• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,969 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,969

PreviousChapters Next
Another Love


Months.

Months spent with Ember, with Rainbow, and with Twilight. The first still had no memory of him, which had dampened his spirits that she may never remember him. The rainbow mare was seeing him more and more, almost every day since he came back. Same went for Twilight, since his inn was only a couple blocks away, they kept a strong relationship. And Moon had actually gotten very closer to a certain yellow pegasus, to the point where Draco could see the red in his grey coat, as well as Fluttershy's. He had kept encouraging Moon to ask her to a dinner, as the lunar wolf knew what was her favorite restaurant, but he refused with much embarrasment. Draco kept at it, but he had his own problems.

Ember just… forgot him. Eight years of living together, laughing together… like it never happened. She was still the same: respectful to him and Moon but vicious to any who disrespected her. And she still had that soft side he enjoyed seeing. But she was too far gone for any sort of emotion. It stung him day and night, that he would never know whether or not she felt anything for him. Years of building a relationship, just to have it smashed out of her. He kept his mother updated on her memory status, but not once did he give away his emotion. Even Twilight and Rainbow were in the dark.

He sighed deeply, sitting on one of the benches in the fields outside Ponyville. Ember's scent reached his nose, which came as a surprise to her. The dragoness sat beside him, keeping an awkward silence between them. His heart would have been racing, but for now, he wanted her as far away as possible. He hated himself for thinking that way.

"Good afternoon." Her words were as neutral as ever, but he could tell she was trying.

"Hey, Ember," he said lowly. "I-Is there something you need?"

She nodded, pulling out an envelope from under her scale. "I found this in one of the pockets of my armor," Ember told him. "It has your name on it. I… was curious, but I want you to read it."

He looked at the parchment inside the envelope, and slowly grabbed it. The seal easily ripped open, and he opened the small slip. It… it was from Ember… the Ember he knew.

Dear Draco,

If you're reading this, I am either dead, or something worse. In any case, I want to tell you why I wrote this. I had faith in you. I never doubted you for a second, believe me when I say this. We would all go in, free the griffons from that tyrannical bastard, and you would be there to end it. But… I wasn't so sure about myself. You handled anything thrown at you, even the death of somepony you held so close.

If I was going to die… or never see you with my own eyes… I needed you to know. The times we spent on the cliff, talking as if we knew our own futures. The times shared with just us three. When you took care of me when I was sick, and warmed me as best you could. I loved it all. Just hearing you, being able to bring a smile to your face, being able to be trusted. I always dreamed of a day where I could find a good dragon to care for me as I him. But I never thought I wouldn't find a dragon. No. I found a creature that was twice as strong as one, thrice as kind as one, and five times as weaker. You didn't need flashy scales, or large limbs, or sharp spines. All I needed to see was you, and you alone.

I-

Draco crumpled the paper in his hand, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Was it… from somepony you knew?" Ember asked hesitantly.

He nodded, wiping his face. "Yeah," he whispered. "Someone real close… and all."

She watched him rest his forehead on his palms, a few sniffles sounding from him. "What was it about?" Ember questioned, placing a claw on his back.

He so longed for the touch of her scales, but it wasn't really her. "Nothing important," Draco chuckled bitterly. "Not anymore at least."

He stood up, Ember following soon after. "Would you like some time alone?"

If it were really her, she'd stick by him. But then again, that was before she forgot. "Yeah. Sure." She nodded quickly and walked off towards Ponyville.

Draco glared at the piece of crumpled paper in his hand and yelled as he chucked it away. He watched it land somewhere in the shrubbery of the Everfree before going back to the town. A few passing ponies asked if he was alright, and he answered with the excuse of allergies. They left him be as he entered the inn and went to his room. Moon sat up from his position on the floor, taking note of his cousin's expression.

"Is everything alright?" Moon asked.

Draco fell back onto his bed. "Yeah, Moon," he sighed, wiping his eyes. "How's Fluttershy?"

Moon frowned at his cousin, and walked over to the bed. "She may remember, Draco. Have hope."

With a scoff, Draco sat up. "Hope? Hope won't bring back Ember," he smiled darkly. "If I was strong enough, fast enough… she could've been way better than she is now. It's not her fault… not at all. It's mine. I got us seperated, and Ember paid for it."

Moon nuzzled him gently, getting a small hug from him. "Draco, we've grown closer than cousins. So, as a brother, will you promise not to lose hope?" Draco looked towards the wall, muttering under his breath until he turned back to Moon.

"I promise." Moon nodded with a soft smile, remembering something he needed to say.

