• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
Leaving Early


The lights inside of the training ship were off, and outside the moon shone and the stars twinkled in the night sky. Everything was silent, more so than usual. It was maddening to Ember. She tossed and turned in her bunk violently, clawing at her head as her headache morphed into a migraine. Her stomach knotted in pain, and she held back a groan as she tore her sheets away.

Nimash sat up from her own bed and watched Ember stand and make her way to the female lounge. She stood up and silently crept after her, making sure the others were asleep. Peeking around the corner, Nimash looked around for her Isika, managing to catch a glimpse of her tail going into the showers. Nimash followed, watching as Ember turned the water to a soothing temperature and sat down on the floor. One of her claws were holding her stomach, while the other rested on her leg.

"Ember," Nimash called softly, causing the dragoness to quickly turn to her. "It's fine. We are alone."

She stripped away the garments she slept in, leaving only the skin tight black material over her body, and sat beside Ember. They sat together in silence, Ember's breaths sounding more deep and straining. Nimash put her hand on her shoulder, and the dragoness gently placed her claw over it. Nimash slowly pulled Ember into a hug, sighing softly as she felt her Isika twitch in pain.

"Enough is enough, Isika," she told her quietly. "You need to go back… you can't stay any longer."

Ember sighed softly, nodding just as weakly. "I know… I know," she whispered.

"I can have my uncle take us back down to your planet," Nimash said, looking to her friend. "We can leave tomorrow if you'd like."

Ember nodded, grunting as a slight pain jolted her stomach. "I'm sorry, Isika," she shakily murmured.

Nimash only laughed softly and kissed the dragoness' head as she helped her up. "Most of us do it as well," she admitted bashfully. "You're just like my sister, Elwya."

It was hard for Ember to laugh, but she managed to let a few slip. "Thank you…"

"You're very welcome, Isi-"

Nimash held her tongue as Ember started to snore against her shoulder. Picking up her friend, she turned the water off and did her best to dry the dragoness and herself before taking her back to their sleeping quarters. Nimash laid her in bed and went back to her own bunk, nodding off slowly to her memories.


The next day…


Ember pulled on her armor sloppily as she readied to leave with Nimash. Her rival and friend helped strap on the armor her father gave her, tying the straps on her gauntlets. They kept from placing the shell of the armor over her body, as she would get much more weary from wearing the full set. Nimash carried it for her, and they waited patiently in the hangar for her uncle. It wasn't long before a dropship entered through the hangar door.

Nimash recognized the insignia on the side of the small craft and helped Ember to her feet. The dragoness was surprised to see a Signa exit the dropship, and Nimash hurried over to give him a hug.

"Dot dit demi et ezi jro grika, Herdo Vishik! (It is good to see you again, Uncle Vishik)!" She laughed in her native tongue.

"Grak jro ik usha, Nimash (And you as well, Nimash)" The man chuckled. He glanced to Ember, then turned back to his niece. "Hrök dit urit (Who is she?)"

Nimash chuckled and held Ember's arm. "Uncle, this is Ember. She is to be wedded to the Doshu'um." The man's eyes widened and he dropped to a formal bow.

"Makatesh (Wife of Makti)" He said softly. "I did not know you would be a part of our armies."

"She's as skilled as any warrior I know," Nimash laughed. "Uncle, we must hurry."

He looked to Ember, his eyes trailing to her stomach, then nodded softly. "Come."

Nimash helped Ember climb on board, setting her down on one of the built in seats. She pulled the straps over her body to secure her then did the same.

"Are you both ready?" Vishik asked.

"Yes, Uncle," Nimash called.

The dropship hummed lowly, then lurched backwards as it lifted off of the landing zone. It passed through the hangar door and zoomed out of the exit in the side of the dreadnought. Ember held Nimash's hand as they descended, heading straight for the Dragon Kingdom. Ember glanced out of the window, gasping as she noticed Canterlot Castle getting further and further away.

"Wait," Ember grunted. "Turn back… to Canterlot."

"Isika, your home is—"

"Tell my father… I'll be in Canterlot," she said weakly. "Just take me."

Vishik nodded and turned the vessel around, heading straight for Canterlot. Ember closed her eyes as the craft lurched forward, then jolted back, steadying as they descended gently. The dropship's hum died when they touched down, and Vishik came into the passenger room with them, pressing a panel by the side of the door. The door lifted up for them, and Vishik stepped down and reached a hand out to Ember. She took the offered hand and slowly got down from the craft.

When she looked around, she realized they were in the Castle Courtyard. However, it wasn't how it looked the year before. Solar Guards and Loki'irians went around the area, most of the men being Signa. Some of the warriors glanced towards them, and two of them rushed over.

