• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,996 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,996

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 78- Comforting Taste

“Welcome back to the show, every creature,” Trixie welcomed every creature to today’s program, “After all the tension and drama from the quiz, we are starving. So we are back in the studio kitchen with a special baking demonstration, this time by Tempest, who is baking something from her foalhood memory. Why don’t you tell us what we’re baking today, Tempest?” Tempest smiled and nodded.

“Today, I am going to show you, as well with all my friends here, how to bake the perfect yoghurt cake. The real magic is baking and cooking things out of love and care, and with a cake it’s no exception. I used to bake this with my friends back when I was just a filly,” Tempest introduced to everypony in the studio what they were baking.

“So without further ado, let’s begin baking,” Starlight started, “I sound just like Pinkie Pie after that. What do we need for the perfect yoghurt cake?”

“What you are going to need is two-hundred grams of plain yoghurt, forty-eight grams of vegetable oil, four eggs to separate the yolks and the whites, seventy grams of caster sugar, forty grams of plain flour, twenty-four grams of cornflour and one table spoon of vanilla extract. You will need a tray to put water to help keep the cake and oven moist as well as lots of mixing bowls for separation,” Tempest listed off what the group needed, which Sunset and Starlight levitated from the cupboards, shelves and fridge.

“First, preheat the oven to one-hundred and seventy degrees Celestius, and line a seven-inch round baking tin with parchment paper,” Tempest gave the first step, which Trixie got right into.

“Sunset, can you sieve together the plain and corn flour and set it aside?” Tempest asked, which Sunset nodded and started, “Meanwhile, in another bowl, I need to mix the vegetable oil and yoghurt together with a whisk.” Tempest got mixing until it was fully mixed together.

“Then you need to separate your eggs,” Tempest gestured to Starlight, who with her magic, did so with ease, “Now add the yolks one at a time to the yoghurt-oil mix, and I will mix them together each time.” Tempest and Starlight worked together to add the yolks in, Tempest stirring each time they were added. Sunset added a teaspoon of vanilla extract at the end of mixing.

“Trixie, now you add the flour mix into the yoghurt mix and continue mixing until smooth,” Tempest signalled Trixie to do so, which she nodded as she worked, “Me and Sunset will now work on the meringue mix that we will add at the end to help it rise.” Tempest and Sunset got another clean, dry mixing bowl.

“First, whisk the egg whites until bubbly and foamy. Then with the caster sugar, you add it bit-by-bit, mixing well each time before soft peaks form on the whisk,” Tempest explained, earning a confused look from Trixie.

“Soft peaks?” Trixie asked.

“The meringue mix will droop down to only side slightly,” Tempest chuckled, earning an ‘oh’ from Trixie.

“Like my hat?” Trixie gestured to her drooping hat,
“”Yes, like your hat,” Tempest rolled her eyes at Trixie’s comparison. The continued mixing until the peaks formed.

“Right everypony, all you need to do is fold it into the yoghurt mix at sperate times,” Starlight and Sunset did as they were instructed. Trixie started boiling some water in a kettle and poured around the tin until it was about an inch deep to keep the cake moist.

“It takes quite a while to bake, around an hour in fact, but I guarantee it will be worth the effort and wait,” Tempest told the others in optimism. Whilst the cake was baking, they decided to work together again to clean up the kitchen area.

“Whilst on the topic of cakes, what’s your favourite go to cake?” Tempest asked the others.

“A simple sponge will do for me any day,” Starlight licked her lips, “Though Pinkie’s party cupcakes are close.”

“I love a nice cool or cold cake,” Trixie smiled, “A nice smooth cheesecake, whatever the flavour or toppings, is my go-to on a hot day.”

“A heavy chocolate cake is my favourite,” Sunset smiled, “Biscuit crumb toppings is my favourite topping as well. The nice crumbs that give the cake an crispy side is so good!”

It was at that moment that the oven gave a ding, telling them it was ready. Tempest used the oven hoof-gloves to take it out, revealing a nice well risen yoghurt cake. Sunset took it out of the tin and they all helped themselves to a slice of the cake they baked together.

“Now this is a surprise,” Sunset poked the cake as if jiggled on contact, “It’s on the savoury yet sweet side all together.”

“Trixie approves immensely,” Trixie happily ate her slice.

“Thank you Tempest for showing us your favourite bake when you were a foal. We are going to enjoy our slice of goodness now, but we will be back soon for more tasty talks. Bye for now!” Starlight spoke as she ate.

PreviousChapters Next