Royal Canterlot Library 991 members · 638 stories
Comments ( 508 )
  • Viewing 451 - 500 of 508

Story Name: Futa Mares: An Edgar Allan Poe Story
Word Count: 1,136
Tags: MLP:FIM, Sex, Fetish, Comedy, Crossover, Human, Pinkie, Other
What It's About: The Raven but it's a pony and instead of his dead wife it's dicks.
Why it's awesome: A thoughtful examination of the internalised homophobia felt by many straight men, that which prompts them to reject and flee from any thought of desire involving other penises. How it prompts the idea of 'ungaying' the concept, applying penises to otherwise-cisgender females, with conflicting results. And how it, in turn, makes those desires all the more tempting, as forbidden fruit so often is.

Except it's written in what Fimfiction's foremost poetry expert identified as 'trochaic tetrameter triple-rhyme', which is 'not easy to keep fresh, and it repeatedly made [horizon] smile.'

Deep within me there was growing paranoia of just knowing,
Knowledge that I hid away, and yet was always present there.
While I knew I still liked fillies with vaginas spread like lilies,
I imagined them with willies, and my cock seemed not to care—
In my head, dicks were disgusting, but my cock just didn't care—
Proud, it stood up in the air.

Story Name: Into The Mirror
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/448442/into-the-mirror
Word Count: 5,001
Tags: Drama, Sad, Slice Of Life, Suicide/Self Harm, Death
What It’s About: Rarity battles an eating disorder.
Why It’s Awesome: This story was real. You could read this story and forget it was about ponies at all- it was more like a journal of experiences. It talks about a touchy subject in a way that educates and helps others understand motivations behind it. There was also a link in the author’s note for people with eating disorders to get help, and I think using your skills to help others should definitely be rewarded.

Story Name: A Simple Question
Word Count: 5155
Tags: [Romance]
What It's About: Sunburst joins Cadance and Shining Armor for a seemingly simple game of Ogres and Oubliettes which winds up changing his life.
Why It's Awesome: The story supercedes its simple premise with fantastic chemistry between the characters and a great sense of humor. While keeping all the characters themselves, the author manages to make them feel incredibly real. The whole thing was just an absolute joy to read, sucking me in quickly and keeping hold of me for its entirey.

Story Name: One Last Snap
Word Count: 3,178
Tags: [Sad]
What It's About: Not wanting to spend a moment of life without Fluttershy, DIscord asks Twilight for a favor. (Sorry, not spoiling it.)
Why It's Awesome: Especially after the finale, the depth of emotion this one-shot is is breathtaking. In addition, it provides an amazing bookend for Discord's character and had some people, according to some comments, IN TEARS while reading this. Fitting that the writer's pename is "Somber" because this is a very somber tale done right.

Story Name: A Fading Tradition
Word Count: 2,212
Tags: [Sad] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Pharnyx looks on at what the hive has become under Thorax's leadership.
Why It's Awesome: This takes place before Pharnyx's introduction, but does a great job at keeping him sympathetic, but true to his character. Introspective stories like this are always an interesting read and this one was a great one about a character we don't really see that much of.

Story Name: Zealots of Canterlot
Word Count: 9,032
Tags: [Sad] [Slice of Life] [Tragedy]
What It's About: Sunset processes Sci-Twi's suicide at her funeral.
Why It's Awesome: I have to imagine the author has gone through something like this himself because each and every word in this story is laced with an intensity that I haven't seen in a long time. The second chapter is really where this story shines, as Sunset gets a moment alone with Sci-Twi's corpse, and that chapter might be one of the most emotionally intense ones I've read in a while. It realistically portrays someone mourning over another's suicide extremely well. I can't recommend this one enough.

Story Name: Role Reversal
Word Count: 25,551
Tags: [Romance] [Drama] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: In a twist on the Anon-a-Miss story, Sunset formulates a plan to find out who she is, no matter the cost to herself.
Why It's Awesome: I think this might be my favorite interpretation of the Anon-A-Miss formula. SamRose delivers on excellent suspense and some interesting character drama between Sunset and Princess Twilight. Don't want t spoil more than that but it's definitely worth a read.

