• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 31,737 Views, 4,344 Comments

A Dream - totallynotabrony



A not so standard human-in-Equestria story including but not limited to: democracy, tequila, and robots.

  • ...
208
 4,344
 31,737

PreviousChapters Next
Trade Ya!

I heard Sunset come into my room. Her hooves on the canvas floor of the tent were quiet, but it couldn’t have been anyone else. I would have heard them unzip the tent’s front door flap.

I rolled off the bed and reached for the battery powered lantern; I didn’t trust the firefly ones. However, it didn’t turn on as I flipped the switch. I said, “Sunset, give me some light, will you?”

She stopped awkwardly and after a moment her horn lit up with the teal glow of her magic. She was just steps from my bed.

“Thanks,” I said, sitting upright. “What’s up?”

“I, um, was just thinking about you,” she said.

“Understandable. I mean, it’s not every day that you have to spend a night in a tent with me because of a wild party at the library.” I shrugged, but then stopped. “Unless there was some other reason?”

Sunset looked uncertain for a moment but then nodded resolutely. “Yes.”

“Oh really?” I said, my attention distracted.

She took a step closer. “That’s right.”

And then we screwed the battery cover back onto the lantern, after replacing the batteries.

“So why were you thinking about me?” I asked, setting the lantern down as I turned it on. “Hang on, wait.” I frowned. “Pinkie might not have even thrown a party. It could have been a plan to get the two of us together.” I jumped up and laughed triumphantly. “And now that I’ve figured it out, it won’t work! Pinkie, you think you’re so clever!”

From somewhere out in the darkness I thought I heard someone faintly reply, “Curses! Foiled again!”

“Anyway,” I said, turning back to Sunset, “thanks for the help.”

“Um, right,” she said.

I checked the time on the wall clock. “Hmm, maybe I should go back to sleep or maybe I should work on my gadgets. Actually, is that even a choice?”

I promptly started tinkering with my extendo boxing glove, getting that nice sproing noise from it.

Sunset sat and watched me, looking glum but occasionally making conversation. “So that magic converter I was talking about. I think it can be adapted for weaponry.”

She was trying hard to get my attention, I could tell, but if it was important I would either remember it or she would bring it up again. I was in the zone, so to speak.

In the morning, we packed up the tent and went back to Ponyville. It was time to take a train or something. As we walked, Sunset told me about a fashion show Rarity was going to be holding later.

“I’m going to be in it,” she said. “You should come.”

“Why?”

“Um, free snacks?”

“Cool. I’m in.”

Sunset went back to the library and I met up with the group who was going to Rainbow Falls. Pinkie was excited. Granted, that was a given for just about any situation you could think of, but the fact that I’m pointing it out should give extra emphasis to the fact that excited Pinkie is goddamn annoying. She’s a great baker and she really does love her some Fluttershy lovin’, but Jesus Christ on a chicken’s ass, Pinkie can be annoying.

This is the shit I had to put up with on the train to Rainbow Falls.

“Yes! Best day ever!” Pinkie squealed. “We’re all going to the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange! And not just going – we’re accompanying a princess on an official royal duty!”

“Shut up!” I demanded. “We already know!”

“There always has to be a princess at the Exchange,” Twilight explained, perhaps trying to get a word in edgewise. “Last year was Princess Cadance, this year it’s me. It's just a formality. I'm sure none of the other ponies will even notice I'm here.”

“I can…guarantee they won’t notice,” I offered.

Twilight stared at me for a second and then shook her head. “I think I’ll take my chances.”

We continued on into the Exchange. Fluttershy found a small statuette of a bunny to fawn over. “Oh, my goodness!”

“You said it,” Rarity replied. The Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange is simply divine. You can get anything you want here!”

“Don’t I know it,” I said happily.

They all threw me suspicious looks, which I ignored. I noticed that I had been doing a lot of that lately. Maybe I had been giving less and less of a damn lately. Perhaps at this late stage in the game I knew my plans were going to come to fruition and had begun to relax and rest on my laurels. The game was still on, but the ball was in my court. I had basically constructed the most elaborate game of all from the ruins of the universe and was just about to score the winning move. It was the greatest game.

And you just lost the game. Lulz.

Anyway, at the Exchange I split off from the main group and went looking for stuff. A young filly wearing a headscarf and sunglasses waved me over.

I stopped at her stall. She lowered her sunglasses. “Hey Valiant. It’s me.”

I nodded to Sweetie Belle. “How’s it going?”

“I set up in the Crystal Empire under an assumed name.” She shrugged. “It’s not the best, but I’m making do.”

“Good to hear that. Oh, and I have a tip for you. Don’t drink the water there.”

Sweetie looked confused, but nodded. “Okay. Good to see you.”

“You too, kid.”

I moved away, looking for things that I wanted from other vendor stalls. I happened on a pony with a vat of thallium to trade.

I squinted at the label and asked, “What’s pony thallium? Is it any different than the regular stuff?”

“Well, I mean, it’s nothing like dragon thallium or buffalo thallium,” he said.

“Yes, but what’s the difference?”

“Um, I’m not sure.” He shrugged. “I got this stuff in trade myself.”

“So if I take this pony thallium and use it to make electronics for a T-1000 liquid metal terminator robot, will it come out pony shaped by default?”

“Um…”

I shook my head. “I guess I don’t really care. I mean, a T-1000 liquid metal terminator could easily reshape either way so it doesn’t really matter. Good enough for me.”

I rejoined with Twilight as Pinkie was trying to auction off her books. I arrived dragging my newly acquired pony thallium vat. Twilight glanced at it. “Where did you get that?”

