• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,979 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,979

PreviousChapters Next
The Situation


Figanti and Jerosh coordinated the rest of their fleet, and soon the entire Loki'irian army was positioned in the Earth's atmosphere and the moon's. Agner, Jaqeluu, Fermot, and Derekosh were told by their uncle and oldest brother to stay with the League of Thirteen and the dreadnaughts. But they were also planning to bring the boy's Nera'ak to him. First, however, the eldest brother and his uncle, leader of the League, were to speak with Celestia and Luna. They asked that Draco be kept out, so that they didn't add to the overwhelming information of his kind and his real family.

It was Celestia's worst nightmare.

She had always expected the day when she would have to tell Draco where he came from, or what he was. But she knew nothing about him or his kind, only how she found him. His love for her as a mother blinded him from those questions, and she was guilty for not telling him herself. She waited with her younger sister in the throne room, nervously gazing around the room as she thought back to the first night he was given to her. Luna watched her solar sister panicking silently, and she placed a hoof on her shoulder to calm her slightly.

"Do you think they'll take him away?" Celestia asked immediately.

"They are his family, but I'm sure they'll allow him to stay. You are his mother as of the day he was given to you," Luna smiled. "But if he stays, what should we tell the… creatures?"

Before Celestia could respond, the doors to the throne room were pushed aside quickly. Figanti rose a brow at the weak doors, but the sisters held a small bit of interest. It took at least three Solar guards to open the doors by hoof, and from the look of it the warrior had expected them to be heavier. Aside from his impressive strength, he and Jerosh were both garned in strange cloths, unlike the menacing armors they wore. And, interestingly enough, their clothes were beautifully crafted, revealing their muscled torsos and covering their lower regions and tightly woven around their thighs, reaching down to their knees. The clothes were each black, as well as the mark running up their arms like Draco. The two warriors stopped at the bottom of the staircase, then got on one knee, placed a knuckle on the ground, and bowed.

"You needn't bow," Celestia said, earning a questioning glance from her sister.

"It is a tradition to your subjects, no?" Figanti questioned, standing with his nephew.

"You are guests from another world, and my son's true family," Celestia said, a bit neutral. "It isn't neccessary."

Jerosh shrugged to his uncle, then they both sat on the ground, crossing their legs. "Then you'll understand if we honor our own traditions," Jerosh said respectfully. Celestia nodded.

"What is it you called us here for?" Luna questioned, interested on the way they had a perfect understanding of their language.

Figanti sighed, allowing Jerosh to speak. "We wish to speak about Reku'un… or Draco, as you call him," he stated, taking note of the subtle tension of Celestia's body.

"You want to take him," Celestia softly said.

They nodded hesitantly. "From what I saw the other day, you and him have bonded as a son would with his true mother," Figanti sighed. "That is why it is that much harder."

"But you'll be willing to take him, even if it breaks either of their hearts," Luna stated sternly, her eyes narrowing.

The two looked at each other, Jerosh nodding for his uncle to explain. "It is not our choice," Figanti told them.

"Of course it is, you could remain above the planet and see Draco regularly," Celestia suggested, but Figanti shook his head.

"We aren't staying around this planet for long," Jerosh explained. "When we leave, Reku'un must be on the capital ship."

"Why?" Celestia questioned. "I made a promise to his mother that I'd always protect him, no matter-"

"He is the next ruler," Figanti interrupted. "You know nothing of our customs or our rule. My nephew is young, and terribly under-trained for an Alamonshuor. But when he grows older, he will be the strongest of us and he will be the means of ending this war."

"What war?" Luna questioned. "You've dragged us into a war?!"

"You've never seen an Arthanian?" Jerosh asked, disbelieving.

"The wolves?" Celestia asked. "We encountered one two years ago. A… monster."

They grinned happily, chuckling. "I told you he slayed a Govek," Jerosh laughed. "He isn't as sloppy as we thought."

Figanti's smile faded quickly. "The boy had help, you know," Figanti growled, causing his nephew to quiet down. "This war has gone on for thousands of years. With his coronation, he will mark the millionth year of our conflict."

Celestia's and Luna's jaw dropped. "One million years?!" They exclaimed.

"And counting," Figanti sighed. "We've fought for so long… so many we've lost."

They felt the pain he was feeling, knowing that war was bloody enough it went on for a few years, but theirs had gone on for a million years. Countless lives had to have been lost.

"We never thought they would attack Loki'ir," Jerosh said softly. He thought back to the day the ships appeared in the sky, blackening the beautiful day. "They launched their entire horde at us. Trillions of soldiers… even more scouts… and thousands of Alphas. It was taken in under an hour… A GARDTA HOUR!"

Figanti put a hand on his nephew's shoulder, easing him before he said something regrettable. "Billions lost… barely any made it to the shuttles… and Loki'ir burned before our eyes," Figanti nearly muttered, remembering his beloved's death. "Do you know why he was named Reku'un?"

Celestia shook her head.

"Long ago, near the turning point of the war, the Makti, our leader, was overthrown."

"Was it a revolution?" Luna questioned.

