• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
A Promise is a Promise

Draco sat beside Ember's bed, holding her hand as their daughter played with her mother's tail. She hiccuped softly, a small cloud of smoke escaping her nostrils. Her father chuckled softly, then leaned his head against his fiancé's.

"What do you think her first word will be?" Ember whispered, her tail tickling her daughter. She pulled her closer with her free hand and nuzzled her. Dawn fussed a bit before returning the gesture with a small coo.

Draco smiled some as he ran his fingers over her claw, letting the smooth feeling etch itself into his memory. "How would we know that?" he chuckled. "She's only a week old."

Ember's tail moved away from Dawn and flicked her lover's head. "Aren't you hopeful for her first word to be 'daddy' or 'papa'?" she asked.

"Eeeegh!" Dawn gurgled. "Aaah."

"Maybe she'll pick up on Neric, disha jro? (won't you?)" Draco laughed. She only giggled at his native language, then leaned over to play with their entwined hands.

They watched their daughter laugh as she touched her mother's scales, then moved to her father's smoother skin. Ember could see the signs of thought in his expression, and it was only a matter of waiting for him to talk. His grip slowly tightened as he held her desperately, then a small droplet landed on Ember's arm. He closed his eyes as his tears ran down his cheeks, and all she could do was do the same. She moved her hand up to his face and caressed him like he'd done for her so many times.

"I love you, Ember," he sniffled, his voice quivering in his low tone. "No matter what happens, I'm going to protect you. Both of you. Dawn's going to grow up and live her life out... and you and I will be there for her."

"Of course," Ember laughed gently, pressing her head against his. "We'll be there when she walks. When she flies for her first time. When she matures... and you'll be there to walk her down the aisle."

She could see his broken smile as tears streamed down their faces. Her claws traced along his cheek down to his chin, lifting his head up to hers. They were still so young, but they'd been through more than most could say. A prince of a foreign world, and a princess of another. None of that mattered to them but the love they held so dearly. Slowly, Ember inched towards his face until their lips touched, their mouths opening just slightly to embrace one another. It was a passionate kiss like most others, one they shared on occasion, but they could never shake how comforting it was. When they separated, Ember looked into his cosmic eyes, and he looked into her emerald ones.

And they both smiled.

"How much longer?" Ember finally asked. "Until you finish training?"

He sighed softly and looked down to Dawn. She teethed on her mother's wrist while they spoke, her wings moving from time to time. "They say another three months. The first two and a half will be to strengthen both me and Nyla," he explained, moving his right hand to Ember's cheek. "The rest... is for my Illness."

Ember sighed and closed her eyes, placing claw over his hand.

"I want to have the wedding before this happens."

Ember lifted her head up to him, astonishment across her face. "Draco... but... we need time to plan everything," she reminded him.

He smiled. "And who says there's a lot to plan? It's just going to be friends and family, right?" Draco ran his fingers over the small ring on her middle claw, thinking about what their wedding would be like.

Ember sighed softly, and shook her head. "No." Draco looked up to her in shock, and she chuckled before kissing his lips again. "You promised me we would become a family, and we have. You promised me you would always be with me, and you are... but... I want to know you're coming back."

His expression shifted to a small amount of joy and sadness as she ran her claws through his mane.

"I want to wait until after this is all over. Then... then we can finally be together." Draco sighed again, but he nodded and kissed her snout.

"I'm coming back, Ember," he whispered. "I promised you, and now I'm promising Dawn that we'll be together after all this."

Their daughter yawned softly, snuggling into her mother's arm. "I know," Ember smiled, stroking Dawn's spines.

Draco kissed her cheek one last time before standing up. Dawn opened her eyes and gurgled at him, laughing as he looked down to her from his massive height. He walked to the door, then turned and looked to the side.

"When they come... stay by their side and protect them... please." Urishana smiled to him, and nodded her head. "Thank you."

"Do not thank me, Reku'un," she chuckled. "We all trust that you will know what to do when hard times come. Your father did. And his father before him. You are no different from any of them, because you are an Alamonshuor."

She held her left hand over her heart, and nodded firmly. "He'll figure it out," Ember smiled. "And if he doesn't, Moon will knock it into him."

They laughed together, and Draco scratched his head. "He's got a knack for that," he sheepishly shrugged. "But I'm going to try."

Urishana and Ember nodded, and Draco exited the room. Outside, Jaqeluu and Figanti looked to the Doshu’um, and the Alamonshuors nodded. "We start tomorrow. The sooner we start, the sooner you'll be ready," Figanti told him.

Are you ready, Nyla?

I've always been as ready as you are.

Draco laughed softly, looking down to his insignia and smiling.

I hope so.

Author's Note:

I've been under the radar for a while. Sorry guys :twilightblush: I had some issues that needed attention, and a bit of procrastination, but I'm back! Hope you guys are still with me, and, as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next