• Published 9th Jan 2018
  • 11,971 Views, 636 Comments

Sunset's Crowning Achievement - LordBrony2040

  • ...
37
 636
 11,971
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 90 )

“USE THE OTHER STAIRS FOR GOING DOWN!”

Shining Armor froze, then quickly went back up before coming down the correct flight of stairs.

Oh Twilight. Never change :rainbowlaugh:

Zael #2 · Aug 3rd, 2018 · · ·

Oh boy, I'm waiting for the sequel now! Keep up the good work!

Huh. That's it? Was kind of expecting another 400,000-word epic. Still, a good sequel - looking forward to sequel #2.
Any chance of some extra epilogues addressing Sunset dealing with Starlight, and another future-Twilight bit?

xonxt #4 · Aug 3rd, 2018 · · ·

That black-coated accountant with green magic is Chrysalis, isn't she? :facehoof:

Also, very happy that it updated so frequently, but also sad that it's finished and we need to wait for another story.

Hidden Figures cracked a little smile. “That, Your Majesty, is exactly why I am here.”

Sounds reasonable. She's young, extraordinarily capable (to get such reviews from nobles, she'd have to be Poniardo da Vinci reborn!) and is on blood pressure meds because multiple noble screw-up employers are running her ragged.

Why wouldn't she want a steady job working for the High Princess of Equestria and managing her stuff full time, so she only has to worry about one pony making an extra mess of things that she can't fire them for? :pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh:

Of course, sounding reasonable may be just what she wants to do... :pinkiecrazy:

Oh the promise of the future and the reveals of the past in this chapter...

...if little Sunset had asked Celestia that so long ago, what would have changed? Would she have ground up a different mare with a mother who was able to share the truth of her feelings with herself? Would Sunset have... gone astray... if Blueblood hadn't done that so long ago? Fuck, it makes me hate him more now. She has him by the balls, at least, and can crush him like a bug.

But oh my, yes... Black coated mare with green magic now working for Cadance. Who is taking medicine and had a spitting out reaction to the drug. My my. I wonder who that could be. But more, I wonder what will happen when Chrysalis meets Sunset and Sunset meets Chrysalis. If you recall the vision of the future... Flurry mentioned 'Chryssy' like it was someone she could trust. Is Sunset going to be able to do what all the others have yet not been able to? Make peace with the Changeling Queen... and even bring her in on their side?

Sassy is getting exactly what she deserves with her good heart and skill. She is going to be a wonderful designer! And Fancy Pants... made me sad. I expected better of him. I had hoped he and Fleur could have a happy romance with him showing he wasn't the noble everyone thinks he was. Fleur deserves happiness and love. And it makes me wish she could join in on the herd of Sunset, Cadance, and Shining. She deserves some real love in her life from someponies who care about her. Not just being pretty side candy.

I'm glad Twilight Velvet is in Celestia's life again. Tia needs her, badly.

Twilight is still Twilight. Shiny is still a doof. I can't wait for him to go through military training. His assertiveness and his protective nature is so lacking without his confidence. He needs to become what he is destined to become. A strong and fit mate for both Princesses and future Emperor of the Crystal Empire.

And the hour of Nightmare Moon's return grows ever nearer... what differences will happen this time, I wonder...

Thank you for writing this! Its made me fall in love with Sunset all the more and the Sunset/Cadance/Shiny herd is so damn good its wonderful. I honestly hope you write the third in this series soon. I cannot wait to see where this universe goes next! I still need my sappy infatuated Sunset being all gaga over Shiny to read about!

Well, its over already, that was faster then I imagined. Look forward to the sequel.

Already with some interesting things set up, like Sunset being unable to recall the existence of Luna.
Fluer's love life looking like it is going to cause major trouble.
The political situation of the Twilight family.
And other things...still hoping this acceleration of time means something big down the road.

Im hoping that the sequal is after a time skip to sometime before the first season. IE one/two years

I know in Sunset Reset you said this was going to be a short story but wow. I was expecting ten chapters that would come out over a year, seven months was well under my estimate congratulations. Can't wait for the next story.