Story Name: Are Humans Evil?
Word Count: 19,811
Tags: [Drama] [Sad]
What It's About: Science Professor Jacob Klein has been housing Twilight Sparkle on Earth for the past few months and has become a bit of an international celebrity on the back of it. However, once Twilight discovers the Holocaust, she doubts if humanity and Equestrians can co-exist.
Why It's Awesome: This might be one of the better stories that are mainly about humanity. First off, I love the twist that someone told the government immediately about Twilight. This is what makes the story's premise so interesting. However, the best part of this story comes with Jacob's talk with Twilight about the capability of both humans and Equestrians to commit a vicious atrocity. It is a very in-depth dive into what it means to be human, and combined with the unique premise, makes for a great story from redandready45.

Story Name: The Scream
Word Count: 1,000
Tags: [Dark] [Random]
What It's About: As Twilight settles in for the night, she never would have expected what would wake her up.
Why It's Awesome: This one of those stories that capture a deep kind of unsettling in only 1,000 words. I don't want to spoil much because part of the story's appeal comes from how unsettled you are reading it.

Story Name: A better Way to be Dad
Word Count: 2,190
Tags: [Comedy] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Tirek finally asks Cozy Glow about her parents.
Why It's Awesome: This was one thing I was hoping the show would do with the Legion of Doom. Chrysalis, Cozy Glow, and Tirek's dynamic really worked well here, and compound that with the heartwarming aspect of Cozy Glow finding something of a father in Tirek is adorable. This is something I really wish they did in S9, but now it's here on Fimfiction.

Story Name: Happy Endings
Word Count: 2,909
Tags: [Romance] [Sad] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Taking place in-between "Between Dawn and Dusk" and "The Ending of the End," Twilight and Sunset watch a movie and talk about the future.
Why It's Awesome: This story does a great job showing how Sunset and Twilight's lives are changing. It's a poignant story about progress and, in all actuality, it's almost like this story takes "The Last Problem" and scales it down to just a simple conversation in an apartment. There's a quaintness and sincerity to it that makes a slightly deeper impact than a bombastic grand finale in SOME ways.

Story Name: A Trip Down Memory Lane
Word Count: 12,215
Tags: [Random] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Discord and Luna traverse the timeline to correct the damages done during the events of "The Cutie Remark."
Why It's Awesome: The exploration of Discord and Luna's relationship is what makes this story. Bith they're characters are written very well, and the idea of them reminescing on their pasts and present makes for a very interesting read. Also, Wise Cracker nails Discord's comedic capabilities.

Story Name: Secrets of the Mane Six
Word Count: 67,689
Tags: [Adventure] [Mystery] [Thriller]
What It's About: After ascending, Twilight is told by Celestia she must make a journey to the Underworld. This journey leads Twilight to discover some pretty interesting new things about her friends.
Why It's Awesome: Starscribe does an amazing job essentially innovating the world of Equestria. As Twilight goes on to discover more and more, it's interesting how all these new discoveries impact her character. This story really combines worldbuilding and a compelling story extremely well and definitely deserves a read.

Story Name: City of Lights
Link To Story:

TCity of Lights
A young woman decides to take her life; another victim to the City of Lights.
garatheauthor · 2.4k words  ·  52  6 · 980 views

Word Count: 2,356
Tags: [Dark] [Tragedy]
What It's About: From the long description:

Rarity sits in her living room, far from Canterlot, enjoying what is to be her last glass of wine for the evening. Before her is a pad of paper, to record her thoughts, and a cocktail of narcotics that will be more than adequate at ending her life.

Another life lost in the City of Lights.

Why It's Awesome: This story has a hauntingly beautiful portrayal of Rarity, and is a masterclass in tone and atmosphere. The prose is exquisitely in-character, and it's a great exploration of a grim-but-possible future for EqG Rarity.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Why no links? Some of those are hard to find by title alone!

Thanks for letting me know that last one was complete, though. :)

Oh! Geez! You know I haven't done these in forever when I didn't put in the links. Hold on! I'll fix them.

Update: Done!

