• Published 26th Nov 2017
  • 8,642 Views, 60 Comments

''Applejack, are you gay?'' - Ribe_FireRain



It's just a straight-forward question, right?

  • ...
44
 60
 8,642

It's a simple question

''Applejack, are you gay?''

A clock ticked by its lonesome on the nearby wall, filling the gap of silence between Rainbow Dash and Applejack after the question had left the cyan pegasus's lips. Neither Applejack or Rainbow moved a single muscle as they sat together on opposite ends of one of the tables in Sugarcube Corner, which was thankfully empty at the time the question was asked.

It was a Sunday, which meant that the shop was closed for the day, with both owners, the Cakes', out on business. They wouldn't be back for at least a couple days.

As for Pinkie Pie, usually behind the counter and collecting orders, she was using her time off productively by helping out Fluttershy with her animal friends. Apparently, she required an extra hoof to care for an injured animal and Pinkie didn't hesitate to rush on over to offer her assistance to a friend in need.

That left it with just Rainbow Dash and Applejack, now in a silent staring contest. Rainbow thought that maybe Applejack might have persisted upon the inquiry, but instead, she simply said nothing.

Her face was emotionless and unreadable. Her glistening emerald green eyes stared back at the cyan pegasus as if she was trying to figure out what Rainbow was getting at. Well, no, that probably was what she was trying to figure out. It's not every day that your best friend, or anypony for that matter, simply sits with you at the table and asks about your sexual orientation.

The silence that shrouded the room was only an enhancing factor to the blank stare and suspense for a response. She didn't even blink. It was like she suddenly became paralysed into that one expression - an unreadable blankness that was somewhat making Dash feel a sense of uncertainty.

''Why'd ya ask?'' She eventually spoke, her voice quiet and soft, yet spoken so casually.

''Uh, I don't know. I'm just curious, I guess,'' Rainbow stated with a shrug of her shoulders, scratching the back of her neck with a hoof. ''I mean, it's kinda hard to tell with you.''

''Whaddaya mean?'' She asked, this time raising her brow.

''Well, it's just that I've seen the way you look at me sometimes. I'm not saying that I don't like it, but I figured that I'd clear the air and ask you why. Like I said, I'm just curious. So, are you gay or straight? It's a pretty simple question.''

Oh, yes. How she has stared at her sometimes. Rainbow Dash wasn't entirely sure when Applejack first started taking secretive glances at her behind her back, thinking she didn't catch a glimpse of her doing so, but she was sadly mistaken. If anything, Dash first strongly caught onto it during one winter when all of their friends were out at Sweet Apple Acres for a small party.

It was Pinkie Pie's birthday, the exact same day that she had her small dramatic outburst and thought that her surprise birthday was her farewell party.

Whilst Rainbow Dash was tending to a barrel of cider and pouring herself a mug on one end of the barn for a drink, she kept noticing that a certain somepony kept giving her a small glance when her head was turned. She may not have been able to see it, but she could sense it - just burning down into her flesh like a hot knife as the owner's eyes stared at her hindquarters.

Every time she'd turn around to look behind her to find the culprit that was staring at her, the sensation would suddenly stop. However, despite the sensation of somepony staring at her hindquarters behind her back, she could see Applejack off in the distance, holding a mug of cider in one hoof that was slightly obscuring her cheek, although not well enough to hide what looked to Dash like a soft blush.

Against the orange fur of Applejack, it was highly noticeable, and ever since that one encounter, Dash has constantly been feeling her sneak glimpses, all of which she spotted her.

It had only become clear recently that it was more than a mere, friendly glance. Something much more.

''Well?''

''Well, Ah don't rightfully know if ya'll should be askin' me this,'' Applejack said, lightly tilting her hat back as her face took on a slightly more serious expression. ''It jus' seems kinda personal, Rainbow.'' Rainbow pouted at that.

''Oh, come on, AJ! You make it sound like I'm judging you or something,'' Rainbow leaned back slightly and swivelled herself around in her seat, propping up her rear hooves on the edge of the table as she lounged back, resting her forehooves behind her head as she continued to stare with a cocky smile. ''You know just as well as I do, Applejack. I've seen how you used to look at Countess Coloratura. Or as you call her, Rara.'' Rainbow's smile became an amused smirk.

Oh, now she's jus' teasin' me, Applejack thought. She's only doing it ta get under mah skin. Typical Rainbow.

''S-So? What does that prove, exactly?'' Once again, Applejack raised an inquisitive brow at her rainbow-maned friend, her attention at full drive.