I was wondering what you're plans are regarding the MLP movie. Tempest was able to pass around a ball in her magic in the movies flashback and right now Twilight has problems with lighting her horn so they can't be too far apart in age (I'm guessing only a year or two, maybe three). Any plans for Sunset's impact on Tempest's life or are you not going to do anything with the movies storyline?

Aren't we still like 10 years out from NNM?

9087962
That would be nice I really I want to see what changes to the show Sunset would make but at the same time I feel like there would be a lot that would be skipped over in that time that would then have to be told in flashbacks. I'd rather wait for the next story to cover the show than to have flashbacks or just references to things Sunset did in that time that get no explanation.

Feels weird this is kind of so short (edit: I say this and then look up to see this is over 100k words. Lol). It resolves some important plots but still feels incomplete to me. The other one felt like it finished and wrapped up the key plot that was set out in the beginning but this one doesn’t and I don’t know why I feel that way. I’d probably need to reread to figure out what exact promises were made early on to the reader.

Well it looks like we are actually raising up the stakes in the story with NMM, Chrysalis around with Upper Crust and Hard Line isn't clear what happened to them, along with Princess Twilight still hiding somewhere. I wonder if we will see Shining's uncle as he was. I also been wondering if they also were agents of NMM while being a sleepers seeing their night themed life style? I really like that the story is now going into an interesting integrate.
I wonder if NMM and Celestia includes Princess Twilight as an accolade of the fact that she doesn't know her as such doesn't count as she isn't in her direct influence so she could come and interfere without killing Celestia in the process.

If you are looking up a cover art to reflect what's coming up conflict I am open for commissions if you are interested, here is my DeviantArt gallery link bellow.

https://www.deviantart.com/amalgamzaku

Hope yo hear from you soon

9088025

Because this is a setup fic, there's no big battle or major decision from the main title character, Sunset is just going on with her life and following through with something she decided on previously. Everyone else on the other hand has their own events and developments, but Sunset basically just walks down the aisle and puts on a crown.

So many channeling warnings, so many plot hooks... The next story is going be awesome.

Bonus points if Cadence's new assistant actually is an extremely competent pony with high pressure and convenient colors just too throw us out for a loop :rainbowlaugh:

9088054
I was actually thinking that myself. It would be a nice little twist just to throw us off.

I'm excited for the sequel. The first story was rough because there was some disconnect with the timelines but this felt more worked out and builds up from the rough start. The next one is sure to please.

I'm a little sad I woke up and got to read this so much later than the others, because as soon as I finished reading the "groomed black coat and teal braid" description, I went, "That's Chrysalis isn't it?". But now everyone else has tumbled to it first. Oh well, everything is shaping up to be a fascinating conclusion. Will the third story be similar in length to this one, or to SR, do you think? Or even longer? I almost don't want it to end, just reading millions of lines about Sunset in this story would be quite welcome if unfeasible to expect from you.

What is it with so many stallions using the name Buck ? Sassy asked herself in a moment of cognitive disconnect. It was the goto stand-in word for sex and usable as a curse for pony’s sake!

Sort of like Dick. As in Dick Vitale, the college basketball commentator for ESPN.

The updates came so fast, so frequent there in the last dash, I'm still reeling.
And then we get these delicious snippets, foreshadowing and peaks and all of the good stuff.
I am eagerly awaiting the sequel or even a side story. It's so good and after 2 'books' of this quality content I'm understandably HUNGRY for more.
Edit: After reading some comments I feel stupid for not noticing the obvious changeling in the room. Green magic, highly reccomended, takes 'special medicine' before drinking the ling revealer potion. Darnit me.

I thought the last chapter of a story was supposed to resolve issues. Very much looking forward to the sequel.

“Shiny!” Twily said in an exasperated tone. “It’s obvious that one is for going up, and the other is for going down.”

That's so dumb.

