• Published 9th Feb 2016
  • 25,736 Views, 1,914 Comments

Small Scale - Twinkletail



A female dragon mistakes Spike for an abandoned hatchling.

  • ...
53
 1,914
 25,736

Epilogue

It was quite late by the time everything had been taken care of, and Spike and the girls were tired. But it was all worth it in the end.

Moving a dragon's possessions from one cave to another, especially across such a distance, would have been nigh-impossible under normal circumstances. With the powers of an alicorn princess, though, it was far easier. They were all quite grateful for teleportation magic, but the task of moving all the furniture once it was actually in Celia's new cave was still enough to wear them out.

The dragon town in the mountains wasn't quite as far from Ponyville as Spike had thought. It was still quite a trip, but if he had tried to escape on his own and found his way out of the town, it would have likely only been about a half a day's journey back home. That is, if he chose the right direction to go. He was rather glad he didn't in the long run.

The town was set to choose a new shaman, one who would hopefully not be as corrupt as the previous one. Celia, however, was not around to see it. As it turned out, the cave that the ponies had chased that dragon from a while back was still unclaimed. Plus, it was rather close to Ponyville, making it the perfect new home for Celia. Visiting would be a cinch for Spike, and he vowed to do so as often as he could. And a dragon never broke his vow.

"Are you sure you're ready for bed?" Twilight asked as she opened the door to Spike's room. "I thought 8:00 was too early a bedtime for a mature young dragon like you."

"Normally it is," Spike agreed. "But I think we can both agree that I've had a tiring few days."

"You certainly have," Twilight said, waiting for him to climb into bed. "By the way, Cadence and Shining Armor say hi. And Flurry Heart really wanted to see you."

"She can't even talk yet," Spike said with a smirk, climbing into bed. "How would you know that?"

"Trust me, I know," Twilight said with a giggle. "And before you ask, yes, I did pick you up some of those delicious Crystal Empire gemstones you love so much. I'd give them to you now, but you know my policy about snacks in bed."

"I-I could get out of bed!" Spike offered quickly. A yawn was quick to fight that desire, though.

"They'll be there for you tomorrow," Twilight said with a smile.

"Right..." Spike said. Then he sat up. "Oh! Uh, I have to make a wish to Bahamut before I sleep."

"A wish to Bahamut?" Twilight asked.

"It's a dragon tradition," Spike explained. Twilight giggled lightly.

"Go on, then," the alicorn said.

"I wish," Spike said. "That Celia will be happy and eventually have a whelp of her own."

"That's very noble of you, Spike," Twilight said with a smile. She leaned in and gave Spike a kiss on the forehead. "Goodnight, Spike. I love you."

"I love you too," Spike said, before hesitating for a moment. "...Mom."

Twilight had started to walk out, but turned around at that. She stared at Spike in surprise, tilting her head.

"Was that too much?" Spike asked.

"Not at all," Twilight said, blinking back a few little tears.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, whose turn is it to raise the sun tomorrow?"

Bahamut gave Celestia a little grin. The manner in which she'd asked was so cheeky, but that came as no surprise. That was exactly the Celestia that he'd known for centuries.

"Perhaps I shall, if you don't mind," Bahamut said. "It's been quite a while."

Author's Note:

And thus ends the largest number of words I have ever written in the span of 12-13 days.

Thank you all so much for all the reception you've given this story. It was an absolute delight to write, amidst all the ups and downs of the story, all the praise and criticism of the way I've taken it, and absolutely everything. Thank you all so very much. It's been a blast.

Comments ( 241 )

Those 2000 year naps make it hard to keep the sun rising on schedule, I see. :ajbemused:

brilliant!

I wonder if Spike is one of the stolen eggs

Ermagersh!!!! HNNNNNGNH!!! *We are terribly sorry, but this reader has died due to the sheer beauty of this epilogue, we will now return you to your usual programming*

fanon44 #5 · Feb 19th, 2016 · · 11 ·

I like this story but i felt that it turn out the Shaman was lying about Spike being brainwashed was not a good idea to put in the story. just felt underwhelming.

This was fantastic I would applaud you if I could but I'm unfortunately I am writing this review on my phone right now for some reason when I try to put you YouTube on my review through my phone it won't work but this was a fantastic story I loved it

well it seems the SPANISH INQUISITION was wrong and it turns out sharman was a bad guy so i aplogise

This story was great, def one of my recent favs. But I was kinda hoping Celia got a kid in the end, like maybe Celestia or someone else found an abandoned one, but oh well it was still awesome.

Cute ending. And it sounds like Celestia does most of the sun raising, by the way Bahamut responded to her quip. Question though, does another dragon help with the moon too, or is that hunk of rock Luna's alone(when she's not consumed with rage and jealousy and subsequently bound to it)?

This was an adorable story, thank you for writing it!
(though I find it very odd that none of the dragons ever actually went to the village to try and get their eggs? With how angry Celia was at the shaman for admitting it, surely SOMEdragon would at least go and look at, if not rampage through, the town and notice it was empty...)

