• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 31,727 Views, 4,344 Comments

A Dream - totallynotabrony



A not so standard human-in-Equestria story including but not limited to: democracy, tequila, and robots.

  • ...
208
 4,344
 31,727

PreviousChapters Next
It's About Time

I opened the library door for the approaching ponies. “Hey everyone. You look hungry.”

“I reckon,” said Applejack. “That hay fever really takes it outta ya.”

“It was terrible!” moaned Pinkie.

“I was so sick I couldn’t eat anything for a whole day,” admitted Rainbow.

“Really?” said Twilight, coming to the door. “Well come inside, I’m sure we can find something for you to eat.”

“I’m quite sure,” said Rarity.

“I’m going out,” I said, walking past the incoming ponies. I had to get away from Twilight and her crazy search for the local vampire. If nothing else, I would giggle too much and give the secret away.

I wasn’t sure how Rarity would react to being found out. Worst case, we might have to start a local chapter of Vampires Anonymous after all.

I took a look at the prototype robot that was being readied for delivery to the Mares in Black research team. It still needed some work, but that could wait. It had enough systems online that it was useable.

I got everything fired up and lumbered down to Sweet Apple Acres. I was experimenting with my still, and needed some apples. Hard cider, anyone?

I found Big Macintosh and Braeburn bucking in the orchard.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” I asked.

“We’re applebuckin’,” said Braeburn.

“It’s funny because you’re both in the Apple family.”

“Is that one of them double entendres?” asked Mac.

“Maybe. Anyway, I could use a bushel, if you’d be so kind. How’s the mechanics, Braeburn?”

“About like usual,” he replied, flexing his metal joints. “Sleeping is still difficult, though.”

His electronic eye couldn’t be shut off, and his electronic ear was extra-sensitive. His bed had to be in a very dark, very quiet place. The upside was that he was basically superpony.

“Break any trees lately?” I asked.

“No, not since last week.”

“Well, that’s good.” I gave Mac a couple of bits for the apples and headed back to town.

The still was set up outside the library. I got the apples added to the mix. While I was there, I checked the miniature petroleum refinery I had set up. I was doing my best to obtain passable rocket fuel. Yes, it was going to be used in the robot.

Setting up the refining process was remarkably difficult. Sure, you could separate the crude with just a little heat, but creating high quality products required advanced chemistry…or magic.

I’d had to promise Twilight a sizable chunk of Valiantco® stock to get her to help. Luckily, the company was still basically worthless. At least I’d managed to bargain her down from a position on the board of directors, which is what she originally wanted from me.

Satisfied that the crude was bubbling like in The Beverly Hillbillies, I decided to go over to Sugarcube Corner for a slice of cake. I was met in the middle of the street by Twilight.

“I thought you were back at the library,” I said.

“You have to listen to me, Valiant. I came from the future to prevent something terrible from happening!”

“So…you are back at the library and here?”

“Well, basically, I guess. You know, it’s really nice to have someone to talk to who doesn’t get all freaked out by time travel.”

“Glad to help, but since when are you able to travel through time and space all by yourself and still stay in the same dimension?”

“In a week, I’ll discover time travel spells in the Star Swirl the Bearded wing of the Canterlot Archives.”

“Oh, I’ll be sure to mention it to you, then. Now, what kind of terrible thing were you trying to prevent?”

“Oh, it was horrible! I just barely escaped with my—” she disappeared in a flash of light.

“Well, that was weird.” I shrugged and started forward again. Cake waits for no one.

Later, I trotted down to the Town Hall to check up on my drilling permit. While I didn’t yet have the market for it, I was investigating sinking a second oil well. The demand would rise to meet the supply. I hoped.

That done, I hobnobbed with the mayor a little about converting the town to run on oil heat, rather than wood. I offered her campaign contributions, but she didn’t seem to understand the concept of political lobbying. Stupid appointed positions.

Afterwards, I headed back to the library. I wondered if Twilight’s friends were still there. Opening the door, I stepped in something sticky.

The nice thing about being quadrupedal is that you don’t have to lean over very far to examine the floor. There were little red drops on the wood.

“Hello?” I called.

“Oh, hi, Valiant,” said Rarity, coming out of the kitchen.

“Where is everyone else?” I asked.

“They had a little accident.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Are you blind? Just look at this place! Tomato juice everywhere! The rest of them went down to the creek to clean off by swimming. I volunteered to stay behind and clean up.”

“You’re the nicest vampire I know, Rarity.”

Author note:
Self pandering time. I’ve got a new story.
The Cutie Mark Crusaders Get Lost in North Carolina

PreviousChapters Next