• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,983 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,983

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 87- Fried And Fine

"Today's cooking demonstration is brought to you by non-other than Trixie,” Sunset introduced every listener back to the show. They were in the studio kitchen again, waiting to see what Trixie had planned for the day.

“Thank you one and all. The Great and Powerful Trixie will be showing our lovely listeners how to make the best doughnuts. After a long day on the road, nothing beats making your own day at the end of the day and frying them on an open fire,” Trixie gave a hungry look at the image of frying doughnuts on the campfire. The others snickered at her look.

“Great,” Starlight urged her on, “So what do we need to make great and powerful doughnuts that are just as great and powerful as yourself?” Starlight mocked lightly. Trixie pretended that she didn’t hear that joke.

“Great question, fellow friend,” Trixie smirked, “To make the best doughnut dough, we are going to bloom some yeast in warmed milk at one-hundred and ten degrees Celestius. Let that rest for around ten minutes,” Tempest got to it, warming some milk her magic sparks lightly, Sunset adding the yeast in and stirring the mixture gently.

“Starlight, you can add one teaspoon of sugar and one-and-a-quarter teaspoon of dry yeast. Then we are going to measure out our dry ingredients.” Starlight did as she was instructed whilst Trixie set up the scales to measure their next ingredients out.

“We are measuring out three-hundred and fifty grams of all-purpose flour, seventy-five grams of white plain sugar and one teaspoon of table salt. Whisk them all together before we add our wet ingredients.” Trixie measured the ingredients out into a separate mixing bowl and whisked them all together.

“For the wet ingredients, we need three large egg yolks and mix in our milk-yeast mix,” Starlight commanded Starlight to do. Starlight separated the yolks from the whites and added the milk-yeast mix, which had bloomed and increased in size.

“Gently combine them all together with a wooden spoon until it forms a single shaggy mass,” Starlight instructed Tempest, who had the wooden spoon in her hoof. Tempest continued to stir the mix whilst Sunset got the benchtop ready, flouring it lightly. Tempest but the dough mass onto the benchtop, which Starlight began to knead for eight minutes.

“We are now going to place it back into bowl, cover and let it rest for around one hour, or when it has doubled in size.” Trixie instructed as she covered the dough back into the bowl and placed it at the back of the studio kitchen.

“While it rises, I guess it’s the perfect time to make our fillings, right?” Sunset licked her lips. Trixie giggled and nodded.

“We are going to start with a vanilla crème pate. We are going to combine three large egg yolks to one whole egg, eighty-five grams of sugar, and thirty-five grams of corn starch. Whisk it all together until smooth and creamy, then add a dash of vanilla paste as we don’t want to have a strong vanilla flavour. Continue mixing until you get a smooth ribbon when you lift the whisk out,” Trixie told Sunset as she stirred. Tempest started lightly boiling some milk and added it to the mix, not wanting to overboil the mix to cause the eggs to scramble.

“Return the mixture back on the stove, mix the vanilla mix on medium-low heat. Wisk consistently until nice, creamy and thick,” Trixie told them as they each took it in turns to mix and keep an eye on the stove fire heat. When that was done, they poured the crème pate into a bowl and placed the foil directly on top to prevent a skin forming. They let it cool for around one to two hours.

“Let’s go back to our dough,” Trixie got from behind them, which had risen beautifully, “Sunset, you can roll it out into around until it’s around one-and-a-half inch in thickness.” Sunset nodded, lightly flouring the benchtop again and rolling the dough out. Tempest got a biscuit cutter and cut them out into donut-sized circles. Placing them on a dusted baking tray, they allowed them to rise for another forty-five minutes. Whilst waiting, Trixie got the oil ready for frying.

“Place the risen circles in the oil when the vegetable oil reaches one-hundred and eighty degrees Celestius and they should float immediately. Flip them every forty-five minutes and soon they are ready to be removed and drained on a wired rack. Allow them to cool, but enough to cover them in sugar while still warm.” Tempest got to it immediately, frying, flipping and drying the doughnuts. Sunset covered them in sugar. Starlight, wanted to make a chocolate glaze for some of them that Pinkie taught her.

“For a chocolate glaze, add one-hundred and fifteen grams of chopped chocolate with a sixty millilitres of steaming whole milk, a shot of expresso powder and a couple table spoons of corn starch. Add it to piping bag and add the cooled crème pate. Make a whole with a normal knife to insert the piping nuzzle and fill so it’s not bursting,” Starlight instructed her part, which Trixie got to it.

“Then cover the doughnuts with the chocolate glaze and allow it to set no more than twenty minutes.”

“My favourite filling is a simple strawberry jam, so with a different piping bag, add some seedless jam that Strawberry Sunrise provided us,” Tempest got out a pot of jam and poured it into a piping bag, “like the vanilla crème pate, add jam the same way as before.” Sunset did the jam doughnuts as Tempest instructed.

“And there you go,” Trixie finished off, dusting herself off from the flour and sugar, “vanilla filled chocolate-glazed doughnuts, and jam-filled doughnuts!” Everypony dug in after a hard day’s work, mourning in pleasure at the taste of their creations.

“And on that delicious, sweet note, we are done for today at the R.U.G. Hope you enjoyed this demonstration and wishing that this has inspired you to trying to make something of your own,” Tempest finished off, “But for now from the R.U.G. it’s goodbye from us at the studio.”

PreviousChapters Next