• Published 26th May 2018
  • 5,382 Views, 64 Comments

ALREADY?? - Level Dasher



Spike’s wings have grown in nicely, and ALMOST everyone is thrilled for him.

  • ...
9
 64
 5,382

He's A Natural!

“THIS… IS… AWESOOOOOME!”

“Rainbow, you’ve said that five times already,” Twilight groaned.

“Hey, I’m not tired of hearing it yet,” Spike replied with a smug smirk, crossing his arms as he leaned against the door of the school. “And I’m in complete agreement.”

Rainbow flew up to Spike again and lifted up one of his wings. “So you did like, one or two flips for practice and then zipped right up into the air?”

Spike shrugged. “Well, yeah. Guess it was just instinct. I mean, after all this time living with ponies…” He frowned. “I thought maybe that was why I hadn’t grown them yet. I wasn’t being raised with other dragons, so I wasn’t growing up the same way.”

Twilight walked up to him and said, “That’s not a bad deduction. Being raised in an environment other than one that’s native to dragons very well could have delayed your natural growth cycle. But…” She smiled and placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Look at you now!”

Spike thrust his claws up in the air with a huge smile. “I know!” He rubbed the back of his head and blushed before he added, “Y’know, sorry I thought you were gonna kick me out of the castle, Twilight. It’s just, well, with everything Smolder was telling me about how dragons ‘worked,’ I just kinda… got stuck in that mindset.”

Smiling again, Twilight responded, “I can understand that, but that’s one of the upsides of living with ponies, isn’t it?” She pulled him in for a hug. “You know we would never do that to you.”

“I know. Thanks.”

“Well c’mon, enough of this mushy stuff,” Rainbow Dash huffed. “Let’s get you airborne, buddy!”

“Heh, don’t have to tell me twice!” Spike cried as he shot up into the air.

Rainbow cracked a huge smile. “Hey! Come back here!” she yelled as she followed him.

The rest of the group all chuckled as they watched the two fly loops around each other.

“Well, I’ll be!” Applejack said. “Kid’s a natural! Just look at ‘im go!”

“I know. He’s a better flyer than me, and it took me years to gain any confidence,” Fluttershy agreed.

“And obviously he’s better than unicorn levitation,” Starlight added.

“Well, let’s just hope that Rainbow doesn’t turn our little Spikey-Wikey into a cocky ruffian,” Rarity said with a huff.

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that. He’s still learning.”

“Pinkie!” Twilight cried. “Where did you come from? Where have you been?”

“I was in the shouting closet! It’s a lot of fun in there!”

Applejack cocked a brow. “In the what now?”

Pinkie put a foreleg around Applejack’s withers. “Don’tcha worry about it, AJ. It’s a secret!” she whispered sharply.

“Umm… okay,” Twilight sighed. “Wait, Pinkie, if you’ve been in the school this whole time, how did you even know about Spike’s new wings?”

“Shaky head, swinging limbs, and copter tail!” she answered readily.

“Huh?” Starlight asked.

Twilight deadpanned, “Pinkie sense. Of course.”

“Well, that and I heard Smolder talking to Spike in the shouting closet and how all the weird-looking scales on his body were a totally normal part of a dragon growing up so I figured that would mean he would get wings too,” she responded.

“That’d certainly help,” Applejack said.

“See you girls later! I’m gonna go join them!” Pinkie said as she zipped off, then appeared moments later in her helicopter contraption.

Starlight looked up into the sky as Rainbow and Spike both allowed Pinkie to join them in their sky stunts. “Umm… Know what, no. I’m not going to ask.”

“Wise choice,” Twilight replied. “Make sure you three are back here in fifteen minutes! Rainbow! Pinkie! You have classes to teach! And Spike! I need you to help me in my office!” she called up to them.

“Darling, do you really think they’re going to come down that soon?” Rarity asked.

Twilight deadpanned as she walked back into the school. “If they don’t come back on their own, I’ll drag them down.”


As the Cutie Mark Crusaders walked down the path to town, Scootaloo turned to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. “Hey girls, I’ve been thinking.”

“Don’t hurt yourself,” Apple Bloom snickered.

“Ha ha, very funny,” Scootaloo retorted. “Anyway, what are we doing going to regular school with Miss Cheerilee when we could be going to Twilight’s Friendship school? There’d be tons of ponies and other creatures to meet, whole new things to learn… No offense to her, but Miss Cheerilee’s class is kind of boring.”

“I don’t think we’re old enough,” Sweetie Belle answered. “All the ponies there are at least a year or two older than us. I don’t know about how the other creatures look at age in their cultures, but for us I think it’s still too early.”

