• Published 12th Sep 2019
  • 14,303 Views, 1,560 Comments

Griffon of Canterlot - Electuroo



A young griffon found a few weeks after the events of Nightmare Moon on the grounds of the castle. The questions continue to mount over time with no solid answers as they find that communicating with the young griffon going to be more challenging.

  • ...
62
 1,560
 14,303

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 11 – Within the Pages we Sew

Author's Note:

The story continues and it was featured for the first time. Thank you to all of you! This is the second of my stories to be featured. I still love to hear your comments. Also after reading the chapter a view on something the next chapter will revile.

No spoilers before the conclusion of this chapter!

I am still trying to keep things going at a steady rate since everyone seem to like that about this story so far. If there any signs of it feeling like it being rushed to a certain point be free to tell me, I don't want to rush it. I really do not!

Continue to enjoy this awesome story!

-Electuroo

Griffon of Canterlot

Chapter 11 – Within the Pages we Sew

Within the Canterlot Castle Library the dim light within and the light of the sun shined through the hourglass, filled with many books of different ages to many scrolls holding all kind of contents from historic rules to very powerful old spells.

The teenage griffon sat at a desk next to the large hourglass that the sands endlessly fall, he was reading a book about Canterlot and the country of Equestria. Quietly watching over the griffon, Shining Armor and Cadance sat at a desk across the way.

They were reading through books on the very race of Griffons from culture, kingdom to a book filled with many griffon names. “Now this is odd.” Cadance whispered.

Shining Armor glanced over from his book. “What is it Cadance?”

“I am reading a book on the rulers of Griffonstone and the very Griffon Kingdom Griffina.” Cadance begin to tell Shining. “Listen to this...”

“In ancient times the griffons were to be known as greedy as dragons hoarding their gold and other treasures, all that changed when King Grover discovered an mysterious golden artefact called the Idol of Boreas. Legends says Idol of Boreas made from the dust of golden sunsets blow access the mountains by the north winds.”

“Processing this idol filled the griffons hearts with pride and made Griffonstone the most majestic city in all the lands.”

Shining Armor saw her confusion. “What odd about that Cadance?”

Cadance flip through some of the pages coming to the end of it. “After the fourteenth ruler King Guto there is nothing. No history, no details... Nothing. It just stops.”

“And?”

“And Shining that was almost 200 years ago.” Cadance showed the date the historic book was created in. “I had to look at the sections covered in thick dust to find this.”

Shining Armor took the book from her skimming through it as Cadance took the book with griffon names in it. “That is odd. I ran into a fair number of griffons in my time and many live on the Griffish Isles at the town Trottingham among ponies.”

Shining Armor put the book down. “I did recall they was charging insane prices for things.” Rubbing his hoof under the snout thoughtful expression.

Cadance flipping through the pages respond. “That sound like the griffons of old. Not the prideful griffons stated in the books.”

“Indeed and the kiddo over there isn't anywhere near prideful or greedy. He seems so...”

“Innocent?”

“Yes. But do you think before he lost all his memories he was either of these?”

“Maybe Shining. But we did discover he wasn't a griffon to begin with. So that can play a part.”

Shining Armor sighed. “Your right. I totally forgot about that.”

Cadance looked over at the griffon drinking some water and continue to read. “You can easily forget with this youngster. Just little over four days ago he would of clawed and kicked if you even got near him.”

“That is true Cadance.” Shining Armor rubbed his mane. “I would of believed he was faking it. But Trace showed us all the facts and I can not ignore what I saw in that report...” He staring at the griffon.

Shining Armor shivered. “The thought of me going through that is a scary-”

Cadance put her hoof on his. “That is why we do what we can to help him.” Shining Armor put his other hoof over hers and their snouts drew closer till-

“Phtttp!” They both turn their heads at the griffon staring at them blowing a raspberry.

Shining frowned. “You did that on purpose didn't you!” The griffon nods and go back to reading. “That cheeky griffon.” Shining chuckled.

“Guess he doesn't like kissing.” Cadance giggled. “Interesting that he knew what we was about to do.”

“Maybe past memory of something like that for a young teenager find gross. I sure had that feeling a few times before back when I was that age.” Shining Armor recalling the way he acted with his parents kissing, Cadance laughed with him.

Cadance push the book between her and Shining Armor. “Well we just have to later on tonight.” Shining Armor nods in agreement. “The matter of the youngster need to be addressed.”

“A name correct?”

“Yes.” They were in agreement. “It just persuading a teenager to agree to it.” Cadance knew this would be a challenge to address.

