• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
Fall of an Empire (VI of VIII)


From the north, a massive horde of carrier, fire and flier dragons looked out to the burning city. To the south, wolves, griffons and terra dragons waited on the hill. Ember flew to meet Moon on his side, and they ran to each other frantickly.

"He went into the city!" Moon said. "They're getting slaughtered!"

"Send them in now! We have to find Draco and the others!" Ember yelled. Moon nodded, then howled to signal the thousands of fighters to attack.

Ember charged in with Moon bounding to keep up with her. The ground seemed to tremble as the massive forces cracked down on the unsuspecting griffons. The battle took place further into the city, which the dragons overran instantly. The wounded took cover as their comrades rained down with spears and fire. The turrets and catapults built into the inner plazas were useless against the flanking forces. Ember slashed a griffon's throat then sunk her daggers into a turreter's heart. Moon dodged a barrage of arrows, ducked under a wooden pike, then clamped the metal pincers around the drivers head. After crushing it and violently shaking, Moon kicked the wooden support out from underneath it to topple the weapon.

Ember breathed a coat of flames over herself, creating a blistering hot suit of fire. She tackled and bashed into griffon's, setting them ablaze and causing them to shriek in pain. A wall of wooden pikes coming down forced her into a nearby doorway. A body tripped her up, and she barely managed to move her tail out of the way. She was about to join the battle when the body started groaning. Ember's eyes widened as she realized who she had tripped over.

"Draco!" Ember helped him sit up, glancing at his wounds. "What happened?! Draco?! DRACO!"

Draco coughed under his helmet, blood dripping out from under his helmet. "…Em…Ember," he croaked, grunting as he tried moving.

"Just stay here!" Ember cried. Her lizard like eyes sharpened as she stepped onto the street, an angry glare replacing the usual grimace.

Roaring loudly, Ember charged back into the warriors, Moon leaping from a building and body slamming a griffon. They slashed through the bastards one at a time, Ember tearing her tail into their heads and using her daggers to slice open gashes in their bodies before the kill blow. Moon headbutted for the most part, but his helmet stabbed into their faces and gave him a chance to use his jaws or cut into them with his claws. Even with the help of the fighters, Ember fought wildly ahead of them, and each time Moon tried to catch up she seemed to get further and further. Bodies were left in her wake as she fought with all of her skill and energy.

Moon slashed a griffons spear in half then tore his claws down his throat. The wolves behind him pounced on the other griffons and started to maul them. His brothers fell by the dozen, but their deaths were mourned with the death of a griffon. He dislocated a griffons shoulder with a buck, and a wolf snapped its jaw shut around the back of his head. Moon looked over to Ember, who was fighting off five griffons at once. Her tail gored one's head, while her fire set another ablaze and she tossed her two daggers into the others eyes. The final one had the privilege of having his head turned all the way around, then pulled out of place.

The final squads of the griffons laid on their bellies with their armors thrown about. Moon rounded up the surviving enemies and gathered them in the southern plaza to be kept in restraints. Ember searched through the streets for the doorway where she left Draco. She saw him stumbling against the wall; falling to the floor when he tripped over a dragon. Ember came over to him and rested his head on her lap, looking over the wounds. His thigh was punctured by his own armor and a gash was gushing blood. The red liquid was also running down his arm from an arrow in his shoulder.

"I…I…"

"Shh," Ember hushed, untying the straps of his gauntlets. "Don't speak."

"They… they're… all de-dead… aren't they?" he grunted as Ember pulled the armor off of his arm.

"There are survivors, Draco," she laughed softly, tapping the arrow and getting a loud grunt. "You were supposed-"

"-to wait," Draco groaned. "I know… but we… I thought we needed to keep going… and now they're all-"

Ember placed a claw on his lip, shaking her head softly. "Stop… please, Draco," she whispered. "I'm going to take the arrow out. Ready?"

He nodded slowly, gripping her claws tightly. "Ready."

She took hold of the wood, then yanked hard. Her scaled fingers were squeezed as Draco's body strained and jerked painfully. He groaned lowly as she wrapped a bandage over the wound and around his arm. Moon came galloping over with Shadow and Peck, the three looking in shock at his wounds.

"What happened?" Moon questioned, using his claws to removed the bent metal.

"I - shhhhiit - I charged… too early," Draco laughed weakly. He glanced over to the body of General Inferno, then to Shadow and Peck. "No way… in Tartarus."

The two laughed and nodded as they came closer. "Long time no see, Draco," Shadow chuckled. "You look… built."

Peck nodded, smirking at Ember. "And pretty cute," she said with a wink. Draco shook his head while Shadow rolled his eyes. "How's everything been, buddy?"

Draco grunted as Moon pulled off the armor over his thigh. "B-Better," he strained. "S-So… you two… are the rebel leaders?"

They nodded proudly. "Yep. This resistance has been going before the dragons got involved, and that was what? Seven years ago?" Shadow smiled. "We got captured a month back… lost some good pals of mine and Peck's."

Peck sadly nodded, placing a talon on Shadow's shoulder. "So are you two courting?" Moon asked. "Or, how they say, dating?"

Shadow and Peck glanced at each other, then bursted into laughs. "Shadow got hitched a long time ago!" Peck chuckled, rubbing his cheek. "Guess I missed out, huh?"

Shadow laughed as he pushed her talon away. "I got married to a factory girl, few years ago," he smiled. "Had a cub, too. Name's Little Beak. Sweet and… was with her Ma when this shit went down."

Ember snapped her gaze over to Shadow. "Little Beak is your daughter?" she asked.

"Did you find her?" Shadow quickly questioned. "Is she okay? How's Gladia?"

"I met Little Beak when we freed the workers at Graphite. Your daughter told me I saved Gladia, and she asked me to find you," Ember explained. "They're in the southern part of the Minotaur Republic. They're safe… I had a pack of carrier dragons escort them personally."

Shadow sighed with relief, smiling softly. "Thank you." Ember nodded, turning back to Draco as he gripped the stone wall beside him and tried standing.

"Draco, you have to rest," Ember said, pulling him back down gently. "You might not make it to Gryphos for-"

"I'm making it," Draco grunted. "I'm making it." She could see the look of determination, and the slightest flicker of black in his eyes.

"Draco. You have a punctured thigh and a wounded shoulder," Moon said. "If you take another hit-"

"I said," Draco growled, "I'm fine." He stood on his two feet, strapping on the shoulder plate and leg armor.

His two friends could tell he wasn't letting this go so easily. Shadow and Peck were shocked by his aggressive tone, but it was obvious to them as well. "We have to stick together," Ember warned. "We'll need to keep our ranks tightly defended and you have to keep back."

Draco sighed and adjusted his grip on her claw. "I'll be fine, Mom," he chuckled lightly. Even if he was hurt, Ember smacked the back of his head with her tail.

Moon looked over the damaged armor once more. "Remember what you told me, Draco," Moon said softly. "We're all going back the way we came in."

Draco nodded. "No more… no less."

Author's Note:

We are nearing the end, my friends. NO NOT THAT END! The end end that is. As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next