• Published 12th Sep 2019
  • 14,307 Views, 1,560 Comments

Griffon of Canterlot - Electuroo



A young griffon found a few weeks after the events of Nightmare Moon on the grounds of the castle. The questions continue to mount over time with no solid answers as they find that communicating with the young griffon going to be more challenging.

  • ...
62
 1,560
 14,307

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59 – Stall and Recovery

Author's Note:

After this chapter there will be a day skip over Wednesday straight to a multiple chapters parts of The World of Cloudsdale, this will begin the trip to Cloudsdale followed by the performances of the Young Fliers Contest, while the events of Pieces catch up in timeline wise.

This chapter was fun to create and help ties into the next chapter, thank you for the flight practice suggestion, it helped give me the idea of creating this chapter.

As always freely comment.

Stay healthy and safe all!

-Electuroo

Griffon of Canterlot

Chapter 59 – Stall and Recovery

“A little to the left, down a bit Clipper.” Spitfire directing Soarin to place large fluffy clouds outside Canterlot near the mountain steep drop edge, on the ground Fleetfoot and Fire Streak setting up the Dizzitron, a massive wheel attached to a control panel, as they made the final adjustments to the machine Gale, Gilda and Sunbeam flew into a landing before it.

Spitfire sees them flying down to them in her flightsuit as the rest were too. “What crazy flight training you've got cooking this time Spits?” Gilda noticing the large wheel and the Wonderbolt team working on final adjustments.

“Nice to see you too G-Force.” Spitfire raise her hoof up to Gilda, the griffon bump a fist against it. “This time nothing too crazy, something of a lesson with a lot of fun for cub.” Spitfire walk up to Gale. “I took some thought on how to give you some lessons and decided on a whole different approach for you young prince.”

Gale tilt his head curiously. “Fun game?”

Spitfire chuckled. “Yep fun game.”

Gilda turn her attention to the wheel. “Sooooo... Is this thing gonna be like the dust devil blow out that happened last week?”

The captain walked up to the wheel putting her hoof to the side of it. “Not this time, the Dizzitron all it does is spin you around and fling ya high into the end into a spin out stall, we use it to help those recovery from the stall spin to open their wings up to recover, turning on the bit to return safely as speedy as they can.”

Sunbeam walked up to it. “I heard of this thing, but I thought it was at the Wonderbolts HQ.”

“That the primary one, this and a few others at our venues.” Soarin told her. “This one is Royal Spinner, the Canterlot Dizzitron for us to use every so often.”

Spitfire went to the controls. “Soarin, let's show them how it works.”

He salutes. “Sure captain!” He flew up to it and slip behind the bar putting his forelegs over it. “Ready to go!”

“Soarin do not try to open your wings but angle your landing on the clouds okay?”

“Got it!” He put the goggles over his eyes.

They watched Spitfire pull the leaver up to the medium setting, pressing the button the wheel starts to spin around and around, pulling a big leaver to the side causing Soarin to be thrown from it into the sky through a spin, the stallion breaks out of the spin turning his back towards the cloud landing against it with a bounce.

“That's it?” Gilda frowned. “Talk about lame.”

Spitfire grins. “You like to show us Wonderbolts on the same settling?”

Gilda flew up to it. “Sure, why not, how hard can it be?” She slip behind the bar putting her forelegs over it.

Spitfire pulled out from a box beside it a pair of goggles. “You need these feather brain!”

Gilda grab them and put the goggles on. “Sure whatever, get on with it.”

“You asked for it!” Spitfire press the button causing it to spin around.

Gale calls out to Gilda. “Gilda do it! Gilda can!”

“Like the spirit you got for her, let's see what this griffon got!” She pull the leaver and Gilda sent flying, she fails to slow the spin and tries to use her wings to flail around to hit face first in the cloud, Gilda bounce backwards landing on her back with her eyes spinning. “Not bad, but not good either, you had zero control newbe.” Spitfire hovering over her with a hoof out.

Gilda got her senses back and stares at the hoof before taking it with a grumble under her breath. “Bucking showpony...”

“That part of the job, also we been trained to do this for ages.” Spitfire helped her up. “Right Gale, we be doing it at the lowest settings for you, do not worry about not getting it right, think of it as a game and enjoy it as if your on a ride at a park.” Spitfire look around her at the Wonderbolts. “We got the best here today to keep you safe.”

Gale had watched and listen, taking it all in. “Fun learning!” He pulled out his goggles putting them on, giving Sunbeam his bag with the plush in it. “Safe plush?”

Sunbeam took the bag. “I'll keep it safe Prince Gale.”

“Cool!” He walked up to Spitfire. “Ready!”

Spitfire watch Gale slide in and give a thumbs up to her. “Sometimes I envoy you lot with those talons of yours.” Spitfire pulling the leaver up to the lowest settings.

“Yeah right.” Gilda rolled her eyes. “Spits you do a thumbs up with your wings.” She tugged on one of Spitfire's wings.

Spitfire pulled her wing back closing it tight. “We walk on all fours but you can do it with wings and talons, that two more than we got.”

“So true.” Gilda stand on her hind legs giving two thumbs up with her claws and two more with the wings getting a laugh from Spitfire, Gale laughing too seeing the funny side to it. “Now Spits let her rip!”

Spitfire press the button, Gale start to spin around and the reaction they got was a heathery joyful scream. “Three... Two... One!” She pull the leaver launching Gale into a spin, he doesn't open his wings spinning around still giving a joyful scream before landing on the large cloud, bouncing a few times on it laughing as he sits up and punch the air. “Ready to-”

Gale flew right back to the Dizzitron slipping in behind the bar. “Again!”

