• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,967 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,967

PreviousChapters Next
New Feelings


"Ugh." Twilight rubbed the side of her head as she sat up, yawning soon after. She took a quick view at her surroundings, which was the usual oak of the library. "That's funny… I thought I saw… no, i-it was just a dream."

She slipped out of her bed and brushed her mane back, heading downstairs to check on Spike. When she reached the staircase, she could hear Spike and several other voices, being those of her new friends. But there was a distinct male voice that she recognized all too well. She stepped down the stairs slowly, and halfway down she could see her friends with Spike, sitting across from…

"Draco?" They all turned to the unicorn as she slowly approached Draco, unsure if she was really seeing him.

His wild black mane along with his hazel irisis were familiar, but his build was much different than she expected. The bandages around his head and over most of his body drew her attention, as well as the black marking on his hand. He smiled softly at her, but Rainbow was still snickering.

"You alright there, egghead?" Rainbow chuckled. "Try not to pass out this time."

Draco nudged her in the side, and she did the same. "Hey, Twilight," Draco smiled. "How's everything be-"

She hugged him as hard as she could, and he wrapped his good arm around her. Draco sighed and did his best to comfort her while the others watched. A few shudders left Twilight as she started sobbing into his shoulder. Rainbow put her hoof reassuringly on Twilight, understanding her reasons. When the lavender mare had calmed down enough, Draco seperated and wiped the tears from her face. He wiped one away from his own, but he smiled nonetheless.

"It's good seeing you, too," Draco chuckled.

"Where have you been?" Twilight giggled. "I thought… we all thought you were…"

"Dead?" Twilight nodded, sniffling as she wiped another tear from her eye. "I know… I'm… I'm sorry."

Moon yelped as Fluttershy checked the cut on his cuts along his legs. "If you keep licking it it's going to hurt," Fluttershy told him.

"I can't help it," Moon grumbled, wincing as she wrapped a new bandage on his leg.

"Does Celestia even know you're here?" Twilight questioned.

Draco shook his head, glancing to the floor briefly. "I want to keep it that way," he said softly. Rainbow raised a brow and sat up.

"Why?" Twilight and Rainbow asked.

"I'm not staying. I'm leaving to the Dragon Kingdom as soon as Ember wakes up," Draco said.

"What?!" Rainbow exclaimed. "You can't leave! Remember what we promised each other?!"

"And Celestia needs to know you're okay!" Twilight added.

"No, she doesn't," Draco argued. "I'm dead, she can rule without any deadweight, and I can live in the Dragon Kingdom. The girls already told me about you defeating Nightmare Moon, and from the sound of things I have an aunt."

"What do you mean aunt?" Pinkie asked. "Is Celestia your mom?!"

"Pinkie, don't be ridiculous," Rarity said. "I honestly doubt Celestia would ever have-"

"I am," Draco interrupted. "She's never told me about where I've come from, and I know that she didn't give birth to me, but she adopted me and raised me. I see her as a mother, and she sees me as a son."

"I KNEW IT!" Pinkie shouted. "You were the thingy everypony was talking about that Celestia was sad over six years ago! I thought you looked the same!"

"You're a prince?" Spike questioned. "Don't look like one much."

Twilight shot him a look of disbelief, but Draco laughed. "I know. But Celestia raised me with Cadence and Blueblood," he said. "But why didn't my mother ever tell me she had a sister?"

"Maybe you should ask her yourself." Draco looked at Twilight with a small glare, but hers had much more intensity.

"I said, no." Pinkie pushed Twilight away and pressed Draco into his seat.

"MAYBE we could tell her later! Right guys?" She asked, smiling nervously. "C'mon! I have to throw you and Moon a party, after all!"

"My own mother sent me to a place I had never been with a dragon I had never spoken to, and then I was attacked," Draco snarled. "If she had just let me stay in the castle, none of this would have ever happened!"

"You know why she sent you with King Draco!" Twilight shouted. "None of us knew how to help you!"

"Help with what?" Rainbow questioned.

"He murdered the Captain of the Royal Guard in front of us," Twilight said.

"THAT WAS NOT ME!" Draco yelled. "Moon, sit down!"

They looked at Moon, who was on his paws and looking as if he were ready to attack. "She didn't speak to one pony for a month after we were told you died," Twilight said. "It took her another year to actually keep teaching me, and Cadence, and Blueblood, and…"

Draco sighed and looked to the floor. "I've already told you she just wanted the best for you, Draco," Moon said. "There's no reason for your anger."

Draco clenched his fist and stood up, then walked to the door. "I'll think on it," Draco said. He stepped outside and shut the door behind him, but Rainbow trotted to the door and turned to them.

"I'll talk to him," Rainbow said.

"It's best to avoid him during his small bouts," Moon warned.

Rainbow smirked and laughed boastfully. "Don't sweat it! Draco isn't that crazy. Be right back."

She closed the door and bolted after Draco, who had already gained a head start and much attention from the local residents.