"Is she injured?" One asked.

"We need to bring her to a healer," Vishik said. "Can you escort her?"

The two warriors nodded, and one ran ahead while the other accessed a comm link. "Bring us a healer and a gurney," he ordered. "The Doshu'um's partner requires medical assistance."

Nimash and Vishik waited until the healer rushed out with the Loki'irian made gurney, which floated beside her. Once Ember was placed carefully, she was rushed inside as the woman'a hands moved above her body, energy appearing in each palm as she tended to the dragoness. Ember felt some of her pain ease up, and she managed to look at the room they'd entered. It looked like the medical wing of the castle. Her body was lifted by an invisible force and placed on a more comfortable bed.

She looked up to the healer relieving the pain from her. "How do you feel?" Her voice sounded gentle and soothing.

"Better than I have been," Ember sighed with relief.

"Good," the woman smiled. "My name is Urishana. You are the Doshu'um's partner, yes?"

Ember nodded, feeling good enough to sit up slightly. "Yes." Before the healer could do any sort of bow, Ember put a claw up. "Please, I'm not exactly comfortable with giants bowing to me."

Urishana laughed, her hands hovering above the dragoness' stomach while the yellow energy did its work. "You'll be sleeping with a giant soon, anyhow," she chuckled.

Ember rose a brow, but she remembered about her fiancé's training. But one other thing bothered her. "How did you know what he's been doing?"

Urishana smiled warmly. "I've been his healer until I was needed with the maturing Signa. I only left last week," she told her.

"How is he?" Ember quickly asked. "Is he alright? Has he gotten through his training?"

The bombardment of questions caused Urishana to laugh again, just as softly. "He is doing exceedingly well," she nodded. "He's gone through the training of a Signa and broken nearly every bone in his body. And he's stronger than any Signa alive… aside from Figanti and his older brother."

Ember smiled, glad to know her lover was doing okay and was closer than ever to being Makti. Closer to returning to her.

"You bear his child," Urishana smiled softly. "Would you like to know the gender?"

"How is that possible?" Ember asked.

"Male Signa and female Signa give off different forms of our energy. A male's energy is felt as unstable, as most men can become stronger whenever they can. A female's energy is felt as sturdy. I'm sure I don't have to explain." Both of them laughed, but Ember's laughs died down much faster than Urishana. The healer noticed and stopped, clearing her throat gently. "So would you like to know?"

"Truthfully… I would… but I would like to find out myself," she smiled. Urishana nodded in understanding. "Is there anything you can tell me about my child?"

Urishana closed her eyes and let her energies interact with the growing signature inside of the dragoness. "Your child is… nearly ready to meet you," she began, smiling softly. "Hmm… its definitely a feisty one. And… its energy is extremely well developed already. You'll be blessed with a healthy child. Is this your first?"

Ember nodded with an anxious smile. "I'm a bit apprehensive… and I'm afraid of something going wrong."

"Don't worry. We'll have the best healers and medical personnel to help you," Urishana assured her. "I'll send word to Reku—"

"No," Ember exclaimed, nervously fidgeting as Urishana looked at her curiously. "He still has a long time of training ahead of him. The last thing I'd want is for him to be distracted… I didn't tell him I was pregnant in the first place."

Urishana's eyes widened slightly, confused as to why she wouldn't tell her lover that he would be a father. But it made sense. Reku'un was still in need of training, especially since he was an Alamonshuor. And yet she couldn't help but pity the dragoness in a way. The most wonderful thing for any father would be to see his child once they were born. To know that they would carry on their name with pride and honor. Every Loki'irian held family close, something no amount of violence or bloodshed would change. And still… Reku'un had not gone through any sort of tradition aside from the Ragnok battle. What would one more taboo do now?

"Alright," Urishana nodded. "I'll need to check on the other Signa. Tomorrow I will be here with another healer to get you ready for what's to come. Until then."

"Until then," Ember nodded. Urishana left her room in a hurry.

When she was sure she was alone, Ember laid back and placed her claws over her belly, trying to feel any indication of the child within her. Would it be like a pony's birth? All bloody and messy? Or would she have a similar egg as other dragons? Only time would tell, and it brought a build up of fear, excitement, wonder, and reluctance.

But she'd have Draco with her. Along with their families and friends. And that was all she would need. All their child would need.

Author's Note:

Another one down! Great teets of Celestia, am I excited for the twist of twist's and the end to this story! Until then, I just want to say that I hope all of you who have supported this story are here when these times come. SO! Until then, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next