“You’re the Princess,” she replied evenly before sitting down, a neutral expression on her face. She looked down at the tea, then up to a large clock hanging on the wall. “One moment.” The black pony opened her pack with a glow of green magic that matched her eyes to withdraw a small red vial, which she uncorked and quickly downed. “It was time for my medication.”

Hm...

A sour look appeared on Fancy Pant’s face for a moment before he laughed it off. “Oh-hoho, my dear. That wit of yours, I actually believed you were serious for a moment. You know that we are above such things. At least, you are now,” he said with a smile. “The thought of actually doing something so common is…” The smile on his face turned to a grimace. “...horrendous.”

From what I'm seeing, he's not as bad as other nobles or noble kids, but due to his upbringing and his environment, there are some habits that are just, ingrained in him.

9088030
You know, prime Twilight could actually be a thing.


And I wonder if alGae will show up. Now THAT would be interesting.

9088040
As much as I am loving this series is Far going to get any love ?

Sassy took one long look at the number written out for her. She felt her brain nearly shut down as she blinked in surprise, struggling to find the right words to say. “This...this is...for my two dress designs?” With that much money, they could buy a house in Canterlot twice as big as their apartment with money left over for furniture and decor. Tasteful decor.

“What?” Mega Bucks asked before giving her a little laugh and waving off the question. “Oh, no. No, Ms Sassy. That’s just a little preliminary offer for each of the designs.”

A big name businesspony coming out of left field with an offer that sounds too good to be true? There's no way that can go wrong!

I have the feeling between the Princess of Harmony, the Princess of Love who has studied Crystal magic and is not a total pushover plus the budding elements I'd say Equestria is a lot more capable of surviving Nightmare Moon.

Reading chapter 7...Is Nightmare Moon aware from Sunset memories that she was back in Equestria as Luna and about the Elements of Harmony?

Also, I think Celestia and Cadence should talk with Sunset, and know all the story, the good and the bad. Nightmare Moon showed Celestia the bad. But there is good

P,S; When is the sequel?

I’m here real family, not you . ”

her
__________

As it was, just just felt a mild wave of anger and slight disgust at how alike they used to be when she got older.

delete? Or change (don't know what word you had meant to put there instead of a double 'just').
____________

Fleur looked back to him with a with a little smile. “Would you like to join them?” she asked. Missing the ounting with the princesses had been a huge disappointment, but there was something to be said for time spent alone with...the pony you were supposed to marry.

outing
___________

Well while we did learn why Sunset never asked. We don't see how Celestia never broached the subject. Or made an announcement that Sunset was ward of the Crown.

Still a good chapter, and a good lead in to the sequel to this.

9089031

But they can't tell her though. At least not directly. If they leak NMM or who she is to Sunset, Celestia instantly dies. If NMM messes with Sunset's or Cadance's dreams. Or puts them in her machinations pre-release. Then NMM dies. So it's a mexican stand off kind of.

But I would like for Sunset to be indirectly 'pointed' to stories of Luna and / or NMM.

9089307

They don't need to point it about NMM, Celestia only need to show interest on what happened to Sunset in the other world.

9089370
True, but she needs to be careful. Because NMM's rule would make it so that even if she does "show interest" (which she has shown Sunset she has), and Sunset gets asking about her sister. There's only so much she can say without pointing to NMM. Which makes things dangerous. But still has me interested in how they're going to go about it.

9089031
Sunset knows very little about what happened during the original timeline so probably not. Sunset doesn’t think that Equestria Celestia has a sister and when she saw the advertisements for the Princess Summit in the Crystal Empire, she only knew that 4 alicorns were attending. She was able to identify Celestia, Cadance, and Twilight, but not who the 4th one was.

9089651

But she knows about "The Element of Magic" as she tried to take it.

9089670

As Twilight was a fresh princess at the time of the summit, the paper Sunset read that mentioned her was basically a miniature biography so anyone who read it would know how big a deal she was without going into great detail. "Saved Equestria many times with the Element of Magic, that she now wears as a crown, bla bla bla oh, yeah, there's three other princesses here too, but you already know about them."

