• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 17,975 Views, 472 Comments

Scootaloo's Sunrise Surprise - MythrilMoth



Scootaloo's friends visit her house one weekend, and get the surprise of their lives when they find out what Scootaloo's home life is really like.

  • ...
51
 472
 17,975

Epilogue

It was almost dark when the five Equestrians stood in front of the statue outside CHS.

"It...it was good seeing you again, Daddy," Sunset said. "And..." She reached out and messed up Scootaloo's hair. "I'm glad I got to meet my sister." She laughed. "My sister! I tell you...my friends here won't ever believe this."

"Sunset...will you ever come back to Equestria?" Summer Storm asked.

Sunset sighed. "To visit, maybe," she said, shrugging. "I dunno. I...don't think I'll ever come back to stay, though. My life is here now."

Summer Storm bowed his head. "I understand," he said. "I just...I wish we hadn't lost so many years..."

"Yeah..." Sunset smiled. "Don't worry, I'll...I'll keep in touch. Twilight'll pass along news from over here."

"I sure will," Twilight said with a smile.

Scootaloo ran forward and hugged Sunset one last time. Sunset laughed and tousled her hair. She looked up at Rainbow Dash. "Take good care of my sister," she said.

"You know I will!"

Summer Storm stepped forward and embraced Sunset. "Goodbye, daughter," he said. "Take care of yourself. I'm proud of you...I love you."

Sunset sniffled. "I love you too, Daddy."

Twilight, Summer Storm, Scootaloo, and Rainbow returned to Equestria. Sunset stood in front of the portal for a long time, wiping tears from her eyes, before turning to leave.

* * * * *

Not much really changed in the day-to-day lives of the Cutie Mark Crusaders in the wake of discovering Scootaloo's secret. They still went on their little adventures, they still got covered in tree sap, and they still had two complete pains in the rear to deal with. However, they now bore the taunting and barbs from Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara with secretive snickers, and every afternoon, promptly at four, they took tea in the clubhouse. Applejack and Big Macintosh had been let in on Scootaloo's secret, but Sweetie Belle had elected to keep Rarity in the dark, and seemed to take a certain pleasure in doing so.

They also discovered, to Scootaloo's surprise, that Pinkie Pie already knew about Scootaloo's real name and her very important family. She also knew things even Scootaloo herself didn't know, such as Silver Spoon's mother, Silver Lining, being the butler, Silverbolt's, sister.

A week after their first visit to Cumulus Court, they were invited back. This time, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle met Scootaloo's father, who thanked them for being such good friends to his daughter, and welcomed them to visit whenever possible.

And twice a month, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, two sisters got together, in one world or another, to talk and laugh and play and make up for lost time.

Comments ( 50 )

a sweet ending, really that's all I can really say :rainbowkiss:

it's very different than what you originally wrote, but it fits none the less

Daw...adorable ending. And nice way of wrapping it up like that.

Although I suddenly have the mental image of a sequel/bonus chapter involving Sunrise attending the Grand Galloping Gala when Discord causes problems. I mean, I'm pretty sure she'd have her own ticket, right? Alternatively, Scootaloo attends as Rainbow's guest, but they bump into Summer Storm who says hello to Sunrise...and Rarity overhears. And then that whole can of worms.

6066925 Now that sounds like a cool idea!

Not where I thought you were going to take this one, but I still enjoyed it. Though it raises some interesting questions about the human Scootaloo's family...

Eh, that's neither here nor there. Thank you for an enjoyable and novel Scootaparent story that took an unexpected but fun left turn.

If you don't do the sequel idea, I hope you will allow someone else to do it. It sounds like a great drama fic

I would love to see DT and SS's reactions if they learned of Scootaloo's (Sunrise's) family. I Imagine there expressions would rival that of a gaping fish mouth :twilightsmile:

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this. I really want her secret to get out and see the reaction of Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara.

To say that this ending of such a great story was Awesome is a complete understatement is a complete understatement within itself. To say great does not do justice to this story or to its Author.

So why did you ditch the ending involving Rainbow Dash becoming a royal guard? I found it to be a fascinating twist on her supposed destiny as a royal guard. This one is full of sweetness and joy, but personally I found the original to be more interesting.

Sweetie Belle had elected to keep Rarity in the dark, and seemed to take a certain pleasure in doing so.

Subtlety from Sweetie Belle, and of such a high caliber? The secret cruelty, the unwitting lack of snobbery, the wisdom in not giving such knowledge to a social climber... It's marvelous.

