• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 13,743 Views, 791 Comments

The nature of the beast. - Kintra



The adventures of a sarcastic pessimist who visits a world full of creatures who love and tolerate.

  • ...
62
 791
 13,743

PreviousChapters Next
Scroll Nine: Questions

Still reading? That’s good. To be honest when Luna and I started writing these, we thought no one would give them the time of day. They were more or less meant to be a record, Like, A history book based off of my experiences, Thoughts, And feelings. Being a human in Equestria, Well either way, I'm sure your all like "WTF IS WIT DA POWERS" Well, hopefully I can explain this time. Otherwise, your all gonna get a lot more confused. Fast. So, Anyway. I left off with the nightmare right? Hmm.


I awoke with a start, my adrenalin was pumping and I was soaked in cold sweat...Again. Fourth time trying to sleep, Fourth time being woken up by a dream that, I'm really sorry guys, But I won’t describe, Let’s just say it involved me, And a lot of pain. Shit, you can probably take any nightmare story and replace the victim with "Eclipse" Or "Kyle" And everything bad that happens Stick a pony to it. I was restless, I knew why. These ponies are, Simple. Not stupid, I'm not saying they are stupid really. Just, simple, they don't have complicated methods or, underhanded dealings. At least not that I had SEEN. And I’m DAMN sure "Cupcakes" Was a lie. I hope. But still, I suspected them...I suspected them, after hurting one of theirs...Asshole....

I gave up sleep; I wandered the castle, my clothes matted to me uncomfortably. But, to be honest I didn't care. I wanted to just...Go. Didn't matter where, But I ended up in the castle garden and then ended up swimming in the little "Lake" they had. It was a nice little lake. Only about shit, I stand six feet so I’d say this whole thing was maybe twelve feet wide, 8 feet down, and had a little river feeding into, and out, of it. I do mean little though. Very small, like i would say MAYBE a half a foot each, they couldn't drain crap. But it didn't matter. After a short time I climbed out of the water and realized this spot was underneath Luna's *Window* I do that because there is no Actual window. It’s just a big hole. With a balcony. I started taking pine cones and chucking them at her...Balcony. After a few chucks I gave up and just laid in the grass staring at the stars. You ever done that? Just looked at the stars? I remember on earth, you could almost never see the stars. Too many lights and shit. But here? The sky twinkled so bright and warmly it was just...Beautiful.


I sat there for I don't know how long. Just watching the stars, I saw a few constellations I recognized, though I could only name Cancer. Mostly because I was, and I just liked my zodiac. It was nice though. The silence and such. But I still was happy when I was found. "Eclipse? What are you doing in the grass?" Luna was now standing over me, And for the first time again, I caught myself really looking at her, the no-air hair waves, the stars, and everything was just...amazing this night. "I...Uhh." Ahh. To be me when talking with no excuse. "You were uhh? That sounds promising, you must teach me sometime." I laughed she laughed, and then she joined me, Just gazing at the sky. She was good though. "What’s bothering you eclipse?" *Sigh* Of course. “It’s nothing Luna, I just...This is Equestria. I hadn’t realized it till yesterday...Err. Last night. I just, this is a world I’ve Dreamed of coming too. And I don't even think I comprehended that fact till yesterday. I just feel so...Free." It was cheesy, super cheesy. But I was. I knew they wouldn't keep me here, I knew the princesses, if I wanted I was free to leave, Shit, They even gave me an "Allowance" as they called it. Which was a ridiculous amount of money at first, I told them I didn't want it but the most they would do is lower it. So, Three thousand gold Bits in a bank account under my name, Fun. But the world also changed, and I hoped it wasn’t by me being here.

"You still seem upset Eclipse; you say you are free yes? Then why do you wish to remain here?" It was a tough question. I really wanted to say I was staying for Luna, I really did. "Because I need to learn to read and Write equestrian. Without those skills, I’d be lost. So....Yea...” I shut my eyes. I could hear the pain in her voice. Only a few days... I’m so sorry. "Oh. I see. Well, I’m glad to be teaching you eclipse. You have been...Most delightful to be around. And I hope that even when you do set off. You may come to know me as a friend as well as a princess." God I wanted to hug her, Lie to her, Say anything to make her feel better. But all I could do is nod. I would always consider her a friend. But... I think, she and I honestly wanted more than that. And at the time. It scared me. Not even a month in Equestria, and I was ruining lives. A simple, human. One man in the right place can make all the difference, but what if that man was in the wrong place? Would it ruin everything? Was it my job as a human to drag my nature over this peaceful world? Leaving it decaying? I didn't know. I hated myself all the more for not knowing.

Luna got up. "When you are ready Eclipse. I will be in the library; we will continue your lessons, but first. Try and sleep. You look terrible... and wet." I laughed. I was still pretty wet, And tired. "Luna?"
"Yes eclipse?"
"Thanks."
I don't know if she responded. But I passed out. And it was thankfully restful.

