• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 35,279 Views, 13,446 Comments

My Little Caboose: Blue is Magic! - DarkWing



What happens when the Reds and Blues finally get Church out of the Epsilon unit? Caboose decides he wants a turn in the unit, of course! What happens next? Well let's just say he always did say he wanted a pony, now he has a world full of them.

  • ...
139
 13,446
 35,279

PreviousChapters Next
Magic Practice

Spike descended the staircase to see Church flipping through the book with a stern look on his face. "What are you reading Church?" Spike asked quietly.

"A book on magic." Church replied.

"I didn't take you to be the kind of pony that would be in to the whole magic thing." Spike laughed.

"I just figured that I should try and learn how to use this magic stuff, but I just can't seem to be able to wrap my head around it." Church said.

"Oh, okay." Spike said. "Did you ask Twilight for help?"

"No, I'm trying to do this on my own. Plus I'm sure she has a lot of better things to do other than help me." Church replied quietly.

"Nah Twilight loves magic. I'm sure if you asked her she would jump at the chance to teach somepony." Spike chuckled. "She occasionally tries to teach me magic even though I can't do it."

"Maybe I'll ask her later, the stuff I'm reading may be a bit... trivial." Church admitted.

"Why would you say that?" Spike asked curiously.

Church flipped the book to show Spike the cover that read "Magic for Fillies". "Yeah, you're right that might be a little under her league, but I'm still sure she would like to help in some way." Spike said.

"Add the fact that it would be pretty embarrassing admitting that I can't even do the simplest of things." Church added.

"Yeah, I know that feeling of being left out." Spike said weakly.

"You have no idea what being left out is until you are surrounded by people who don't know how to do anything without complaining or fucking up." Church chuckled.

"That's true. And I hope I'll never get to experience that." Spike said with a laugh. "To be honest Church, I'm glad you're here. Before, the only ponies I would ever really talk to were the girls, so it's nice to have somepony that I can talk to about, y'know, stuff."

"I know that feeling, except replace girls with complete idiots." Church said.

Suddenly the door to the library swung open and Twilight walked in and sat next to Spike.

"Where did you go?" Spike asked.

"Fluttershy asked me to go over to her place to check on Grif's leg. She really seems to be worried about him." Twilight said distantly.

"I am too." Church said quietly, then started to laugh. "The entire time I've known him I have never seen him so much as lift a finger to help anybody. I was surprised when we had to go dig him out of that damn forest."

"So how do you guys even know each other?" Spike asked.

"I'll tell you later." Church promised. "I'm going to go back to learning how to do stuff with magic."

"I'd be glad to help you." Twilight said happily. She quickly turned away from Church and rubbed her foreleg as she felt the heat of a blush bloom on her face. "That is, if you want my help."

"I don't know, the book you gave me seems like it would be annoying for you to teach me." Church laughed. "Maybe I'm just an idiot when it comes to magic."

"You can't be expected to learn something new in a couple of minutes." Twilight said reassuringly.

Church simply shrugged and went back to reading. After a few more minutes he closed the book.

"I give up." Church muttered.

"Give me the book, I'll help you." Twilight said.

"Okay, but don't be mad if I can't get it." Church said.

"One of my idols Starswirl the Bearded once said 'a great teacher never gets mad at the student, but gets mad at themselves for they are the ones who failed the student'." Twilight said.

"Sounds like a smart guy." Church said with a swift nod.

"He's probably the smartest unicorn to have ever lived. My life's goal is to achieve what he has achieved in the field of magic and further his research into the unknown." Twilight said passionately.

"Well you're certainly not getting there any faster by stopping to help me." Church said with a laugh.

"He didn't just study twenty-four seven." Twilight said. "He also spent most of his days teaching others how to use and perfect their magical abilities. I would consider it an honor to teach you."

"Fine, you win." Church said, holding the book up. "If you really want to I guess you can-"

Twilight snagged the book from his hooves and opened it to the first page.

"Great, shall we get started?" Twilight asked with excitement.

Church shared a quick glance with Spike before turning back to Twilight, "sure."

"Maybe you should tell him what magic is before teaching him the spells, that might help." Spike suggested.

"Great idea Spike!" Twilight exclaimed before turning her focus to the book. "The first thing you need to know about magic is where it comes from..."

Church closed his eyes for a few seconds and counted to three.

"Have fun, I'm going to grab a bite to eat." Spike said quickly.

"Okay Spike, be careful." Twilight said, not paying attention to what Spike had said.

"Not. Cool." Church mouthed to Spike.

"Magic is an essence that lies dormant in every unicorn and alicorn." Twilight continued. "It continues to remain dormant until the owner focuses on it and tries to make it a reality. It takes an undetermined amount of time for unicorn fillies to find their latent abilities, but when they do, they are prone to have short, uncontrolled bursts of magic. However, since you are a full grown stallion and not a filly, you should be able to control that with little problem. Another thing that you should note is that unicorns are not as potent with magic as alicorns are."

"How much more powerful are we talking here?" Church asked, genuinely intrigued.

"Well take a look at the two princesses." Twilight said. "Celestia raises and sets the sun every day, and her sister Luna- have you met Luna?"

"No, but-"

"Well Luna has the ability to do the same with the moon." Twilight interrupted.

"Wait, really?" Church asked.

Twilight gave a brief nod. "Shall we continue?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, this is actually starting to sound pretty interesting." Church said honestly.

PreviousChapters Next