“Remember that while your having fun, correct yourself in the air to land back first! After that we go towards wing control to either slow or stop yourself from hitting the clouds okay?” Spitfire gave Gale a set of tasks he need to complete. “We will space it out between breaks, do it too many times and you could get sick.”

Gale nods in agreement. “Okay, understand!”

Spitfire press the button starting it up, after a few seconds pulling it to launch Gale again, they repeat the process another six times with Gale on the fifth and sixth try almost getting control of his body to aim back first into the safety cloud. “Well done Prince Gale, come on over and relax for a bit.”

Gale came up to a long table spread inside a tent with the Wonderbolt symbol at the entrance, he noticed a group of the ponies already sat down eating their meals, Spitfire walk in to sit on a cushion at the table. “Ooo, Gilda we eat?”

“Yep cub we eat, sit down.” She pat the cushion beside her, he sits down and given a bowl of salad with carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and apple slices. “Here the ketchup.” She put the bottle down next to it. “I know how much you like putting that stuff on your food.”

Gale nods taking it, opening the bottle he tip some of it over the food salad and afterwards taking the folk, some of the ponies watched Gale do this before eating it with glee. “Ketchup on a salad?” Fleetfoot questioned.

“You put mustard on yours Flatfoot.” Spitfire said flatly to her.

She laughs rubbing the back of her neck. “Point taken.” She returns to eating her meal.

Spitfire as she ate her meal went through some of the paper work, the up coming Young Fliers Contest was days away and be a interesting one since a pony had caught her attention, the paper work showed Rainbow Dash to have proven to being a very fast professional flier, a bit of a solo act but with the right push over time she believe this pony could be a promising Wonderbolt.

Spitfire look over at Gale enjoying his meal, talking to Soarin the best he could at the moment with laughter coming from both of them, the teenage griffon was learning fast from doing things in a practical application, these weekly lessons was refreshing for her and those of her team that attended.

After their meal Gale sat on one of the clouds looking out at Cloudsdale in the distance moving across the sky, he read about the city in the books but never seen it till now as it drifts. “Quite the city isn't it?” Spitfire lands beside him. “The Wonderbolt Academy where my team and I mostly train at is a bit of that way.” She point a hoof in the general direction. “The city though is my home and seeing it drift around the country seeing villages, towns and cities from high above is quite the sight as it drift over.”

“How books, doors, stuff not fall through clouds?”

“That is the power of Pegasi magic Gale, the clouds are specially made to hold up that kind of stuff on them, just not ponies or other beings that doesn't have this spell that allow them to walk on clouds for a few days.” Spitfire explained. “I don't get how a bookshelf can stay on the cloud without a spell but a being that not a Pegasus or a Griffon can't, never thought about trying to figure it out.” Spitfire pat him on the back with a wing gentle. “Come on let's move on to using your wings, it time to learn to recover from a spin out, okay?”

Gale nods. “Okay Spitty!”

Shining Armor walking up to them seeing Gale get launched at the large clouds, seeing Gale spin and attempt to recover before landing into the clouds made him feel a bit green. “Maybe checking up wasn't a good idea, just watching making me airsick...” He groans.

“Your such a wimp, Blue Hooves.” Gilda said from on top a tree branch leaning her back against the trunk. “Celestia asked ya to come on by?”

He walk up to the tree looking up at Gilda. “Pretty much, it seem things are going well for Gale.”

Gilda's tail flicking around over the edge of the branch. “Yep, he started on the lowest setting, I jumped right into the medium setting and being a total dork I got my rump handed to me by Spits.”

“Bruised your ego?”

“Yes.” Gilda muttered. “I am the lame dweeb in that case.”

Shining Armor turn to the Dizzitron. “That take a lot of guts to admit you made a mistake.”

Gilda shrugs. “Whatever Blue Hooves.”

Shining remove his helmet putting it under his right foreleg. “I am on duty, would rather call me by my name and rank.”

“Nope.”

“That too much to ask for.” He put the helmet on.

“Whatever you say Captain Armor.” Gilda teased.

Shining quickly look up at her. “Your something you know that?”

Gilda chuckled. “That I am.” She put her talons behind the back of the head watching Gale almost recovered flapping his wings, he slows enough to bounce and tumble over on it with laughter followed. “Just in two days be back in Cloudsdale after all those years.”

“You don't sound too cheerful Gilda.” Shining Armor watching Gale go at it again.

“It was where I became friends with Dash and our recent break up as friends still very recent.”

“Why didn't you say no to Gale?”

“Because I promised, ever since I agreed to teach the cub and he thinks of me of all griffons like a big sister, I just feel this weird feeling inside me.” Gilda closed her eyes thinking of the feeling within. “It just something lame...”

Shining Armor shook his head. “It not lame Gilda, that is something I feel with my little sister at times, even you are not blood related you created a connection with him.”

“How? You dweeb, I only known him for almost three weeks.”

“I can't tell how or why it happened but it did, sometimes you two will disagree and get into a fight and you will feel the worst afterwards, other times you will feel the urge to leap off a cliff to save him and help him grow to be a better griffon than you were when you was at his age.” Shining Armor looked up at Gilda.

Gilda look down with a snort. “Fine, you made a very sappy lame dorky dweeby point! You ever speak of this little chit-chat we had-”

“It never happened, hear you loud and clear Gilda.”

“Your just as bad as your sister you know?”

“That I am.”

They chuckled and continue to watch Gale get better at getting control of his spin outs from the Dizzitron as the sun starts to set in the horizon.

PreviousChapters Next