''It proves that you have a thing for her.'' At that, Applejack's eyes widened in shock and she gasped.

''No, Ah don't!'' Applejack protested, throwing her hooves up. ''We are just good friends an' nothin' more! Heck, she was mah best friend at Camp Friendship. Why, if'n Ah didn't know any better, Ah'd say that you were jealous!'' This time, Rainbow Dash gasped and snapped back into a sitting position, planting her hooves on the table and leaning towards the orange farm pony with a soft glare.

''Me? Jealous? Oh, please, I've got nothing against Rara. Besides, just own up, AJ! If you didn't have a thing for her, then why are you so quick to deny anything?'' Applejack mimed Rainbow, leaning towards her in her seat.

''Ah'm not denying anything! Besides, what about yourself? Ya'll ain't exactly comin' across as a straight mare!'' Applejack countered the argument, to which Rainbow Dash pressed up her muzzle against Applejack's own, her glare hardening.

''For your information, Applejack, I actually am straight,'' Rainbow said, her warm and vanilla-scented breath pulsing against Applejack's face with each breath she spoke. ''And for one, I'm not the one in denial.''

Oh, that's it! If that subborn ol' mare wants to play it that way, then she asked for it!

With that, Applejack gripped ahold of Dash's shoulders, taking her by surprise as she proceeded to press the cyan pegasus's lips against her own. She pushed softly yet firmly against her friend and she could taste what was unmistakably the vanilla flavoured cupcake that she had eaten only minutes ago.

At the surprise gesture, Dash's cheeks ignited into an intense blush that represented red wine that was lit on fire and her eyes enlarged in a mixture of surprise and shock at what she was experiencing.

Although largely taken aback by the sudden display of 'affection' from her friend, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but somewhat like the sensation. Granted, she may not be into mares, but the passionate kiss she was receiving from Applejack was actually quite pleasant and her lips held a hint of sweet apple that was transferred onto her own at the contact, adding an enhanced, warm and inviting sensation to the kiss.

Eventually, the kiss broke up and Applejack pulled back in her seat, recomposing herself with a slight smirk on her lips as she watched Dash look back at her with a surprised, shocked and confused expression.

Wow...

''Does that answer your question, sugarcube, or do ya'll still need more confirmation?'' Applejack asked with an amused grin at the expression on Dash's face.

''Huh? Oh, n-no, I'm good,'' Rainbow slowly let herself slump backwards in her seat as her brain tried to slowly process what had just happened. ''I was just, um...''

''Thinkin' about how much ya liked it?'' Applejack's grin grew larger. ''Come on, Dash, there ain't no denying that look on your face.'' At that, Rainbow Dash became sheepish and she blushed once more, scratching the back of her neck with a hoof as she averted her gaze from Applejack's.

''I, um, sorta liked it,'' Dash admitted. Slowly, she looked back up to stare Applejack in her large, green eyes. ''So, I take it that's a yes to my question?''

''Mmm-hmm.''

Meanwhile, from outside of Sugarcube Corner, a face of pink fur was pressed up against the glass of the window pane with her baby blue eyes large with surprise at what she had just witnessed.

Beaming with an overly-massive grin, Pinkie Pie gave a small, excited squee as she pulled her face off of the window pane with a loud pop.

''Eee! Just wait until I tell the girls about this!''

Comments ( 60 )

Sequel!!!!

well this was a nice read

Well that escalated quickly.

Comment posted by WannaFlugelHorn deleted Nov 26th, 2017

8573543
No wonder you liked it! Based on your profile I bet you're a fan of that ship? :ajsmug:

I loved it! :heart: :pinkiehappy: Though, I would consider adding a romance tag.

Also 'Wow...' should be 'Wow . . .' with spacing between the dots.

This doesn’t feel complete to me but I enjoyed what I read. I think a romance tag should be used.

It's a mastapeace

That was nice, if not a little bit fast, but I liked it anyways.


The end has me intrigued, is there going to be a sequel? Because I’m all for that, I would consider adding a ‘romance’ tag to it tho, even if that’s your intention.

8574569

8573609

8574026

Right, I think I need to clear this one up because I'm seeing quite a fair amount of suggestions to add a romance tag. Here's why I didn't feel that it was necessary to add a romance tag -

Although I know that I show Applejack kissing Rainbow Dash near the end, that is actually not a romantic moment. I added that part in because I simply wanted Applejack to shut Rainbow up somehow, and I thought that having her kiss Dash was possibly the best way I could have gone with it.

