• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,968 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,968

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 81- Fresh To Serve

"As you may or may not know," Sunset introduced every creature to the show for the day, "I work at the local Canterlot Mall in my world in order to make a decent amount to keep myself afloat. I started off with doing simple art commissions, like comic book art, paintings and small things here and there. However, I now work at a local sushi restaurant, either serving to customers, or in the kitchen. Today, we are in the studio kitchen so I can give a demonstration to the others on how to make the perfect sushi rolls.”

“Can’t wait to try something different,” Tempest rubbed her hooves together in anticipation, “In Equestria, sushi is a common dish in the region of Neighpan, but it’s common to see it in Sequestria and Mount Aris as the hippogriffs use it a lot as a common dish.”

“So what do we need to do first, Sunset?” Starlight asked.

“First, you need to do is to steam and heat some sticky rice, around five-hundred grams. You need to wash all the dust and starch off first and then add six-hundred and sixty millilitres of water and let it simmer for ten minutes,” Sunset instructed Starlight. Starlight did as she was told, lighting the stove with her magic and boiled the rice gently.

“Trixie, you can make the vinegar mix for the rice. All you need is one teaspoon of table salt, two teaspoons of sugar and four table spoons of rice vinegar. Just mix them all together so that it’s all dissolved and then we can add it to the rice,” Sunset pointed to the glass jug and items for mixing. Trixie got to it right away. Meanwhile, Starlight had finished boiling the rice and drained the excess water. She gave a smile as she checked the consistency of the rice, which was nice and sticky, yet showed individual grains.

“This is looking good already!” Trixie observed eagerly.

“Tempest, you can put the rice in a cold bowl to cool it and mix the vinegar mix in one spoonful at a time,” Sunset smiled, “I will get going on slicing the dry seaweed sheets and vegetables, ideally carrots and cucumbers are the classic vegetables, but some add pickled radishes or boiled beetroot for added colour.” Tempest nodded and started mixing the vinegar mix into the rice. Meanwhile, Sunset started scoring the seaweed into manageable sizes and sliced the vegetables into long strips. She used her magic to control the knives in smooth and precise movements.

“Now we are ready for assembling them,” Sunset smiled as all the prep was done, “Your nori, or dried seaweed sheets will have a shiny and rough side to them. We are going to put our rice on the rough side, with the shiny side on the rolling mat.” The others watched as Sunset placed the seaweed on the roller and used her magic to get some rice and place it on the seaweed, spreading it out until it was a thin layer.

“You can add whatever vegetables you want in the centre. I like carrots and pickled radishes in mine, so I will place them in the centre in one thin strip,” Sunset told the others, taking her desired vegetables in her magic and placed them along the middle. Then, she was ready to roll all of it together.

“To roll your sushi, All you need the side nearest to you to end up at the top your fillings. Just apply some pressure with your magic or hooves. Do a half-roll and apply the same pressure to form the final shape. They will be a little but of seaweed at the end, so just roll and apply pressure to seal it up.” She did as she instructed the others. Unfurling the sushi roller, there was a cylinder of sushi.

“You just have to cut it up evenly and carefully as you don’t want to squash it too much and then you have your own perfect homemade sushi,” Sunset began slicing them into bite-size pieces and presented them onto a plate.

“Why don’t you all have a go at adding your own combinations and rolling it out?” Sunset gestured to the others to have a go, which the nodded eagerly. Starlight had a spring onion and cucumber filling which she rolled up with ease. Trixie went for carrots and cucumber with a dash of soy sauce. Tempest went with some boiled beetroot, though rolling with hooves was tricky for her.

“For traditional dips, we have soy sauce, light vinegar and-“ Sunset listed, but was interrupted by Trixie.

“What is that green stuff?” Trixie pointed at the item in question.

“It’s called wasabi,” Sunset smiled, “But you only want a small bit of it because it’s super spicy stuff.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie fears no heat!” Trixie declared before smothering her sushi piece into the wasabi.

“Um, Trixie?” Starlight tried to save her friend, but she already plopped it into her mouth and started to chew. It took a few seconds before Trixie began running around the kitchen, panting like a dog for water. She went for the sink, plugging it and dipping her face in the water to relieve her herself.

“That reminds me when me, Pinkie and Twilight from CHS had sushi on the beach,” Sunset chuckled along with the others as they watched Trixie try and wash the heat off her mouth.

“I think it’s best we end our show here to save Trixie from embarrassment,” Starlight chuckled.

“Embarrassment has already been served,” Trixie moaned.

“We will see you all again soon,” Tempest laughed, “But for now, it’s goodbye from the R.U.G.”

PreviousChapters Next