Scootaloo harrumphed. “First a dictionary, then an encyclopedia. What’s the harm in just going and asking?

Apple Bloom shrugged. “Well, true enough. I don’t see no harm in it.”

Thank you,” Scootaloo responded, gesturing to Apple Bloom before she continued walking.

Soon enough, the three of them found themselves in the school’s courtyard, where Rarity and Applejack were sitting beside the fountain and looking up into the sky.

“Rarity!” Sweetie Belle called as she approached her sister.

“Heya, Applejack!” Apple Bloom called in turn. “What’cha lookin’ at?”

“And where’s Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo finished for the three.

Applejack’s and Rarity’s eyes both went wide as they zipped up to the three of them, blocking their upward view.

“Hello, girls! W-what brings you three here?” Rarity asked.

“Shouldn’t y’all be out helpin’ others with their cutie marks?” Applejack added. “Or doin’ your homework?”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “There haven’t been a lot of problems to fix lately.”

“And school has been kind of boring,” Sweetie Belle added.

“So we wanted to talk to Twilight about enrolling here!” Scootaloo finished.

Rarity raised a brow. “Girls, you do understand that this is a school for teaching friendship, don't you? If there's anyone your age that's mastered that life lesson, it's you three.”

Applejack continued, “Absolutely. 'Sides, y'all do realize that it’d be your sisters teachin’ ya, right? You sure you wanna have that?”

“Sure,” Scootaloo said with a shrug. “I bet Rainbow Dash is a great teacher! Hey, where is she?” she asked again, backing up to look skyward.

Applejack zipped in front of her again. “I, uh, I think she went and turned in for a nap! Y’know, long day teachin’ and whatnot.”

“Yes, darling, I believe I saw her go… that way!” Rarity added, pointing behind her.

“…Into the school?” Scootaloo asked with a cocked brow.

Rarity looked behind her to see where she was pointing. “Err… yes! She brought a cloud into her classroom!”

“Hey, I think that’s her up there!” Sweetie Belle called, pointing up at the sky where rainbow and purple figure-eights were going back and forth between each other.

“Sweetie Belle, I swear…” Rarity mumbled under her breath.

Smiling, Scootaloo said, “Hey! Yeah! Wow, Twilight’s gotten much better at flying.” Waving, she called out, “Rainbow Dash, down here!”

The swirling stopped for a moment, then the two blurs started moving in the girls’ direction. After a moment, Rainbow Dash and Spike dropped down in front of them.

“Heya, Squirt! What are you—” She quickly cut herself off before her eyes bulged and she glanced over at Spike.

“Hey, girls!” Spike said with a smile. “Check it out! My wings finally grew in! This is awesome!” He quickly shot back into the air and left the three mares together with their respective sisters.

Rainbow Dash’s mouth hung slightly as she looked over at Rarity and Applejack.

“We tried,” they both replied in unison.

The three of them, along with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, slowly looked over at Scootaloo, whose eyes were bulging as her mouth also hung open.

Scootaloo’s eyes followed Spike as he loop-de-looped around the school like he’d had wings his whole life. Her expression then fell into complete neutrality as she casually walked up to the fountain behind them. Her face was then introduced to the side. Multiple times.

“WHY! DOES! EVERY! PONY! OR! DRAGON! GET! TO FLY! BEFORE! ME!”

Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her mane as she walked up to Scootaloo. “Heh… Hey Squirt, how’d you like to, uh… molt?”

Author's Note:

This is the first time I've ever tried to jump and be one of the first to get a story out based on the latest episode. I'm amazed at the reception it's gotten. I tried to put in the two things everyone is likely thinking—Rainbow is gonna be psyched about Spike having his wings, and Scootaloo is going to be absolutely mortified that he can fly before her.

Hope you enjoyed!

Comments ( 64 )

Poor Scootaloo

MJP

oh spike, you always cause your own problems:trollestia:

I feel sorry for Scootaloo since she's had wings way longer and still is unable to. Spike has only had wings for a short amount of time, and his mastered them I really feel sorry for scoots

:twilightoops: Spike crashed!
:raritystarry: Oh, Precious Pint are you all right?
:moustache: Whoa wut happened ? One moment I was flying then I saw Rarity then WHAM!
:rainbowlaugh: Ha ha ha ha ha 'snort' he he he ha ha ha Wing Boner!
:duck: Rainbow Dash how rude poor little Spikey Wikey could of gotten seriously hurt!
:rainbowwild: wing boner!
:raritycry: Rainbow!
:moustache: wing what?!
:rainbowkiss: Boner!
:raritystarry::facehoof:

8948806
That's terrible. Hilarious, but terrible.

All of the plot is a setup for the one joke at the end... Does that still categorize as a comedy? I mean, the story's short, which gives a place for controversy in this one... Tough to call.