If there was a romance tag added to the story, that would suggest that there is more than a simple friendship going on. Yes, I showed you that Applejack was indeed gay and that Dash is straight, but I didn't write this for the sole purpose of somepony telling them that they were into them.

That's why that when it comes to Rara (Countess Coloratura), I had Dash tease her, but there isn't any real confirmation from Applejack that she did actually love Rara. However, I added that part because when I watched that episode, I sensed that there might be something going on, so I figured I'd put it in there as a humorous line for the sake of fun. (That was actually why I wrote this story, to be honest about it. It was too good of an idea to pass up, and I'm actually quite surprised that something that took me an hour or two to write became popular so fast.)

So really, because I'm terrible at putting my reasoning into words, which is why I don't normally respond to these types of comments, that's pretty much it. And yes, I know that despite me saying all of this, there will very likely be a whole lot more speculation on the whole concept of Applejack's orientation, etc.

But hey, that's good! Gotta keep those thoughts flowing, dear children! :rainbowdetermined2::raritywink::heart:

8574662
I see where you are coming from. I think for me, maybe the story ended up coming across differently to me than you meant it to. I read it as Rainbow Dash basically realizing she wasn't straight and then realizing she is interested in Applejack.

8574662
I want to see the chaos unfold from Pinkie's complete lack of discretion.

Straight question, practical answer. True, the answer came after some coaxing, but still. Nice!
And Pinkie... well, Pinkie never changes :rainbowlaugh:

Of COURSE AJ has nothing on Rara, she's too busy trying to plunder the nethers of a certain rainbow maned mare.

A delicate topic handled with the care of a sledgehammer. Outing someone, someone that isn't up front about their sexuality, especially someone that you would consider a friend is not a light hearted matter. AJ just up and kissing Rainbow, especially after she had proclaimed herself as straight just makes the situation SO much worse, and then the hole just gets deeper when AJ acts like it's okay because she thinks RD enjoyed it.

This story has some severe issues with its message.

8575270
Ever heard the saying ''if there's nothing nice to say, don't say it''?

Also, if you even bothered to read my previous comment in the thread which explained all of my reasoning for this story, you'd understand why I added all of the things and that there was no message in the story.

You'd also understand that I wrote this for the sole purpose of fun and there wasn't really much of a point to begin with - it was just a random idea that came to me, so this is what I have to work with.

Oh my goodness, this is so adorable
--------------------------------

her warm and vanilla-scented breathe

*breath

She pushed softly yet firmly against

softly, yet firmly, against

Eeee, this was cute, I liked it. That's all I wanna say:pinkiehappy:

8575270
Way to read to much into it. First off, this is a short slice of life story, you aren't supposed to take a life lesson away from this. Secondly, I don't know how conservative you are with your friends, but BEING friends means that you can ask each other personal questions, and that it's okay to mess with each other. I'm straight, but if I was gay, and one of my close friends asked me about it, I could totally see myself doing the same thing just to mess with him. Hell, I might do it anyway just to see the look on his face.

I have one thing to say to that ending:

derpicdn.net/img/view/2014/2/15/552886.png

I am of the opinion that "are you gay?" ought not be a big deal, unless your not sure, sharing your sexual orientation should be a casual thing. We attach so much more drama to it than it needs. I am not denying there are reasons we attach so much drama to the question of sexual orientation, just saying it's dumb that we do. To normalize homosexuality we need to make it NOT a big deal, just something that some people are. No one blinks if you say your straight, saying your gay should illicit that same "oh OK" reaction.

but does apple is gay??

8575364

Ever heard the saying ''if there's nothing nice to say, don't say it''?

Ever heard the saying, "constructive criticism"? Regardless of authorial intent, your audience is under no obligation to hold their tongue just because they think you won't like to hear it.

" Rainbow said, her warm and vanilla-scented breathe pulsing against Applejack's face with each breath"

" With that, Applejack gripped ahold of Dash's shoulders, taking her by surprise as she proceeded to press the cyan pegasus's lips against her own. She pushed softly yet firmly against her friend and she could taste what was unmistakably the vanilla flavoured cupcake that she had eaten only minutes ago. "

''Eee! Just wait until I tell the girls about this!''

8575270 Hate to break it to you, buddy, but choosing not to take action for fear of offense is why so many young people don't get laid anymore. In the real world, you don't just suddenly have your best friend take an interest in you, then bring her best friend into the mix, and have both of them convinced that your penis is the greatest thing since tabbed browsing. What do you think this is, Xenophilia?

8575519
You're right, it's not a big deal. In this modern day and age, it certainly shouldn't be.

I, for one, absolutely hate homophobes plainly because judging someone over their orientation is just wrong. If someone is happy being who they are in a relationship, let them live in peace.

