• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,992 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,992

PreviousChapters Next
…Hope can Demolish…

Author's Note:

Now… Dragon Blaze X: I stole your shotgun shells, pistol bullets, and hid your nuke. Like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night. Peaces.

(August 2014)

Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying the story so far! (But you're probably gonna hate me after you read the chap but HEAR ME OUT). I urge you to at least read the next chap and read the AN at the end. Thanks! Have an awesome day or night!

Two weeks later…

She wasn't waking up.

Draco held her firmly, whispering and talking as if she were there. But her body was still, her scales were greyish, and her breaths were coming shorter and shorter. He could see the grimaces of pain and anguish, and the fact that he couldn't know made him feel useless.

And yet, he wasn't ready to give up.

They had been through too much. The attack when they were ten, losing Dasher, the journey back to the mountains, six years of training, a week of her first Illness, the war, and Grypho. She was the runt, but he didn't believe that. She had done things most dragon males could and couldn't do. She ended a war, freed hundreds of griffons, saved Shadow's life, and survived an arrow to the heart. Being born weak, she shouldn't have been able to do those things.

But she did.

She proved every fighter wrong, including her own father. Proved that even though she was a princess, a diplomatic and peaceful figure, she could overthrow nations, lead armies, fight tooth, nail, and tail for what she believed in.

And she believed in him.

Draco moved his hand over her face again, wishing he could make the pain go away. "Remember the day… I took you to Manehatten?"

"I was hoping you'd remember… that you'd have the biggest flashback… like from some dumb film," he laughed. "That was all I could think about on the way there. And then we got to the restaurant Moon was talking about. We were still holding each other, and we didn't talk until we got to the roof. We talked with our old war buddies, the ones you couldn't remember, and I saw you trying to remember any of it."

She took a deep and shaky inhale, the strain in her throat evident.

"And then you listened to me," Draco chuckled, wiping a tear out of his eye. "I saw that you still listened to me, just like when I was little. I would talk forever, and you would listen until you had something else to get me talking about, or when you were tired and I wouldn't shut up."

Ember's tail dragged itself across the bed, going motionless by the end of it.

"You and Moon changed me. Dasher changed me. But you… you gave me more than revenge to fight for," Draco whispered, nuzzling her motionless snout. "To see you get through the fighting, to see you in Equestria, to see you when I woke up… to see you everyday."

"That's why you can't die." Draco held her claw and kissed it, wiping the tears beginning to stream down to his cheek. "I don't know if you love me… but I love you. I'll take rejection… but I can't see you die. I already saw it once… and this thing inside of me… I messed up so badly it won't even help me anymore. Please, Ember… don't die. Don't die."

He let a choked sob escape, sniffling and wiping away a tear that fell on Ember's cheek. Her breathing stopped… and he placed his first two fingers against her neck. Nothing. He leaned down to her chest… but no sound. He clenched his fists and jaw, not wanting to cry anymore. But he couldn't stop it. He cried with his head leaning into hers, her mouth slightly open. He held the sides of her head, and kissed her.

Kisses bringing others to life was just part of old pony tales. No, he kissed her because he wanted to wish her a pleasant goodbye. He let his lips touch her cold scales, and after some time he sat up and draped the blankets over her. He kept his head atop her chest, letting out the last of his sobs.

"I'm sorry, Ember," he whispered. "I'm sorry."

King Draco's Throne Room


The king could only think of his daughter, and the time that had passed. Her Illness had to be ending in a day or so, but he still didn't know how she was doing.

He perked his head up when the stone doors opened, and Draco stood with a form covered by blankets. The king stood up as his pupil brought the body over, his gazed strictly lowered to the ground. King Draco slowly walked down the short steps, stopping in front of Draco. The young man forced himself to look up, showing his reddish eyes and irritated nose. He shook his head slowly, and the king looked down to the covered body. His arms reached under her, and he held her in shock and disbelief. Draco stood back, watching as King Draco kept silent and only stared. He fell to his knees, tears falling despite his neutral expression. Draco turned and began walking out, and just as he reached the threshold, he heard a pained and vicious roar from behind.

Draco pushed past the other fighters, glaring at Flare and running away. He ran until he reached the entrance to the cliff, and he ran to the edge and fell to his knees at the very ledge.

"EMBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!"



Nyla shivered as she felt her partner's pain, both in her heart and mind.

Nyla?

The Nera'ak snorted a puff of smoke through her nostrils and turned to Jaqeluu.

Is… is Reku'un alright?

He is… alive.

What's happened?

He… he's lost someone dear to him… his mate I'd think.

But he's only nine cycles. Are you positive he found his spouse?

Perhaps not his spouse… but she was definitely someone closer than any he's let close to his heart.

Jaqeluu sighed as he rubbed the crest above her eye, thinking back to the you gest of them.

It's his first time… losing a suitable love. He could be like us and only love once… but may Minira bless him with the freedom of attraction.

Or at least other interests.

Jaqeluu nodded, taking the green and cyan gem carved medallion from his chest and looking long and hard at it.

We're coming, little brother… we're coming.

PreviousChapters Next