• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 35,279 Views, 13,446 Comments

My Little Caboose: Blue is Magic! - DarkWing



What happens when the Reds and Blues finally get Church out of the Epsilon unit? Caboose decides he wants a turn in the unit, of course! What happens next? Well let's just say he always did say he wanted a pony, now he has a world full of them.

  • ...
139
 13,446
 35,279

PreviousChapters Next
A Spittle Help

The Cutie Mark Crusaders slowly and cautiously walked down the rough trail, eyes darting every which-way whenever they heard a noise. "This was a bad idea." Sweetie Belle said quietly.

"Well it's too late to turn back now." Scootaloo said.

"What was that?" Applebloom said, jumping to the side.

"What was what?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"The bush... i-it moved." Applebloom said.

"I didn't see anything." Sweetie Belle said.

"Applebloom is just looking for a reason to turn back." Scootaloo said with a small, nervous laugh.

Sweetie Belle looked over at the bush and yelped, taking a few steps back. "No she's not."

"What are you to talking about?" Scootaloo asked, turning to the bush that Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were watching to see a pair of yellow eyes shining brilliantly from within it. "What is that thing?" Scootaloo asked quietly.

"I think it's one of them timberwolf thingies Granny Smith talked about durin' family appreciation day." Applebloom said.

The glow of the eyes then suddenly disappeared. The girls kept staring at the bush for what seemed like an eternity.

"Where did it go?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"I don't know, but I think we should keep going." Scootaloo said.

Scootaloo then turned down the path, just to find herself face-to-face with a timberwolf, eyeing her curiously. The girls barely managed to stifle their screams as the timberwolf circled them slowly. After a few seconds the timberwolf suddenly stopped and started to growl. The girls’ bodies were all frozen in intense fear, but their eyes continued darting around the forest as they continued to hear more noise coming from the dark forest. Another timberwolf jumped out of the bush. Then a third. And then a fourth.

"What are we going to do?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"I d-don't know..." Scootaloo squeaked.

Sarge and Applejack were back-tracking down the trail, looking for where the timberwolves had lost interest in them. Applejack kept trying to talk to Sarge, but whenever she tried to start a conversation, he would just grunt and keep going. It was beginning to worry her. "Y'know Sarge, it ain't doin' you much good keepin' t' yourself like this."

"How about we just stick to what we came out here to do?" Sarge muttered.

"Maybe it'd help if you, y'know, talked about yer feelin's." Applejack said.

"I would rather not. And when did you become Donut?"

"Ah've been meanin' t'ask you, who is this Donut character? Every now and again ah hear you say his name."

"He was one of my soldiers." Sarge muttered.

"Really? What happened t' him?" Applejack asked.

"He got shot and died." Sarge said, not turning to Applejack.

Applejack stood still and stared at Sarge. "Ah'm sorry Sarge, ah didn't mean t'-"

"Don't worry about it." Sarge grunted. "Let's find these wolves."

"Ah think ah understand..." Applejack said. "You blame yourself for that Donut fella's passing and you don't want to lose another one of your own."

Sarge stopped working briefly, turned to Applejack and gave her a limp shrug and went right back to work. They then heard three piercing screams. Sarge and Applejack shared a nervous look. "That sounded like-"

"Applebloom!" Applejack yelled.

Applejack and Sarge burst through the thick bushes to find the three crusaders surrounded by a pack of timberwolves. They crouched behind the bush and knew they had to come up with a plan.

"Sis' help!" Applebloom yelled.

"What are we goin' t' do?" Applejack asked. "I think I could take one or two but no more."

"You don't have to take any." Sarge said quietly, standing up.

"Sarge, you better not-" Applejack started, but Sarge leaped over the bush. "-do anythin' stupid." She trailed off, mainly to herself.

Sarge charged at the closest timberwolf to him, knocking it on the ground with the impact. The timberwolf next to him snarled and jumped at him, but Sarge bucked it, sending it flying through the trees. Another timberwolf tackled Sarge to the ground and went for his throat, but he managed to grab a stick and use it to fend off the approaching jaws. He took the next moment to kick the timberwolf off of him, leaving some teeth in the stick. The last few timberwolves turned to the stallion and stared at him with hungry eyes. Applejack jumped out from behind the bushes and stood next to Sarge. Sarge glanced behind Applejack to see the three crusaders trembling.

"Take the girls and run." Sarge said. "I'll fend them off for long enough to-"

"I'm not leaving you behind." Applejack said firmly.

"That wasn't a request." Sarge said, walking in front of Applejack. "It was an order."

"But what about the ingredient?" Applejack asked.

Sarge threw the stick at Applejacks feet. It had a few timberwolf teeth lodged in it. Applejack stared at it then back at Sarge.

"Go." Sarge yelled, running straight at the timberwolves.

Applejack looked at the girls and nodded. The girls started to run, but Applejack paused and looked back at Sarge. She then shook her head and caught up with the crusaders as they made their way to Zecora’s.

"What's Sarge doin'?" Applebloom asked while running next to her sister.

Applejack said nothing and kept pressing on, trying not to think about it. It took the four girls just a couple of minutes to arrive back at Zecora’s hut, bursting through the door, the large stick in her mouth. All the others were already back and their heads snapped to her as she spat the branch onto the ground.

"Where is the final ingredient?" Twilight asked.

"There's some teeth lodged up in this here stick." Applejack said, panting heavily as the crusaders then ran through the door and slammed it behind them.

"Girls? What are you doing here?" Twilight asked.

"We saw that Sarge was comin' in here with you guys." Applebloom started. "And we thought maybe we could come t'-"

Applejack turned suddenly as she remembered about the three little ponies that she had towed along. "What did ah tell you? Huh? Ah told you t' never come in here 'less you are with an older pony." The three fillies turned their heads down in guilt as Applejack reprimanded them.

"Where is Sarge?" Grif interrupted softly. "Don't tell me he didn't come to watch me in pain."

Applejack turned to Grif with sad eyes.

"He... he stayed behind." Applejack said, her voice suddenly much softer.

"What do you mean 'stayed behind'?" Simmons asked, though he already knew the answer.

"The girls were surrounded by the timberwolves, n' Sarge stayed back to slow 'em down so we could make it back." Applejack said. "I was goin' t' stay with him, but somepony needed to bring the girls t' safety."

The room fell silent as all eyes fell on Applejack.

"You know he's not dead, right?" Grif asked.

"I sure hope so..." Applejack said.

"No, I mean he... he is not dead." Grif said with disbelief. "He can't be."

"There was so many of 'em..." Applejack said.

"Don't worry, Grif just has trouble dealing with deaths." Simmons said. "Even when his sister-"

"My sister is still alive too you idiot..." Grif said quietly.

"Grif, I know you don't want to believe it." Twilight said quietly. "But the odds are-"

"Reds always go up against the odds and come out on top." Sarge said from outside. "But I might need some of that stew."

Grif's lips curled into a smile and he shook his head. Applejack ran up to the door and opened it and all the girls gasped. Sarge was standing there, wounds on his neck and legs, bleeding freely.

"Miss me?" Sarge said as he spat out some blood.

"I told you so." Grif said with a smirk.

PreviousChapters Next