Very nice. ^_^

To me, this screams sequel. Will there be one? 'Cause I'm hoping there will be.

6067281 I agree. I really enjoyed the original one where Rainbow was a royal guard, as I've never seen that before.

An intense, well written, and emotionally packed story. :pinkiehappy:
Had you wanted to you could have continued this story for quite some time.
And if you ever do decide to revisit it for a continuation, I for one, would happily read it.

6067274
6067281


Well, MythrilMoth has mentioned that this story exists in the same universe as Memories Don't Burn, Apple Turnover and So...What Now?. In 'So...What Now?', Celestia has mentioned that she plans to establish a Royal Guard unit for Twilight, so its possible that the 'Rainbow Dash as part of Twilight's Royal Guard' plot will happen there.

A nice story.

I would love to see if working together Sunset and Scootaloo could develop a spell to grow Scootaloo's wings so she could fly. I love Sunset being Scootaloo's big sister by birth, new head canon accepted.


6067100 Seconded, please write this!!!

6067139 Thanks for that pointless and borderline rude if taken the wrong way remark.

6067274
6067281 Since this is now part of a larger set of related stories, all the Dusk Guard stuff has been removed so that this story could focus on Scootaloo's family. The stuff about the Dusk Guard will be moved to the main story in due time.


6067169
6067322
6067365 Any "sequel" to this will happen within the main story unless I decide otherwise. since this is now a sidestory to a larger project.

But akward and rushed with the going to the human world thing but this is a really good concept, AND story regardless. I thank you for your work.:twilightsmile:

I've got to be honest, the Sunset Shimmer part really doesn't fit organically with the rest of this story. There was no lead-in or foreshadowing, it was literally just "Scoots' dad shows up on Rainbow's doorstep and drops a bombshell", and then the rest of the story has Sunset taking the spotlight in what's supposed to be a story about Scoots. I think it would have worked better if you'd just worked some hints into this story and published the Sunset plot as a separate story, maybe as a sequel to this one.

I think I prefer this rehash, than what it had been

6069026 Oh, okay. ^_^ That's good to know.

A note- because of the way you edited this story(did you edit the previous epilogue into chapter two or something?) the story didn't notify as chapter two and three being the new ones, instead giving a notification for three and four. In the future, I'd recommend making sure any edited chapters are added as new chapters, so readers can see what they need to re-read more easily.

6070841 The system isn't set up that way. The way it IS set up is to notify for new chapters, and chapter three and four are new. Chapter two was EDITED, but never unpublished or deleted, which is why there was no notification.

Besides, I put a HUGE author's note right at the top of chapter three (the first of the two NEW chapters) alerting readers to the previous chapter being edited, AND posted a tagged blog post about the edits. I'm not sure how I could have made it any plainer what was edited and what readers needed to go back and reread.

6070879 As I mentioned in a tagged blog post, I completely changed chapter two from the original version. That's also why there's an A/N at the top of chapter three telling you to go back and reread the previous chapters.

6070974 That's a plothole I'm leaving alone. :derpytongue2:

Now I kinda want to scene of Sunset accidentally calling the EQG Scootaloo "Sunrise" and having her freak-out.

Not bad. Don't like the idea of Scootaloo being a cripple. Its just kinda dumb to be honest even more so in this story then others because of the shear amount of resource available to Scootaloo's family. I mean they can make a Turtle fly but they can't help a Pegasus....when you have access to spells like the Butterwing spell Twilight used on Rarity? Or when she transformed all of the Mane 6 to Breezies? Sorry but it smacks of plot device.

6072574 Except that we've seen disabled ponies in the show and the show has hinted STRONGLY that Scootaloo is disabled and will never fly properly under her own power.

There's no easy fix for some things.

6072990 We have seen a singular Disabled pony(Who was added solely for the Make a wish foundation) and ever that breaks logic a bit. Also I don't believe he is ever even said to be disabled we just take that because of who he represents. He could very well have just been healing and that the pony equivalent of a wheelchair. Also there are full on reality benders like Discord....who is friends with the CMC and an honorary CMC himself. Can't see him saying no if she was truly crippled.

Especially if this is a PHYSICAL disability. Now change this up to something being wrong with her magic ailing her and it becomes a bit more believable. Still unlikely but believable. But given things like tank's helicopter I CANNOT believe there is not a prosthetic to allow her to fly. Hell her family is Rich enough I'm sure they could hire a Unicorn Mage who specializes in flight spells to come up with something. (Yes Twilight is very good at Magic in General but I'm sure their is someone more proficient then her at Flight spells like the Flutterwing spell.)

