• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 9,091 Views, 778 Comments

Eyes Wide Shut - Daemon McRae



Spike, being a young male, notices certain things. Certain, awesome things about the world. Like the fact that every mare he knows is naked. And he can't stop thinking about it. But hell, who'd want to?

Comments ( 90 )

LIKE A BOSS, SPIKE!! Keep this me going!! We'll shall remember you as the first dragon to point the naked thing out!

Rarity: naked and proud of it! :duck:

I was fine with the other ending; but this one is just a good. Sorry about all the so-called fans who whined about the last chapter.

I just wanted this story to be continued. This ending is more conclusive than the last one though. I guess my whole schtick was that I wanted this story to go on for longer.... meh....

I stand by what I said last though, I look forward to whatever you write next.

Some people, huh? Sorry you got swamped with butthurt fans, dude. (Or girl. I dunno, but I'm leaning more towards guy.)

3600548

I'm a dude. You got it right.

Honestly I liked how it ended the first time. It was more fitting to the comedic theme of the story. This one where everyone lives happily ever after felt a bit out of place. Still good work though

Fuck everyone. The original ending was awesome.

Next time people express their displeasure at your choice on ending YOUR story, tell them to write their own chapter if it upsets them so much. I enjoyed the original ending...guys HATE going to those classes.

Now this ending is contrived.

I feel the main reason why people complained about the original ending so much was because they enjoyed reading the story a lot, and that the fact that it was ending is what really made them upset.

This is the canon ending.

Usually alternate endings are very favorable. However, this seems rushed and OOC. I can see good reason from you to do so, having to please angry customers.


Still, your original ending is way more hilarious. I hope you make stories that cause huge mindfucks and comedic downhills.

Honestly people? I liked both endings, and would've been fine with the original. Feminist propaganda? Whatever. Also! Why get upset over an ending to a short comedic fan-fic? Jeez! Get over it!

Maybe you can keep running with it and write a few more alternate endings, just for kicks. Might ease the pain of feeling like you had to write this.

Still, I liked both of them and both were just hilarious. It's just that one is happier than the other. :moustache:

3600599
well fuck you too, sir.

3600674
fuck you aswell, sir

3600941 I think I found your jimmies, slightly rustled.

Honestly, this ending feels more in line with the original theme of the story, since really, Cadence's reactions seemed way over the top, even if they were understandable. This resolution, however, is how society actually works: a new event results in society or individuals adapting to change. Besides, turnabout is fair play. The mares get to check out the stallion's all day, too.

However, the original ending was also hilarious. Well done with both.

I love both ending dm I consider them thenGood ending for Spike and the bad ending for Spike lol now write a neutral ending with Celestia :trollestia:

Okay, I'm really sorry to have to do this but:

You appear to have fallen victim to a phenomenon known as Magnum Opus Dissonance.

"You know, it's funny how wrong an artist can be about his own work. The one composition of Tchaikovsky's that he really detested was his 'Nutcracker Suite', which is probably the most popular thing he ever wrote."
ā€”Deems Taylor, Fantasia

This is a surprisingly (horrifyingly) common occurrence. It's rather unfortunate, too, because this ending is far superior in a lot of ways.

The characters react reasonably. Luna grows as a character. The ending is final as opposed to the other chapter, which left a lot of open ends (Such as how likely it was that Twilight Sparkle and Time Turner would hire a lawyer regarding the whole thing for its highly questionable legality, as lampshaded here)... Cadance is obviously being portrayed as an antagonist so her conclusion - normalization of the scenario rather than indulgence in her petty whims - is far less toxic to an audience as an epilogue (If it were situated near the climax? Sure!) And above all this was funny. I laughed.

Maybe Rarity should have been a bit more dubious or mixed in her reaction to Spike but her explanation was, as the Grups would call it, DANOUTTADAN.

Good story, I hope to see more from you and I'm sorry such a memetic scenario has cursed you.

3601113
I agree 100%.

The alt end is far superior to the original ending.

I am quite happy to see a well thought out and explained argument that supports my viewpoint (As this means I don't have to go to the trouble of explaining what it is I didn't like about the original).
:twilightsmile::raritywink::pinkiehappy::pinkiesmile::heart::heart::moustache:

3601113
I agree with your reasons for why this ending is technically superior.

I also read both endings and im sorry to say i am of those that preferred the alternative one. In the army we have a TON of mandatory briefings like these that everybody dreads when they are announced, though they are there for a good reason. In mlp though it seems contradictory and just added a few things to my headcanon about cadence that makes me hate her even more than i did before.

