Grogar raised one hoof and smacked Bray on the head.
"I am dead you dim-witted dullard of a donkey!" he yelled. "That insolent mare foolishly sacrificed herself to try and stop me."

Not that foolish if you're dead.

"It seems that instead of sending me back to the shadow world or into the afterlife, it brought me back to the dream realm instead. I can take some consolation in the fact that despite a major loss, I am still able to try again. Tell me, what happened with Sombra?"

Uh, no, between Luna and Nightmare Moon, you won't stay sane long.

"According to the report, a failure," Bray said as he stood up. "The Bearers were able to use their rainbow power on him, with assistance from Princess Cadance and The Crystal Heart. However, instead of destroying him, it seems that it reverted him into a young colt. He was last seen on a train heading for Canterlot."

Strange.

"And our allies?"
"Alive, and free. Everypony in The Crystal Empire was so focused on Sombra's return and attack, none of them thought to seek out any potential ponies aiding him in his return. The population of Ponyville is unaware of the details of what happened. In both cases, there have been no searches for ponies involved. Although Healthy Hope and Stormstrike have decided to leave and not assist with us any longer."

Good.

"I believe that I will need some more time to recover before I am strong enough to be made into flesh again. In the meanwhile, we are going to need to come up with a new distraction for the princesses and their champions."

Good luck with that.

"You have no authority over me," the voice purred out, "especially here. This is my domain after all. However, I do wish to show myself, so you can consider yourself fortunate that I will cooperate this time. Look up. At the moon."

Tell me this means what I think it does.

A face formed around the mouth and eyes as it seemed to move closer, turning darker as the stars disappeared. More and more of the form appeared, turning from sky to flesh as it approached. The figure grew smaller as it went, stopping when Nightmare Moon stood before the two, now fully formed. Her now ethereal mane and tail trailed behind her, the blue and purple shifting to black before fading from sight.

"I suppose it was inevitable that you would end up here as well," Grogar said calmly. "So, is this display of your power and the destruction of my minion supposed to intimidate me?"

Nope.

"As you pointed out," Nightmare Moon stated, "this is the dream realm. If I were to 'destroy' him, he would merely wake up and be unharmed. Instead I sent him elsewhere. He is currently having a bad dream about being chased through a dark forest by monsters. He can't see what's chasing him. Just glowing eyes and sharp teeth. Not that you care, but he'll be fine when he wakes up. Scared, panting, and maybe having pissed himself, but unharmed."

Pity.

"Insolent foal," he snarled out, his horns lighting up with his power. "Do you think you can intimidate me? Have you forgotten what I was able to do to you all the other times we met in this realm?" He then unleashed a blast of raw magic at Nightmare Moon.
It struck her in the chest before dissipating, seeming to have no effect on the mare.

You dun goofed.

"Here, and now, you have nothing. Essentially, you are nothing."

And she is the everything, care to guess as to what's going to happen next?

"This... this is Tambelon."

Indeed.

"Yes," Nightmare agreed. "The kingdom that you supposedly ruled all those millenia ago. The same kingdom that you let fall to the ruin you now see before you in your desire to do... whatever it was you were trying to do. The same kingdom that you used as a base of your power as you brought fear, pain, and death to ponies."

Much like Sombra.

"Is that your plan?" he asked. "Are you going to try to appeal to my conscience? Try to change me into a good goat that will not harm the poor, pathetic, weak ponies that are beneath me?"

Oh please.

"While I was alive and made flesh, I found some very interesting stories, the intent of which were actually to frighten ponies. Some of them had some very interesting ideas and concepts, both for frightening the characters in the story and for the readers."

And since the only limit in the dream realm is your imagination...

"I would have thought that you would be more patient," Nightmare said. "It did take you months to go from attacking me for my blood to making your move on Ponyville. Besides, it's not like there is any need to hurry. We have all the time in the world as the saying goes. More than, actually."

Indeed you do.

"In case you aren't aware, time does not move here the same way it does in the physical world. A dream that last a few seconds to a sleeping pony can seem to go on for minutes, hours, even days. When one is in control here, be it a dream creature such as myself or a pony that has mastered lucid dreaming, one can actually control the passage of time in this world." She turned to look at him. "As I have been doing. As we have been speaking, I have slowing down the time in this place."

Oh really? And the point of that being?

"Tell me, Grogar, how many ponies have suffered because of you? How many have been scared, or hurt, or gone hungry? How many did you allow to be miserable and helpless in your so-called 'kingdom?' More importantly, how many ponies have died because of you, necromancer?" She spat out the last word, eyes narrowing.

I think I know where this is going...

"So we are back to trying to appeal to my conscience?" Grogar asked.

That would imply you have one.

After giving him a smirk, Nightmare Moon turned and took off. Slowly she flew up, stopping to land on the castle wall before turning to face him.
A bony leg burst out from the dirt in front of Grogar, bits of flesh and soil sticking to it.

And here we go, you see Grogar, you killed a lot of ponies, who now have a way of having their revenge on you. Care to guess as to how this will play out?

A second leg joined the first one in front of him. Placing the hooves on the ground, they pushed. Soon the entire front half of a pony skeleton emerged. Its eye sockets looked at Grogar, mouth hanging open.
All around Grogar, more limbs began to push themselves through the dirt before pulling the rest of their skeletal remains up. They all continued to face him, staring with empty black holes where eyes should have been.

Sounds like pure Nightmare Fuel. It's funny because NIGHTMARE Moon.

Horns lighting up with magic, Grogar blasted one of the pony skeletons.
It seemed to have no effect as it continued to move toward him.

