• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,979 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,979

Chapters Next
Prologue

Drigont, Cruiser-Class Warship.


Cargo: VIP's


Status: Heavily Damaged; Engine 1 disabled; Currently Under Fire


A flash of red followed an enormous explosion. The void of space sucked in any objects not built into the starship. The halls had several emergency breach doors shut in and contain the breach. On the bridge, dozens of large men frantically ran around, delivering information while others manned the defense cannons on board.

The vessel was surrounded by four crude yet efficient attack shuttles. The cannons tore through the single ship's exterior and threatened to tear the ship in half. The cannons had been shot out of commission, leaving the ship utterly defenseless. A round blew through the bridge, forcing the occupants to put on their helmets. Their suits carried oxygen filters, allowing them to scramble as they planned what they would do next.

"Makti el urizz (Makti on deck!)"

The men bowed quickly to their leader and went back to trying to keep the ship going. "Ezek jre osholok düsh vrit zekva? (Can we displace from this region?)" he asked his second in command.

The man shook his head. "Nra. Ut vurt'ik evvo gorshev, grak jre gandala rak esugar (No. The core's been pierced, and our cannons are offline)" the man sighed. "Ut Doshu'um zek'et unafta uro huzoek (The Doshu'um can't remain any longer)"

Their leader sighed, turning back to his spouse and children. Five of which were grown, but they did not matter except for the sixth. He was asleep, unaware of the hopeless battle raging around them. His brothers each waited for orders from their father, but they only got one.

"Apo. Jre'av nigash ut sobalka huzo nugara erit jro fer et divago (Go. We'll distract the soldiers long enough for you all to escape)" His sons gasped and walked closer to him.

"Nra! Jre'ak burat et iska grak polto! (No. We're going to stay and fight!)" the third eldest protested.

"Jro zek'et iska! Ut Drigont gav'et venshok nofit huzoek! (You can't stay! The Drigont won't survive much longer!)" the second youngest added. "Jre'ak ket yunishi, Herod (We're not leaving, Father)"

The man embraced each of them, then held his wife closely. He gazed to his youngest son, who snored lightly as they each sobbed. The mother and her children ran to the deepest part of the ship, bearing through small explosions and structural collapses within the warship. They entered seperate pods, then placed a hand on a panel beside the door.

The side of the hull blew off, and seven small pods rocketed off to different coordinates. The seventh, holding the mother and her newborn, fled away from the ship. She closed her eyes and held her breath when the starship exploded, causing the single light to flicker. She gasped when she felt a splitting pain in her chest. After placing her hand over the hurting area, she looked at her fingers and saw blood.

"Nra… ekuzaak, nra (No… please, no)"

Her pod entered faster than light travel for several seconds, then stopped as she reached the orbit of a small planet. She could sense many life forms, some stronger than the rest. Her tiny shuttle flew to the dark side of it, coming crashing down in a ball of fire. Holding her son close, she braced for a rough impact.


Nearly 20 years before NMM's return


Celestia gazed at the night sky, a smile adorning her usually somber face. A millenia was nearly passing, and she would finally see her sister again. She was glad to know her sister was coming, but without her connection to the Elements, she would need to find worthy replacements. Still, she had about 20 years, so there was more than enough time to seek the new Elements.

She was ready to retire to her chambers, when something in the sky caught her attention. The object passed in front of the moon, a trail of smoke following it. Celestia watched with curiosity as the unidentified object soared over the land, disappearing in the Everfree Forest.

Celestia trotted into the guard barracks, and all the guards saluted. "Captain Silver," she called. The Captain of the Royal Guard came front and center with his armor. "I need you to gather a small group of guards to enter the Everfree."

The Captain gulped and stood tall. "Your Majesty, am I at liberty to ask why?" he hesitantly asked.

"I may have seen an asteroid hit the forest, and a wildfire would be too close to Ponyville," she explained. "Accompany a sqaudron and report back to me."

Captain Silver nodded and went to go find some of his stallions. In just an hour, the small squad had awoken, geared up, and were flying to the cursed forest.

"Sir, don't you think it's a little odd the Princess sent guards instead of firefighters to deal with a potential fire?" Corporal Dasher asked.

"I did," Silver replied, "but sometimes answers lie ahead."

"Yes, sir," Dasher nodded.

"How's that foal of yours, Dasher?" Seargant Bush questioned. "She alright?"

"Yup. She'll be flying just like every other pegasus mare," he chuckled. "Her name's Rainbow Dash."

"Took after you in the looks department, from what Marebell told me," Corporal Ragged added. "She a fighter like you, too?"

"Might be," Dasher smiled. "Might be."