Story Name: Dear Princess Sunbutt and To: Anon, From HRH Sunbutt
Word Count: 9,203 and 12,189 respectively (at the moment, these are still ongoing)
Tags: Both are [Comedy] [Random] [Anthology]
What It's About: Anon takes over Spike's job of dictating Twilight's letters to Celestia, though he has his own particular way of communicating.
Why It's Awesome: These stories (written by different authors) is the most popular trend on Fimfiction right now. Even if it's just through letters, the shenanigans of Twilight, Anon, Celestia, and Luna (sometimes ft. Pinkie Pie) are absolutely hilarious. Also, the names that Anon comes up for Celestia and Twilight never fail to be hilarious. I think both these stories deserve a spot for not just being funny, but also because of how they managed to seamlessly coexist with each other. It just started with 2merr writing "Dear Princess Sunbutt," then Snow starts writing Celestia's responses, and now the two sometimes they even acknowledge each other. These two together just make the biggest comedic sensation on Fimfiction right now and deserve to be monitored for consideration upon their story's completion.

Whelp, first story. Here is is for all to read and critique
Story Name: Miles Away
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/425160/miles-away
Word Count: 109,994
Tags: [Slice of Life] [Romance] [Drama]
What It's About: It is about a Unicorn in the fictional city of Hoovesiana who makes friends with a online user on a online platform and ends up becoming a couple. It also follows his real life issues of growing up and facing fears.
Why It's Awesome: This story is a different take on a romance story because it focuses more on long distance relationships and shows the accurate struggles with it, as well as some positives. It I'd also based on my true story with long distance relationships.
Oh, And Also: Its long. REALLY LONG.*****

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

FYI, we don't accept self-promotion, nor is this really a group meant for critiquing. If I knew any off the top of my head, I would direct you to them.

Story Name: To Belong
Word Count: 13,273
Tags: [Drama] [Sad] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Applejack visits Rainbow Dash's parents for the first time since they've become engaged. However, in the heat of their excitement, Rainbow's parents touch a nerve for Applejack
Why It's Awesome: I really like the idea of using Applejack's relationships to explore her feelings towards the concept of family. All four characters are characterized really well, but the strength of this story comes with the character work between Applejack and Windy Whistles. This story may have a bit of an obvious set-up, but the way it's executed could not have been done better.

Story Name: Why Don't They Want Me?
Word Count: 3.683
What It's About: After an altercation with another student, Gallus is brought in to Head Mare Starlight's office to explain himself.
Why It's Awesome: I don't know how Rated Ponystar does it, but they just keep managing to crank out great story after great story nonstop. This one explores Gallus' mindset about being an orphan and how it truly affects him deep down. The angry rant Gallus goes on is an amazing piece of writing that can express Gallus' blinding rage with every word. Not only is it heartwrenching, but also kind of awe-inspiring and cathartic. This is one of my favorite character studies of Gallus on this site.

Story Name: Forgive and Forget
Word Count: 8,997
Tags: [Romance] [Dark] [Comedy]
What It's About: Starlight and Twilight wake up one morning having no memory of the night before. However, upon recovering those memories, consequences reveal themselves.
Why It's Awesome: I really like how this set up is handled. While we don't precisely see the buildup that led to this story's inciting incident, hearing Starlight tell it really helps her likeability in this story. Also, I think what really makes this story for me is everything that happens at the end with Trizie, Starlight, and Twilight. Everything about this scene works amazingly in context and even laced in a bit of tragedy on multiple fronts. Definitely one worth checking out.

Story Name: Carry Me Home
Word Count: 14,866
Tags: [Sad] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Spike is always willing to lend a helping paw, or a ride, to a friend in need.
Why It's Awesome: I love how this story is framed. Each chapter may feel like an isolated incident, but they all share one common theme, aging. Spike carrying each of his friends comes about as a consequence of aging. Seeing the effect it has on Spike and the Mane Six is a resigned kind of tragedy that's difficult to pull off. I love how the story doesn't explicitly have to say that each of its chapters is connected and relies on the reader to finish painting the full picture, and I think that's what makes this story really stand out from the crowd.

Story Name: Somnambulism
Word Count: 8,913
Tags: [Romance] [Mystery] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: After a weekend of hanging out on their own, Gallus begins to wake up every morning to find Smolder cuddles right next to him. Will the Young Six be able to put a stop to this, and why exactly does Smolder wake up there of all places?
Why It's Awesome: This story really plays up Smolder and Gallus' chemistry together and I love it. Also, Scyphi really has a pulse on how to write dialogue-based comedy. Even though it's just words, you still get a sense of timing from this story's humor that works really well. And, in the end, they take the time to really make the relationship work.