"Twilight invited us to a small get together with the other Element Bearers," Moon said. "If you want, I could go alone."

Draco shook his head. "No. I'm fine. When's the party?"

"Around seven," Moon replied. "Let's get ready."

The two showered and dressed properly for the occasion. When hours passed slowly, they went back to wrestling for several matches before it was obvious neither was going to get a win. After another shower, they made their way over to the library. Moon's mother's night sky illuminated the path for them as they walked through the streets. A few bows, which they announced as unneccessary, and some greetings later they reached the great tree. The sight of it always brought forth a… sort of urge. He felt the need to climb it, or jump atop it. Shrugging it off again, he knocked on the door and smiled at Twilight.

"You came!" she exclaimed.

"Why wouldn't I?" Draco chuckled. She blushed faintly and gave him a hug, smiling sweetly at Moon.

"Is Fluttershy here yet?" he asked.

"Yep. Right over by the window," Twilight said, pointing to the butter colored mare. Moon eagerly went over, striking up a chat instantly while Draco walked about to say hi to Rainbow and Applejack.

He and Rainbow exchanged knowing glances, and he moved on to Rarity then sat down with Twilight. "So, we're having dinner here?"

"Actually, Moon wanted to take us to a restaurant." Draco shot a glare at the wolf, who smirked as he stood beside Fluttershy. "What time did you set the reservations for?"

"In thirty minutes we should be there," Moon said. "We should go now, be early and such."

The group walked to the inner part of Ponyville, where dozens of establishments and parlors were. The inner city was much more lively than the outer half. Small performances took place here and there, and little trinkets in pawn and thrift shops caught the attention of everypony. Draco remained silent for most of the walk, only voicing an opinion on a beautiful necklace Rarity thought about getting. Moon talked to their host about their reserved seats, and soon they were sitting at a private booth with candles as decor. The mares thought about ordering modest meals, but Moon insisted they get what they want.

"It's only tonight," he argued. Since the restaurant was griffon/pony themed, Moon had an order of steak.

The others chose more suitable meals for the occasion, but Draco only asked for some orange juice. He wasn't into the idea of wine or liquor, and it was his favorite drink by far. With a small brow raised, their waiter went back to get their food started. Draco fiddled with his fork, time seeming to slow as he spun it around. Twilight broke from her conversation with Rarity to watch him. He had fallen into something like depression, but not completely. She scooted closer to him, using her magic to teleport the fork out of his hand.

"I was playing with that," he remarked. Twilight rolled her eyes playfully and nudged him.

"C'mon, we're supposed to be having fun, remember?" she giggled. "You're acting like me when I came to Ponyville."

Sighing, Draco forced a smile. "We can't have that, can we?" Twilight nudged him again, laughing softly.

"How's Ember?" Draco tried his best, but his smile dimmed.

"She uh… she's fine," he sighed. "Her attitude's the same, and I think she's starting to remember some stuff."

Twilight sat up, eager to hear more. "Like what?" she asked.

If he was going to just feel normal about her, he had to talk about her. As a friend. "The war. Parts of battles, I think the towns she freed. Her uncle… one of her surviving generals," Draco said. "It's not much to go by, but its something."

Their waiter came in, holding the eight plates above them and lowering it perfectly. With a nod, the ponies and man dug into their dinners. "Its delicious," Fluttershy smiled.

"I'm glad," Moon nodded. "Is everypony else liking theirs?"

"It's tasty!" Pinkie squeed.

Rainbow garbled something past the spoonfuls of vegetables in her mouth. "Rainbow, please! Don't stuff yourself!" Rarity chided. "It's absolutely wonderful, Midnight."

"Ah'm preferin' less fancy stuff," Applejack chuckled. "But it ain't too bad."

Draco gave his cousin a nod, and Twilight smiled. "It's wonderful, Moon," she smiled. "But isn't this all expensive?"

Moon nodded. "Very. But, with Draco's help, we'll be leaving a handsome tip." Draco glared playfully at his cousin then kicked him under the table, forcing the lunar wolf to stifle a whimper.

"Sure," Draco nodded. "Enough talk, guys. Dig in!"



Applejack burped loudly, a few chuckles sounding around. "Pardon," she laughed. "Thanks a bunch, Moon."

"And thank you too, Draco," Fluttershy smiled, walking beside Moon.

He smiled back. "It wasn't a problem," he nodded.

"I don't know about you guys, but I could use some sleep," Rainbow yawned, hovering up. "Bye girls. See ya Draco."