"We haven't had one in our history," Jerosh explained. "In our culture, the Makti or Doshu'um, the Makti's son, can be challenged at any time from adolescence to adulthood. Hudak was challenged and beaten by the greatest warrior of our family."

"His name… was Reku'un Alamonshuor," Figanti said, pride in his voice.

"Draco was named after him?" Celestia asked. "Or… is he a reincarnation? Reborn?"

Figanti chuckled and shook his head. "We do not name the future Makti," he smiled. "An Oracle that has survived the million year war has looked into the future of every Makti and named him from that. My nephew was named Reku'un."

"The first Reku'un was a warrior of unparalleled warriors," Jerosh said. "He cleansed dozens of worlds from the wrath of the horde, slaughtered billions of the beasts, and kept true to his role as Makti. No Makti has ever accomplished what he did… and he gave his life protecting the galaxy as the Makti have always done."

"So… Draco is the prince of your race?" Celestia asked. Figanti nodded hesitantly.

"Prince is a rough term, but you lack words to explain it," Figanti sighed. "His father, Gonak Alamonshuor, was Makti for 67 cycles."

"How long is that?" Luna asked.

"By the pattern of your planet's rotation, that would be about 130 years old," Jerosh said. "He was… a great father… a loving one."

Figanti wrapped his arm around his nephew, patting his back. "He was. I never understood why he chose Reku'un, after five boys that were strong and powerful," Figanti admitted. "But he must have had his reasons. When Reku'un was born… he was barely strong enough to breathe. He was in a medical branch for two weeks… The doctors said he would be lucky to survive half a cycle… maybe even one passing of the moon."

"But… he's perfectly fine," Celestia stated, standing up. "He's gotten better, yes?"

"He has… but he's always been a runt," Figanti said. "He's weak, even weaker than those his age. He has messy training, nearly no control of his energy, and he hasn't even gotten a proper grip on the Ashla."

"You said… the Ashla?" Celestia questioned, standing up. "What is that?"

"Have you heard of it?" Jerosh questioned, surprised she knew about it.

She remembered… The day Draco murdered Captain Silver in front of her, Cadence, Blueblood and Twilight. "He was… controlled by a monster. It took his body and made him… made him kill my captain. He was so violent and crazed… I didn't know what to do."

Figanti stood up, as well as Jerosh. "That was the Ashla," Figanti told her. "Every Makti has it's essence… but Gonak must have passed it on to him before he… was defeated."

"It's a monster," Celestia said nastily. "It forced my son to do horrible things that he could never control, and he was just a boy! Why is it in him?! What is the point of a monster?!"

"The Ashla is not a monster," Figanti said sternly. "It is not an animal, either. The Ashla contains the power of every Makti before him, the memories of his family, the wisdom of warriors stronger than myself. He was never meant to control it… only co-exist with it and fight together."

"It murdered my captain," Celestia repeated. "If it was as noble as you make it out to be, why did it murder my friend?"

"The Ashla can see darkness in a being's eyes, their very soul," Figanti explained. "If your Captain Silver was killed by it, then the Ashla must have seen evils in him… or an intent to kill."

Celestia backpedalled mentally. "He was my most trusted guard. He wouldn't want to kill my son," she argued.

"That is not for me to say, only the Ashla," Figanti told her. "But if it's in him, there is no doubt he will be the next Makti."

"Why must he be the next ruler?" Luna asked. "You both seem stronger. Would it not be reasonable to take the position as Makti? You are his father's brother."

"I am the leader of the League of Thirteen. I cannot rule, not only because of that fact, but because I could never handle that much raw power, none of us could," Figanti explained. "The League was meant to guide the Doshu'um and Makti when the Makti could not teach his son. We swore to train Reku'un and every Doshu'um after him, so long as we lived. His brothers were to help, and Reku'un would one day lead us against the horde. That is why the Oracle named him Reku'un. I know that he WILL be the next greatest warrior. He will end this war, bring peace to the galaxies around, and finally end the countless deaths our people have suffered."

"He will be the ruler of what is left of our people," Jerosh added. "He'll guide us, search for a new home with us, and we will be a family once more."

Celestia stared at them both, her mind working to process everything and replay it back to her.

Her son was not only a member of a warrior race and clan, but their next ruler. And not only that, but he was to be their greatest warrior, the one who they believed would end a million year old war, and bring peace to the galaxies. His mother and father died to protect him, a runt among the strongest. The monster inside of him was the link he had to his father and their ancestors, and it was what gave him his power. They would fight the vast number of Arthanians that came, and one day stand atop the pile of bodies and declare the end of it all. But to do that, blood would need to be shed, lives needed to be taken, and her son would have to train to be as strong as them.

But she wouldn't be able to be with him.

"If he doesn't grow up to become Makti… millions of worlds will be barren wastelands within a year," Jerosh told them. "Trillions of races gone… we will all be killed… and the horde will spread out until they reach every corner of the universe. He was always meant to end them… He and only he can stop the fighting, the death, and do what our ancestors could not. My father believed this, my mother believed this, my brothers believe this… and I believe this."

"As well as I," Figanti nodded. "He must train, fight, and spar with us. Or we will all face death empty handed and de-limbed."

Author's Note:

It's been a while, so here you go! As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night!

PreviousChapters Next