Story Name: Glow in the Dark, Shine in the Sun
Word Count: 27,035
Tags: [Drama] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Cozy Glow is sent to live in the human world under the watchful eye of Sunset Shimmer. Can she be the one to reform her?
Why It's Awesome: This story is a sequel, but it's more of a sequel that expands upon an idea in the prequel so much that it takes a life of its own. The beauty of this story is how it treats Cozy's redemption, or more like, her desire to be redeemed. Cozy isn't redeemed by the story's end, but the progress she makes through the story is still a very satisfying tale about Cozy adapting to her new environment and realizing that she wants to change. Plus, Cozy and Sunset have a really great dynamic.

Story Name: Big Horseshoes
Word Count: 6,929
Tags: [Slice of Life]
What It's About: When Rumble gets an assignment to write an essay about his hero, he has trouble figuring out who to write about. Meanwhile, Thunderlane has to get through another day at work.
Why It's Awesome: I'll be the first to admit I'm a sucker for family-centric stories, so seeing this just put a smile on my face. The scenes with Thunderlane and Rumble together are the highlights, but I think my favorite is seeing Thunderlane go through his life the way he does to take care of his little brother. It really helps establish the relationship the two have in the show. Just a great family-centered piece.

Story Name: Snakes and Ladders
Word Count: 3,669
Tags: [Slice of Life]
What It's About: Rarity explains to Twilight why she's "a social-climbing bitch."
Why It's Awesome: This amazing introspective story dives into Twilight and Rarity's relationship with high society and how it's impacted their lives and pony's perceptions of them. It really helps dissect the whole idea of "It's not what you do, it's who you know" and how it applies in a world such as Equestria. Honestly, it's hard to put this into words because the thrill of this story is following their conversation and realize how much it actually makes sense. Monochromatic did a great job with this one.

Story Name: Not Enough Love
Word Count: 28,247
Tags: [Romance]
What It's About: Disillusioned after he gives up on Rarity, Spike is in a pretty depressed mindset. Only then does it give two other mares close to him the attempt to dull his pain. Who will win Spike's heart?
Why It's Awesome: I think I've called B_25 the best writer of Spike's character before, and I'll say it again. No one captures the essence of Spike more than him. Hence in this story, where not only does it show Spike put in a position he feels forced to choose between two ponies that mean the world to him, but it also tells a great metaphorical tale of relationships and how people look for one. When you read between the lines, this story is a brilliant depiction of finding the ideal relationship and pair that with the dynamics of our main trio, this might be one of B_25's best works yet.

Who's writing, and who's recommending, again?

Story Name: Broken Record
Word Count: 7,970
Tags: [Drama] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: All Rainbow Dash wanted to do was etch her name in the pages of history by being the fastest pony there ever was. She's taken records from so many ponies before her, but what happens when the shoe is on the other foot?
Why It's Awesome: If there was ever a "My Little Pony" epilogue series, this would be an amazing episode to put in it. This episode explicitly calls back to "Rarity Investigates!" to show how Rainbow's position in the narrative has flipped. However, it also is an important growth on her character journey. She became the best, but she won't be forever, so how does one who's entire life goal was "Be the Best" grapple with that? It almost feels like if MLP did a 30 for 30 (It's a thing ESPN does). Somber really got into Rainbow Dash's headspace for this one.

Story Name: Two Words
Word Count: 7,086
What It's About: Every Year, Twilight comes to the statue, but every year, she never hears what she wants to hear.
Why It's Awesome: This story really shows the tragedy in Twilight's philosophy regarding redemption and the toll it can take on someone, as evidenced by Spike's concern for her shown throughout the tale. Spike's introspection is really what makes this story stand out, but it also has great moments with Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow as well. Just a really great extension of the series.

