• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,980 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,980

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57- Some Like It Sweet

"For our bonding session between Lyra and Sunset, we are at Bonbon's candy store to make some of our own candy. Thank you for inviting us to your shop's behind the scenes, Bonbon," Starlight welcomed and thanked Lyra's partner. They were at the back of the store, dressed in mane-nets and protective clothes for the hot molten sugar and hoof gloves.

"The pleasure is mine really," Bonbon smiled, "I'm more than happy to show you around the store, and maybe get you to create your own candy. Isn't that right, Lyra?" Bonbon turned to the mare in question, you chuckled wryly, "The sessions are really helping, though she does have the occasional mind-wandering to a hand obsessions from time to time."

"Believe me, we know," Sunset huffed and rolled her eyes. Trixie snickered.

"So without further ado, let's start making candy!" Bonbon chanted with everypony clapping. We walked them over to a large vat of, "First we mix in large amounts of sugar, water and corn syrup and heat it to become a molten sugary mass. Starlight, would you like to pour these ingredients in?" Starlight started straight away, pouring the the amount of each ingredient as Bonbon instructed.

"When that is fully mixed to become a near solid mass, Trixie can add a starch mixture and flavouring. We are going for the classic strawberry flavouring today." Trixie got right to it, pouring the required amounts into a separate pot.

"As they mix, the flavouring binds to the starch mix. I will get the solid mass out so we can start folding it into the starch." She turned the vat over, and the sugary mass and rolling it out into a sheet. Trixie put the starch mixture in the middle. Together, with the help of Sunset's and Starlight's magic, they started folding the work together. Lyra smiled as she worked with her magic as well. Sunset caught her, and they both started giggling. Starlight smiled. This was good progress in her eyes. Eventually, the white and red worked and mixed together to form a pink, sugary lump.

"The reason we have to fold this evenly is to have an even distribution of flavouring. It also helps remove any air bubbles between each fold. Moving the mass onto a cart, they towed it over to another machine.

"This machine helps roll the candy into logs, heating it at the same time to make it more pliable. Lyra, could you turn the machine on. You know where it is since you work alongside me here." Lyra nodded, flicking the correct switch on. The group watched as the mass was rolled and heated to become a large cylinder log. They continued watching as Lyra and Bonbon worked together, stretching the log on the machine to get the leg thinner and thinner.

"Tempest, you can turn on the machine next to it. It's just a simple button," Bonbon instructed whilst she worked. Tempest walked over the the neighbouring machine and pressed the button. The sugary thin log moved along the machine. Everypony moved over to see what was going on.

"This machine moves the sugar, cutting it into the desired size. Wheels slim the sugar down even more into rope diameter and then thinner and thinner. It moves in a wave-like pattern to stop overstretching whilst it goes through each phase. A cutter at the end cuts it into the right size. And that's how you make candy rock sticks." The candy sticks starting rolling out. Lyra got a few in her magic, all cooled down for the group to try. The group instantly took a suck out of their sticks. Smiles rose on their faces.

"Delicious work," Tempest complimented, "How long has this been going?"

"It has been a family business. That's how I got my cutie mark at all. It's not like I have a secret identity or anything, right Lyra?"

"Oh, definitely nothing like that at all. We're just two friends who help each other in a business." They gave each other knowing smiles, causing faces of confusion among the R.U.G.

"Anyway, what other sort of sweets do you do?" Trixie asked whilst still licking on her sugary treat.

"Our busiest times are Nightmare Night and Hearth's Warming Eve for obvious reasons. It's when we really get creative and create all kinds of candy for the holidays," Bonbon told them.

"Well, thank you for the tour of your shop and I'm glad that you two are making progress," Starlight smiled at Sunset and Lyra, who looked at each other, a small blush on their faces. Bonbon rolled her eyes.

"We will be back shortly, and be sure to get your own sweet treats at Bonbon and Lyra's shop when you have time to spare," Tempest finished off.

PreviousChapters Next