To the story itself, CMC wanting to go into Twilight's school is an interesting idea. And pegasi' reactions to Spike's transformation didn't disappoint. Nice story overall.

8948648
Yeah poor Scootaloo indeed!

MJP

8948847
saying "everyone" is not an established custom cause ponies are still the dominant race in equestria's borders

8948847
Well, this one isn't really as fleshed-out as most of my other stories. It was meant to essentially be a speed run to get it up as soon as possible after the episode aired. I'm sure I could have done better with the conversation(s), but again, speed was the biggest factor.
In terms of the exclamations, each one is supposed to be accentuated by a pound to the fountain. When it comes to that in other comedies I've seen, there's never more than two syllables with each pound, which is why the word is split that way. And the reason for the pony-plus-dragon as opposed to just everyone is because of how she's so used to saying 'everypony.' Then there's the split-second realization that Spike is, indeed, not a pony.
Thanks for the input! :twilightsmile:

8948848
Yeah, I figured that given the short length, I could get away with calling it a comedy when it's just a one-joke setup. In terms of the Crusaders going to the Friendship school, apparently that's the plot behind the next episode.

This needed to be told.

Comment posted by Hillbe deleted May 27th, 2018
ANW

Filter's off, and and it's still number 6 on the featured list.

8948847
Because Every ONE would include Yaks.

8949055
Woah! :pinkiegasp: Thanks! Fixed! :pinkiehappy:

Awesome! Finally, something in the Nepotism Box that's actually good!

He should show this to the Crystal Empire!!!

8948738
If this wasn't a kid's show, we'd have an episode of Scotaloo reacting to this by now. Sweetie Belle now has magic, Spike now has wing... And of course Pound Cake being able to fly while in diapers.

Wow, this was quick and great story by the way....although poor Scootaloo. She's going to have to move to Seaquestria to have even the slightest sensation of flying.

8948738
Heck, he mastered them faster than Twilight, so much so that at one point I was sure the episode was going to have Twilight call it out. :rainbowlaugh:

Nice one-shot! A slightly more comedic route than the one I took for my story based on this episode, but none the worse for it. The last line especially gave me a good chuckle. :rainbowlaugh:

8949249
But Yona isn't Flying, She's Being Carried, just like what Rainbow does for Scoots.

I said it once, I'm a say it again: Hasbro, you should've waited. XD

This is how Scootaloo would react but I think more could be done with the concept.

8949730
See here --> 8948883 :twilightsmile:
But yes, absolutely.

Technically speaking this is pretty well written. That said, the ending seemed abrupt. Or, rather, even though this is a very short story it still seemed like a lot of buildup for comparatively little payoff. Not to be that guy, but if anything it mostly feels like the first chapter setting up a longer story.

Maybe the problem is that, like, 90% of this reads like a standard slice of life story that doesn't seem to be heading for a punchline? I dunno. Might have been funnier if there'd been more consistent focus on keeping Scootaloo from seeing Spike fly.

You know it’s a bit of a cunt move to have a fat fucking spoiler as your story image and your description, especially since it being featured forces people to be exposed to said spoiler

Well, this was bound to happen. Still don't understand why the writers for this show even did that to Scootaloo. Like really, why?!:applejackunsure:

Nice story.:moustache:

8949459
You know, technically Twilight's first flight seemed just fine too. It took until the next season opening that we learned that wasn't the case.

8949858 8948848 8948847
Yeah, it sounds like quite a few of you are saying this could be expanded upon, and you're right. Again, this was meant to be a speed run (My intention isn't to keep throwing that in people's faces and say "Speed run! Shut up!", that's just the reason for it being so short), but yes, there are probably some parts I could have elaborated on to give more setup and possibly more than just the one punchline, but when it comes to speed writing, I don't really have that much practice yet. In the future if I try one of these episode speed runs again I'll hopefully put a little more... well, thought into them. :twilightsheepish: The only issue I see with trying to keep this story going is that I'd likely end up needing to drop the comedy tag.
Thanks for the critiques!

8949877
I don't know why people are downvoting your comment, because... well, you're totally right. I mean I've seen other people do the same with new episode stories, and given the fact that this was happening was leaked ages ago I figured nobody would be surprised (not really an excuse, though). That, and I never imagined this would hit the featured box.
So if it spoiled it for you, sorry. If you're just making the statement, well... point still taken.

not sure what the comedy is?