“I traded for it. That’s what everyone is supposed to do here, right?”

“I didn’t see you carrying anything to trade.” Twilight facehoofed. “Oh, you were probably carrying it in your hammerspace, right?” Her face took a harder expression. “I swear, Valiant, one of these days you’re going to drive me mad and I think we all know how that turns out.”

“No, I didn’t trade anything for it. I bought it.”

Twilight frowned. “As the Princess on duty to make sure trades are fair, I don’t think I can allow that.”

“Why not? Buying things is just trading money for goods and services.”

Twilight did not have a snappy comeback to that. Both of us tuned back in to whatever it was Pinkie was saying just in time to catch, “-double Princess!”

“I think I’m going to get out of here,” I said.

“Wait, before you go,” Twilight said, “What do you need that much thallium for?”

“This pony thallium vat?” I asked. “Well, I could certainly use it for advanced electronics. I was thinking about getting into quantum circuitry and computing.”

Me with a quantum supercomputer clearly was a troubling thought to Twilight. She knew I was a hardware guy, and maybe guessed that once I conquered software I would be unstoppable.

I dragged the pony thallium vat away, humming under my breath. “I’ve got a lovely pony thallium vat, dum dee dum. A twist of the wrist, a flick of the stick, and that’s all right with that.”

I spotted Fluttershy and Rainbow at the In-N-Oat burger stand harassing a handicapped pony. But then they made him lunch, which totally didn’t excuse their earlier actions but was a nice gesture, I guess.

I wandered around a little more, taking in the Discord-lamp stand, the chicken statue stand, and a few other oddities that I couldn’t see why anyone would trade for. Along the way I found a bear call that someone had dropped. “Hey, neat.”

It worked pretty well. I hadn’t intended for bears to maul several ponies, but it’s not like I wanted it to happen.

The Exchange after that was a huge mess. Twilight got called to clean it up. Princess duties can be a pain.

I saw an orthrus running free with a chain dangling from its collars. A big two-headed dog causes quite a stir.

Somewhere in all that commotion, Fluttershy got traded into slavery. I swear, the situation kept getting more and more ridiculous.

Fortunately, through copious magic and probably a little brainwashing, Twilight got things sorted out. It took some bartering to get Fluttershy back since the trade had been legal and all, but Rainbow Dash eventually had to give up her prized special edition Daring Do book.

I knew Equestria was an evil diarchy, but I hadn’t realized it was the kind of society where you could get a slave for the price of one book. Sigh. I really should talk to Luna about this and maybe go threaten Celestia.

“Well, I was only supposed to stay with that pony until the orthrus was properly trained,” Fluttershy said as we rode the train back to Ponyville. “Really, it was more like an indentured servitude than slavery.”

“Ugh, worse than that, I’m stuck with this stupid dog!” Rainbow complained. The orthrus gave her two sloppy licks. Pets were not normally allowed on the train, but no conductor was brave enough to throw the dog off. Or the orthrus, either.

“At least you finally have a pet of your own so you can come to our pet meetups,” Fluttershy reminded her.

“But I didn’t get the book I wanted!” Rainbow whined.

“Well, what do you know?” said Twilight, digging through her stash. “I found my copy of Daring Do and the Sapphire Statue.”

“I’ll give you five bits for it,” I said. “It’s a long train trip and I’m bored.”

“What?” Rainbow demanded. “I want that book, even if it’s not a special first edition!”

“Valiant makes a very reasonable argument,” Twilight replied. “He has need of it and has proposed a worthwhile exchange.”

“Great,” I said with a grin. “We’ll convert you to capitalism yet, Twilight.”

Twilight stared at me for a long moment and then tossed the book out the window. “Oops.”

We rode the rest of the way back in relative silence, arriving in Ponyville after the moon had come up. Getting off the train, Rarity invited us to the fashion show she had set up. It was apparently going to be lacking something because she hadn’t managed to find anything suitable at the Exchange. Neither had Applejack. The bear incident had kind of put a damper on trading.

“I have to figure out what to do with this thing,” Rainbow grumbled, tugging at the orthrus’ leash.

“Hey, where’s Spike?” Twilight asked. “I hope the bears didn’t get him.”

“I’m sure he’s fine,” I said.

Rainbow had to take care of the orthrus and Twilight hurried away to make sure Spike hadn’t been eaten or something. The rest of us followed Rarity to the show.

Most of the models were just locals. It wasn’t one of Rarity’s super fancy shows. Then Sunset appeared.

She was wearing a dress that was similar to the little black one I had seen her in previously but cut more elegantly and more revealing. It was accented with complementary accessories and carefully crafted jewelry.

As she walked the runway, a stallion standing near the stage grinned and eyed her up lustily. It was clear that he had practically popped a stiffy at the mere sight of her. Sproing!

That, by the way, is the sound of someone getting knocked the hell out by an extendo boxing glove.

Sunset blinked in surprise but then looked down at me from the stage with a smile.

“Sorry,” I said. “I can’t control this thing.”


Far out on the eastern ocean, well out of sight of land it waited. It paid the waves and moonlight no heed. Small ocean creatures approached curiously, but knew not what to make of it. The seaponies kept their distance, fearful of the consequences to sapient beings of meddling in the affairs of things they did not understand.

It waited there, giving no indication of its purpose. Time would tell, but how many days or weeks would pass were unknown. It simply waited. It would wait until the time was right. Nopony knew it was there.

Of course I knew about it. I knew everything.

Hahahaha, no, of course that statement won’t come back to bite me in the ass.

PreviousChapters Next