Their chariot landed in the field between Ponyville and the Everfree. The low grass was flattened by their heavy hoof guards as they cautiously entered the forest. Thankfully, all that came was noise; no manticores or timberwolves were around. They were mainly day hunters, and they wouldn't bother a squad of Solar Guards.

"Captain," Ragged whispered. "Smoke comin' from the south."

"Understood," Silver nodded. He led the group towards the cloud of smoke, and as they got closer, more fallen trees and some burning branches blocked their way. "Put out those fires. Don't want a bigger one heating up."

The guards kicked dirt on any fires to put them out. As they came to the clearing, they each stared in amazement. A crater path ended at a strange hunk of metal. The ponies drew their spears as they inched closer to the debris. Captain Silver looked at the front (he assumed) of the strange object. He could see a chair for a pony bigger than Celestia inside, and it looked pretty cramped.

"Captain, there's a door back here," Dasher called. Silver came around the side and looked at the sealed door. "Permission to do some recon, sir?"

"Granted." Dasher carefully pushed open the door and entered the small object, leaving their sight.

"Who do you think built it?" Ragged asked.

"Probably the griffons," Bush shrugged. "They've always been up on the scale of electricity."

"Yeah, but that was just lights," Private Red informed them. "I think it's aliens."

The group groaned. "Don't start, Red," Ragged groaned.

"We had enough of your conspiracy theories last week," Silver sighed. "The one about Celestia using bananas for dark magic just killed it."

"Why do you think she gets so many?!" Red exclaimed.

"Well, she probably eats them," Ragged said. "I mean, what else could she do with it?"

They each shrugged. "Would explain why she's getting a bit thicker in the haunches," Bush chuckled.

"Sir!" Silver galloped over to the pod to meet with Dashed. "There was an occupant in here."

"How do you know?" Silver questioned. Dasher showed him a piece of cloth, stained with blood.

"There's a lot more blood inside. Whatever was in here must have been badly wounded," Dasher said.

"Any idea where it might lead?" Red asked. Dasher pointed towards the door, and since the smoke had cleared they could see into it.

Actually, through it. The wall opposite of the door had been busted open, and pieces of bloodied fabric trailed towards a separation of bushes. The path cleared was surprisingly long, long enough to leave his sight. Silver gasped as he realized where it was leading.

"Everypony get back to the chariots!" he ordered. They galloped full speed to the waiting extraction team.

"What's going on, sir?" Dasher questioned.

"Whatever was in there is heading straight for Canterlot Castle!" Silver told them as they kept sprinting.

"But you'd need to go there by chariot!" Red called up.

"I'm not taking any chances," Silver grunted.

They bursted through the foliage and got back into the waiting chariots. After yelling at the pegasi to fly them back, Silver waited impatiently as they flew back up to the mountain. As they flew over Canterlot, Bush shook him and pointed over the side of the chariot.

"There! Do you see it?!" Silver squinted his eyes as he caught a glimpse of something jumping across the rooftops. He could only make out that it was on two legs but nothing else.

"What is that thing?" Silver asked aloud.

"Beats the hell out of me, sir," Bush said. "It's pretty damn fast though! And looks like you were right! It's just a street away from the castle!"

"Take us down now!" Silver ordered. The pegasi nodded and landed just outside the walls.

Two guards shouted as they hit the ground, grunting in pain. "It's already over the wall!" Dasher yelled.

"You two go straight to Celestia's throne and make sure she's safe!" Silver ordered. They saluted and took off into the castle. "Come on! We have to make sure that thing doesn't get near the Princess!"


Canterlot Castle, Throne Room


Celestia sipped some coffee from a teacup and settled it on the hoof rest of her seat. She waited eagerly for Captain Silver's return, since she was very curious as to what it was that fell out of the sky. To her shock, the golden doors to her throne room were knocked off their hinges and two pegasi guards were tossed inside. Celestia stood up and charged her horn, ready for an attack.

She gasped as a strange creature stepped into the room. It was bipedal, with two legs and two arms wrapped around a bundle of cloth. But what really had her attention was the blood on it. It wasn't from the pegasi, and from how fresh it looked and how much was dripping from its body she knew it was hurt. The creature stumbled towards her, it's face covered by some sort of plant-like mask. She could see its body was also covered in the vegetative cloths.

"What are you doing in my throne room?" she asked with a powerful voice.

The biped looked at her, then to the bundle of cloth. As if ignoring her, it stumbled forward, approaching the steps leading up to her throne. The guards that had recovered from the initial shock charged forward, but their weapons were snatched by an invisible force and pointed at them.

"Stop," Celestia ordered. "Our medical staff can help you, but please, stand down."

