• Published 5th Jul 2019
  • 2,510 Views, 179 Comments

Potty Training Tales - SuperPinkBrony12



(A collab with Latecomer, open to all authors. Stories should be SFW with some potential PG content, rated Teen to be safe.) A collection of stories involving various characters undergoing potty training, to varying results.

  • ...
228
 179
 2,510

PreviousChapters Next
Apple Style (Big Sugar)

Author's Note:

Tags: [Sad] [Slice of Life]
Characters: [Big Sugar] [Big Macintosh] [Sugar Belle] [Applejack]
Written By: SuperPinkBrony12
Note: A loose continuation of “Housebreaking Applejack”, which was written prior to Big Sugar’s existence.

Autumn Glory (better known as Big Sugar to his friends due to his similarities to his parents, at least in terms of physical appearance) had more or less accepted the idea of potty training when he was told he was finally old enough for it. Despite some initial confusion about how his Auntie Applejack had originally not been particularly keen on using potties or toilets, he quickly grasped the overall concept and what was expected of him.

The outhouse training, as was tradition for every member of the Apple family, actually went pretty smoothly. Despite the fact that Sweet Apple Acres had long since gotten indoor plumbing inside the farmhouse, the outhouse was kept on hoof both because of Granny Smith’s insistence (she was always going on about how it had been with her family from the day they’d built the barn) and in case of “emergencies” whenever ponies were working in the fields.

Like his father before him, Big Macintosh led his son along to the outhouse and explained everything to the best of his ability while doing so. “You just gotta learn to feel the rhythm of nature as flows through your body, that’s how you’ll learn when you have to go pee pee or poo poo,” He told his son. “And when you do, you just come get me, your ma, or your Aunt Applejack and we’ll help you do your business. Don’t be ashamed if ya don’t get it right away, no sense tryin’ to rush it. Everypony learns at their own pace, after all.”

“Okay, Pa,” Big Sugar agreed as he was brought to the outhouse and escorted inside, soon spotting the large pit at the back of it. He gulped a bit even though he tried not to show outwardly that he was afraid. “So, I just gotta stand over… that until I… go?” He asked.

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh said with a smile and took off his son’s diaper. “Don’t worry, I’ll help ya get into the right position. Then you just let nature do the rest.”

Big Sugar cooperated, and it wasn’t long before he was using the outhouse like a pro. His progress coming as quite a surprise to his father, he’d been expecting a repeat of the difficulties his parents had faced in training him (Apple Bloom had been the only sibling who hadn’t had any real difficulty when it came to potty or toilet usage).

Sugar Belle, for her part, just smiled and winked. “I told you things would go much more smoothly this time.” She told her husband as she couldn’t resist bragging a bit. She’d prided herself on being a pretty quick learner in potty training, and it seemed her son was much the same.

It wasn’t long before Big Sugar proved ready to take the next step in his training: Transitioning to the indoor toilet. It was hoped that he would master it just as quickly as he had mastered using the outhouse.

However, before the training could begin in earnest, an unfortunate tragedy befell the Apple family. It happened quite suddenly, catching everypony by surprise even if they probably should’ve anticipated such an eventually. Granny Smith died. She didn’t even really take ill. But one day, seemingly out of the blue, her strength failed her and she was confined to bed. Only a few days later, she breathed her last and was buried beneath the tree that had grown from the seeds her son and his wife had planted all those years ago.

Everypony was devastated by this development, but Big Sugar took it especially hard since it seemed to him like he had barely gotten to know his great grandmother.

Naturally, with the Apple family distracted by grief and mourning, somethings began to slip through the cracks. Big Sugar’s toilet training was one of them. His parents didn’t seem to truly make an effort to get him to go on the toilet, or even just to the outhouse which he had mastered so easily just months prior.


“Pa.” Big Sugar spoke up one day almost three months to the day of Granny Smith’s death.

“What is it, son?” Big Mac asked. Was it supposed to be his turn to watch the kid? He couldn’t remember, so distracted was he as the more or less family head now.

Big Sugar whimpered and crossed his legs. “I have to go potty! Like really bad!”

“Oh, you do?!” Big Mac exclaimed as he looked up and saw the distress on his son’s face. “Well, why didn’t you say somethin’ sooner?!” He hurriedly took his son by the hoof! “Come on! Let’s get you to the toilet!” Now more than anything he wished he could teleport like his wife could do on occasion. It would make situations like these so much easier.