The story as a whole was very entertaining and went straight to my favs list.

this ending is so much better :moustache:

Huzzah the end has been doubled!

Just ask anypony, I even ask]

Got a rogue bracket here.

Actually if you put that same bracket on the link in the AN, it'll fix it.

As it is don't act like an ass, especially to your fans. I mean if you can't take critical feedback why the hell are you posting it on a public forum like Fimfiction? Otherwise how will you improve as a writer? Osmosis? Doesn't quite work that way (I've tried).

3601518
Well, I think there's a difference between critical feedback and inarticulate bitching, which is what a lot of the comments were before Daemon added the alternate ending.

Granted, yes, feedback is important - but remember, it's not your story. The author shouldn't feel strong-armed into writing something they don't believe fits with what they had in mind for the characters in the first place.

Things like this:

I won't be downvoting this story, but I am removing it from my favorites. Hope you don't botch up the endings for your other stories.

Wow..Good story, horrible ending that brings it down. :applejackunsure:

Please make an alternate ending where Spike makes a clean getaway.
This ending just didn't do it for me.

... are petty, and frankly, insulting. If you have feedback to give, give it. Don't bitch and expect someone to put a band-aid on it. It's like seeing an army of fans trying to start a petition or fund a Kickstarter to coerce George R.R. Martin to write a scene where Ned Stark doesn't die.

3601617 You went and picked the most petty post when there were several well thought out ones that stated what was wrong with the chapter.

Yep, as soon as people voice their distaste for something they're butthurt .
I don't like either ending .
The first was unfair towards the maled and it wasn't funny at all .
The second ending was just happylie ever after and it wasn't funny .

However, this story was hilarious and i won't let a bad enfing mar my enjoyment of it .
Good job

3601635

Let's try this again.

...and inarticulate bitching, which is what a lot of the comments were before Daemon added the alternate ending.

I'm not saying they were all petty douchebags. But enough of them definitely were. It still feels like this alternate ending was brought on less by well thought-out arguments and more by the high-pitched keening of the self-entitled reader.

Huh. Having read both end chapters in one sitting, I can honestly say that I prefer the first one. Why on Earth were people upset about it? Let me go check that blog...

Feminist propaganda? Are you freaking kidding me? :facehoof:

Oh well. It was still a most enjoyable story. Thank you for it. :twilightsmile:

Also, "OH SHIT ITā€™S LUNA" should always be a character's reaction upon realizing that the princess of the night is present.

3600573
Oh goodie. I'll go treat myself to a cookie or something.

I understand it must have been annoying with all the comments about the original ending and feeling the need to write an alternate ending to sate the fans. Anyway, it's a pretty awesome story to have developed said fanbase in the first place and I was loving every second of it. Comparing the two endings I think the new one is funnier because:

1. Spike 'wins' and we've all been rooting for him.

2. Cadence and Luna are called out on being drama queens making their eccentric behaviour even funnier by contrast.

3. Forced weekend courses on sexual harrassment seemed excessive in the first place. I know it was for comedic effect but somehow I didn't laugh as hard when the punchline was revealed. That ending makes it seem like Spike 'loses' and that Luna's and Cadence's plan is never questioned but simply put into action.

Twilight's and Derpy's comments in this alternate ending were awesome too. Overall I enjoyed the story and I think both endings served my needs well enough. I won't stop laughing at the first 8 and a half chapters just because the ending 'doesn't please me.' The only thing the new ending did for me was to put a bit of icing on the cake. We got to hear Twilight say 'I got laid' and we also finally figured out that Rarity has been on top of this problem for ages. These little gold nuggets were not present in the original ending and I'm a bit of a completionist, willing to watch the extra material on a DVD (or in this case read an alternate ending) to uncover a few more details like Rarity's approach to the 'problem.'

After hearing that this new ending was added (sorta like Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC), I came back. I am not disappointed. I have favorited the story again.

And for those who loved the original ending you don't have to read this current chapter... just end the tale at the last one.