Story Name: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow...
Word Count: 6,421
Tags: [Sad] [Slice of Life] [Tragedy]
What It's About: Twilight goes to talk to Discord at Fluttershy's grave.
Why It's Awesome: I know that the whole "immortality" thing has been explored a lot on this site, but DANG does MrSpartan absolutely pour his heart and soul into this story starring Twilight and Discord. The story mainly consists of the two entering into a philosophical debate about their lives' longevity and the morality of either keeping their friends around forever or letting them pass on. However, one very key thing that this story also includes is the emotional aspect. As much as it may be the right thing to not interfere with nature, it doesn't mean it isn't hard and Discord... Discord really embodies that here, especially considering he's the Lord of Chaos. There is REAL emotion put into this story here and that's why it still leaves me floored after every time I read it.

horizon
Group Admin

Don't worry, My Harshwhinnial was disqualified from an RCL feature due to the self-promotion you linked.

Since it was also written by a curator AND featured by the Pony Fiction Vault, that makes it TRIPLE disqualified. A new record! :trollestia:

Oh, oh my! Also, I would suggest these poems to read.
Tale of the Caged Bird
Tears of Black
King of the Mountain
Angel of the Snow
They are my personal favorites, and I hope that you like them all.
(Not my work, written by Golden Fang Ryu Shenron)

[Adult story embed hidden]

Monsters By Regidar
Word Count 3,786
Tags
Mature, Sex, Non-con, Dark, Tragedy, Twilight, Cadance, Shining Armor

Shining Armor & Cadance have a problem.

Despite the tags, this is NOT porn
I wouldn't waste your time with that
It is a serious look at a pedophile & the ethics of possible solutions
Also, Twilight's adult perspective on this is interesting

Story Name: Empty Horizons
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/316852/empty-horizons
Word Count: 185,695
Tags: [Adventure] [Sci-Fi] [Alt. Universe]
What It's About: A team of salvage divers uncovers the Mane 6 in trapped in cocoons far into the future of a damaged and broken Equestria, in a dying world lacking magic and the guidance of the Princesses.
Why It's Awesome: The world is carefully constructed and immersive to the point it feels real. The reactions of the Mane 6 in this new and cruel world, and the overarching mystery of what happened to the land they once knew, keeps you hooked until the end.
Oh, And Also: I can't wait for the rest of the series, the political intrigue on top of saving the world is pretty intense!

Story Name: Sol Point
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/363399/sol-point
Word Count: 52,757
Tags: [Romance] [Slice of Life]
What It's About: A thoughtful and introspective romantic romp with a slow-build relationship. There's a lot of fun character chemistry, it's a mellow and relaxing read with positive messages and lots of happy endings and character development.
Why It's Awesome: CoffeeBean was a fantastic writer, with a skill for the descriptive and bringing scenes to life in a lush, immersive way. His romance built between Discord and Celestia is genuine with a lot of focus on characters and their relationships with one another, their histories, and themselves.
Oh, And Also: Adapted from PMs:

Is it possible to nominate a deceased user? I'm sure that sounds bizarre, but I was thinking about my friend CoffeeBean. In hindsight, I should have nominated stuff of his when he was still here, but the story I would have thought of as the top candidate for the RCL was not finished and canceled (I was PMd how it would have gone, but that doesn't really count. I know Coffee did other interviews and got featured in SA pretty frequently, so maybe a kind of collective/tribute review would work in such an instance? He was a friend, and I worked to edit a few of his stories and bounce ideas off him. He was a great person and inspired writer, even in his rougher, earlier work still shows this uniqueness.

There's a variety of blogs and links I can provide about Coffee's passing if you needed them for any verification purposes.

Story Name: The Price Of Fame
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/467010/the-price-of-fame
Word Count: 1188
Tags: [Slice Of Life]
What It's About: Twilight Velvet reflects on the negative consequences of her kids being famous.
Why It's Awesome: You don't hear people talk about the downsides of fame, and you certainly don't hear a mother's perspective on the matter. This story shows a mother's wishes for her children, the way she worries for them, and the way she deals with sometimes being recognized because of their achievements. But most of all, it is a testimony to the fact that mothers will always see their children as their children first, something that those who are famous sorely need.

I am honored to recommend this story.

TRedheart's War
A nurse has seen it all. A combat medic has seen even more.
SockPuppet · 46k words  ·  460  15 · 5k views

This story tells the story of Nurse Redheart, and her time as a combat medic in the Royal Guard. The tale focuses on a short campaign, from its first skirmish through its explosive end. But it doesn't focus on the traditional heroes of war: instead, it is the story of the medics who sacrifice everything they have to protect everypony else. It's an intense, personal story, one that shows exactly why anypony would go to war, what sacrifices they make while they're gone, and the burdens they must bear after they come home.

