• Published 17th Apr 2021
  • 4,968 Views, 702 Comments

Reformed Unicorn Group Podcast - Quoterific



Four former unicorn villains share some laughs and fun upon reflection about their past

  • ...
16
 702
 4,968

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 98- Balancing Act Pt.5

“Hello every creature and welcome back for your daily coverage of the Equestria Games, so that you won’t miss any part of the action,” Tempest welcomed back their listeners to another day of sport, “And order to cover as much of the Games as we can, we have partnered with Good Morning Equestria, and joining me in the commentating box is Silverstream.”

“It’s a big pleasure to be part of the action in Manehattan, and the city is amazing itself!” Silverstream clapped her claws together in excitement, “Today, we are in the Manehattan Gymnastics Arena to look at the gymnasts who are hoping to snatch that coveted gold medal on the balancing beam. So Tempest, who don’t you break down the rules for our listeners?”

“Well, Silverstream, the first scores will be judged on the difficulty of the routine and must include two acrobatic skills such as a flip in immediate succession, two dance skills like a leap and one or more pirouette,” Tempest explained before moving onto the judges’ preferences, “In the best beam routines, the gymnast will have no wobbles and, of course, no falls. Judges also deduct for things like body form and excessive pauses between skills.”

“That sounds like a lot of boxes to tick,” Silverstream admired what the gymnasts must achieve, “Makes Twilight’s long list of lecture things more easy.”

“Well, let’s see who will be taking up that long list of requirements on that balancing beam shall we?” Tempest chuckled. Silverstream rolled out a scroll containing list of kingdoms competing. She checked over the names of competitors:


1. Canterlot
2. Trotland
3. Blatimare
4. Appleloosa
5. Las Pegasus
6. Changeling Kingdom

“The Changeling Kingdom will be hoping to make a strong debut at this event of the Games,” Silverstream smiled at the list, “The bookies favourites are Canterlot and Las Pegasus, where many famous gymnasts have come from. All in all, expect quite a show!”

“And it looks like we don’t need to wait that long,” Tempest looked out across the stadium, “The judges are seated and it’s time for the first gymnast to take to the beam. So here’s the first gymnast to take to the beam from Canterlot.” There was a silence as the mare took to the took.

“Using the springboard to get herself on, she presents herself with some dance elements. She then does a beautiful forward flip into a cartwheel to get to the other side, lovely control and balance at the end there. She now goes into a half-body twist into a hoof-stand, flipping around to a leap,” Silverstream commentated in as much detail as she can.

“She’s coming the dismount down, with a strong jump into a flip and she lands confidently there with little wobble. That was a beautiful routine on the balancing beam there by the hopeful from Canterlot,” Tempest clapped her hooves along with the spectators.

“It’s now a nervous wait for the score as all eyes turn to the judges’ box,” Silverstream waited for the score, “They have spoken, and with an impressive 38.411, that will be the score to try and beat.”

“A stunning display of determination and willpower from her,” Tempest watched on, “And now it’s time for the second gymnast to take to the beam, this time from the region of Trotland.” All eyes were on the next gymnast, who used the same springboard to come onto the board. Tempest commentated her movements.

“She goes straight into it, performing a flip into a handstand. She slides down into a sitting position, forelegs stretched beautifully as she presents herself to the judges in front of her. She then slides gracefully back into her standing position, a tiny wobble which will be scrutinized there. With a few more dance elements and a pirouette, she comes to the dismount, finishing off with a graceful flip and a wonderful landing, we will have to wait for the judges to decide what the score will be,” Tempest watched, giving a detailed description of the routine that happened in front of them.

“And… I’m afraid it’s not enough. With a score of 37.899, it will have to be second place for now,” Silverstream sighed as the audience clapped for the gymnast, “Her drive and determination is admirable though.”

Baltimare was up next, a young pegasus mare taking to the beam, though her wings weren’t allowed to be used as a balancing tool in guidance to equality between creatures, which will also be applied when the changeling gymnast takes to the beam last. She did the best she could perform, with a slight wobble at the flip and dismount, only earning her a mediocre 36.437 for her effort.

Appleloosa fared no better, almost stumbling off the beam on the first flip. She did her best with some dance elements and hoof-stand, landing in a sitting position on the beam with a strong flourish on the dismount. In the end she had to settle on a score of 35.705.

“Now comes another favourite to snatch a medal, the gymnast from Las Pegasus. Let’s see what she has to offer on her routine,” Silverstream announced as all eyes were on the Las Pegasus hopeful.

“She lands on the beam confidently, performing a pirouette at the start, balancing on the beam with precision. She then does a forward leap into a cartwheel and to travel to the other side, finishing with a dance element in front of the judges. She goes into a stunning flip with control and poise. Her time is almost up as she prepares for the dismount, running slowly up. She finishes with a lovely flip and confident landing on the mat. This is going be a high score for sure,” Tempest watched as the sound of applause filled the arena.

“And…It is! With a score 39.460, she launches herself into first place! This could be gold for Las Pegasus!” Silverstream fluttered her wings in excitement.

“All eyes are on the newcomer from the Changeling Kingdom now as she takes to the beam,” Tempest watched as the changeling took position on the beam after leaping up without wings.

“She performs a double flip, showing off the difficulty of this routine, with a hoof-stand into a sitting position, she performs some symmetrical hand gestures with a beautiful backwards flip. A pirouette follows into another hoof-stand again and rotating back. Dance elements of beautifully performed twists follow. The dismount is the decider as she performs a flip and… Yes, yes, yes! That must deserve her a place on the podium now!”

“The judges have their scores in now and… I don’t believe it!” Tempest breathed in shock, “39.755! You heard me! 39.755! The Changeling Kingdom has blown away the competition to secure their first every gold medal at the games! Las Pegasus comes second with Canterlot having to accept the bronze!”

“We have witnessed Equestria Games history today, every creature! Hoped you enjoyed the balancing beam and we will see you all again soon for more coverage of the Games as they happen!” Silverstream concluded.

PreviousChapters Next