Father and son raced through the farmhouse, the stallion cursing under his breath that there was only one indoor bathroom and therefore only one toilet. It had never been a problem before, but now it seemed it was becoming a real issue. Why hadn’t he tried to talk Granny Smith into getting at least one more toilet built?

Well, those were thoughts for another time and place as Big Macintosh finally approached the lone indoor bathroom in the farm house. “Well… we’re here…” He panted, nearly out of breath.

Unfortunately, Big Sugar whimpered anew as he looked down at himself and sniffled. “Pa, I didn’t make it! I’m sorry!”

A quick look at the colt’s diaper indicated a clearly visible stain, and a familiar stench began to permeate the area.

Big Mac sighed. “It’s alright. You couldn’t help it. At least you tried to make it in time. Guess we’d better get you changed,” He took his son by the hoof. “Come on, let’s go back to your nursery and get you into a fresh diaper.”

“Am I gonna get another stormy cloud on my potty chart?” Big Sugar asked his dad as he was led away to be changed.

The stallion sighed anew. “I’ll talk it over with your ma and see what she thinks. How’s that, junior?”

Big Sugar smiled, feeling slightly better about the whole ordeal now that he had the slightest hint of reassurance that he might not be punished for his accident.


The very next day, Applejack could be heard voicing her displeasure of her nephew’s progress in his toilet training. And she made it clear in no uncertain terms as she lectured at length to his parents. “This has gone on for long enough!” She declared with narrowed and slanted eyebrows. “At this rate, he’s gonna be the only foal in his class, maybe the entire kingdom, who still wears diapers! He’s gonna grow up teased and bullied for the rest of his life because he can’t use a toilet like a proper pony!”

“But Applejack…” Big Macintosh tried to reason with his sister.

Applejack stomped a hoof down. “-But nothin’! I know we’ve all been distracted since Granny Smith died, but if she were here right now she’d agree with me that enough is enough! Bad enough we had one pony in this family who took forever to learn how to use toilets, ain’t no reason in the wide world of Equestria why we gotta let history repeat itself! You two need to start doin’ a better job at enforcin’ potty time, it’s the only way he’s ever gonna stop havin’ so many accidents!”

Sugar Belle’s lips quivered as she nervously protested. “Applejack, you all of ponies should know what it’s like to be a slow learner. I heard that story about how you didn’t learn how to use a toilet until you were in school, and you had to pick up bits and pieces from other ponies. Surely, you can relate. Big Sugar’s not like you when you were his age. He’s not a potty rebel. He’s just having a hard time adjusting, that’s all.”

Applejack wasn’t convinced for a second. “I ain’t proud of the fact that I had to learn toilet usage far later than I should’ve. Far as I’m concerned, that was one of the stupidest things I ever did when I was a youngin’! I’ll be darned if I let Big Sugar fall into the same trap! If he’s ever gonna learn to stop havin’ accidents in his diaper, he’s gotta learn here and now! And if you two ain’t gonna teach him properly, then I guess I’ll have to do it! And I ain’t doin’ for him what Ma and Pa did for me! He’s not gonna be so lucky!”

“You really think you can get through to him and get him to start using the toilet like he’s supposed to?” Sugar Belle asked with concern. “I don’t want him to feel like he’s being pressured into giving up his diapers, or that he’s being punished for things he can’t control. He knows how to use the outhouse. Isn’t that good enough?”

Big Macintosh shook his head. “Not if we want him to go to school. They may not exactly have toilets like the one we got here at the farmhouse, but they’re not the same as usin’ an outhouse. Besides, he’s gotta be able to learn how to tell when he has to go. Applejack’s right,” He told his wife. “Our son’s been in diapers for long enough. We let things slip away from us ‘cause of Granny Smith. But we can’t keep usin’ that as an excuse.”

Applejack smiled. “See, Sugar Belle? Big Mac agrees with me.”

Sugar Belle reluctantly replied. “Seems I’m out voted. Just please don’t be too hard on him. I don’t want him to hate the process.”

Applejack only replied. “You just leave him to me. I’ll set him straight and see to it that he starts usin’ the toilet like he’s supposed to.”


A little later, Applejack trotted into her nephew’s nursery and locked eyes with the colt. “Hey, Big Sugar,” She spoke up. “You got time to listen to your Auntie Applejack?”

Big Sugar nodded. “Uh-huh.” He suspected nothing.