He waved her off, and Pinkie yawned next. "Yeah, I'm sleepy too. G'night! See ya in the morning!" She hopped off to Sugarcube Corner, leaving four other mares to go.

"Ah'm gonna hit the hay."

"It was a spectacular evening," Rarity smiled. "See you all soon."

Draco turned to Twilight. "The inn's near your house. Maybe I could… walk you there," he suggested, a small shade of scarlet coming to face.

The studious mare nodded shakily, her own blush forming. "Um, sure," she laughed weakly.

Fluttershy started for her own home, but Moon placed a paw on her shoulder. "W-Would you like some company?" Draco smirked at the blush in each, and the pegasus nodded quietly, smiling just as nervously.

"I'll see you at the inn then," Draco waved, starting for the library. "C-Come on, Twi."

She nodded, trotting to keep up with him. Their eyes wandered to the rural buildings, occasionally glancing at the other. The library came into sight soon, and they stood in front of each other with unsure smiles.

"Um… so… it was good seeing you," Draco chuckled sheepishly. "Guess I'll… see you around… or something."

Saysomethingsaysomethingsaysomethingsaysomethingsaysomething

Draco took a step in the opposite direction. "Draco." He glanced back to Twilight, who was blushing redder than a tomato. "W-Would you like… to come inside?"

She would have facehoofed at how stupid she said it, and Draco flushed just as much. "S-Sorry," Draco stammered. "I need to go see my mother tomorrow. Early. B-But maybe some other time."

Twilight nodded, a bit down at his reason. "Um, yeah. Anytime," she smiled, her expression not fooling him.

He came back over, kneeled down and gave her a hug. She returned it gladly, even if she still had to get on her hind legs. They pulled away until they were just nose to muzzle.

"I promise. I'll come visit you here; just you and me," he smiled.

She giggled and flushed at the same time, causing a slightly awkward laugh. "You don't have to do that," she said.

"When I promise something, I mean it," Draco assured her.

Twilight nodded with a smile, looking into his hazel eyes. They were… nice to look at. Certainly more different than regular ponies' eyes. They had their own flare to themselves, much like the rest of him. And the longer Draco looked at her, the more he looked over again. She was beautiful. A certain sharpness about her, yet an innocent and caring pony. He scratched behind her ear, which she hummed delightfully to. With her cheek in his palm, he could feel every little vibration through his arm, and the warmth of her coat. A part of his mind screamed for him to stop, to just say goodbye and go.

The part of his mind that yearned for Ember.

Then the part of his mind that reminded him or Rainbow.

But both silenced when he felt the feel of a kiss.

Once again, he found himself cut off from everything else. His other hand made its way up to her face, cupping both cheeks and pulling her close. Unlike Rainbow, Twilight didn't seem to have any experience with this kind of thing, as she was restricted to her lips and nothing more. He didn't mind, as her soft lips and made up for it in every way. When oxygen was a must, Twilight broke their kiss and flushed brighter than ever. Draco took a moment to realize it had stopped, and he opened his eyes. He went to speak, but his voice had decided to leave him. Mentally, Twilight was panicking on her actions. Had she been too straightforward? Too brash? Did he not like her in that way?

"Twi… you… like me?" Draco finally asked.

"Ever since… we were kids…" She managed to say.

Now it all made sense. Why she was so angered when she found out he was alive. So hurt. She and Rainbow… both since their youth.

"Do… do you? I mean, like me?" Twilight questioned, getting more anxious by the second.

He felt it. The stab in his heart, yet the warmness of knowing she liked him in that manner. She was somepony he would do anything for, just as he would Rainbow and Ember. But the dragoness had no memory of him, and Rainbow was willing to accept any decision he made. Sure she would probably be heartbroken, but what about Twilight? Would she be the same, or would it ruin their friendship forever?

"There's another mare… isn't there?" Twilight questioned sadly. "It's Ember, isn't it?"

"No, no," Draco assured her. "Twilight, me and Ember never did anything. Not a kiss or anything. We're… we were just friends. I'm just… surprised. I'm not saying I don't like you, Twi. I really do… but… just not now, okay? I need to figure something out first."

She sighed sadly, regretting her decision. "I-I guess I'll see you later."

Draco turned her back to him and hugger her close. "I don't wanna lose you, Twilight," he whispered. "Not again. Please, just a few weeks. I promise… everything will be fine."

She hugged him back, then got back down onto her own hooves. "Goodnight, Draco," Twilight said.

He watched the door close, then cursed as he punched a steel pole. Said pole falling over soon after.

Author's Note:

Whoo, just below 3k. Good. Anyway, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! And Happy Halloween!

PreviousChapters Next