One of the things I love most about this story is how it feels like a very natural fit into MLP canon. It's incredibly gory (more on that in a second), but it is set up in such a way that it makes complete sense why we haven't heard about it before. The ponies fight, in part, to protect others from the chaos in the world. We haven't heard about these battles because they were fought, in part, so we wouldn't have to. Additionally, every pony is given detailed, realistic motivations and goals--even Princess Cadance, who frames her battles in terms of love.

Next, the ponies written here are eminently human. Every single character, from Redheart herself down to one-off soldiers, reads like a complete and believable character, with a rich inner life full of their own hopes, dreams, and desires.

This, of course, makes it all the harder when those dreams are smashed and torn away.

I have two caveats to this story: the first is that it's really hard to read (In the best possible way, of course!). The story earns its "gore" tag, but earns it well. Sock Puppet is incredibly detailed in his descriptions of all the terrible injuries that the ponies suffer--especially when those injuries happen to characters we know and love. I think it strikes the right balance, though. It's not violence for violence's sake; it shows us the costs of war, and the way it effects those ponies who fight it, in a way that most war stories simply gloss over. There's a lot of emotional pain here, but it feels earned and authentic, and not simply as an attempt to be Edgy or Mature.

Second, and this is a very mild one: the story is actually the third in a trilogy. That said, it's written in such a way that context is helpful, but not neccesary. Redheart refers to incidents from the previous two stories in the frame narrative, meaning the meat of the story is stands on its own. More importantly, there's enough information to help the reader make sense of these references. With the possible exception of one reference near the end, I never felt lost.

Overall, this is an emotionally wrenching story, but it's the good sort of wrenching: it adds depth to the world of Equestria, and helps us to feel empathy for Redheart and nurses like her. I cannot reccomend this enough, and I hope the RCL decides to take a look at it.

Oops! Whiffed the forrmatting. I'll leave the full comment intact for reference.

Story Name: Redheart's War
Link To Story: [Link]
Word Count: 46k
Tags: [Adventure] [Drama] [Gore]
What It's About: Nurse Redheart tells the story of her time as a combat medic--and all the sacrifices she had to make along the way.
Why It's Awesome: This is an intensely personal story about suffering, sacrifice, and loss that, somehow, fits very naturally within the world of My Little Pony. Part of the appeal is its extreme attention to detail: every character, even the one-off bit players, feels fully realized, with realistic motivtions, goals, and dreams. It also goes into detail about how medics like Redheart approach problems and treat their patients, helping to offer some insight into roles that we often don't see.
And Also: This is a truly heartwrenching story to read. It doesn't neccesarily revel in its gore tag, but it sure earns it--especially when those characters we've come to know and love are the victims.

Story Name: So Many Words Never Said
Link To Story:

TSo Many Words Never Said
It was a simple dynamic. Simple enough that it didn't require any questions, only the unspoken agreement to remain silent. It only required Twilight broken into pieces, so she could never put herself back together again.
Snowmanmelting · 32k words  ·  64  4 · 2.1k views

Word Count: 32,517
Tags: [Dark] [Drama] [Slice of Life] [Non-con]

What It's About: Twilight Sparkle and her father have a simple dynamic. It only required the unspoken agreement to remain silent. It only required Twilight to be broken into pieces over and over again, until she could never hope to put herself back together. But even when she's offered compassion, understanding and a way out, Twilight doesn't know if she can take it.

Why It's Awesome: Sexual abuse is a topic seldom written about on FimFic as anything other than a sickening fetish. It's hard to read about--hard to think about--but that doesn't make it any less real, or any less worth discussing. In So Many Words Never Said, we get a respectful, heartbreaking and painfully realistic portrayal of what such abuse does to the victim, as well as why it's so hard for said victim to escape their abuser. Snowmanmelting does a phenomenal job at tackling such a difficult topic, resulting in a story that hurts in a way nothing else can.

Not to detract from Brokenimage321's nomination, but I disagree on just which one of Sock's stories should be up there. So I nominate...