6953668
Yeah that bothered me a bit. Either dragons are a meek bunch, or perhaps the shaman magically influenced them in some way. Or maybe the author didn't think of it?

Sun-gods taking turns? Makes for an interesting religion.

Cute ending, but the shaman didn't die. I must make good on my promise to give the story a thumbs down.

What a heartwarming end. The town’s going to be free of the brainwashing, Celia’s back, the shaman’s gone, all is right.

"So, whose turn is it to raise the sun tomorrow?"

PPFFFFFTTT! That's one way to explain it!

6953686 Never said he didn't die either, who knows what that unfinished buisness actually was.

6953688
Deductions can be made. A rather simple deduction is that there's no way he's Celia's because her egg was sold off. I highly doubt Celestia would've just up and bought a dragon egg like it's just a thing to do, when she's apparently such good friends with Bahamut.

It was a nice short story. I admit that I'm seeing Twilight more as a sister than mother figure for Spike, but it fit well for this story! :yay:

Only thing I'm wondering is her egg. I hoped there would be some explanation about the possibility that Spike could have been that egg.

Oh, and another thing I'm wondering about is how her egg came to be in a sense. Well, in the sense of where is the father? It was never mentioned. Did he leave her once the egg was stolen, or is this a cultural thing like, male dragons have their loose fun, without binding them to a female, while the dragonesses do the raising? Just curious! :pinkiesmile:

Really great story!

For a while, I thought you were going to reveal that Celia's stolen egg was in fact Spike. :pinkiegasp:

Comment posted by yolo003 deleted Feb 20th, 2016

Two colossal holes in the story:
1. If the Pony town was long abandoned, how did the Dragons NOT know that? They can fly. Surely they would have seen the absence of residents.
2. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE STOLEN EGGS!? If MY baby was taken and fucking SOLD to somebody, you had better believe that I would move Heaven, Earth, and Hell to get them back and woe to ANYBODY who got in my way.

Well... it's over!

And holy crap the shaman sold the eggs? Jesus... at least he has the decency to feel bad about it.

Of course, for a baby abductor it probably wasn't anywhere near as bad as it should be.

And I'm glad that we have a happy ending for Celia, although she probably needs at least a nominal punishment. Something kind to her but still a punishment like some variety of community service. Or outreach to ponies. Which I guess she's doing?

Anyway, congratulations for putting this out on such a schedule and having it get the reception it did.

Loved it, until:

"I love you too," Spike said, before hesitating for a moment. "...Mom."

Too cheesy. Plus, Spike even said that Twilight isn't Mommy in Winter Wrap-up. Still, very entertaining story.

6953721
To answer your second question, what happened was FUEL! FUEL FOR FUTURE STORIES! FUEL FOR OTHERS TO SHARE THEIR OWN STORIES WHERE CELIA MAY BE IN! FUEL! FUEL FOR THE FANFICTION FORCES!

.........
On the one hand, I did expect a happy ending. It was a given really....but for some reason this has not satisfied me. It is TOO clean, too NICE for my taste. I wanted Spike to be returned to himself, but the way it was done was....quick. I know it'd be too much to expect an epilogue of Spike on the slow road to recovery, remembering more about his life with each passing day, his friends there supporting him, but that doesn't stop me from hoping it. Then, to so quickly let Celia off the hook, when most any sane individual after being forcibly retarded (if even for only a brief amount of time).....that's the sort of thing where, while you may forgive them, you'd never forget, or be able to trust them in the same capacity again. It is the same problem I had with the season 5 finale. It feels as if her negative actions are the cause for her reward, without any noticeable repercussions.

As for the Shaman......yeah, this does not sit entirely well with me either. Personally, I'd let the ENTIRE village know the things he's done (Spoken by Bahamut to make sure there is no chance for him to weasel his way out) then let them deliver justice. Preferably supplying them with an array of dragon sized torture gear as well.

So, in the end, I give this story a 6/10. It had some good ideas going for it, but I don't personally feel they were as well executed as they could have been. Again, this is just my opinion.

...Is it weird that I kind of ship Celestia and Bahamut? XD

Also, I like the idea that they take turns raising the sun!

Hmmm. Would this lead to a sequel where traces of the sold eggs are gradually acquired and allowing a travel across the lands with Celia to help reunite the whelps with their original family, provided theirs aren't like Spike's?

There are several plot holes in the story, as others have undoubtably noted by now in the comments, but overall, an enjoyable read.

The end flagged a bit, but the banter between Celestia and Bahamut was a nice touch.

"I love you too," Spike said, before hesitating for a moment. "...Mom."

Yah, that was probably the only line I didn't like in this whole story. Not that I don't think Twilight and Spike could have a mother son relationship, but it needs to be established better. And in this story it just never hit that note. Especially when Spike was getting on so well with Celia. Yah, that plot was left dangling in the wind.

This was absolutely magnificent. I commend you on a job well done.

6953764

Gah, good catch on that! I guess my mind temporarily went back to seasons 1-3 :raritywink:

FUCKEN CALLED IT!

