• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,967 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,967

PreviousChapters Next
Amends (I of II)


Trains.

Draco had never been on one, nor had Moon, but he seemed much more calm than the man. The constant rattling and shaking of the metal behemoth made him more frightened by the second. Carrier dragons and chariots were the only ways he had ever traveled. Moon was napping by the window in the room they shared while Draco sat on his bed. The sounds coming from the other room was that of Pinkie and Rainbow laughing about something that had to do with when they first met Twilight.

Speaking of Twilight, she seemed pretty upset with him. There was the fact that he told his family that he was dead, and somehow Twilight must have heard. He was truly sorry that she had to bear that sadness, but he didn't want anypony interfering. She wouldn't understand… Rainbow might have but even he wasn't sure what she would think. Draco sighed and stood up, walking out into the hall of the train and out into the side rail of the train. There, he found Twilight looking out into the fields.

He stood beside her, neither saying a word as they looked out to the fields. A grin was tugging at his lips as he thought whether or not she had been waiting for him. The clacking of the rail beneath them was the only thing that made any noise. He glimpsed at Twilight, who held a saddened frown that deferred from her previous neutrality.

"Why?"

There it was. The question he had prayed for her to never ask.

"Why make us all go through a lie?" Twilight questioned. "What was so important you lied about your own death?"

Draco kept his gaze anywhere but her. He just couldn't bring himself to look her in the eye and tell her. "I had to," he said in a low tone. "You'd never understand, Twi… none of you would."

Twilight turned to him, a determined glare replacing her frown. "Then make me understand," she said, her voice teetering from calm to broken.

Draco wiped his hand over his face again. "Twi, I don't want you to. I want you to forget it," Draco said. "It's not something I can just tell."

"And why not?" Twilight questioned, stepping closer. "We all thought you were dead, and now that I know it was a lie, you think I don't deserve to know?"

"It's not like that!" Draco exclaimed. "Twi, please, its been years and I don't want to argue!"

"Then tell me what was so bad that you had to lie to us!" Twilight shouted, glaring into his eyes as he did the same.

"I can't, damn it! I don't want to tell you, Twi, because-"

"Is it you can't tell me or you don't want to?!" she yelled.

Draco growled before slamming his fist into the metal car. "I CAN'T BECAUSE I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK I'M A MONSTER!" Draco bellowed. "THAT'S THE WAY I'VE ACTED, THE WAY I'VE KILLED: LIKE A MONSTER! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO GO TO YOUR MOTHER AND SAY YOU WERE THE MONSTER SHE STEERED YOU AWAY FROM?! I BROKE HER HEART, MADE HER SUFFER, AND NOW IT'S ALL FOR NOTHING! SO TELL ME, TWI, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?!"

Tears fell from his face as he panted with his teeth clenched. Twilight's glare had loosened, and a few drops fell from her own. "I cried for three months, thinking you were gone," she whispered. "Shining couldn't say anything, Cadence, or even my parents. I slept with the Royal Guard toy for six years before I let you go. I missed you… we all did, even Blueblood. I wished on every star that I would wake up and still be a filly and you'd be there to just fool around with me through the castle."

His breathing steadied as he watched her silently cry, but she wasn't finished.

"You were smarter than me, more open, and you were my first true friend," Twilight sniffled. "I swore to learn everything I needed to and more. I wanted to be smart, maybe even smarter, than you. Because then I would finally have something for you to be impressed about."

Draco hugged her close, and she did the same, sobbing softly into his shoulder. He let his tears drip into her mane, some of the hairs sticking to his cheek. His hand gently ran up and down her back as he did his best to comfort her. She nuzzled him briefly before sniffling and brushing his hair out of her face.

"I was already jealous, Twi." She moved back and tilted her head to the side questioningly. "I knew that the smarter you became, the more magic you'd know. I made up these notions that one day I could see you fighting a dragon or something with all these awesome spells, and it got me jealous that you'd be able to and I couldn't."