Oh look at that, "complete".
Can't wait for the next installment! Awesome story!

9089678
besides Celestia seems to think the elements won't help. failing to realize that neither her nor Sunset could use them to their full potential. i hope the Line family and the rest make it to the point where their princess is 'saved'. oh so many ways that can play out.

edit: i said something similar to the news thing a few chapters ago. i mean Twilight was the new princess on the block, Luna was basically last years news.

I wanted to see more time travelling Twilight and Spike and their reaction to the present that is Princess Sunset in this epilogue. But while it was a good epilogue it still left me just a tiny bit disappointed.

I mean, her shock would be glorious! And Sunset would be able to get one of her old friends back. A classic win/win, with hilarious timey-whimey twists. I mean, Twilight and Twilight shenanigans is not to be underestimated.

9090638
Also this Celestia's reaction to seeing original Twilight.

So... How long do you think before we see the sequel?

So very little of what Rainbow Dash implied in Sunset Reset's third epilogue has taken place. In fact pretty much just that she's met Twilight. But she also implied that Twilight was a princess but not an alicorn by that time, while also referring to Twilight's 'moms.'

I've been worried all through this story that something was going to happen to Twilight Velvet and Nightlight, because it seems that Sunset and Cadence adopting little Twilight is the only thing that really fits what Rainbow said. Course if they then marry Shining Armor... then Shining would technically be Twilight's adoptive dad as well as her brother.

“Why, Princess Nightmare Moon, of course.”

Skip forward to the day after the 1000th summer celebration and que them saying something similar to, "welp, that was a bad idea.".

9090638
What do you expect to see in the story? A temporary jump far to Sunset's future that would follow original Twilight? That very easily creates all kinds of narrative land mines for any long term story. With out that the only thing that might happen anytime soon in the story is Dash saying something to Twilight along the lines of "I see your moms made you get rid of those spells already" much to Twilight's confusion. In that epilogue Princess Twilight got sucked into the time vortex back into the present that will now be based off the Sunset timeline. With out some other time travel event there wont be an original Twilight for anypony to meet until however many years after Nightmare Moon's return Starlight's actions were.

9098965
I mean, yeah. Pretty much. We have already been given a glance into the far future in the chapters themselves. Poor little Shining got to see The goddess of the Shimmering Sunset, which I assumed to be a few centuries in the future. Of course it would be a bit of a disjointed scene which is why I understand they didn't go for it. I however wish they did, as bad writing as it is. I just love time paradox stories.

While I've liked both stories so far, I don't really see the need to end the story with a sequel hook when you can merely continue on this one. The first story ended with the resolution of its major arc: Sunset didn't return, and accepted her place in Equestria. The major arcs of this story haven't been resolved though. Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis are both threats, and none of the principle characters have really undergone significant transformations. This story is far too unfinished to be marked as finished.

Well, this is troublesome.

9135418
Agreed. It is a dictatorship afterall. Benevolent but still a dictatorship. I doubt there are citizenship rights.
Bonus points if can guess what I was referencing.

Hidden Figures cracked a little smile. “That, Your Majesty, is exactly why I am here.”

Hello Chrysalis, nice to meet you :pinkiecrazy:

9135967
Actually it's not a dictatorship. A Dictatorship is ruled via Dictation, and is under the rule of a single individual.

What they have is a Tetrarchy, or in this AU will end up being a Pentarchy. A Tetrarchy is a nation whose rule is divided amongst 4 individuals (Luna, Celestia, Cadance, and Twilight). Where a Pentarchy is five (the aforementioned + Sunset Shimmer). Although to be fair pre-Luna and Twilight, makes this AU a Triumverate (ruled by 3), with it priorly after Luna's fall a Constitutional Monarchy.

9191400
So an oligarchy, whatever same effective difference for the point I was making. The regular person still has no say and no inherent rights. Whether it is one or a half dozen makes little difference.

Login or register to comment