Besides, the reason Rainbow asked her about it was because she was curious, and when you consider the relationship between her and AJ, it's fair to say that she would be close enough to Rainbow to be comfortable with sharing her sexuality and being open about it.

I didn't really want to make it appear like a big deal, but I'm afraid that quite a lot of readers have some other thoughts on the matter, even though I only wrote this for the sake of fun and with low expectations for it getting out there.

Suppose I was proved wrong.

8576266
Freedom of speech is always welcome on any story by any author, but when I see those types of comments that take the story more seriously than it should and making a big deal out of it, it annoys me.

That goes especially for when I didn't write to be taken seriously and to heart. As a matter of fact, there wasn't a reason for it. Hopefully, you could see where I stand with it all.

8576379
Yes, I can see where you stand, I just disagree with the stance that if someone can't in some way praise a story, they shouldn't open their mouth. And regardless of whether that was your intent with the quote you threw at that earlier person, that is the message it can convey.

Kind of like how your innocent little joke fic came across as having unfortunate implications to that earlier reader which, while they were not your intent, are no less valid than your perspective. Regardless of this story being a joke or not, I would argue that the individual did make some decent points, and while they could potentially have separated those points from the story a little better or rephrased their argument to be less spiteful, I do not feel their argument should be discredited purely because they took you too seriously.

I mean, even the application of sexuality to these children's cartoon characters is a way of taking the content more seriously than its creators intended. And yet, quite a lot of good has come from just that.

I do apologize for bringing this kind of discussion into your comments section, as I doubt many of your readers want to wade through several paragraphs about free speech and authorial intent. Still, I felt it was best to speak clearly, so as to avoid confusion about intent.

Hope you have a lovely day.

8576352
Good one. :rainbowlaugh:

My issue was never with the topic, but rather how it was handled, however it was made clear that my opinion was unneeded so I shall not continue that here.

What came to mind with the title...

8575519
no if you are gay the normal person's reaction should be...
"Finally someone I can hang out with"

8576671
never mind i forgot what the heck i was talking about now...
dumb brain...

Based on what she was starting to say to Trenderhoof in Simple Ways, before Rarity cut her off, I think Applejack might actually be gay.

"Applejack are you gay?" :rainbowhuh:
"Eyup" :ajsmug:
"I-wha-" :rainbowderp:
"Everypony already figured it out cept Twilight, and maybe Pinkie Pie, can never tell with that mare..." :applejackunsure:
"So you..are you sure?" :rainbowhuh:
*Reaches forward and kisses RD* "What do you think?" :ajsmug:
"Eyup, ah! I mean. I should probably go practice...Stuff... " :rainbowderp:
"Alright then, fly safe." :applejackunsure:
"You too!" *flies away* :rainbowderp:
*turns page.* "She's gonna really feel silly once she realizes what she said. :ajsmug:

''Ah'm not denying anything! Besides, what about yourself? Ya'll ain't exactly comin' across as a straight mare!''

It was here that Tunak Tunak Tun began to play on my playlist...and I laughed my ass of.

Eek! The one where Pinkie knows... Again!


I can write a story with this concept!💡
:pinkiegasp:

Keep an eye out!

''Well, Ah don't rightfully know if ya'll should be askin' me this,'' Applejack said, lightly tilting her hat back as her face took on a slightly more serious expression. ''It jus' seems kinda personal, Rainbow.'' Rainbow pouted at that.

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vinesauce/images/d/d3/Rev_picture.png/revision/latest?cb=20150419070159 Ya'll

Short.
Sweet.
Cute.
:heart::rainbowdetermined2::ajsmug::heart:

"AJ, are you gay?"

"Heck no! Me an' Big Mac done it lots o' times!"

".... I'm leaving. Now..."

:trollestia:

AJ isn't gay. She's into Timber Wolves.

Dashie isn't gay. She's into Griffons.

Fluttershy isn't gay. She's into Discord.

Rarity isn't gay. She's into either rich guys or Spike.

Pinkie isn't gay... she's into everything... EVERYTHING!!

So, the ponies are actually all FURRIES!!! :pinkiegasp:

8577921
Please, no sequels to this story, if I'm understanding you correctly.

8579750
No, nonono.
The concept, not the story.

Rainbow Dash helps get AJ a date.
:)

8579779
Well, now, that I'd like to see! :ajsmug::rainbowkiss:

Rainbow Dash: AJ, are you gay?

Applejack: Bitch, I might be?

Login or register to comment