Twilight giggled and rubbed her eye. "Only Celestia or Luna might know spells to take one down," she laughed weakly.

"There was nothing you ever had to do to impress me," Draco smiled. "You learned fast, my mother told me you were more if a hooves-on learner, and I knew you'd be somepony important. Didn't think you'd be doing hero work, but still."

She nudged him playfully and giggled. "You and me both," she smiled. "I'm sorry. I-I just… I didn't mean to get you upset about this."

"Me too. I'm sorry to you, I mean," he chuckled. "But all this just happened… and I'm still thinking of what I'm gonna do when Ember wakes up. Just… give me some time, okay? I'll tell you and Rainbow everything soon."

"Alright," Twilight nodded. "Friends?"

Draco nuzzled her and pulled her into another hug. "Friends." Twilight laid her head on his shoulder and exhaled contently.

The clacking of the rails beneath them began to slow and grow louder. "Canterlot Station!" the conductor announced.

"We should go," Draco smiled. "Oh, and Twilight…"

She gasped as he held out the Smarty Pants doll before her. She took it in her magic aura and nuzzle him again. "I thought I told you to keep this?"

"And now I want you to have it," Draco smiled. A faint blush etched Twilight's cheek as she rested it on her back and trotted back inside with him. He held the door open for her, and she bumped into him with her flank playfully.

The high-class ponies all gasped as they saw the injured prince, but the Solar Guards surrounded him and the Elements. The commanding officer saluted to him, and Draco nodded softly. "I'll be fine," Draco said. "Return to your posts… and make sure the other guards are informed that I'll need a moment to speak with my mother."

"Yes, sir," he saluted.

"And just Draco, from now on Lieutenant." The stallion nodded with a slight grin as Draco walked past him with the six mares and baby dragon.

"Ooh, I've always dreamed of living here!" Rarity squeed. "The decor of the Canterlot homes are very pricey, but they are to die for!"

"Eh, just a bunch of fancy stuff with weird names," Rainbow shrugged. "Too complicated."

"Yeah! And the parties here are supposed to be awesomely-super! Like the Gala!" Pinkie giggled. "Ooh, when we get back to Ponyville, I'm so throwing you, Ember, and Moon an awesome party! Hey, where is Moon?"

"Behind us with Fluttershy," Draco said, pointing with his thumb to the wolf-pony.

He was in a very deep conversation with the shy mare, who smiled and giggled at some of what he said. "Well ain't they gettin' along nice?" Applejack chuckled. "Though she'd be scared right to the moon from the fella."

Draco chuckled. "Yeah. The first time we met was through a brawl," Draco grinned. "But he's nice. Maybe a bit too careful, but it's all for his friends."

They turned a corner and slowed so that the pair behind them could catch up. The castle walls were in sight as they crossed the street. Every detail of the limestone and cobble walls, along with the turrets and towers, were something he could never forget. The Equestrian flag waved proudly from the banners above the towers and hanging from the walls of the castle. He gulped anxiously as he stepped in front of the guards guarding the gate. They saluted him shakily and opened the golden doors, allowing them passage. He opened the door and guided the group through the enormous halls until they were a hallway away from the throne room.

"Twi… you know where the guest rooms are. Take the girls there for now," Draco instructed. "I want to speak to my mom alone. Moon…"

Midnight Moon stood at his side, and Draco glanced to his other, forgetting about Ember's condition and imagining her nodding. "You know where t' find us, then," Rainbow sighed. "Good luck, I guess."

He nodded softly, then turned to Twilight who gave him a reassuring smile. "She needs to know," she repeated. "C'mon girls, its just through here."

Rainbow waved her hoof and flew after the other Elements. "Are you ready, Draco?" Moon asked.

Draco exhaled nervously and placed his hand on the cold gold of the massive door. "Ready."

Author's Note:

Late night update, blame family, but you know the drill. Like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next