Story Name: Luna's Daughters

TLuna's Daughters
Upon her return from banishment, Luna asks Celestia: "What happened to my daughters?"
SockPuppet · 18k words  ·  469  16 · 6.7k views

Word Count: 18,084
Tags: [Violence] [Death] [Adventure] [Drama]
What's It About: After returning from the moon, Luna asks Celestia what happened to those - the family - that she left behind. The author's own dialogue summarizes it:

(Luna) "Are my daughters dead? My husband?"

(Celestia) "Yes, for almost one thousand years."

(Luna) "I... but... but... but not ten hours ago... I ate breakfast with them."

And then Celestia tells Luna the tale of her family - the painful, agonizing, noble lives that her descendants lived.

Why It's Awesome: I uphold Luna's Daughters as one of three stories on this site that encapsulate what I strive for in my writing. Every step of the way is heart-wrenching as the characters suffer horribly in the face of impossible situations - and yet they shine through. The characterizations are brilliant as they manage to be both painfully human and unfathomably noble at the same time. The stories are legends of Equestria, and yet the characters in them feel real. And the entire tale ends with a mote of brightness to contrast all the dark, and gives a deep insight into Luna and especially Celestia's personalities.

While I'm on the subject, I also nominate...

Story Name: The Time We Have Left

TThe Time We Have Left
Unable to handle her anxiety without the memory stone, Wallflower Blush tries to end her life. The attempt leaves her too injured to recover, and with just hours left to live, she expects to die all alone—until Sunset Shimmer appears, asking, “Why?"
Scampy · 5.8k words  ·  222  21 · 4.7k views

Word Count: 5,829
Tags: [Self-Harm] [Death] [Dark] [Sad] [Tragedy]
What It's About: Wallflower Blush takes her own life. Sunset Shimmer finds her and brings her to the hospital - too late. And the two speak at Wallflower's bedside as the final moments come.

Why It's Awesome: Scampy is, without a doubt, THE Wallflower author. And just as much she's easily one of the best authors on the site for tackling issues of self-harm, suicide and depression. This one's just a prime example of her stories - it hurts like hell to read, but it gives insight into the thoughts of someone wrestling with their own darkness and depression. Most authors who use self-harm, quite bluntly, throw it around for cheap angst or cringe-worthy edginess. Scampy doesn't - she treats it with the hateful respect it deserves. The story itself is painful because there's just enough hope in it for you to think it's going to have a bright ending. It's beautiful because of the raw emotions packed inside. And it's one of the few that treats the serious subject as it should be.

Story Name: Your Porcelain Face
Link To Story: Link
Word Count: 4892
Tags: [Equestria Girls] [Sad] [Tragedy]
What It's About: Princess Celestia and her assistant Raven clean out Sunset Shimmer's old room in Canterlot.
Why It's Awesome: This story, written by Ice Star, has some of the most convincing and emotionally compelling characterization of Celestia I've encountered. Her relationship with Sunset is painstakingly and exquisitely described through the personal items left over from Sunset's time as a student. Overall, the story provides a much-needed exploration of that phase of Celestia's history.
Oh, And Also: The inclusion of the self-help book is astoundingly good.

Atlas Song

EAtlas Song
Can't you hear? The stars are singing.
themoontonite · 1.1k words  ·  161  5 · 1.5k views

1,132 words.

Tags: Slice of Life

What it's About:

At its core, the story is about Celestia as she laments her actions after she imprisoned Luna to the moon.

Why It's Awesome:

This story is filled to the brim with emotional appeal and a beautiful arsenal of vocabulary. As a quills and sofas speedwriting entry, this story absolutely blew everything else out of the water and was a very easy vote for first place winner. Even though this concept has been told many times before, the way its told is so incredibly powerful and moving that it feels brand new all the same.

A few volunteer reviewers also gathered to share their thoughts on this story, giving it unanimous praise.

This is my first time recommending a story to the RCL, but this story feels like it should be in there already. Seriously.

Story Title: Hell's Belles

THell's Belles
Sweetie Belle and Sugar Belle go on a whirlwind heist. It goes exactly as well as you'd expect.
Silent Whisper · 5.9k words  ·  37  1 · 374 views

Tags: Adventure

What It's About: Sweetie Belle and Sugar Belle save Equestria.

