• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,980 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,980

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56- Let's Go Fly A Kite

"We are outside today, enjoying the sunny weather so Starlight here can show us all how to make the perfect kite," Tempest smiled to Starlight who had an egghead smile that could rival Twilight's own.

"I really like kites," Starlight whispered in a hushed tone. Trixie snickered.

"And there's nothing wrong with having a hobby," Sunset smiled, "I'm just glad to take a break from those counselling sessions with Lyra. Her obsession is getting rather clingy on me."

"Glad to help," Starlight smiled, before clapping her hooves together in excitement, "Now let's start making some kites. The trick with an S.L.K. is not to make the spars too heavy. But if they're too light, you've got no ballast and then good luck tacking against the A.O.I." She said that with rapid enthusiasm, just like what Twilight does when she gets into egghead mode.

"You've been hanging around Twilight for too long, you know that right?" Trixie snickered, who blushed a little at that remark.

"Woah, woah, woah," Sunset tried to catch what she said, "What does S.L.K. and A.O.I. mean?"

"Single line kite and angle of incidence to the wind," Starlight smiled. She then opened a nearby box and got out some crafts material.

"So let's start creating!" Starlight squeed in excitement, with the others collecting what material they needed.

"The way you need to design your kite is so that as air runs past it, it creates a lift to the sail. The kite needs to be on a slight tilt so that the air beneath the kite pushes hardest to lift the kite up that the air above it. As I said, the spars, the frame of the kite, can't be too heavy," Starlight lectured

Starlight started them off with showing them some household material they could use with some string for the tail and controller, tape and a plastic sheet for the body.

"Place the plastic sheets of your colour down and place the sticks in a cross shape with the cross slightly higher. Using a ruler, draw a diamond around the cross with a marker that you can see where you will have to cut," Starlight first instructed them. Trixie had a purple plastic cloth, complimenting her cape. Tempest went for a dark purple and Sunset choosing a striped sheet of burning orange and yellow.

"Cut the diamond out, trimming down if there are any areas that are a little bigger than usual," Starlight showed them with her example. She had gone for a cloth with a pattern of the Elements of Harmony on the front, "Then you can tape the stick spars on the edges and middle. The others followed her example, using a pair of scissors in their magic, or hoof in Tempest's case.

"Poke two holes on each side of the spar cross, but not close to the edge. Then you can pass your short piece of string into the holes from one side to the other. Tie them together and tape them for extra security. Then you tie and tape a longer piece of string and connect it to a controller. It could be a piece of cardboard or wood. For a tail, attach a strip of plastic at the end. It would cause one end of the kite to be heavy, creating the angle and lift."

Everypony finished their kite, admiring theirs and others works.

"And now for the fun and relaxing part. Let's go fly our kite's!" Starlight gave a big grin that could rival Pinkie's, "Today is a particularly breezy day. Perfect and open so the kites won't get stuck in any trees or hit any passing pegasi. Just lift the kite up with your magic and watch it fly!" Everypony did as instructed, Starlight helping Tempest lift her kite up. Soon, everypony was relaxing, watching each other's kites fly in the sky.

"I can see why you like this," Tempest chuckled, "This is a relaxing past time."

"I learnt to fly kites as a way to practice calm and magic at the same time. Me and Sunburst always flew kites when we were foals," Starlight smiled at the memories, "We still do from time to time, with Maud joining us as well. It grew on her as well."

"Can't believe she's related to Pinkie Pie, in this world or mine," Sunset muttered.

"You're not alone," Starlight laughed.

"And with that, we are finished for now ,every creature. Hopefully this will inspire you to make your own kite as well," Trixie rounded off today's show, "Thank you to Starlight for showing us her interests and we will see you all again soon!"

PreviousChapters Next