Applejack took a deep breath and steadied herself in preparation for what she was about to do. “Listen, sugarcube, I know you’re probably not doin’ what you’re doin’ on purpose. I know you wanna be a big pony like your ma and pa, and like your Aunt Apple Bloom and I.”

Big Sugar nodded again. “Uh-huh, wanna be big pony.”

The farm mare then replied in a serious, straight tone of voice. “Then it’s time for you to stop slackin’ off. You gotta start learnin’ how to use the toilet like you’re supposed to. You should know by now when you have to go, and there’s plenty of grown-ups around to help ya out. So there ain’t no reason why ya should be havin’ so many accidents,” She gestured a hoof to a small calendar nearby. “Just look at your potty chart. When’s the last time it wasn’t filled up with storm clouds and frowny faces?”

The little colt whimpered. “Sorry, Auntie Applejack.”

Applejack took another deep breath. “Listen, I know what you’re goin’ through. I wasn’t exactly keen on usin’ toilets or potties, and Granny Smith told you why. I put off learnin’ how to use a toilet for as long as I could ‘cause I felt it wasn’t fair that I had to be boxed in like sheep or cattle. But eventually, I started realizin’ that was just ‘cause I wasn’t focusin’ on the signals my body was tellin’ me. If I’d just paid attention to ‘em, I’d know when I had to go and when I didn’t. Instead, I had to practically learn from scratch how ponies are supposed to take care of their business, instead of doin’ it doggy style.”

The cold said nothing as he recalled that story.

Applejack then told her nephew. “So you gotta promise me that, from now on, you’ll start makin’ far more of an effort to make it to the bathroom in time to use the toilet. You’ll start payin’ more attention to the signals your body’s givin’ you, so you’ll know when it’s time to go. If you can do that and can get good at not havin’ accidents, I’ll talk with your folks about lettin’ ya be bottomless around the house. And I’ll see about askin’ your Aunt Apple Bloom about lettin’ ya help her make zap apple jam. But that’s only if you can fill up your potty chart with smiley faces and gold stars, understand?”

“Yes, Auntie Applejack,” Big Sugar agreed, before asking. “Can you help me? I think I have to go potty.”

The farm mare smiled, taking her nephew by the hoof. “‘Course I can help ya, sugarcube. Come on, let’s go!” She led him down the hall to the bathroom, soon ushering him inside and pulling down his diaper while she helped him onto the toilet seat. “Okay, you know what to do now.” She told him and turned her head so as to give him some privacy.

Big Sugar sat down on the toilet seat for what felt like ages. He was so sure he had to go, but it felt like nothing was coming out. Had he misread his body’s signals somehow? “Auntie Applejack?” He asked again as he sat there, his legs dangling off the seat (which made him feel rather small).

Without turning around, Applejack replied. “What is it, nephew?”

Sheepishly, the colt asked. “How’d you learn how to use a toilet if your parents had to teach you how to go potty like a farm dog?”

The farm mare sighed. Ever since Granny Smith had mentioned that story, she’d had dreaded having to tell it to anypony who didn’t already remember it. But seeing as she figured telling it might help to pass the time and keep her nephew’s mind focused on things other than his current lack of potty training progress, she reluctantly decided to share the story anyway. “Well, as long as you don’t go repeatin’ it to everypony you know, I’ll tell you,” She tried to recall the long suppressed memories to the best of her ability. “It’s like Granny Smith said, I had to pick it up once I started goin’ to school.”


Applejack’s mind started flashing back to when she had been just a blank flank filly, attending school at the one room schoolhouse in Ponyville like all foals her age did. Unsurprisingly, every one of her classmates was also bottomless, including a unicorn filly with a pristine white coat who was named Rarity.

However, it wasn’t long before Applejack started running into a problem at school. A problem that none of her classmates seemed to have.

The farm filly hadn’t thought anything of the fact that there was no designated “potty time” at school (or in her case “walkie time”). After all, that’s what those strange, wooden things called “passes” were for. There was just one problem, the “passes” were solely for the school’s bathrooms: Those new fangled flush lavatories in an enclosed shed split down the middle: One side for colts and one side for fillies.

When Applejack attempted to use one of the “passes” to take care of her business, she was found out by the classroom teacher, Miss Harshwhinny (this was years before she would leave Ponyville and education to pursue a luxurious job as part of the Equestria Games Commission). The much bigger (and stronger) earth pony mare had picked the farm filly up by the neck after spotting her near the bushes by chance. “And just what do you think you’re doing, young lady?”