When I awoke the sun was blazing overhead. I wasn’t sure how long I was out, but hopefully not too long. "You look quite comfortable." I looked up to see Princess Celestia over me, Again Ever since realizing where I was, I was looking at everything under a scrutinizing eye, catching every detail. And LOVING IT. Celestia Walked around to my side before her ears perked like she remembered something. "May I join you?" Oh. She’s asking for permission in HER garden? *Sigh* I scooted over and patted the grass She laid down next to me and (I panicked. Just so you know.) Placed her head on my chest, she was warm. Very warm, I tried not to think about It I mean, Celestia's my sister right? "You heart is in your chest correct? If so, yours appears to be quite erratic...." I lost it; I slid out from under her. "I’m sorry princess, Can’t do this. You’re like my sister. I'm, I'm sorry." I walked through the garden and back into the castle. I saw a few ponies I was beginning to recognize but it was all very...Not right.

Things were starting to take new light under my revelation, little things like lights and clocks, Simple actions like a servant pony using a ladder to dust a shelf, (She was a unicorn too, huh.)the guards didn't just have their wings, The armor had a sort of Built-in jousting spear, when one lowered its head it came down and locked, I hadn’t seen on work in to re lock but, Whatever, These pony's had weapons. And it scared me. What happened to the light hearted children's show? I ended up stopping a servant pony and asking if there was a newspaper or the like. Before I realized I couldn't read. (You win again Woona.) I apologized and headed to the library for another lesson, hoping that Luna wasn’t too mad.

I made it there fine; Luna and I sat, talked a bit, Ate some breakfast and got to work. To be honest, I wasn’t all that into it. We had been sitting there maybe four hours. Before Luna gave me these *I’m really worried* eyes and made me explain.
I told her I would, but only in one of the room where we won’t be disturbed. And I asked her to bring a spell, allowing another to show memories. Thankfully, she had one. We ended up in Luna's personal chambers, which looked exactly like Celestia's, Minus the fact that the "Royal reds" Were now purple shades. I liked it better, softer on the eyes. "Now will you explain why you feel the way you do?" she was sitting on her bed. (URGHHHH DAMMIT) I walked over and sat next to her.

"Luna, there's something you need to see about me, and so. I'm hoping that showing it to you will make things easier to understand, but... there's also a chance that it will ruin the way you think of me. And, Pretty much all chances of friendship we have." She looked at me with that sad look you've seen so much in the show. "So, we have two choices. One, you can forget everything, we can get back to work and act like this never happened. It may sour our friendship a bit, but we could recover from it... I hope... Or, we can continue, I show you my memories of...Well. You, and some others, and hope that you take it in stride, because you may end up despising everything I am." I let the question hang, She looked away from me and out her window (Again, no actual window, just a big arch) She looked like she was seriously deep in thought too, I don't know If I’ve ever focused on something to that extent. But she eventually turned to me. "Okay, Share this memory. I cannot promise that if it is as horrible as you say I will not dislike you. However I’m sure you are simply blowing it out of proportion, as your people say." "I just nodded. “When you’re ready." She had explained the spell so I thought about my little pony, the cartoon, not something else. Whatever that may be.

Luna casted the spell while I thought of everything MLP related I could, Then I heard the *Pop!* and realized she was now seeing, Learning and figuring out everything MLP related I had ever done. Interesting spell, I just wish there were cappers. She was learning. EVERYTHING. My thoughts, Feelings and Ideas on the show, my attempted (And failed) Fan fiction. And more. I just stood and paced at the end of the bed. I was walking for maybe ten minutes when I heard another popping noise signaling she was done. (Ha, like muffins. She was baking. Fun.) I looked at her and I’m not going to lie guys, I was scared. I was, Not scared. I was terrified. Of what this pony thought of me. She slowly opened her eyes, Looked at me, and smiled. "That was not nearly as bad as you made it sound. I am...disappointed I was nothing but a show in your world. But I feel I understand why you feared my reaction." She stood and walked over to me; At this point I was fidgeting with my fingers and generally trying to look everywhere but at her. 'Eclipse, you must understand that show was a work of fiction, a human invention, this is not. Equestria is real, and to be honest, you were able to love us all as a fiction, why can you not love us if we are real?" I wanted to cry, I was expecting banishment, Anger, yelling. I had braced myself for it, what she had done was far worse, She understood. Just like that. She understood my fears, however irrational they were, and she consoled me.