Regardless of which ending I liked better, I'm sorry that people complained so much. It's a comedic fan-fiction about Spike being horny and snarky, and people were mad that the original ending made a joke involving something else being out of character from the show? Oy. :ajbemused:

That said, even if you were annoyed about having to write it, the new ending was definitely funny and well-done too. :yay:

3601617>>3601648 Actually it wasn't petty of me to unfavorite a story because the ending wasn't satisfactory; it's called giving feedback. Audience dislike of an ending causing the creator(s) to change their works isn't a bad thing, and it has happened in other media numerous times (not just with Mass Effect 3's notorious ending). Ever see the movie Dodgeball, the comedy with Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller? The original ending of that movie was supposed to be where Ben Stiller's character's (a class-A jerk) wins with the dodge ball hit on Vince's character. The pre-screening audience hated it so much that he changed it to the ending we now see in theaters/on-the-DVD where the good guy wins. Daemon_McRae did the same thing to appease the readers who felt that the tonal shift of the original ending was so jarring that it detracted from the rest of the story.

Even better, he didn't erase the original ending for this story, but added a new chapter to the end for those who thought the previous one was just completely out of left field. Meaning folks like you who liked how it ended the first time can still read it as many times as you want instead of it being gone, forever drifting in the ether.

But you will still consider me to be petty, probably... but that's fine.... at least I am in good company -> 3600599. By the way, nice to meetcha, Pot... my name's Kettle.

3602010
The difference between this, and, say, a pre-screening for a film, is Daemon isn't getting any sort of monetary gain from writing this fic. He's not gaining fame or fortune from writing a funny story about Spike popping ninja boners. He wrote it because he felt it was fun, because he wanted to, and because he thought you guys would like it.

It's like giving someone a fucking Christmas present only to watch them open the box, say "this sucks," and then deal with them asking you for a new one instead. That's the point I'm trying to make here: feedback is great, whether it's negative or positive! You're actively helping the author grow and learn. But just flat-out saying "this is bullshit" is just plain rude.

Gotta admit. I don't really see what everyone was poopin their pampers about, as the previous ending was just fine, perhaps even better than this one. Not only that but this chapter alone is pretty much exactly what one could imagine happening in the last chapter, where everyone gets clothes and mves on and shit, minus the trouble and sexual class.

raw19 #40 · Dec 9th, 2013 · · 1 ·

I enjoyed both endings, truthfully, though for the original i'll confess to not enjoying it quite as much as the latter due entirely to me not fully understanding exactly what Spike's punishment was. :unsuresweetie:

Which is probably just a personal issue of mine.

Regardless, i still found it enjoyable and this fic as a whole was most excellent and one i am glad i was able to read. I am sorry you had to go through what you did and do hope it doesn't effect you writing more great tales in the future, as i would look forward to reading more. Barring extraneous circumstances, i.e. if an author explicitly promises one ending but then delivers another, no one deserves to go through that. :rainbowdetermined2:

I prefer this ending because the other one is feminist or 'Murican bullshit
Toodles

Ooh! I could have lived with the first one, but two endings? Gosh I love alternate possibilities!

I can definitely feel how this chapter is trying to make it all rainbows-and-kittens. But hey, the first ending was good, although this one is great, so as long as you're proud of the first ending, I'd say you did a great job :pinkiesmile:

3601648 Most of the comments were level headed and stated clearly what they thought was wrong. Complaining about something in the story is one thing but complaining about people complaining is utterly pointless, especially when your biggest gripe is that you don't agree with us.

3602242 I call bullshit. NOONE on Fimfiction gets paid for their stories here. If you can't take people giving their opinion then why the hell are you here talking down to everyone like you're the single authority of everything right. What's worse is you're white knighting for someone who has already dealt with it and moved on.

Personally, I think both fall a bit short (Although I will admit to chuckling a bit more at this one), but overall this just seems like a hard thing to end at this point, but it would probably be even harder to continue. Honestly, and no offense, but the premise seemed like it would be best for a one-shot. The fact that you managed to keep it going and still pretty funny for so long speaks pretty well for your writing abilities.

I like both. The first has just about everyone getting bit in the ass by karma even if they don't deserve it, and the second ends with the dawning of a new golden era. I can't choose between sadistically spectating suffering and the promise of a grand unified broship.

I thought the first chapter you posted before this one was a fine ending. In fact, I thought it was pretty funny.

Good work and thanks for giving us a highly bemusing, and at some points, very hilarious story. :pinkiehappy:



~ Super-Brony12

Well, this was another great ending. It's like comparing apples to oranges: they're both good, and for different reasons.

I like both endings, although some of Cadance's dialogue I prefer over the true ending.

Rush and Pony on!
T4E

I love both endings.

Despite having their differences, at least both Time Turner and Muster got laid. :pinkiehappy:

I enjoyed this story. The ending was alright, y'know, but still one hell of a story. Good on ya mate.:moustache:

Login or register to comment