That was fun, may I have another? Looking forward to more.
Keep up the good work. Deus tecum.

Eh. I dislike these tidy little quick tie up the bits endings. Interesting though, even if I also dislike the 'Sunset Shimmer is perfectly happen in alternate world' meme. Still it would make for neat segway into a story about her visiting Equestria.

6072990
Part of that is the show writer's choice though. Magic is capable of almost anything the writer desires and of extraordinary things even when bounded by rules (not unlike science). There is of course the reality that a prosthetic or assistive device is rarely completely unobtrusive and would certainly make her the butt of some jokes. If they made every solution possible to magic away it would hardly make for a story.

The biggest problem in the show that I can think of is that it would have to be a plot arc worth to deal with all the problems and if they were successful, they'd have removed diversity of a sort from the show. To truly fix the problem would require some hefty magical healing and probably some surgery short of alicorn level magic or Discord doing something. It's not like you can just magically grow the proper wings for a given pegasus and make them strong enough to be at the right point for growth and also fix their body to support them and do it all of it in zero time. We could probably fix real people's crippled legs permanently but it would entail risky surgery, long hospital stays, experimental science and medicine and we probably wouldn't be able to guarantee total success or even, perhaps, survival. That's a lot of shock to the body.

Comment posted by StormyVenture deleted Jun 26th, 2015

6355337 You know, if you're not quoting what you're referring to, and I have to hunt back through 400 comments from over 80 weeks ago to even begin to have some clue what you're on about...

And really, you shouldn't be replying to (I'm guessing) comments from over a year ago to begin with, especially if they're not relevant to the story.

As it is, you're just coming across as some random person climbing up my butt for I don't know what, and that's not making YOU look very good at the moment. :unsuresweetie:

This was an... interesting read. Eh, going to my favorites page, anyway.

6668572 Fanfiction. I have a buttload of unpublished original stuff and ideas for original stuff lying around, but I either can never get going on it due to writer's block, or I hate everything I write.

Good story, congratulations, I very much liked it.

6668700 Sigh, I think I understand a little. When I have a good idea that I think it could work somewhere I put it in a note... Some ideas I know that never are going to see the light, but even so I put them in the note.

Wait, if she's related to Sunset... does that mean EG Sunset if she exists is EG Scootaloo's sister... or, is that different... or :rainbowhuh:... DARN IT, I HATE TEMPORAL MECHANICS!

Midnight: Uh Ruin, that's not temporal mechanics.

Right, sorry, force of habit :twilightsheepish:... I HATE QUANTUM MECHANICS!

Anyway, really good fanfic.

7184134
Yeah, I know what you mean, quantum mechanics can be mindf**king, even more than Pinkie Pie (that's saying something). BUT here is a advice if you want to understand quantum mechanics : If you think you understand it, then you don't understand it at all (yeah, this advice is even more mindf**king that the rest of this comment, sorry)

Also I think that If EQ Sunset is EQ Scootaloo's sis, then EG Sunset is EG Scootaloo's sister too (at least in that fic)

PS : Eq = Equestria (logic but I still say it, you never know)

Sequel please!!!!!

I honestly feel kinda stupid now. I mentally compared the images of Scoots and Sunset, both forms. And now i'm facepalming. Because the do look quite similar. But, I do think this was a very interesting story. ^_^ The 'Sunset is Scootaloo's sister' bit was added in a bit to suddenly, but that's kinda more of a nitpick now.
Random mustache! :moustache:

And twice a month, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, two sisters got together, in one world or another

what a great way to end this awesome story! Well done, Moth! Well done

7917882

The 'Sunset is Scootaloo's sister' bit was added in a bit to suddenly

It literally was. It's because this story stagnated for a very long time and I decided I wanted to give it an ending, but my original plans for iit were a little out of control, so I scrapped 90% of what I had planned past the visit to Scootaloo's house and did the thing with Sunset Shimmer instead.

My mind was officially blown wide-open when you brought Sunset Shimmer into the equation. Never would I have expected that for a MILLION years.

I would like to know what Sunset will do about the human Scootaloo.
The human Sunset has to be somewhere. So Scootaloo would be a way to find out.

If the human Sunset is dead.... free human family.

9969136
Hippity Hoppity Your Family is my Property

Does this have a sequal? I'm curious as to what this means for the human Scootaloo?

A fun story. Wish I had read it when if first came out.

If there was a sequel to this I would love to see scootaloo snap at diamond tiara and silverspoon then show then she is richer and more important then them

Login or register to comment