(Man, I was so emo. I’m sorry guys should pick up here soon, Luna felt I should include that part because she felt it was "Important" Anyway, let’s skip an hour shall we?) Luna and I were back in the library, And things were going much better, Luna had informed me that everything that was here was here from LONG before I came here, and that the guards spears were mostly decorative at this point, though they did send "Scouting and suppression" Squads into the edge of the everfree every few weeks, I asked her about the suppression thing, She confirmed that they killed, not captured most creatures deemed "Dangerous" The heart of the forest was sanctuary for them, Ponies own the outside. (I was a little off put by this but eh.) "Oh right! Luna, I wanted to ask you about my super strength or whatnot, because look," I pressed on the table as hard as I could to no avail. Aside from knocking it over of course. "It didn't break; I'm not all super strong anymore."
At this she made me recount the times I was *Super* me. "Well let’s think, I suppose the first time was poking spike, then the cement bars, Then Celestia's boulder? And I think that's it." She nodded and stared into space. For a long time.

I learned to write D and E with thorns guidance, although I did take the occasional glance at Luna to see she hadn’t moved. At all. It was really creepy. The suddenly she stood up. "I think I have it!" she shouted suddenly causing her to become the center of attention in the library, (Thorn ran...) "Princess, Maybe you should sit and explain what you have?" She blushed, nodded and sat back down. Then she turned to me. "How much pressure did you apply to break the bars or move the boulder?" I thought about it, "Not a lot, Really I think it was pretty much as soon as I touched them things happened." She thought a moment, "And how hard did you "Poke" as you say, Spike?" Err... "I guess, pretty hard. By human standards though it wasn’t much." She smiled. (Insert twilight zone theme) "I feel we must visit my sister, She is in her workshop, Come." We stood and Luna Ran, to Celestia's workshop, I wasn’t sure why, But I wasn’t complaining. Running just felt GOOD here.

"SISTER!" Luna burst through the 'Magical Workshop' Door. Causing Celestia to become irritated, but it only showed for a split second. Oooo she’s good. "Ah, yes hello Luna." Celestia removed the goggles (Whut) from her head and placed them on a nearby table. "Is there something I can help you two with?" Luna pranced to her sister and began whispering in her ear. "Truly? You believe that is the cause? Yes I see. It’s possible, Perhaps a test? Yes... “I was seriously getting scared both the sisters had evil grins, Celestia looked at me, "Defend yourself eclipse, GUARDS!" I stared, WHAT!? Guards came rushing in from behind the door "Arrest this man, Have him executed immediately!" WHAT THE FUCK!? The guards grabbed my arms with their teeth, they were strong. I started to panic; I thought they were going to test me, why do they want me dead! I wasn’t leaving without answers, I ripped my shirt from the mouth of the guard on my left, and he looked surprised I was resisting...So Was I. The other guard tightened his grip (Bite) It didn't matter, I swung my right arm to his friend, I was strong again, The guard still hanging on was swept from his feet and collided with his friend, I ran back into the room Celestia had just watch me exit, "WHY!? What did I do to make you feel I deserved to die! What about your tests!? Were you only trying to limit my power so that you could have me executed with little resistance?! No room for freaks here right? WHY!?" Luna was in tears, I scared her, Bad, It didn't matter I was staring down Celestia So hard I thought her coat would catch on fire.

Celestia stepped forward Looked at me in the eyes, and kissed me on the cheek. Seriously? You want me dead, or you want my cuddles, Make up your damn mind! She smiled, as the two guards reentered the room, "Stand down you two, take the week off duty, you earned it." Celestia smiled at them, I looked at them and I swear to god, they were just as confused as me. I gave up. I sat down on the floor, crossed my legs and covered my face in my hands "I don't get itttt..." I started muttering to myself; At this point Luna was, more composed. Though she still looked at me funny. "Eclipse it was a test, we feel we understand some more of your power now." I didn't get it. Luna looked to her sister. "This was the test!? Celestia! That was horrible!" Glad someone feels the same way I do. "Luna, it was a necessary evil, we needed eclipse to feel like he was in danger, I never would truly have him executed, and you know this." Celestia was doing that smug-smile thing.

To those of you who already understand, I’ll give kudos, those of you that don't get it, it goes like this. My powers are always there, always. But can only be used when myself, or someone seems to be in danger. It’s like, I get bonus points for protection or some shit. Now, Most of you are going "Oh that's so cheesy/predictable" but think about where I am, I mean really think about it. And it makes perfect sense. Though sometimes I wonder if that's the only time. Maybe whatever gives it to me also enjoys messing with me. Oh well.

At this point in the conversation Luna was literally crying, why? No clue. I suppose emotional roller coasters aren't so good for the night princess. Me? I was just sitting there thinking, did I really hurt spike? Or was it all an act... Because the more I thought about it. The less it made sense, I scared him, sure. But what, if anything was I trying to protect when I "hurt" Him? Or was it all an act? I started to get. Angry, at myself, at ponies, at spike... At everything. So I ran, Where Was I going, I had no clue. The sisters didn't try and stop me; I honestly think they were afraid to. I'm not sure when it happened, but I had left Canterlot. I ended up stopping, In the middle of a forest, I recognized this forest though. I’d seen it before. When I first came here, and now that I knew where i was, I recognized it as the everfree. I braced myself and started walking. Where?

Deeper.

PreviousChapters Next