Yeah, I gotta agree with most people. It's not a bad story at all, but the synopsis makes it seems like the story is about Scoots reacting to Spike having wings, rather then that just being the punchline.
Not bad but I guess I came in different expectations.

8949993
I'd expect people are downvoting the comment due to the vitriol involved; though there may be a point there, nobody wants to listen to someone being toxic about it.

Cupcakes,Life Is A Party,The Cupcakes Were A Lie, And Serial Murderer
That's Now What You Think Of The Pink Party Horse!
Because Of Cupcakes! :D

8950223
Yeah, despite only a relatively few people actually outright saying so, that would appear to be the consensus—not enough build-up and only a one/two sentence punchline.
I think enough people have given the critique (and a few even wonder why the [comedy] tag is even there) that I may end up expanding this to have at least one more chapter so the synopsis is more accurate. For now I'm going to keep this marked as complete, but I'll see if I get inspired. If I do, the [comedy] tag may end up being dropped, but enough people have put the story in a 'Favorites' shelf that they'd see if/when it updates. I'd have to wait a little while before I do because of certain reasons, but I just hope I wouldn't end up taking the genre in the completely opposite direction, which I think would be what most people would expect. I could certainly try and maintain the comedic aspects, though. Guess I'll just have to see.

Oh Scootaloo, can't catch a break can you.

Keep up the good work my good man.

I know this is a week way to advertise but I just got done with a story called The Hearth's Warming Surprise I'm really happy how it's going and it'd mean a lot if ya'll good come too. Thank you :twilightsmile:

8949171
You do realize that it's automated, right? No one "chooses" what stories go there.

8950539
I'm memeing, this is a genuinely good story.

8950601
Once or twice on the show. I THINK the first time it happened was when they became "Honorary sisters."

Why cant Scoots fly? Because if she had a Little Nelli autogryo wheelchair, people would be complaining even more about where the flying cars where and why cant we have things that can fly by falling with style.

That, and if the rotor blades can be locked, Scoots can Turbo boost and manouver far faster. She has propulsion, not lift. just like Apollo.:pinkiecrazy:

Now that I think of it, when was the last time we saw the Pinkie-sense in the series?

Don't worry, girls, you'll figure it out in the next few episodes :trixieshiftright:

Yes, yeees, RD absolutely must teach Spike how to fly and go on races with him! Scootaloo is just gonna have to scoot on her scooter a liiiitle bit longer.

So now Spike having wings in DaD is slightly more canon.

8949993
I don't know about everyone else, but as for me, I downvote not because he doesn't have a point, but because he was vulgar about it. Sure, the image is a spoiler for the episode. But one could easily craft a comment showing just as much annoyance, if not more, without having to resort to having every third word be a swearword.

8950223
Ditto. I think that deadpansnarker's story approached that angle a bit more closely.

Nonetheless, for what it was, this was a good story.

8949993
I apologize for being incredible fucking bitchy there, I was pretty triggered by the spoiler; but of course you couldn't control whether or not it would be featured and I truly believe it wasn't your intent to ruin the episode for people. I'm not happy that it got spoiled for me but like
it's just a tv show
sorry for being an asshole

8948806
In addition to this fanfic, this comment should be canonized, lol. Of course "boner" would have to be replaced since it's a kid's show, but still.

And why is everypony all up in a tizzy about the image? I don't like spoilers either, but the image could easily be, oh I don't know, fiction, just like everything else on the site? Simply seeing Spike with wings shouldn't be enough to spoil the story. He could be daydreaming again, it could be a fan's idea ("fanon") (which is what I thought of the image at first). You seriously have to make several assumptions along with the image for it to spoil the context.

By any chance, have you actually watched Marks for Effort? Does Spike appear in it?

8952203
I watched a version that was in... I think either Russian, Finnish, Polish, or something like that. I didn't understand a word either way. I only did it to see what the end result would be (by way of visuals alone—no spoilers this time), and if I could work it into an upcoming chapter (which I am now trying to work on—it would likely be the only other one). I don't think I can, but I don't think it really matters.
But yes, Spike is in it in the beginning for all of 20 seconds total, and Scootaloo does see him flying...

8949993

Yeah, it sounds like quite a few of you are saying this could be expanded upon, and you're right.

To reiterate: I'm not saying you should do that. Just that it reads sorta like that was the intention, structure-wise.

Login or register to comment