She already attempted to call him some names and all were rejected while they were heading to the library earlier. Through out the day they spent in the library Cadance been thinking of ways to get him to agree and maybe found one. Shining Armor need to help her to pull this off.

Cadance put her wing over Shining Armor to cover him from the view of the young griffon. “Cadance wh-”

“Follow my lead Shining.” She hints to the book between them.

“Alright you lead, I'll follow.” Shining agreed, for a few moments they didn't say anything and she kept her wing in the way of them and the griffon.

Just as Cadance hoped for as she lowered her wing the griffon now stood before their table holding his plush close to him. He had gotten curious at what they was saying under her wing, tilting his head and noticed the book between them.

That when he realised what they may have talked about. Quickly back-stepping from them and a shake of the head with total refusal to even look at that book.

Cadance picked up the book with her magic. “Here the thing cousin. Your mother my aunt Princess Celestia has the rights to call you whatever she wishes since we do not know your name.”

He quickly sat down and point to the plush tag. “We know that your name and you understand it. But you can not speak or even know how to even write it in our own words.”

The griffon snorts at Shining Armor's comment. “Also this would be a middle name.” The griffon curiously tilt his head. “My full name is Shining Sparkle Armor. I hold our family name as my middle name. So...”

The griffon snorts trying not to laugh but Cadance said it. “Sparkle Armor.” The griffon burst into laughter.

Shining rolled his eyes. “Yeah yeah I get it kiddo. I got an funny middle name. But would you like to have one from Princess Celestia that silly?” The griffon stopped laughing with eyes widen followed with a rapid shake of the head.

Cadance moved the book towards him placing it on the ground. “That would leave you two choices cousin. Either you pick the name or Auntie Celestia does.” Cadance's plan to get him to pick a temporary name was working.

“This book has griffon names in it. Thought since you are one kiddo you've wouldn't mind a griffon name.” Shining Armor following Cadance's lead.

The griffon placed his free talon over the cover of the book feeling the texture of the text and the griffon symbol engraving. They had made a very valid point about the name he couldn't disagree on, it was only now a matter of time before he would get an temporary name if they were right.

Placing the plush down the griffon open the book up as he sat there on the spot looking through the many names. Tilting his slightly the names all of them started with the letter 'G' of both female and male.

“You just noticed that they all start with G correct?” He nods without looking at Cadance. “That an traditional griffon name.”

“If you don't like it we-” Shining Armor got a anger squawk at him. “Okay no pony names got it.” Shining raise his hooves in defence.

Cadance laughed softly watching the griffon continue to look through the pages. “I saw this coming Shining.” Cadance turn to him. “We need to speak about how he going to learn to speak for himself.”

Shining Armor rubbed the underside of his snout. “Hmm... True Cadance.” He look cross eyed at his snout and to the griffon. “Snout... Beak... Snout... Beak...” Shining kept repeating the two words over and over again.

“Shining. Why are you saying snout and beak over and over?” Cadance stared at her love in concern.

Shining Armor cleared that concern with his reply. “I believe that the reason we can not get him to talk because we don't have beaks.”

“We don't have...” Cadance paused realising what he was saying. “Of course! How did we miss it?”

He shrugged. “Never taught a griffon to speak before.” Shining glance over the griffon too engrossed reading the book of names to listen to them. “We can't go to any griffon to help us, we will need one that been friends with ponies for some time at least.”

“Because of those you met were more concerned with bits?” Cadance asked.

“Yes. I have a feeling Griffina isn't the kingdom the book say it is, if my past experience with griffons has anything to do with it I would say most likely.” Shining Armor sighed.

Cadance tap her hoof on the wooden surface a few times before coming up with an idea. “I am going to Cloudsdale tomorrow to check over the preparation for the 'Young Flyers Contest' that is happening in a few months time. Auntie Celestia attending it.”

“I can look over any files from different camps to flight schools.” She suggested.

“I do know of an 'Junior Speedsters Flight Camp' that some of the guards spoke about attending in their foal to teen years. That could be a good lead.” Shining Armor suggested an place in Cloudsdale to check out.

“Shiny I will do that, thank you.” She kissed him on the cheek.

“Phtttp!” They both turn to see the griffon with his tongue stuck out at them.

“H-”

“Shining Armor best not question how teenagers know, they just do.” Cadance exclaimed. “Still deciding on names?” He shook his head.

“Kiddo did you pick out a name already?” He nods to Shining Armor. “Wow that was fast.”

With the right push you be surprised how fast results can come in.” Cadance thought with a soft smile seeing her plan had worked.

The griffon turn the book around and tap the finger on the word with a smile across his beak. “So your name is-”

PreviousChapters Next