Oh this will be fun.

"I asked you how many died because of you," Nightmare called back from her spot on the castle wall. "Well now you get to know why." She spread out a wing, motioning at the yard. "All around you are dead that you are directly responsible for."

That's a lot of dead ponies.

"Stop!" he cried out, trying to kick free. "Release me this instant."

Nope.

"Nightmare!" he shouted as the dirt began to reach his chest. "Please!"

She has no mercy for you.

"WAIT!" Grogar called out at the top of his lungs. "You can't do this. You can't leave me like this. It isn't what heroes do!"

Hero? HER? Oh that's rich!

"That is where you are making your mistake," Nightmare Moon said in a voice that was soft, but could be heard perfectly clearly. "I am not a hero. I am a Nightmare."

Translation:

Meh.

~Have a good one.

Huh, I was expecting more tentacles when she started talking about reading horror stories. Eh, maybe later.

Luna: that was a bit too much, no?
Nightmare: and you care?
Luna: Nah...

6338366

A very fitting end to a very bad goat and a not terribly nice Nightmare either, heh. While I'm sad to see her body get squished I was confident she herself would not, could not, die, no more than you can kill an ideal with a sword.

"Is that your plan?" he asked. "Are you going to try to appeal to my conscience? Try to change me into a good goat that will not harm the poor, pathetic, weak ponies that are beneath me?"

Was I the only one to immediately think of James Bond on the table?

I agree that any attempt at a sequel would probably come off as hamfisted and forced. Besides, she'll make her return in her own way. A few "gentle" bad dreams to culminate in a reveal to those ponies she cares about. I can think of one mare that would revel in getting nightmares from a source she thought had died. And while I don't see Nightmare trying to take over Luna's job of keeping everypony's dreams bright and pretty, I have to wonder how much she's been turned towards being more productive rather than destructive? A vigilante of the dream realm of sorts. A... Batmare? The classic version that doesn't care about the authorities because they'd just give the criminal scum a slap on the wrist when they really need a punishment fitting the crime; an eye for an eye.

Pray that Luna finds you first because Nightmare will have no such mercy on your tainted soul.

wow this is a exultant ending to a super story and that dam goat gets his in the end.
no sequel I can live with that. at lest Nightmare Moon even though her body may be gone her spirit lives on. is there is a chance that she can still do good.

6338420
I will say I would like to see this one addition to the story.
Harts Fire

SEQUEL, SEQUEL, SEQUEL, SEQUEL!!

I see people calling for a sequal, but I suspect a certain quote in the story has passed people by.

I control the flow of time in this dream, and at the moment its running much slower than real life.

Nightmare has to stay in the same dream as Grogar, so she can keep Both in Stasis. 10, 100, 1000 to one, or even greater ratios. An hour in four seconds, two years in a week. For Grogar to return to teh outside after a thousand years, it could be after a year of torture, or only a few hours.

True discoporeal dissolution.

Nighmare Rule.

Very anticlimatic end :/ Rushed and lack of good battle or anything worth ending story

6339478 you know no such thing...........

Eeehhhhhhhhh. I'm very unsure about "death" endings in stories, they never seem quite right. Especially in mlp fics. (I put death quotes because NM is not dead, per se, but you know that.)

There are numerous ways NM could come back. She was summoned from the dream realm at the beginning, and she can be summoned again. She could visit cherry in her dreams, and give her some closure about what happened. She could take over Luna's Dream job, while Grogan suffers.

Really, this whole "nobody else knows" thing is pretty full of holes.

But it could be worse. At least it didn't end the way that the Dysphoria Arcs did. I was mad for days over that.

Yeah! Nightmare is alive, Sombra is no longer evil and somegoat is going to live a true nightmare.
Sequel pls, if you want!

you know you have read a great story when you read the last word and feel like your saying goodbye to an old friend.

Woho! Last chapter~
I should probably continue this story again, it's really good, but darn school :P

"I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me!" Grogar might almost be better off in hell.

A fitting ending to an amazing, poignant tale.

My Queen is alive and back with a vengeance? Where's my popcorn? And night guard armor?

any sequel in mind?

cool no one beat me to this :pinkiesmile:
"WAIT!" Grogar called out at the top of his lungs. "You can't do this. You can't leave me like this. It isn't what heroes do!"

"That is where you are making your mistake," Nightmare Moon said in a voice that was soft, but could be heard perfectly clearly. "I am not a hero. I am a Nightmare." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL4q7BBzanI go to time stamp 7:28 :pinkiecrazy:

Grogar just got a full supply of Nightmare Fuel.

Well played.

:T so... Nobody dies? Erhmmm.....

Finally finished this. And I am impressed! A good story and one that screams sequel!

6360708 That would be "Red Flanks." Go down three blocks and take a right.

So Nightmare's on the loose in the dream realm? Looking forward to that sequel.

*sequel consists of nothing but Nightie banging Cherry in her dreams*

... Still looking forward to it.

So that was fun.
The smooze.... Well, there's certainly possibility for a sequel, but we understand it if you don't want to write one.
Keep going! ;)

6436177

In my defense, I thought she had a hole blasted straight through her.

it was ok but it could have been better

6631699 well its a word I never used before so, ya I'll remember that for future reference

I like this ending, NMM gets to her happy place and Grogar gets imprisoned.

I've been trying to finish reading this for a while and this simply needs to be said :eeyup: Bravo! This story hit me right in the feels in every way! :rainbowkiss: Truly remarkable!

Please do a sequel, and I so hope Nightie comes back so she can be with chocolate cherry. Please?

please write sequel

Login or register to comment