Applejack just bluntly replied. “I’m goin’ to the bathroom.”

Miss. Harshwhinny glared at the youngster. “I know you live on a farm, but I thought you were raised better than that. We do not simply ‘fertilze the soil’ and answer nature’s call in nature itself. The bathrooms exist for a reason, and all students are expected to use them.”

Applejack stuck out her tongue. “They’re just silly and a waste of time. I never use a toilet at home, I’ve always done it like this. Ma, Pa and Granny don’t seem to mind, and they say it’s good for the soil.” She puffed out her chest, feeling quite proud of her logic and reasoning.

The teacher simply scowled and snapped. “Well, you can be sure I’ll be having a talk with your parents about this. I don’t care what they let you do at home, while you are here at school you are only to go to the bathroom in the designated place. That is what the bathroom passes are for. Either that, or you’ll just have to hold it until you can go back home. There is nothing wrong with toilets, everypony uses them. We even installed the simpler squat moddle specifically because they are easier to use and easier to maintain.”

And that was the first and last time Applejack ever tried to go potty doggy style while at school. But of course, trying to hold it in wasn’t a viable alternative. Just the day after being caught by Miss. Harshwhinny for not using the bathroom properly, she ended up having an accident on the classroom floor right in the middle of class. Thank Celestia the floor was stuffed with straw.


Applejack was absent from school for the next several days after that. Denied her tried and true method for relieving herself, and unwilling to commit to using toilets or even a chamber pot, she had to be homeschooled, something her big brother enjoyed teasing her about.

Fortunately, help was to come to the farm filly in the most unlikely of ways: In the form of none other than the unicorn filly herself, Rarity.

By chance, one day, Rarity paid a visit to Sweet Apple Acres. She had found herself drawn to Applejack’s older brother in spite of his chatty ways, and hoped to ask if he might like to hang out with her for a while.

Instead of the chatty colt, however, the young fashionista to be happened to spot Applejack. And the farm filly was looking unusually glum, which was saying a lot considering she was usually so happy and so energetic.

“Whatever is the matter, Applejack?” Rarity inquired of the earth pony filly, trying to speak in that cultivated “sophisticated” voice of hers that she’d read about. “You haven’t been back to school for almost a week now.”

Applejack just frowned. “School is stupid! They expect me to go against my trainin’ and go potty in that gussied up outhouse with all them new fangled toilets! I don’t see why I should have to use them, unless I wanna be stuck standin’ over ‘em until I either do somethin’ or somepony says I can move again. My way works just fine, it ain’t my fault if the teacher doesn’t like it.” And she humphed, blowing a bit of steam from her nostrils.

Rarity’s response was to throw back her head and laugh hysterically. “Oh, is that all? Applejack, you’re really making too much of a fuss about it. There’s nothing wrong with toilets.”

The farm filly arched an eyebrow upward. “Really? My folks, my brother and my granny are all fine with just an old outhouse. No need to upgrade. Pa says the outhouse has been in the family since the farm’s foundin’.”

The young unicorn simply insisted. “Oh, but I think you’ll find that toilets are a much more fashionable and efficient way of taking care of one’s bodily needs. And you won’t have to do it doggy style all the time either,” She looked the farm filly deep in the eyes. “Surely, it can’t hurt to try. You do wanna be able to go back to school, don’t you?”

Applejack found herself agreeing with such an argument, if only so her big brother would stop making fun of her for not going there. She wasn’t really sure what it was Rarity was going to do, though. “If you really want me to try, I guess I will try. But there’s a reason why I don’t like usin’ a toilet or anythin’ else to do my business. It’s got nothin’ to do with what they are, I just don’t like bein’ trapped like some animal in its pen.”

Rarity waved a hoof. “It barely takes any time at all to use a toilet, provided you use it properly,” And she grabbed her fellow filly by the hoof. “Come on. My parents finally installed a flush toilet at my house,” Then she grumbled as she muttered. “Unfortunately, they built it into the same old outhouse we had before instead of moving it indoors where it would be so much easier to access. Even so, it beats having to depend on musty old chamber pots.”


After getting permission from Applejack’s parents to have Applejack “hang out” at her house, Rarity happily led the farm filly along, until finally stopping before a small, neglected looking shack with a crescent moon carved into its door.