"Draco. Draco? Come on, it's been forever since we hung out and you're acting dumb," Rainbow laughed weakly. "Draco!"

He ignored her completely as he walked into the outskirts of the rural town. Rainbow glared at Draco from behind, but her expression soon changed to one of thought, and finally a smirk. She took flight and hovered in place while Draco kept going. Doing a small backflip, she zoomed forward until she tackled him to the ground, getting him into a masterlock immediately. She yelped when Draco slipped his leg behind hers and wriggled his arms free, then flipped over and curled her into submission from his side.

Even in her position, she could make out the grin of victory he would get when he thought he was winning. "Had enough?" Draco smirked.

"Maybe…" She tickled just under his chin with the feathers of her wing, forcing him to reach up to stop the tickling. Using her opening, she wrapped her legs around his body, pulled a leg up, and pulled one of his arms back. "…maybe not."

Draco tapped out immediately, laughing as she rolled off. "You always were a cheater," he scoffed playfully.

"Just jealous 'cause you don't have wings," Rainbow sang, trotting in circles and waving as if a crowd had watched her take him down.

Draco sat up in the grass and sighed. "Just wish you coulda been there for it all." Rainbow frowned as she sat down beside him, watching him stare at the ground.

"What was I gonna tell my dad? And when I'm seven?" She laughed. Draco chuckled lightly and looked at her.

She was still the same stubborn, tough, rainbow-maned filly he grew up with for some time. Her body was slimmer than most of the other mares, but it probably had to do with her well toned body. Her mane was still pretty ragged, and the colors were brighter than before. She was… happy. He expected it, truth be told. Rainbow never worried about much really, and whatever it was proved to be a bit ridiculous. But she always kept her head high and proud (maybe too much at times) along with her usual laziness here and there.

To think, that she knew nothing of her father's death, and he held Dasher as he passed. "You alright?" Rainbow chuckled.

Draco snapped out of his thoughts, nodding slowly. "Yeah."

Rainbow wrapped her wing over his shoulder and nuzzled him gently. "C'mon, Draco. You can't be mad at your mom for trying to help you," she said softly. "So she sent you somewhere far, she was just lookin' out for you, right?"

Draco sighed and wiped his hand over his face. "Right."

"And do ya think Celestia doesn't still love you?" Rainbow asked.

Mommy loves you, Draco. Mommy loves you very much.

Draco bit his lip in hopes of restraining a whimper. "Y-Yeah," he said, his voice cracking.

"You just missed her, but I think Twi can get us to see her," she continued. "Ember's gonna be in bed for a couple days, and it'll only take two or three days anyway. We can be back in time to be there when she wakes up. Whatdya say?"

He chuckled softly, remembering another instance much like this one that ended the former Captain of the Royal Guard. While she didn't have the finesse of a mother, she did have the 'tell it how it is' trait. He sniffled and wiped his nose, not wanting to look soft in front of his old friend.

"As long as you come with me this time," Draco laughed weakly.

Rainbow laughed and hugged him as he did the same. "Now stop crying like a baby," she snickered. Draco pinched her shoulder, and she flicked his injured shoulder.

He remembered this hug like the back of his hand. Her soft coat between his fingers, her wings draped over his back, and her soft breaths running down his back. Eleven years he'd been missing this, and now he knew she was truly keeping her word. And though he was mostly covered up, Rainbow could feel the muscle beneath the thin clothes.

His height was a real shock, and the armor, and blood, and war-fighting, but he was the same softie she knew. His biceps pressed into her sides were something she had never felt, but they were unlike anything she'd ever felt. The strength he was packing was only slightly shown from his impressive shoulder width and the way his chest bumped out a bit. As more memories returned, her very last one forced her cheeks to flush intensely. She cleared her throat and pulled back, stretxhing her hooves in an attempt to brush it off.

"Alright, w-we should get to Twi's. And go to Canterlot. With the girls. To see Celestia," Rainbow stammered. She waited for him to get up so they could start their walk back to the library.

Just hope he doesn't remember… or he does.



"Jrem utnot bosh (We've found him)" A furred biped snarled to his superior. The larger, deformed creature growled lowly and slunk over to the radar.

"Boshet gut… brak ut Loki'irianet uve bidichu it negas (He's far… and the Loki'irians are massing a fleet)" The mutant growled lowly. "Dotet bosh. Jre unkt noloako ut nigich brak cetosk ut bo engot bo eweqet (It's him. We must assemble the horde and destroy the boy before he matures)"

"Haav ut bo dit vikiv riik ilak. Bosh zerfo angash estonok jujo boah tuktor bish engaf (But the boy is merely nine cycles. He requires another sixteen before he realizes his power)" The smaller mongrel stated.

"Jre rerjo bich unk, brak ut Eketna dül ebot gevin wutro ot engaf (We kill him now, and the Signa will lose millenia worth of power)" The deformed one went to the intercom and let loose an ear-splitting roar.

Thousands more replied to him, chanting for the death of the only one able to stop them.

Author's Note:

Late update, hope you guys enjoy, and as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next