Why It's Awesome:

"Uhh…" Sugar Belle's brow creased in deep thought, the sort that I recognized from when Rarity tries to formulate the best possible answer to make herself look good. It’s a special sort of facial expression, or at least this was similar enough to that to make me feel like I was in familiar territory.

Don't normally resort to quotes her,e but the way Silent helps magnetize a reader to the greatest details in a story always drew me, and she does it here. It's only two chapters in, but it promises to be a spectacular one. Especially with how it makes Sweetie Bell summarize her relationship to the Mane Six, and Sugar Belle's recounting of how dire her situation is. It's a start that already reads like a near-complete fic, and I recommend this with all my heart.

Story Name: YCH

[Adult story embed hidden]

Word Count: 22,457
Tags: [Sex] [Romance] [Slice of Life]

What It's About: Tab A and Slot B are models. They do poses - often of the erotic variety - so that ponies out there can get that art they've always wanted of themselves doing Princess Luna, or maybe Daring Do. They're stand-ins for what the customer wants, and they're very good at it.

Why It's Awesome: This is a sex story with no sex. It's about two ponies who work in porn, while maintaining a relationship with each other. It's about two ponies who are literally seen as placeholders trying to live their lives the best they can. This story made me care about them, deeply. It's a fantastic character piece and at the same time, it's a unique look into sex work in Equestria and has fantastic worldbuilding and side characters. There aren't any other stories like it on the site, and that alone should be worth something.

Oh, And Also: Full disclaimer: Rob and I are internet acquaintances. This story is still well worth it. It's probably one of his best pieces on the site, and he wrote MLD. It deserves more love than it has received - don't let the M rating fool you, there's a really touching story here.

Story Name: The Seven of Six series: A Screaming Butterfly and The Longest Night
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/481937/seven-of-six-a-screaming-butterfly
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/479496/seven-of-six-the-longest-night
Word Count: 4,910 and 29,576 respectively
Tags: [Adventure]
What It's About: I recomend these two together since the first story is a prequel that assists in providing additonal (but not required) context on the "The Longest Night." In an alternate timeline that was created due to the events of "The Cutie Re-Mark," Twilight ended up coming under the tutlelege of a still-imprisoned Discord. This story is a re-telling of the "Friendship is Magic" pilot in this new timeline.
Why It's Awesome: There have been many re-tellings of the first episode over the years, but this one really stands out to me because of just how much intrigue SpectralFury puts into this alternate timeline. The new characterizations of the Mane Six manage to blend their base characteristics with their new circumstances perfectly. Additionally, SpectralFury plants seeds of an ongoing plotline in this story that just seem so interesting in their possibilities while not taking away from the current story unfolding.
Oh, And Also: Spectral Fury has a really insightful comment on his user page that details how he came up with this new timeline. Really interesting stuff.

Story Name: It Sleeps Beneath Foal Mountain
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/425946/it-sleeps-beneath-foal-mountain
Word Count: 98,130
Tags: [Dark] [Horror] [Tragedy]
What It's About: After Twilight witnessing and being traumatized by Chrysalis' doppelgangers being absorbed by the tree of Harmony in "The Mean Six," her quest to analyzing the phenomena leads her on a path that may very well lead to Equestria's doom.
Why It's Awesome: I believe I reccomended this story a long while back while it was still in its infancy, but now that it's done, I figured I'd drop it here again. the7Saviors delievers an expertly told Lovecraftian style story set in Equestria. The story takes advantage of its first-person POV with its uniquely cold and detached tone, giving itself a unique style I feel like I've never read before. Essentially, if an MLP story was written by HP Lovecraft, this would be it.
Oh, And Also:

Story Name: What is Destiny Against Desire?
Link To Story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/468143/what-is-destiny-against-desire
Word Count: 4,502
Tags: [Drama]
What It's About: As Twilight begins to fully graps what being an alicorn means shortly after the Season 4 finale, Spike asks Twilight if being a princess is something she truly wants or if it's something she's feeling forced into.
Why It's Awesome: SpectralFury has honestly perfected the art of the "fix-it" fic. Unlike most authors, who just write "This thing is this way now and here's why it's better," SpectralFury gives the characters room to breath and deconstruct Twilight's ascension through their own lenses. It also provides an interesting dialogue about one's destiny vs. one's desires, like the title says.
Oh, And Also:

• Viewing 451 - 500 of 508