“Don’t let the outside fool you,” Rarity boasted as she pushed the door open and led Applejack inside. “Behold: The wonders of indoor plumbing, the latest in lifestyle improvement!” She gestured a hoof to a small, elevated trench with gleaming silver pipes connected to it. “This is a genuine flush toilet! Well worth the expense Mother and Father paid to have one installed,” Then she sheepishly added. “Even if I’m really the only one who uses it. They seem quite content with their old chamber pots.”

Applejack trotted over, looking at the toilet. It was really nothing more than a boxed in trench with water flowing underneath it. “So, what?” She blinked as she asked the unicorn. “I just go in that?”

Rarity nodded. “Correct, Applejack. It’s not unlike if you were using the outhouse on your family’s farm. The only difference is that there’s no need to constantly empty it out. A toilet takes care of the disposal process entirely. Watch! I just step on this pedal here,” She stepped onto a colored pedal near the trench, causing a roar to ring out and the waters of the toilet began to recede. “And viola, it empties itself: No mess, no fuss.”

The farm filly gulped as she eyed the strange contraption. It had been tough enough being asked to wander all the way to the outhouse on the farm, or stumble onto a chamber pot inside. Now, she was being asked to “go” into something supposedly more modern.

“I know what you must be thinking,” Rarity commented as she approached Applejack. “It seems so daunting. But really, the only daunting part is getting to it in time. And once you learn to identify the signals your body makes, making it on time is never an issue.”

Applejack snorted. “That’s easy for you to say. You’ve got your fancy little horn that you can use to teleport wherever you want.”

But the unicorn proudly shook her head. “Oh no, I don’t have anywhere near that kind of magical mystery. I have learned much like earth ponies have learned, you simply need to learn the signals. That’s how you’ll know when it’s potty time.”

“Okay, so I just stand over this thing until I go,” Applejack realized. “Then what? How do I clean up?”

“Well, supposedly, there’s something called toilet paper that you use,” Rarity explained. “But Mother and Father were talked into using something more ‘hygenic’, at least for non-magic users,” She gestured a hoof to what looked like a shower nozzle attached to a hose. “You simply use that to clean your… rump as it were. And of course, when you are all done, you just step on the pedal. It’s called a flush. Just be careful not to accidentally dip your tail down, or else it’ll get caught in the flush cycle and then you’ll really be stuck.”

The farm mare (who was now standing over the toilet in a vaguely familiar position) was still uncertain. “I don’t know, Rarity. It all sounds so complicated.”

Rarity just smiled. “I think not. After all, you just did it already. You’ve been so distracted talking to me, you haven’t even noticed yet.”

Sure enough, when Applejack looked down, she saw that she had indeed used the flush toilet. It had been quicker than she had ever anticipated. “Wow! That was… actually pretty easy.”

Rarity nodded. “Indeed. With enough practice, it’ll become routine. And as long as you remember what I’ve taught you, you’ll never have to do your business like a dog ever again. You’ll be able to go to school, and nopony will ever make fun of you for not going potty the way you should.”


“And so it was that, thanks to Rarity’s help, I slowly but surely mastered toilet usage,” Applejack explained to her nephew as the flashback ended. Then she snickered. “In fact, I was actually toilet trained before my brother. He had to re-learn much like I did when he went to school. And of course, we had to learn again when we finally got an indoor throne style toilet built,” She then told the colt. “So, if even a pony like me can learn how to go potty the right way, I reckon you can too.”

But just as the colt was ready to give up, he felt something move inside of him. Next thing he knew, his tail hiked upwards and then there came a series of splashes. “I… I did it!” He exclaimed when he was all done!

Applejack turned around and smiled, clapping her hooves in approval. “Ya sure did, Big Sugar! Wait ‘til I tell your parents, they’re gonna be so proud of ya!”

“Do I get a gold star on my potty chart?” Big Sugar asked.

“That will be up to yer ma and pa, sugarcube,” Applejack replied as she pulled some toilet paper off from the nearby roll and used it to clean the proud colt's flanks before tossing it into the toilet. “But there's one thing y’all can do.”

“What is it?” Big Sugar wondered as he was lifted him off the toilet seat.

“You can flush the big pony potty,” Applejack answered she brought him to the silver handle on the upper left side of the tank. “Go ahead, flush it down!”

With a huge smile on his face, Big Sugar placed a hoof on the handle and pressed it down, causing the toilet to flush. He watched everything in the bowl spun around before being sucked down through the hole at the very bottom. Then the rest of the water swirls down the drain and disappeared. Moments later, it came back, being crystal clear again.

PreviousChapters Next