The biped didn't stop. Soon it reached the steps and began to climb going slower and slower as she got closer.

"This is your final warning," Celestia warned. Her horn charged up, ready in case she needed to defend herself.

The creature collapsed at the base of the steps. She could see the wound in its torso clearly, the hole weeping blood at an alarming rate. Celestia gasped as she realized one of its hands were reaching up to her, slowly and forcefully.

"Princess!" she heard Silver's voice yell.

"I got it!" Seargant Bush said. He aimed his spear, then threw it as hard as he could.

"Seargant, no!" Celestia shouted. But it was too late.

Celestia's bolt missed the spear, and it sailed over the marble floor and into the creatures back. It let out a sharp gasp, but it kept crawling up the steps. Celestia came to help it, but she gasped when she saw the mask breaking apart.

"Get a doctor now, Silver," Celestia ordered. He nodded and galloped out of the room. "Please, stay with us. We're going to help you."

The biped quickly separated its hand from the cloth and placed it on Celestia's head. A small headache passed over her, but it vanished when the creature dropped its appendage.

"You… you… must…" she croaked, trying her hardest to keep awake.

"My guards will have a doctor here in just a minute," Celestia told it. "Just hold on."

"No." Celestia looked incredulously as the vegetation vanished, revealing a long maned biped with a small nose, eyes and mouth. "You must… you must… take… him… please."

She turned the bundle over and showed the face of a tiny newborn. Celestia stared at the child with amazement, curiosity, and realization. The woman grunted softly, her eyes drooping weakly. She nuzzled the child briefly, tears dropping onto the boy's face. The creature forced itself up, the spear still in her back, and stretched her arms out to Celestia. She looked at the solar princess and whispered, "Please… take… take him. Take… good care of… of him…" She coughed and spasmed harshly, tears streaming down her face as she held the bundle tightly. "They'll come… and he… he'll protect… you all… he'll… protect… you…" Her smile turned blank as her arms slipped away.

"No. Please, stay with us!" Celestia pleaded as she casted a small healing spell. The mother laid on the floor, her eyes staring endlessly. "Where's the doctor?!"

Silver ran back in with two doctors in tow. "Damn it, Bush!" he yelled. "I didn't order you to attack it!"

"I thought-"

As the guards bickered, Celestia watched the two doctors check over the female for any signs of life. She then glanced to the child, who was now squirming in the cloths. Celestia used her magic to raise the boy, then settled him into her hooves. It's eyes opened and it started fussing quietly.

Celestia looked to the doctors, who shook their heads with disappointment. She ordered them to get a gurney over to carry it out, and when they left she stared at the body of the mother.

"I promise," she whispered. "I'll take care of him… you have nothing to worry about."

The only witnesses of the mysterious creature were sworn to secrecy, lest there be a public panic. The body was buried in the Canterlot Castle Morgue, with a fake identity to make it blend in. Celestia refused to allow the scientists to examine it. She resided in her chambers, the child now out of the blankets and crawling over her bed. It used its little appendages to grab one of her pillows and teeth on it.

"What might you be doing?" she giggled as the boy babbled something into the pillow.

It giggled as it climbed onto the large pillow and rolled off. Celestia laughed softly and laid beside it on her bed. The child looked at her with wonder, as if it was staring at a butterfly, then yawned quietly as its eyes drooped. The solar princess wrapped her wing around it, which the child made no protest to, and pulled him closer.

Celestia watched it play with the feathers between it's fingers, gurgling excitedly but it was definitely about to fall asleep. Though the mother never did speak of his name, she remembered she still hadn't named him. She looked over his features for some sort of inspiration, and her gaze lingered over its small palm.

What looked like a scar was actually an image. She leaned closer and squinted her eyes to try and figure out what it was. It looked… almost, actually, very much like… a dragon?

"Are you related to dragons?" she asked out loud. The boy gurgled softly and put a hand on her snout. "Hmm. What might be a good dragon name?"

"Eaaahh!" he laughed as he grabbed her flowing mane. "Bbbbbbb!"

Celestia giggled with amusement at his gibberish. As she thought harder, she came up with the perfect name. "Draco. I'm sure the dragon king won't mind, isn't that right, Draco?"

The boy giggled, another yawn overpowering his eyes. He snuggled into her coat, his breathing already beginning to slow. Celestia smiled warmly, then rested her head on a pillow. The mother's face flashed through her mind momentarily. She then glanced to the boy who was beginning to snore, and she nuzzled his cheek gently.

"You have nothing to worry about…"

Author's Note:

Just a heads up: This is an alternate story line to my main story. To any of you interested, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day!

Chapters Next