6953653 The SPANISH INQUISITION was, indeed, wrong and apologized. How unexpected.:moustache:

story started up nicely but that last chapter aka disney happy ever after cliche left a bad taste in my mouth.

that my opinion

6953631
I guess we'll never know.

Sorry, I'm going to have to give you a downvote but, in the name of fairness, I will explain why.

It may just be my taste in choices of conflicts, but it felt like you took the build-up to the actual conflict, drew it out far too long, and then ended the story rather than letting it start to run when you ran out of ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (eg. the moment when the shaman said Spike was brainwashed).

I was hoping for a story where Celia and Spike interacting was akin to a debate and both parties slowly come to see the reason in each other's viewpoints but, instead, this felt like one of those Christian vs. atheist debates where both sites have already heard the arguments a million times and don't come out of it with anything new. (Celia barely listened to Spike and, when you ran out of ways to prolong that, you brainwashed him.)

For example, there was a hint of what I was looking for when it seemed like Spike was going to start to realize that maybe he'd grown up too fast and that it was worth letting Celia introduce him to what he'd missed, but you touched on that so little overall, that it felt disappointing.

To be fair, one of my pet peeves is stories centered around inter-personal conflict where the only thing that prevents them from being resolved "just like that" is that nobody is willing to listen to each other with little justification for being that shallow, so it really didn't help that Celia not listening to Spike was the driving conflict rather than merely being sort of a catalyst for it.

Either way, there is one thing which would work as a sequel to this or the story I wish it were: A slice-of-life story which explores Spike and Celia interacting as she slowly slips into being something along the lines of an honorary aunt.

And there's our happy ending.

YAY! :twilightsmile::pinkiehappy::ajsmug::rainbowwild::raritystarry::yay:

Just the way I like 'em. Good show! :moustache:

Yay, happy ending all around. That last scene between Twilight and Spike was really sweet, a great bookend to the first chapter. Not to mention Spike growing closer to Twilight too. Though given how big a role she played, I almost wish Celia had shown up (and I still have mixed feelings about her), but everything was wrapped up, so this is fine as is. Good fic, and glad you finished it so quickly.

To address some loose ends (and here I thought I was tying everything up in the end, haha :twilightsmile:

1) The dragons were not aware of the fact that the town at the bottom of the mountain range was abandoned due to the shaman spreading lies about the ponies. He had them convinced that despite their superior strength, their superior magic and technology had ways of neutralizing and enslaving them.

2) The father of Celia's lost egg is out of the picture. The way I see it, he blamed Celia's inattentiveness for the loss of the egg. A bit harsh, but he wasn't the best of dragons.

3) This might seem like a copout, but the whereabouts of the eggs that have been sold is left a mystery. I wanted to leave some things uncertain to let the readers' imaginations wander. Which leads me to...

4) Whether or not Spike is Celia's actual child is left ambiguous for this very reason. I tried to avoid timelines for the loss of the eggs or anything that would directly prove or disprove a potential familial bond between the two. Again, it might seem like a copout, but I wanted that to be completely up to the reader. I have an opinion on it, but since the author of the story telling their opinion on a subject like this could very easily be seen as "This is the way it is," I'll keep it quiet :raritywink:

Feel free to poke me about any other loose ends I might have missed!

I liked this ending, as well as the story in general. But there are two outstanding issues:
1) Spike's actual parents had their egg stolen by the shaman. They have a strong legal claim to his custody, no matter what Twilight wants. It seems likely to me someone is going to come to Celestia demanding their "purple-spotted egg" back soon.

2) The other dragon eggs, what happened to them? That may be beyond the scope of this story, and it could be resolved off-screen, I'd just like to know what Bahamut intends to do about it.

"So, whose turn is it to raise the sun tomorrow?"

Bahamut gave Celestia a little grin. The manner in which she'd asked was so cheeky, but that came as no surprise. That was exactly the Celestia that he'd known for centuries.

"Perhaps I shall, if you don't mind," Bahamut said. "It's been quite a while."

Ah-ah! :pinkiegasp: Mystery solved!

An excellent story with a wonderful ending!

The final reveal of the bad guy... I didn't call it, but I could have and should have.

6953794 I think your reasoning for the spike-not-related to Celia was valid. The Story isn't about spike rediscovering his mother, but about Spike connecting with his dragon and pony heritages, and balancing them out

A very entertaining story indeed. ... though perhaps you might want to tell us more in detail what happened to Mr. Shaman?

Great ending it seem everything was a happy ending after all.

6953794
He convinced a town full of dragons that they should fear a town of ponies to such a degree that they made no effort to retrieve their eggs? Dude must have maxed out his charisma.

6953824

The way I see it, he's spending quiiiiiite a long time locked up in the most well-protected of dragon prisons. And one would assume that there would be some prisoners there who might not be very happy when they find out what his crime was...

6953829

Oh absolutely. I saw him as charismatic in a slimy way. Where the ones who looked from the outside were like "what does anyone see in this guy" while the ones who he preached to hung on his every word.

6953838 6953829

Sooo basically he's the town's Starlight Glimmer?

6953653 wouldn't be the first time people were lead astray.

Login or register to comment